PDA

View Full Version : Tracy McGrady on Going to Detroit: 'My Game Will Do the Talking'

JordansBulls
08-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Link (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/13/tracy-mcgrady-on-going-to-detroit-my-game-will-do-the-talking/)

Tracy McGrady understands the perception that there is little or nothing left in his game. He just doesn't buy it.

McGrady has been laying low since he agreed to terms with the Detroit Pistons earlier this week a one-year deal for the NBA minimum of $1.35 million and he won't be saying much until it becomes official next week.

Yet he also believes the Pistons could be getting a bargain when he shows the rest of the league what they were missing, turning away this summer after watching him struggle through back and knee injuries, and an arduous rehabilitation, the past couple seasons.

"My game this season will do all the talking I need to do now,'' McGrady told FanHouse Friday when reached on his cell phone. "There's no need for me to say anything else at this point.''

McGrady declined to discuss specifics, but he clearly is miffed that most everyone around the league believes he is finished at age 31, that his once-dazzling skills have eroded so badly that he wasn't worth seriously considering as a free agent.

He now feels better than he has in years. He worked out in Chicago for the Bulls, yet they didn't like what they saw and heard from him. The Clippers considered signing him, but opted against it. The Knicks had no interest in bringing him back. The Cavs considered him, but changed their minds.

He was knocking on doors this summer, but no one was answering.

The Pistons, who won just 27 games last season, believe that McGrady still can help them return to the playoffs next season. No one is expecting the McGrady of his prime one of the most dynamic players in basketball -- but they still believe he is versatile enough and smart enough to help them regain some respectability.

With a veteran crew that includes Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton, the Pistons aren't ready to tear down the house and completely rebuild. The addition of McGrady only amplifies their belief that they can patch together another run at the lower-level playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.

They have had success in the past with reclamation projects, getting productivity from both Antonio McDyess and Ben Wallace in recent seasons after others considered them done.

McGrady is itching to prove he still can play in the league, that a comeback season is not too far away.

Gators123
08-14-2010, 01:24 PM
1.35 mil, Hes going to be a steal.

HouRealCoach
08-14-2010, 01:37 PM
He's not going to do much more than he did at NYK... Not with Prince, Hamilton, Gordon there

lakers4sho
08-14-2010, 01:39 PM
TMac: "My game will do the talking"
His game: "TMac is done"

Hawkeye15
08-14-2010, 01:43 PM
very refreshing words, and I really hope TMac can get back a good percentage of what he was able to do before. But I think at this point, Pistons fans should be happy with 15/5 on good efficiency.

fadedmario
08-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I hope he ends up starting. Arnie Kander is one of the best trainers in all sports. He'll get him ready. Most people that hate on McGrady on here two weeks ago were wanting him on their favorite team. I'm glad we signed him.

Hellcrooner
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
this can only end two ways.

a sustained 60 games season of 12 ppgh

or a susprising 29 ppg during 18 games begfore he injurys again.

NastyNas
08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
We'll see...

dre1990
08-14-2010, 02:23 PM
at best he will avg 18ppg for us imo

Verbal Christ
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
if he would have had that attitude in houston maybe he would still be there. give him a week, the guy cant help but open his yapper with some ridiculous crap.

SA5195
08-14-2010, 02:45 PM

This. T-mac really doesn't have much left.

dhopisthename
08-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I hope he ends up starting. Arnie Kander is one of the best trainers in all sports. He'll get him ready. Most people that hate on McGrady on here two weeks ago were wanting him on their favorite team. I'm glad we signed him.

I didn't want him on either the jazz or the heat

JasonJohnHorn
08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Why does one of the players I dislike the most have to play for my two favorite teams? TO and D-town? That is not fair. I have to root for this guy to do well again?
SMFH

Oh well. Here's to hoping T-Mac puts up MVP numbers and brings Detroit to the championship, and here's to hoping that when we miss the playoffs that we do really well in the draft lottery.

KNIXX46
08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
i still think he can get in the mid to high teens regularly as long as he don't play over 25 mins a game every time. prolly in the 20s on a good night...good luck T!

tmacsc2
08-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I love him to death, one of my faves but he needs to stop running his mouth....he needs to say what people wanna hear then if he kills it he can say stuff like this

still1ballin
08-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I think he can still play and surprise a lot of people. I hope so

AlwaysRight
08-14-2010, 04:17 PM
His game has done his talking and thats why We didnt even think about resigning him. GL

Rndy
08-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe if all T-macs athleticism is back(doubtful). Or else he will continue to suck. Guy cannot shoot to save his life.

Highlight
08-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Agreed. I hope he surprises people. I would be good for basketball and Detroit.

jim51990
08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
t-mac i guess your gunna be mute then because you have no game anymore. if you did a contender would have taken a shot at you for the min

BkOriginalOne
08-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I think Tmac is going to have a good year.
They are deep enough that he doesn't have to play more than 30 mins a game, which will keep him fresh.
Also, Tmac has always been a good play maker and defender so he's not going to be useless. And Honestly, we all know that Tmac is going to get at least one 30 point game this season - That alone will prove his worth.

And then of course, The Pistons will trade his contact with some other salary they will dump and rebuild. Dumars is so transparent.

beasted86
08-14-2010, 04:59 PM

+1

:pity:

nanablvd
08-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Yes all nba fans are waiting for tmac to do his talking on the court.

marlinsfan24
08-14-2010, 05:04 PM

This.

magichatnumber9
08-14-2010, 05:12 PM
His health will determine everything

ATX
08-14-2010, 05:47 PM
haha, okay TMac...We'll see.

JordansBulls
08-14-2010, 05:49 PM
This guy will show the world next year that he is still a top 10 player in this game.

OA SLAY
08-14-2010, 06:07 PM
this can only end two ways.

a sustained 60 games season of 12 ppgh

or a susprising 29 ppg during 18 games begfore he injurys again.

Good analysis

Chacarron
08-14-2010, 06:11 PM
This guy will show the world next year that he is still a top 10 player in this game.

I hope you are not wrong.

JordansBulls
08-14-2010, 07:12 PM
I hope you are not wrong.

I only want to see him do well because everyone think he is garbage now.

LakerMantra
08-14-2010, 07:18 PM
T-mac is saying the right stuff, we'll see if he walks the walk like he says.

DeyAce
08-14-2010, 07:18 PM
He'll have a hamstring injury within the first week of the season

Spurred1
08-14-2010, 07:21 PM
I think he would be an excellent player off the bench, due to health issues. But he perceives himself as a starter and really doesn't want to take a bench role. That may be why a lot of teams passed up on him. If he made it clear he would willingly accept a bench role, he probably would have had more teams interested in him.

mark1125
08-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I only like the signing for the following reasons:

1) Cheap

2) Allows the Pistons to move Prince or Rip for a younger big or picks.

I am not expecting too much from him on the court. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see it. If he can play 70 games and average more than 12 points, it's a score.

John Walls Era
08-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Smart move. He didn't hype himself, so even when his game says hes washed up, we wouldn't have been filled with anticipation to be disappointed badly.

Trouble87
08-14-2010, 07:28 PM
His game will do the talking... until his knee forces him to retire

mark1125
08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
He'll have a hamstring injury within the first week of the season

If so, at least he came dirt cheap on a one yr deal. No risk at all for the Pistons. It isn't as if they need him to advance in playoffs. He is depth so they can move RIP or Prince.

Mplsman
08-14-2010, 07:51 PM
It better bigmac. You can't get any worse.

Gators123
08-14-2010, 08:22 PM

:pray:

IversonIsKrazy
08-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I predict 10ppg, 5apg, 4 rpg. - 35 games

smith&wesson
08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
he'' average 30 mins per and at 15 ppg 1 steal 2 rebounds 2 assists.
BUT he'll play 50 games, thats the catch.

SiR Lakers III
08-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Who are you to say his game is done? Have you been working out with him this offseason? Didn't think so nerd. Keep your mouth shut

sox1234321
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Who are you to say his game is done? Have you been working out with him this offseason? Didn't think so nerd. Keep your mouth shut

:speechless: Wow you got him, I dont think he is ever gonna recover from that burn.

mzee24
08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
:speechless: Wow you got him, I dont think he is ever gonna recover from that burn.

prob wont your sorry *** should join him in the mental hospital

netsgiantsyanks
08-14-2010, 10:50 PM

:pity: this doesnt even deserve a facepalm

Hangtime
08-14-2010, 11:03 PM
I wish him luck. But at this point, Pistons are just to irrelevant for me to even discuss in the east.

Forbo
08-14-2010, 11:04 PM
This will be a bad year for Pistons and Tmac
Tmac needs limited minutes if playing and if he doesnt he gets injured.
You dont want to trade Rip or you will be worse.
This team will do worse this year.

mark1125
08-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I wish him luck. But at this point, Pistons are just to irrelevant for me to even discuss in the east.

We can't all be front-runners.

sox1234321
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
prob wont your sorry *** should join him in the mental hospital

Naa, i went there once, it wasnt that great so i think ill pass.

mark1125
08-14-2010, 11:13 PM

They are mediocre WITH RIP, so if they can deal his contract for a big, that would be to their benefit. It's a rebuild, so there is no purpose to hanging on to RIP.

McGrady is simply a cheap, one year stopgap who MAY recapture a BIT of his glory. No risk at all for Detroit.

Gators123
08-14-2010, 11:16 PM

Are you serious?

Trading Rip will only make the Pistons better. It will clear Minutes for Gordon and it will give Stuckey the opportunity to play minutes at the 2 where hes better suited.

The chances of the Pistons being worse next year are slim to none. Pistons were easily one of the most injured teams last season, getting healthy alone makes them much better. Plus, adding Monroe to the front court will give the Pistons somebody to throw the ball down to in the Post. We did not have anybody like that last year.

Forbo
08-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Monroe doesnt impress me, watching Summer league I was heavily dissapointed with him

Gators123
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Monroe doesnt impress me, watching Summer league I was heavily dissapointed with him

Evan Turner was horrible in summer league so do you think hes going to be a bust?

And I take it you didn't see Monroe's 27 point 14 rebound game? ;)

lakers4sho
08-14-2010, 11:26 PM

u mad brah?

Forbo
08-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Tmac did nothing for a Knicks team that did bette before they got him. He has been on 3 teams in the last year. The guy is done he gets hurt to much and his career is done. Sure he is better than Brian Scalabrine but he once averaged 30 pts a game now he will average probably 10 pts a game. Look at the pistons from last year and they got Monroe who is nothing special and tmac. How will this team do better?

Gators123
08-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Tmac did nothing for a Knicks team that did bette before they got him. He has been on 3 teams in the last year. The guy is done he gets hurt to much and his career is done. Sure he is better than Brian Scalabrine but he once averaged 30 pts a game now he will average probably 10 pts a game. Look at the pistons from last year and they got Monroe who is nothing special and tmac. How will this team do better?

Being healthy will make them better.

Missed Games

Rip-36
Prince-33
Gordon-21
Stuckey-10
Bynum-20
Wallace-13

BG, Prince, and Rip were all mostly out at the same time.

lakerfan3118
08-14-2010, 11:45 PM
It's a rebuild, so there is no purpose to hanging on to RIP.

Trading Rip will only make the Pistons better.

Detroit a rebuild? Hamilton has 3 years left on his deal (good luck trading his 12 million dollar salary, by the way), Gordon has 4 years left, Villanueva has 3, Maxiell has 3...the Pistons are going to be stuck with that starting lineup for quite a while, sir. With the amount of money they're commiting to those guys alone, I think it's pretty safe to say this isn't a rebuilding team. On the contrary, they are just a horribly put together team.

If there's one person that's likely to be traded this year, it's going to be Tayshaun Prince, who has a rather large expiring contract [1yr/11mil]. Given the length of the other contracts on the team, they really have no choice but to try to pry away a role player off a desperate or non-contending team and hope to make some noise, at the very least, in the first round, if at that. That's why they were so desperate to get McGrady in the first place.

Forbo
08-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Being healthy will make them better.

Missed Games

Rip-36
Prince-33
Gordon-21
Stuckey-10
Bynum-20
Wallace-13

BG, Prince, and Rip were all mostly out at the same time.

Rip and or Prince will likely be gone
Ben Gordon is way over paid
Stuckey is good but only missed 10 games
Bynum is nothing special
Ben Wallace is very bad needs to retire now

Detriot should just rebuild and hope for a nice draft pick next year

Detriot wont make the playoffs unless a miracle trade happends. It will probably be Rip for Vuj

icej
08-14-2010, 11:51 PM
"My game this season will do all the talking I need to do now,'' McGrady told FanHouse Friday when reached on his cell phone. "There's no need for me to say anything else at this point.'' - Very Safe answer.

TMAC is a 50/50 gamble - He is a good-great player who is a weakest-weak injury prone player. NO one can tell nor guarantee his performance in the season, apparently he himself won't gamble to jinx it either. So let him be silent and hope for the best.

Gators123
08-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Bynum is nothing special

Detriot wont make the playoffs unless a miracle trade happends. It will probably be Rip for Vuj

Your not even worth responding to anymore.

lakerfan3118
08-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Bynum is nothing special

A)Only Prince will be gone, no one in their right mind would take Hamilton's salary. And even if, for the sake of the argument, someone hypothetically would, Hamilton isn't worth giving a large expiring contract, and Detroit still wouldn't be a rebuilding team.

B)Ben Gordon missed plenty of time last year, but I would agree his first year in Detroit, as the Pistons' season last year, was an utter failure.

C)Bynum is potentially a good player, but any chance for him to prosper is eliminated because of Detroit's financial commitment to Gordon. Stucky is good however, yes.

D)Ben Wallace is old, but Detroit is desperate. See: Tracy McGrady

Forbo
08-15-2010, 12:00 AM
I dont know why Detriot fans are mad?
Tmac is there for excitment and to bring in crowds
A nice draft pick maybe even 1-5 would be great for them.
Stuckey, Monroe, that Austrialian guy, and a draft pick next year will be scary

mark1125
08-15-2010, 12:10 AM

Who's mad?

Jemikz9Clutch
08-15-2010, 12:26 AM
ok then tmac. we'll see. i'll believe it when i see it.... consistently

JordansBulls
08-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Detroit isn't mad.

fins08
08-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I really hope he bounces back

jim51990
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
honestly he has nothing left. if he did he wouldnt be on detroit

TMAC94
08-15-2010, 11:23 AM
his a superstar that has had injury probelms most of his career, even tho he wasnt what he once was for 1.3 mil his a steal

Khalifa21
08-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Fighting talk but he doesn't have much left in the tank.

Raoul Duke
08-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm kinda mad.

EDIT: We have 96 minutes available for wings. Rip and Tay are going to eat up 30 apiece and it can't be helped because they're our trade bait and we have to showcase them. So, you've now got 36 minutes to split between Ben Gordon, T-Mac, Austin Daye, Jonas Jerebko, Dujuan Summers and Terrico White. Go ahead and take Summers and White out of the equation and you've still got 36 minutes and 4 players to divide it up between.

Who's going to be the odd man out? It obviously can't be Gordon because we're paying over 10 million for his services next season. If you take out 20 minutes for BG then you now have 16 minutes left to accomodate Daye, JJ and T-Mac. And I haven't even mentioned the fact that Stuckey needs some time at the two also.

Lakersho
08-15-2010, 12:33 PM
... Me too bro, Hate to see a good player downed. health and sustaining it is the key.

...Let's not get ridiculous tho, just playing 70 games and not sucking is a blessing. Top 10 never...hopefully 15 to18 and 5 or 6 would be cool.

JordansBulls
08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
...Let's not get ridiculous tho, just playing 70 games and not sucking is a blessing. Top 10 never...hopefully 15 to18 and 5 or 6 would be cool.

He was 21/6/5 in 2008 and he was top 10 then. Amare came back from the same injury and started dominating after a year.

zambo4president
08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Gonna have to listen close for those whispers

JordansBulls
08-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Gonna have to listen close for those whispers

:confused:

JordansBulls
08-16-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/pistons/chat_mailbox/mailbag_100816_1.html

Cody (Oakland, Mich.): What position do you think best suits Tracy McGrady and the team? How many minutes might he be looking at and do you think he still has the goods?

Langlois: If McGrady is moving well, it shouldnt much matter whether he plays small forward or shooting guard. Given the roster as its currently configured, hell probably be playing more small forward. Hell get as many minutes as his play dictates. I had an interesting conversation with Arnie Kander about McGrady last week and Kander says he saw games from last season where McGrady looked great and others where he wasnt moving so well. The key is that hes showing in flashes that he still can move well, so Kander thinks there are small underlying reasons why he cant sustain it and believes they likely can be overcome.

Syed (Sterling Heights, Mich.): If the Pistons do trade Tayshaun Prince, will T-Mac start at small forward?

Langlois: Thats a question only John Kuester can answer and Im certain hes nowhere near ready to make that decision until he sees how McGrady is moving and how he holds up over training camp and into the preseason, Syed. If hes 80 percent of the Tracy McGrady who lit up the NBA earlier in the past decade, hell find his niche.

Gators123
08-16-2010, 01:20 PM
The key is that he’s showing in flashes that he still can move well, so Kander thinks there are small underlying reasons why he can’t sustain it and believes they likely can be overcome.

Hope so.

Nets fan 93
08-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Just like in NY after all that training? I'll believe it when I see it.

The Miami Cheat
08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Just like in NY after all that training? I'll believe it when I see it.

agreed

Gators123
08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
McGrady in his press conference.

http://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/21335408844

#Pistons McGrady: "Joe has been trying to get me for years. It's just great timing."

#Pistons McGrady: "I’ve worked my butt of the last two years and I’ll continue to do that.”

http://twitter.com/Stareagle

Looks like T-Mac will be wearing #1. #Pistons

McGrady said all the right things. Thinks he can still score and help the team. Stressed he is only 31 and the knee is much better.

T-Mac: "If I was a dog, I'd be foaming at the mouth. I just want to play basketball"

The Raven
08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
He'll be injured game 2

Gators123
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
He'll be injured game 2

No.

I think he will end up playing 60+ games.

BigEasy1323
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
McGradys time on the disbled list will do the talking. He most likely can still contribute in spurts, but I have a hard time seeing him doing it consistently over a full season

JordansBulls
08-16-2010, 05:08 PM
McGrady in his press conference.

http://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/21335408844

http://twitter.com/Stareagle

So he got Billups #?

Klivlend
08-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Man, I really want to see the old T-Mac again. Not a Detroit fan, but I really hope this works out for the Pistons, and T-Mac.

Jack Daniels
08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
I wish the Bulls would release info as to what they saw during his tryout now that he's signed. Cuz they apparently saw something that deterred them from taking a chance on him and i would like to know what that was.

JordansBulls
08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Link (http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2010/08/tracy_mcgrady_im_just_ready_to.html?%20utm_source= feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+detroit-pistons+%28Detroit+Pistons+Impact+-+MLive.com%29%20&utm_content=Google+Reader)

Come off the bench if that's what it is, that's what it is, McGrady said. I'm just ready to play baskeball, y'all. Seriously. That's what I wake up thinking about. That's what I love to do.

For these last two years I've been kind of alienating my family a little bit because I've been fighting so hard to get back, he said. I'm just excited and I'm eager to get back. I look forward to it.

He's got a lot left, Bynum said. Last year, I saw him working extremely hard, and I know it was kind of frustrating at times because he was still going through a little pain. But now I think it's been a longer time period where he's healed."

He works magic, so I'm sure he's going to work some magic with him as well, Bynum said. But he's still got a lotta, lotta game left. I'm sure he's going to help us out a lot.

It's like night and day, really, McGrady said. I was still recovering from it. Back-to-backs were pretty tough for me. I was a lot heavier, my body wasn't in shape. There's no question that I am a lot better now than I was back then. A lot better.

http://media.mlive.com/pistons_impact/photo/081610-tracy-mcgradyjpg-0e7689d19ab34dd7_large.jpg