PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger expects Pacers to make a trade for a bigman soon

spreadeagle
08-15-2010, 05:50 AM
NEW YORK -- First, Larry Bird said it. Now, Danny Granger is being even more specific about what type of move the Indiana Pacers soon could make.

Asked by FanHouse on Friday in Springfield, Mass., where Bird was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame along with members of the 1992 Olympic Dream Team, the Pacers president said the team needs to make another trade before the start of the regular season. Asked by FanHouse about Bird's comments, Granger said management has told him to expect a move, and he figures they will look to acquire a big man.

"We're not done yet," Granger said after scoring 22 points for Team USA in a scrimmage Saturday against China at Madison Square Garden. "I talked to management, and we're not done yet. What will happen, I don't know yet. We're still mulling over it. But we got a few things still up our sleeve."

Granger let it be known what the Pacers need after recently dealing power forward Troy Murphy to New Jersey in a four-team trade which netted Indiana point guard Darren Collison and small forward James Posey from New Orleans.

"We're going to have to go after another big, I'm sure," said the 6-foot-8 Granger. "Losing Troy, he was great. I can play the (power forward) but I'm not a true (power forward). So we're definitely going to have to add another big, and I think that will be our main focus."

The Pacers have the expiring contracts of Mike Dunleavy ($10.56 million), T.J. Ford ($8.78 million) and Jeff Foster ($6.66 million) to dangle in trades. That Murphy has an expiring contract worth $11.97 million played a role in the Pacers getting into the four-team deal, enabling them to acquire a much-needed point guard.

"I love them," Granger said of the trade acquisitions. "I really love them. As soon as it happened, I called Darren Collison because I was really excited about it ... Amazing point guard. What he did for New Orleans when Chris Paul was out (the second half of last season with a knee injury). And I think in our system he'll really thrive. And he shot it well. I think, when he got drafted, they didn't know how good of a shooter he was."

The 6-foot Collison shot 40 percent from three-point range as a rookie last season. He averaged 12.4 points and 5.7 assists.

Now that the Hornets have gotten a key small man, they'll turn their attention to a big man.

Any ideas on who they might try to grab? Not sure on how many teams want TJ ford lol

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Those expirings can be intriguing for any team looking to make a splash in FA or just looking for some cap relief next season. I really hope they get a decent replacement for Murphy with it.

LakersIn5
08-15-2010, 06:45 AM
kwame browns expiring was very instrumental when the lakers got gasol.. so ford, dunleavy and foster can be too

Khalifa21
08-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Yeah, it's pretty obvious they'll move for a big man... A starting frontcourt of Tyler Hansbrough and Roy Hibbert ain't gonna cut it.

J-Relo
08-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Who is available?

spreadeagle
08-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Who is available?

Dampier?

bigsams50
08-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Diaw's available... IDK what good he'd do them though

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Who is available?

Emeka Okafor, Marcus Camby, Jason Thompson, Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass? :shrug:

FarOutIos
08-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Emeka Okafor, Marcus Camby, Jason Thompson, Marcin Gortat, Brandon Bass? :shrug:

As a kings fan... I think we would part with Jason or Carl Landry. But not for TJ Ford. I think George Paul and Lance Stephensen are the only players I would want on our team.

I doubt either one will be included in a trade.

DJBlazin
08-15-2010, 08:06 AM
I am probably one of the few sixers fans that want to hold on to him another year but I know Brand is available. Brand for Dunleavy and Foster would work.

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
As a kings fan... I think we would part with Jason or Carl Landry. But not for TJ Ford. I think George Paul and Lance Stephensen are the only players I would want on our team.

I doubt either one will be included in a trade.

you won't want Collison or Granger... i think you mean realistically right?

And its not just TJ, but also Foster, Dunleavy and maybe even future picks which figure to be lottery or late teens.

With the bright future you guys have there is a legit possibility that you'd be able t lure marquee FAs and those expirings will prove to be VERY valuable if such a trade goes down. I don't think they'd do it for Landry however, he's just not enough to fill the rebounding void that the lost for Murphy and Foster would.

Swashcuff
08-15-2010, 08:23 AM
I am probably one of the few sixers fans that want to hold on to him another year but I know Brand is available. Brand for Dunleavy and Foster would work.

that will work for us.... but the Pacers would NEVER be stupid enough to take one of the top 5 worst contracts in the NBA for expirings.

Hellcrooner
08-15-2010, 10:30 AM
lets see good big men that want ot be trhown out because of contract. so they woudl be traded for expirings.

Jamisn, Brand, Okafor???

AddiX
08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Mike Dunleavy makes 10.56 Mill?

WTF, when did that happen? No wonder these teams are losing money. I can't even comprehend what someone saw that they would pay him that much.

PrettyBoyJ
08-15-2010, 10:39 AM
they should try and get zach Randolph or Marc Gasol.. they may not be available but they seem like both would fit in well in Indiana

black1605
08-15-2010, 10:47 AM
they should try and get zach Randolph or Marc Gasol.. they may not be available but they seem like both would fit in well in Indiana

Why would Memphis even take this phone call?

Rocco007
08-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Omeka is a definate option...
N.O. would do that yesterday...
Kenyon Martin...But he won't be ready until mid season...
Jamison is probably available...But he isn't really a big man...He plays small...
Eddie Curry...low gamble expiring contract...
Z Randolph always seems to be available...lol...He may be the most productive option...

Rocco007
08-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Z Randolph makes big money...17.6 Mil in 2010 to be exact...It expires next summer though....So perhaps they may like Dunleavy as a cheaper option to re-sign...and still have TJ Ford's expring contract to deal or get off the books...I see a possibility...

IndyRealist
08-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Mike Dunleavy makes 10.56 Mill?

WTF, when did that happen? No wonder these teams are losing money. I can't even comprehend what someone saw that they would pay him that much.

Golden State gave Dunleavy that contract, the Pacers are just riding it out.

IversonIsKrazy
08-15-2010, 03:15 PM
They should go after EMeka Okafor

MrfadeawayJB
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
they should try and get zach randolph or marc gasol.. They may not be available but they seem like both would fit in well in indiana

no!!!!!

MrfadeawayJB
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM

^^^^^
This :clap:

abe_froman
08-15-2010, 03:43 PM
try the kings or wolves,they are overloaded with em

AddiX
08-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Golden State gave Dunleavy that contract, the Pacers are just riding it out.

Yeah I know, but it's still crazy. Dude shouldnt be anything more than a bench player no matter where he plays. Making damn near 11 mill. WTF was management thinking?

lakerfan3118
08-15-2010, 04:22 PM
They should go after EMeka Okafor

No one would go near his overloaded contract.

Sports Illustrator
08-15-2010, 05:21 PM
If they can get someone at the starting 4, they would be good. I do think Roy Hibbert can be a nice Center in the future. I think Antwan Jamison could be the best option even though there will be concerns with his defense. I am not sure how easy it will be for them to be able to acquire Antwan Jamison, but I do think he'd be a nice fit as a number 2 option on offense. It will also make things a lot easier for Darren Collison as the PG of the team.

Sadds The Gr8
08-15-2010, 05:31 PM

don't think Camby is available they re-signed him for a reason. The rest probably are though. Add Elton Brand in the list maybe?

Lo Porto
08-15-2010, 05:39 PM
AK47 and Okur for Dunleavy, Foster, Ford and a 1st rounder makes a ton of sense.

Why for Indy: AK and Okur are proven winners. AK's natural position is PF and Okur can play PF and C. Adding those two skilled big men to the current roster would turn Indy into a strong sleeper this year. I don't see why Indy would pass on this deal.

Why for Utah: The Jazz lose more talent than they gain, but the Jazz also save about $4 million on the deal if you consider the luxury. Ford would improve backup PG, Foster would give Utah a quality C behind Big Al, and Dunleavy could be a great bench player for Utah. Add in that Utah also won't have to pay Okur his contract for 2011-12 and I think Utah would do it.

Avenged
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Zach Randolph will not be traded, at least not in my opinion.

I don't see why the Grizz would want to let him go after he put up a great season for them.

Giantwarrior
08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Andris Biedrins is probably available.

DeyAce
08-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Is Hansborough good?

KnicksorBust
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM
They should trade every asset they possibly have just to give Collison and Granger a young big man. AK47, Okur, Okafor... These guys aren't the asnwer. If I'm the Pacers I'd rather just let those contracts expire then take on those guys.

Sports Illustrator
08-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Zach Randolph will not be traded, at least not in my opinion.

I don't see why the Grizz would want to let him go after he put up a great season for them.

I agree, I don't think he is going to be traded either. He played very well for the Grizzlies last season and the entire coaching staff as well as the Memphis Grizzlies fans are very happy to have him on the team. Not to mention that his value went up by a lot.

If they do decide to trade him, it may likely be around February and that is IF the team doesn't play as well as they did last season.

Andris Biedrins is probably available.

What the Pacers really need is a PF. They are already set in Roy Hibbert as their future starting Center. Even if they were to bring down Hibbert to PF (which is possible), the Center that they'd bring in would need to be a scoring Center.

theducksmuggler
08-15-2010, 06:02 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=29aacsj

would pacers fans be happy with this trade? bash me if not hahaha

KnicksorBust
08-15-2010, 06:04 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=29aacsj

would pacers fans be happy with this trade? bash me if not hahaha

You don't rebuild with Brand and the Pacers aren't even close to contending.

theducksmuggler
08-15-2010, 06:06 PM
^ respect that but i kinda wanna hear what some pacers fans gotta say to

king4day
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Maybe Diaw for Dunlevy.

xmoney328
08-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Chris Kaman i could see them going after but Clippers are going to want alot....Pacers has to keep their trend going and Kaman is the man!

thekmp211
08-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Is Hansborough good?

looks like a role player but he's also been injured.

elton brand could be a decent option. such an ugly contract, though.

CityofChaos
08-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I think it might be for Andris Biedrins since he doesnt seem happy in golden state.

Avenged
08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I agree, I don't think he is going to be traded either. He played very well for the Grizzlies last season and the entire coaching staff as well as the Memphis Grizzlies fans are very happy to have him on the team. Not to mention that his value went up by a lot.

If they do decide to trade him, it may likely be around February and that is IF the team doesn't play as well as they did last season.

They also have a great frontcourt with Zach/Gasol, no reason to separate them unless they can get a player who's obviously better, but that's something the Pacers don't have, unless they trade Granger (which isn't happening).

HornetsSolution
08-15-2010, 07:06 PM
They should trade every asset they possibly have just to give Collison and Granger a young big man. AK47, Okur, Okafor... These guys aren't the asnwer. If I'm the Pacers I'd rather just let those contracts expire then take on those guys.

I think Okafor would be a nice addition to the PF position. Don't know if they are willing to take on the contract though.

HornetsSolution
08-15-2010, 07:11 PM
They also have a great frontcourt with Zach/Gasol, no reason to separate them unless they can get a player who's obviously better, but that's something the Pacers don't have, unless they trade Granger (which isn't happening).

Yeah but Mayo,Zack and Marc contracts or up. They can't sign all 3.

fadedmario
08-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Kenyon Martin?