PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Ariza and Aaron Brooks clash in Houston

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/105763-rumor-did-trevor-ariza-and-aaron-brooks-clash-in-houston

Trevor Ariza was traded to the Hornets on Wednesday as part of a four-team trade.His departure may help team chemistry, as Ariza reportedly had a 'troubled relationship' with Aaron Brooks.

HoopsVibe's Very Quick Call: The Houston Rockets created cap space and a starting position for scorer Kevin Martin, but this may not be the reason Trevor Ariza was traded.

Apparently, Ariza and Aaron Brooks had issues, so the Rockets dealt their blue-collar swing to preserve chemistry.

Fair enough.

Coach Rick Adelman's defensive system depends on effort and trust. Players have to work together. Players have to believe in each other. Players have to put the team first.

Ariza and Brooks' issues could have compromised Adelman's entire scheme. So somebody had to go. Brooks is a speedy point guard, while Martin and the inflated payroll made Ariza expendable.

The club has done this before. Last year, Tracy McGrady was paid to stay home because his comeback was alienating teammates and coaches. Eventually, he was shipped to the New York Knicks.

The Rockets are hoping their team-first approach with Ariza and McGrady is rewarded with playoff success.

Hellcrooner
08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
IMo when such a thing happens the team has to trade BOTH players. Letting One player know he is in a stronger position than the others in teh roster and that if you infuriate him youll be traded is not a good thing chemistry wise.

Jays Claw
08-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Ariza and Brooks' issues could have compromised Adelman's entire scheme. So somebody had to go.

The Rockets would have taken a few steps back had they traded Brooks.

sofargone
08-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Ariza was overrated to begin with.

Ollie Tabooger
08-15-2010, 02:56 PM
^ yes, definitely. Brooks>>>>>>>Ariza. Plain and simple.

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
IMo when such a thing happens the team has to trade BOTH players. Letting One player know he is in a stronger position than the others in teh roster and that if you infuriate him youll be traded is not a good thing chemistry wise.

though I agree with you, it also depends on the situation and the player.

What if your Lakers did the same. What position would they be in now?

Avenged
08-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Quite shocking, actually.

I remember the Rockets really trying hard for to land Ariza and promised him a major role. He was suppose to the be #1 option in Houston (since Yao was out for the season), but looks like everything went downhill for Trevor.

His agent got greedy and Trevor paid the consequences. He could have still been a Laker gunning for a 3-peat.

He's not fitted as a 1-3 option.

NBAfan4life
08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
How much you wanna bet that ariza regrets his decision to leave the Lakers for the rockets now. I liked him I kind of wished he had stayed but either way the Lakers are fine. A few years for now it would be better having him vs artest though

Iron24th
08-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Sound like he will become a journeyman again if he doesn't perform at NO.

Reyes6
08-15-2010, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu7LxM22Mgo

Oh.

Khalifa21
08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
He was a bit of a chucker, maybe that contributed to him and Brooks falling out.

John Walls Era
08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm glad it was Ariza and not Brooks. I remember how awful Ariza played at the beginning of the year.

RaiderLakersA's
08-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Quite shocking, actually.

I remember the Rockets really trying hard for to land Ariza and promised him a major role. He was suppose to the be #1 option in Houston (since Yao was out for the season), but looks like everything went downhill for Trevor.

His agent got greedy and Trevor paid the consequences. He could have still been a Laker gunning for a 3-peat.
He's not fitted as a 1-3 option.

I don't think Ariza had a choice. From what I read, the Lakers never extended an offer to Ariza. They knew they were going for Artest and that Artest wanted to be a Laker. That left Ariza without a team no matter what.

I don't blame him for going for a decent contract in Houston. It's unfortunate for him that things didn't work out. He'll be in a slightly better position in NO with CP3. I don't think Ariza can be "the man," but he can definitely help out a superstar.

AddiX
08-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Every Year there is a team that pays a player a bunch of money- long term just to trade them before the next season starts.

It really makes you realize just how little the people running the show know about what they are doing.

Avenged
08-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't think Ariza had a choice. From what I read, the Lakers never extended an offer to Ariza. They knew they were going for Artest and that Artest wanted to be a Laker. That left Ariza without a team no matter what.

I don't blame him for going for a decent contract in Houston. It's unfortunate for him that things didn't work out. He'll be in a slightly better position in NO with CP3. I don't think Ariza can be "the man," but he can definitely help out a superstar.

If I remember correctly, the Lakers had an offer for Ariza but were unwilling to pay him more than the mid level exception at 5.6 million. His agent and himself wanted more money seeing as 5 other teams were interested in him and tested the market. Ariza then became disappointed at the Lakers for not increasing their offer, and the Lakers moved a long to have talks with Artest.

lakerfan3118
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Not really surprised here. Once the Kevin Martin deal took place last year, Ariza's contract was pretty much expendable. They got a 4-year salary off the books relatively easily; a victory in and of itself.

Big Quett
08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Ariza was overrated to begin with.

this....and its amazing how good a player looks playing next to Kobe, Pau and Lamar.

Kakaroach
08-15-2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu7LxM22Mgo

Oh. I don't know how much you can take away from that, a lot of shooters do that from time to time.

Anyway, thats surprising. You wouldn't guess Ariza the type to complain or be a bad presence in the locker room.

The Raven
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Should of just stayed with the Lakers

Verbal Christ
08-16-2010, 06:24 PM
ariza would have performed better with the return of yao, but if it came down to either AB or Ariza it was a no brainer for real, and why in the hell would anyone suggest that both players be traded and that it sends back bad signals chemistry wise to the team??? dude maybe in some situations if both players were complete *******s, but aaron brooks is a likeable guy, everyone on the team gets along with him, but for whatever reason he and ariza clashed, and that was that, if anything it shows how smart the rockets GM is to notice his mistake and still be able to get a contributing piece in return.

arkanian215
08-16-2010, 07:08 PM
This is the only moment I remember about Ariza from last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrgd5v184Xs

lakerfan3118
08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
\
Anyway, thats surprising. You wouldn't guess Ariza the type to complain or be a bad presence in the locker room.

Ehhh, for the sake of the argument, he didn't get along with Larry Brown in New York when he was drafted, and he was furstrated about PT in Orlando.

MOREY=MONEY
08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
First off, I'm a big fan of this trade it evens out the Rockets roster. On the other hand know one knows what the relationship was or is between Brooks and Ariza and I don't think it is fair to judge ones character or to tarnish anyones reputation on pure speculation. Not saying we as fans are doing that but if you add enough voices saying the same thing the consesus is confused for fact.

I simply believe Ariza was brought in for a partcular need in which the organization felt he did not completely fullfill. Then along comes Martin. Next the trade obtained a sizeable trade exception(Morey compiling assets) and a young player they covet.

So Ariza became expendable. No shock factor with Morey in charge.

Excellent business management!

MOREY=MONEY
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
sorry for the double post. posting on my phone.

VIP1349
08-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Maybe it was just the fact I didn't like most of the Lakers and he seemed like the one that was the Good Guy of the group, kind of didn't imagine Ariza being a guy that could disrupt the team at all.

Rafer17
08-16-2010, 07:54 PM
He didnt drive the lane enough...I always thought he was a little bit overrated. With a good PG (Cp3) who will inflate his stats alot this year, he could be a MIP candidate.

And obviously Aaron Brooks >>> Trevor Ariza

Aaron Brooks is extremely underrated.

blazerman
08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I wouldnt have minded picking up Ariza, especially for the peanuts they let him go for.

lakerfan3118
08-16-2010, 08:25 PM
He was a bit of a chucker, maybe that contributed to him and Brooks falling out.

Eh, Brooks isn't exactly the most 'conservative' shooter, either.

astrosmaniac
08-16-2010, 08:39 PM
no, but he was a hell of a lot better lol

Hawkeye15
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I watched Ariza with the Lakers, and watched a ton of Rockets games last year. While I think Brooks should be the high scoring spark off the bench on a great team, and is in no way a great starting PG due to his propensity to shoot first, ask questions later, I watched Ariza get away from his calling card, defense. He had at least one or two shots a game last season, where it appeared he was attempting to justify his contract, and made you wonder if you were watching a taller version of Alston due to shot selection. Ariza took a major step back as a player, and it was shown he is nothing more than a 4th option who should concentrate on defense and getting out in the open when possible.
Brooks, Houston fans have to hope, doesn't let this stuff go to his head and think he won something or other. I still think Lowry should start over him, and he should be used like Jason Terry, or Vinnie Johnson for you old timers.
All in all, this was a salary dump for the Rockets, who are now left with the same flexibility they had 2 months ago. They lost this trade on paper, but not in the locker room, or in the accounting books

Hawkeye15
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
I will add, N.O. is getting an overpaid player who is no better than a 4th option who should be playing defense. Getting Ariza isn't going to help the Paul situation, though Paul makes EVERYONE he plays with look way better than they are, so who knows.

thescore53
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
ariza is a headcase he needs to moss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrgd5v184Xs)