PDA

View Full Version : Play Your Heart Out, Or Pace Yoruself

JasonJohnHorn
08-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Jordan is obviously in the conversation for GOAT (and some would say its not even a question), and he always seemed to have the ability to pace himself. Sure, he would have blow-out nights when he scored 50+, but he was a pretty consistent scorer, even from quarter to quarter. I remember in an interview somebody asked him if he would still be able to score 32 points a game at 35 years old, and he something to the effect of: Of course, 8, 8, 8, and 8. Thats easy. Jordan was the master at pacing himself, and most starters and all star players have to do that because they play big minutes, but some guys, like Jason Kidd, seem to go all out on every play (and get winded in the process and take a little time to get their legs back). Great role players off the bench obviously dont need to pace themselves and go all out because they arent on the court as long.

But how do you all think a player should approach each possession? Should they play each possession like it is their last? All hustle all the time? Are players that 'pace' themselves showing a lack of heart? Or is pacing yourself the right thing to do?

Thoughts? Any players you all respect that have one approach or another?

NBAfan4life
08-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Honestly I respect players like shane battier and bruce who knows offense gets the glory but for the most part are just spot up shooters and play there heart out on D.

superkegger
08-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know if I totally agree with your assesment of Jordan and pacing himself. Jordan never took plays off or coasted, he always played hard, and that's part of what made him great. He always gave the effort and always delivered the goods.

He did save his best for the big moments, and understood that a game in mid december wasn't as important as a game in June. And he knew he didn't have to be heroic in those December games, but like in the '96 season when they won 72 games, it was his sheer force of will that probably won them 10 games that they could have lost. So he wasn't pacing himself, he said eff this, we're winning, and then went out at won it.

Maybe it's just the terminology we're debating over here. But I just don't feel like "pacing himself" is the best way to put it.

Anyway, we saw a bit of this last year with two guys in particular, Wade and Bosh. Both were on subpar teams that they had to carry, and at some point, we kinda saw that both were still trying, and cared, but they just weren't the Wade and Bosh we knew they could be Still good, but just not as great as they could have been. And I don't necessarily blame them. What was the ceiling for those teams? Probably no matter what, first round exits is what they'd get. So why risk injury for that, when you knew that the upcoming summer was going to be a defining moment (even if they didn't know at the time just how it would play out, they still knew that whatever was in store, some big things were in store) in the landscape of the NBA. Why risk injury for maybe a chance at a couple more wins that in the grand scheme of things wouldn't make a lick of a difference?

On the flip side, I'll use Kobe. Kobe doesn't take plays, quarters, halves or games off. Of anyone playing in the NBA right now, I feel like he plays with the knowledge of what his legacy will be, or could be. He plays games like he knows there's someone in the stands that has never seen him play before, and wants that fan to go away knowing he was an all time great. He doesn't always accomplish that feat (making people walk away from a game saying, I know that guy is one of the best ever), but he always puts for the effort. As did Michael.

And that is what you want. From your franchise guy down to your 12th man. You want your guys to always give it their best. That may be a different things in different games. It might mean scoring 50 one night, or it might mean getting 11 assists another. But you always want the effort. Maybe you don't pour heart soul and passion into every game in december, but you always give it all your effort. If that makes sense.

Hellcrooner
08-14-2010, 09:41 PM
deppends on how old are you.

At crer begin you need ot gie it all, once your athelticism starts to fade you need to be wise and know how and when to put your efforst

DerekRE_3
08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Jordan didn't need to pace himself because he was such a ridiculous athlete and was in top notch condition for his whole career. At one time he was the best offensive and defensive player in the NBA. You don't do that while pacing yourself.

IversonIsKrazy
08-14-2010, 10:43 PM
So u think ppl shouldn't play with too much of a heart??

Jewelz0376
08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry but NOBODY that plays major mins in the NBA goes all out every possession...either on offense or defense they will take possessions off..

Jemikz9Clutch
08-14-2010, 11:53 PM
love is playing every game as if it's your last. -MJ

you play with your heart. MJ said it. MJ does it. even in practice, he gives his 100%. and look where it put him now.