PDA

View Full Version : Malone and Pippen: LeBron move was OK

stawka
08-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Don't blame LeBron James for leaving Cleveland. Don't fit him for a ring yet, either.

That was the message at the Hall of Fame on Friday, where James' move to Miami was a topic among this year's induction class.

With James joining Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, the Heat have become a title favorite. But Karl Malone is sticking with the reigning champions, and Scottie Pippen isn't even sure Miami will reach the NBA finals.

"I would say this: With the guys they got, they're going to be a hell of a team," Malone said of the Heat. "I pick the Lakers."

Malone also joked that former coach and current ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy "must have had some red wine that night, a lot of it," when he predicted recently that the Heat could break Chicago's record of 72 wins set in 1995-96.

Pippen, who played on that team, said the Heat need to start with smaller expectations.

"I'd like to see them win a championship first," he said.

James was criticized for deciding to announce his free agency decision during an ESPN special, rather than inform the Cavaliers and his other suitors himself. Pippen agreed that wasn't the best choice, but said there was nothing wrong with him leaving Ohio.

"I don't know what all the grief was about," Pippen said. "No fans, no organization, no one can decide what a free agent can do or should do or where he's going to go, and there's no reason for anyone to hold a grudge against LeBron for making that decision."

Oscar Robertson also defended James, saying the free agents were just taking advantage of the "Oscar Robertson Rule." Robertson, as president of the NBA Players Association, filed a class-action lawsuit against the league and its teams that the league settled in 1976, removing a team's option to keep a player for life and opening the door for unrestricted free agency.

Malone spent nearly his entire career in Utah before joining a powerful Lakers team that had Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant for a last-ditch run at a title in 2003-04. So he wasn't going to criticize James for bolting Cleveland for a better shot on a better team - though he didn't care for the way it was done, either.

"That's his decision. My decision, when I left Utah, I went to L.A. to win a championship and had an opportunity," Malone said. "Him leaving, that's him. I don't know what to tell you. The way it went down, I'm not into that."

Malone ended up getting hurt and the Lakers fell short, and he warns that injuries could get in the Heat's way. Pippen, meanwhile, thinks Miami's size could be a problem.

"There are a couple of teams in the East that they're going to have to contend with, that they're going to have matchup problems with," Pippen said. "You think of Boston, Orlando. I don't see anybody that they can get to run up and down the court with (Dwight) Howard right now and that's a game changer."

Malone said the Lakers also got better over the summer with the additions of Matt Barnes and Steve Blake. While admitting he's biased, he believes they will win a third in a row.

"As long as you've got Kobe on that team," Malone said, "and Derek Fisher on that team and Pau Gasol and coach (Phil) Jackson and his staff, I'm picking the Lakers."

I pretty much agree with both of them, in that he can leave if he wants - but the way he did it with "The Decision" was disgusting.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/13/heat.hof.ap/index.html

mikealike305
08-14-2010, 09:10 AM
that first bolded quote just about sums it up

Minimal
08-14-2010, 09:20 AM
LeBron James forum already?

BrotherRedz
08-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Same crap , LeBron leaves Cavs now and LeBron leaves Cavs after prime

At least he'll get more Rings with him leaving right now ;)

Haters gonna hate

kntresistheheat
08-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Bottom line is that everyone is mad cause he didn't go to their team and because the way he did the decision.

skinsfan4life80
08-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Its so funny to see Lebron riders and there post. The espn title of the article is Malone and Pippen skeptical of Heats title hopes. Then you click on the article and there is a clip of Barkley calling out lebron, Larry Bird saying i would never do somthing like that and i dont care what lebron does, then there is a clip of Pippen calling him classless, followed by Malone bascially saying he doesnt really care and still things the Lakers are better. Then you come in here and some post a thread that says Pippen and Malone ok with Lebron's move. Lmao this is to funny..its crazy people only hear, read, remember and believe what they want to. Anyone who say those cliips and has heard what just about evey NBA legend has said can see that none of them respect what LEbron did. But hey if you want to print the title Malone and Pippen ok with Lebron ..more power to you

stawka
08-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Actually it was on NBA.com under the Pippen section. Had his thoughts on LeBron so I clicked on it. You = fail

and anyway. So there's allowed to be 100 hate threads about LeBron which people take one or two sentences out of, but there isn't allowed to be one positive on??? LOL get real princess

SF-GS-SJ408
08-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Bottom line is that everyone is mad cause he didn't go to their team and because the way he did the decision.

This. Really this is it.

thescore53
08-14-2010, 09:58 AM
only cavs and raptors fans have a right to be mad or upset. anyone else is either jealous,or scared shitless

SF-GS-SJ408
08-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Its so funny to see Lebron riders and there post. The espn title of the article is Malone and Pippen skeptical of Heats title hopes. Then you click on the article and there is a clip of Barkley calling out lebron, Larry Bird saying i would never do somthing like that and i dont care what lebron does, then there is a clip of Pippen calling him classless, followed by Malone bascially saying he doesnt really care and still things the Lakers are better. Then you come in here and some post a thread that says Pippen and Malone ok with Lebron's move. Lmao this is to funny..its crazy people only hear, read, remember and believe what they want to. Anyone who say those cliips and has heard what just about evey NBA legend has said can see that none of them respect what LEbron did. But hey if you want to print the title Malone and Pippen ok with Lebron ..more power to you

LOL ... Go read ESPN some more it is the TMZ of sports. They make a serious attempt to bring drama to their articles I saw exactly what you saw and it was BS they took peoples words out of context. They also want "smart" people like you to hate Lebron because they know haters only make him and them more famous. I'm not just saying that like a cliche, straight up you are making ESPN and Lebron more famous by ranting like a fool right now.

mikealike305
08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
only cavs and raptors fans have a right to be mad or upset. anyone else is either jealous,or scared shitless

this. they wont admit it tho

skinsfan4life80
08-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Lol nothing like a rider..make sure guys dont forget the balls.

SF-GS-SJ408
08-14-2010, 10:10 AM

This guy really would compare talking sports to gay sexual encounters

mikealike305
08-14-2010, 10:14 AM

lol nothing like a guy that doesnt know what he's talking about... so funny

BrotherRedz
08-14-2010, 11:28 AM
this. they wont admit it tho

You should include Knicks :p:p:p:p:p Seriously ;););)

And here comes Melo... another SURE disappointment, HE LOVES NEW YORK BROOKLYN (NETS) :facepalm:

Rndy
08-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Most likely. However I'd like to believe if he went to the Bulls. I would have been very excited, it wouldn't have stopped me from making fun of the guy. He is an insane athlete. But the guy is a clown. The decision on national tv? And not to mention the stupidest looking expression I have ever seen in my life when he was dancing with Wade and Bosh.

SF-GS-SJ408
08-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Most likely. However I'd like to believe if he went to the Bulls. I would have been very excited, it wouldn't have stopped me from making fun of the guy. He is an insane athlete. But the guy is a clown. The decision on national tv? And not to mention the stupidest looking expression I have ever seen in my life when he was dancing with Wade and Bosh.

Yea, but in Chicago you guys have to take into account your mood after hearing "the decision". That is bitter. You guys came up short and I was in Chicago for most of July to witness it. My uncle (life long die hard bulls fan) told me he prayed you guys wouldn't end up with the ultimate consolation prize in Boozer and we talked about it for the whole week leading up to it. So in a way by you watching them dance on stage in Miami was in essence like them dancing on your and the other teams involved pride. Pretty funny if you ask me.

Yanks All Day
08-14-2010, 11:44 AM

After 7000 LeBron threads over the course of the summer, this one post summed everything up in 22 words. Couldn't be any more spot on.

Ragun
08-14-2010, 11:49 AM
i really dont mind lebron joining wade and bosh. that's his choice...but he did hurt his legacy and "the decision" was a horrible idea...if he stayed with the cavs, its different.

mark1125
08-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I just wish all of the haters and riders would quit posting LeBron crap every 20 minutes. Seriously......it's grown quite stale.

SF-GS-SJ408
08-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I just wish all of the haters and riders would quit posting LeBron crap every 20 minutes. Seriously......it's grown quite stale.

Your opinion matters so much thanks for posting this 20 times in the last 2 days.... You popping up in Lebron threads to bi-- and moan has grown quite stale to be honest. If you don't care don't click.

mark1125
08-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Your opinion matters so much thanks for posting this 20 times in the last 2 days.... You popping up in Lebron threads to bi-- and moan has grown quite stale to be honest. If you don't care don't click.

Well you guys insist on spamming with Lebron garbage despite the mods deleting or moving most of them is silly. You do realize there is more to the NBA then Miami? Don't hate the Heat, but the riders and haters getting into arguments over the SAME THING 12 times a day needs to cool off.

SF-GS-SJ408
08-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Well you guys insist on spamming with Lebron garbage despite the mods deleting or moving most of them is silly. You do realize there is more to the NBA then Miami? Don't hate the Heat, but the riders and haters getting into arguments over the SAME THING 12 times a day needs to cool off.

I understand man I don't mean to be an a--, it's just the fact that everyone is interested in that topic considering it is the most dead part of the year for sports besides baseball. It is a huge sway in NBA powers and people are still shocked questioning every aspect of it I just see it as expected. Things will both cool down and heat up throughout the season about this team, but it won't be the only thing people are talking about at least once football starts. Most of these posts are by new posters that don't bother to use the search button to find a relative thread (there are many) and if there is already a completely relative thread the mods will either merge it or close it. I do however agree almost none of it belongs in the NBA boards, but they always get merged or closed if posted in the NBA forum. Once again sorry for being a sarcastic dick, but I have just seen you do that several times lately.

shep33
08-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Alot of people have been posting saying the only reason everybody is mad is that he didn't go to their team. For me that's not the case...

-First thing that upset me was the "decision" nobody can argue against how stupid that was

-Most of all what made me upset was the fact that he went to a team with 2 primary guys on it. I'm a fan of basketball, a fan of good basketball, and I don't want to see the Heat steamroll most teams in the eastern conference. I want to see epic Eastern Conference battles like in the 90s (knicks vs. pacers, knicks vs. bulls, bulls pacers, pistons vs. bulls etc.). For me talent wise, nobody in the east can match them.

So basically what I'm saying is that I'd rather see Lebron on the Cavs, Knicks, or Bulls go against Wade and Bosh. Now lets face it, that would be funner to watch via a competitive standpoint then only having 2-3 teams that can come close to them out east. If LBJ would've went to a the Knicks or Cavs, it would've provided more depth in the eastern conference, something we all know is lacking there.

Finally, I don't like why he left Cleveland. They've had the best record in the league 2 years in a row now. When the Cavs went into the playoffs with the 2 time MVP nearly everybody had them as favorites to win it all... every analyst, writer, even Vegas had them at the favorites I believe. Its like being so close to the end of your goal that when you come up just short, you take a different path. He would've went down as a legendary type player had he brought rings to Cleveland, and I think he would've won at least 1 had he stayed.

That being said, Lebron can do whatever he wants... and if he wants to win right now he made the right decision. The Heat have become the favorites in Vegas (although the Lakers and Celtics are still the teams to beat). Plus he was a free-agent, he still had every right to leave. But from a competitive aspect I didn't like it... and trust me, this is going to create a trend with the best players in the league.

Hangtime
08-14-2010, 12:46 PM
That trend started with Boston. And the model worked. The days of building a francise around Kevin Garnett and supplement players are almost done. I think this decade will see that trend become more and more evident in the upcoming years.

lakers4sho
08-14-2010, 01:04 PM
The difference between Malone and LeBron is that Malone spent all but 1 year of his career with Utah.

Avenged
08-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I agree with them both.

It's fine that he left, but not in the way he did it. (which has been mentioned a lot).

It is kind of funny though that all these hall of fame players have come out and voiced their opinion against Lebron. :laugh2:

HouRealCoach
08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
WHats wrong with the way he did it... Its still was going to be done any other way...

Hawkeye15
08-14-2010, 01:44 PM
feels like I have already been in this thread..........

kntresistheheat
08-14-2010, 01:47 PM
The difference between Malone and LeBron is that Malone spent all but 1 year of his career with Utah.

And that got Malone how many rings?:confused:

lakers4sho
08-14-2010, 01:53 PM
And that got Malone how many rings?:confused:

...your point? It's not like LeBron has any, either.

ecorrea
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM

i wasnt mad he didnt come to the bulls. you had to be realistic during the process that it wasnt a guarantee he went anywhere (unless they were planning this for a while, which i think they were, besides the point).

it was just the way he did it to the city of cleveland and to every team other than the heat. i mean he slapped those fans in the the face with 'the decision.' same with the other teams waiting on him, having to go to cleveland, the whole process in general was childish when it seemed he knew all along he was going to miami.

iggypop123
08-14-2010, 02:22 PM
lol nothing like a guy that doesnt know what he's talking about... so funny

Registered June 2010.

ryang
08-14-2010, 03:46 PM

And how many rings does Malone have????:facepalm: Probably why James left...

ryang
08-14-2010, 03:50 PM
...your point? It's not like LeBron has any, either.

And I bet you would not make any bet that said Lebron won't get any rings... I however will make any bet wether it be financial, a sig bet or just a friendly bet but he will get ring"S that's why you and every other fan who isn't a HEAT fan are posting in these threads JEALOUSY ... Don't be mad that your team will be destroyed when Kobe retires and that day is rapidly approaching...

dbeastly
08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
It is apparent that retired players don't like the Heat now. The older generation wants to be remembered as the best generation there ever was, and they are pissed that they are being over-taken by the "new" NBA. Kind of reminds me of how the old generation always claims the music now-a-days doesn't compare with what they had.....annoying IMO.

dbeastly
08-14-2010, 09:44 PM
i wasnt mad he didnt come to the bulls. you had to be realistic during the process that it wasnt a guarantee he went anywhere (unless they were planning this for a while, which i think they were, besides the point).

it was just the way he did it to the city of cleveland and to every team other than the heat. i mean he slapped those fans in the the face with 'the decision.' same with the other teams waiting on him, having to go to cleveland, the whole process in general was childish when it seemed he knew all along he was going to miami.

Don't act like you care at all for Cleveland fans. The decision should have only affected Cleveland and Miami fans.
Bolded: No other teams fans besides for Cleveland has the right to hate Lebron simply for his decision. It's obviously a sign that people are hating him for not joining their team.

Mc Lovin
08-14-2010, 10:00 PM

I'm not scared shitless. I can't see them beating the Celtics. They are going to get outrebounded badly against Boston and there's no way Bosh is going to do anything inside against Boston's frontcourt which turns Miami into a one and done jump shooting team. Good luck.

lakerfan3118
08-15-2010, 12:11 AM
That trend started with Boston. And the model worked. The days of building a francise around Kevin Garnett and supplement players are almost done. I think this decade will see that trend become more and more evident in the upcoming years.

This is an incredible, incredible exception rather than the new rule. Not only was the talent level of the free agent class among the deepest in NBA history, the upcoming Collective Bargaining Agreement and the expected lowering of the salary cap should ultimately make it fiscally impossible for this to happen in the near future. You'll have your small share of 2008 Boston Celtics, or 2004 Lakers assembling older, past their prime players to win a ring, but the ability to compile 3 elite or even above average players on a team will soon be financially extinct.