PDA

View Full Version : Tallet, Encarnacion and Wells Clear Waivers

La11
08-14-2010, 01:51 AM
its on MLB TR

Brian Tallet, Edwin Encarnacion and Vernon Wells have all cleared waivers, tweets Bob Elliott of The Toronto Sun. We'll overlook Wells since no team will take on his mammoth contract, but the other two Blue Jays could draw some trade interest.

Tallet has a bit more than $500K remaining on his contract, and has held left-handed batters to a .474 OPS this season. Minnesota just lost Jose Mijares for the next month and could be in the market for a lefty reliever. The Twins have been connected to the Jays in trade rumors about relievers ever since Joe Nathan went on the shelf during spring training. The two clubs weren't able to agree to a deal for the likes of Scott Downs or Jason Frasor, but Tallet would be available at a much lower price.

Encarnacion is a bit of a tougher sell. He has about $1.3MM left on his contract, hasn't hit much (.242/.305/.458) and has an infamously shaky third base glove. That slugging percentage might lead a team or two to make a call, but unless a contender has a sudden injury to a starting third baseman, there might not be much of a market for the 27-year-old.

That said, such an injury just occurred in Atlanta. If the Braves feel they need reinforcements to fill the Chipper Jones void, Toronto could be happy to make a trade. Moving Encarncion would likely mean that Jose Bautista gets most of the time at third base for the Jays, thus creating more outfield playing time for Travis Snider and Fred Lewis.

DocJayzSpikx
08-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Doubt Tallet gets traded, he's been horrible, maybe EE

masTOR_shake1
08-14-2010, 03:17 AM
they both suck

BlueJayFanDan
08-14-2010, 03:48 AM
I would be cool trading Tallet or EE.

ILDD
08-14-2010, 07:29 AM
I'd be OK trading Tallet but EE would make a decent DH next year. Take away many, many games of his glove at 3B but still gives you a chance to rotate other players through the DH spot to give them a day off.

wamco
08-14-2010, 08:13 AM
EE's bat is overrated, especially if he is full time dh

Twitchy
08-14-2010, 09:02 AM
It's funny, cause we keep hearing about how EE has improved so much since he's been recalled since AAA. He's hit 285-318-447 (765 OPS) since he returned to the majors. Before he was sent down, he hit 200-298-467.... for a 765 OPS. I'd rather have the first line with the higher OBP, but it's not like he's been that much more productive since his return. The power went down and the average went up. That tends to happen when you're hitting 200.

He's not somebody who has a future on this team and if the Jays can get something for him they should pull the trigger. Ditto on Tallet, because then they can call up Carlson who gives them another late game option vs Lefties. Janssen becomes the long man, and the BP is even better.

While they're at it I hope they can find a deal for Lewis too. He's a nice stopgap but at the end of the day if the Jays want to compete he can't be the starting LF. You either need a big slugger in left, or a high OBP speed threat that can get 40+ SB a year. Lewis is neither, and it's not even like he plays good D to make up for the low OBP, the low steals, and the limited power.

BlueJayCarter
08-14-2010, 11:11 AM
One team might make an offer for Tallet and EE but I think they may stay. Overbay too. But, these are the only three if anything that will be traded in August for small utility parts or minor minor leaguers.

treeleaf
08-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes these trades will barely produce head turning results if they happen
on a few occasions i found that i woulda just let EE go for a sak of balls
but he can hit a lil so the DH idea is good a posibility

BlueJayCarter
08-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Possibly. But I think JPA and Adam Lind could be a better DH spelling each other than EE. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea as we will not get much for him.

wamco
08-14-2010, 12:10 PM
EE needs to go to chicago and play for guillen as well.

StayOnBoard
08-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Trade them both for anything you can get.

boilerguy2412
08-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Tallet will prolly get moved. EE has hit well lately, some team might grap him for some insurance or for help as a PH

Bjaxn45
08-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Possibly. But I think JPA and Adam Lind could be a better DH spelling each other than EE. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea as we will not get much for him.

I think it's too early to annoint JPA a DH though. I won't pretend to know if JPA is a good play caller or anything but he will be given a shot to compete for the starting spot next year. I also think if Catcher doesn't work out for JPA, he's fairly athletic is he not? Is not in the realm of possibility that he could be groomed into a 3rd baseman if the Jays decide his catching defense isn't up to snuff.

BlueJayCarter
08-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I'd see JPA more as a first baseman than a third baseman but it is not out of the realm of possibility, he is only 24 it would be easy to train him for another position.

wamco
08-14-2010, 03:07 PM
guesses at the salary that EE would get through arby?

H-MYK
08-14-2010, 08:03 PM
How many more years does Wells have on his contract?

D-Train#35
08-14-2010, 08:10 PM
It's funny, cause we keep hearing about how EE has improved so much since he's been recalled since AAA. He's hit 285-318-447 (765 OPS) since he returned to the majors. Before he was sent down, he hit 200-298-467.... for a 765 OPS. I'd rather have the first line with the higher OBP, but it's not like he's been that much more productive since his return. The power went down and the average went up. That tends to happen when you're hitting 200.

He's not somebody who has a future on this team and if the Jays can get something for him they should pull the trigger. Ditto on Tallet, because then they can call up Carlson who gives them another late game option vs Lefties. Janssen becomes the long man, and the BP is even better.

While they're at it I hope they can find a deal for Lewis too. He's a nice stopgap but at the end of the day if the Jays want to compete he can't be the starting LF. You either need a big slugger in left, or a high OBP speed threat that can get 40+ SB a year. Lewis is neither, and it's not even like he plays good D to make up for the low OBP, the low steals, and the limited power.

I agree with mostly everything, but I think we could keep around Lewis. He could be a really good 4th OFer since he has the ability to field every outfield position and hit at the top of the order somewhat effectively.

D-Train#35
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I'd see JPA more as a first baseman than a third baseman but it is not out of the realm of possibility, he is only 24 it would be easy to train him for another position.

He's got a pretty good arm and decent athleticism, I could see him becoming an average third basemen defensively.

broncosfan_101
08-14-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with mostly everything, but I think we could keep around Lewis. He could be a really good 4th OFer since he has the ability to field every outfield position and hit at the top of the order somewhat effectively.

Fred Lewis is average at best in LF, nevermind in centre or right. Because of this, I don't see much value in him being a 4th OF because those guys should have versatility. So that basically leaves him as a potential everyday LF, but his bat, while decent, definitely isn't good enough to make up for average D at that position.

On the other hand, he's not a complete butcher in the outfield, so maybe a few spot starts as a 4th OF wouldn't kill us, and his bat would be decent in that role. Either way though, he's not a huge piece of our future so I don't really care if he gets moved.

Twitchy
08-14-2010, 10:21 PM

You can keep Lewis around but he shouldn't be starting. Look at the other LF in the division - CC, Gardner, Ellsbury when healthy. All 3 are plus defenders in left while Lewis is average to below average. All 3 can steal 40+ bases - Lewis might get 20. All 3 have good to great OBP even if they lack slugging - Lewis is around 330.

As a fourth OF, sure. As a starting LF, I think they can do better.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-14-2010, 10:43 PM
i thought ellsbury was the red sox cf no??

broncosfan_101
08-14-2010, 11:28 PM
i thought ellsbury was the red sox cf no??

He was moved when they picked up Mike Cameron.

jaysfan4ever
08-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Fred Lewis is average at best in LF, nevermind in centre or right. Because of this, I don't see much value in him being a 4th OF because those guys should have versatility. So that basically leaves him as a potential everyday LF, but his bat, while decent, definitely isn't good enough to make up for average D at that position.

On the other hand, he's not a complete butcher in the outfield, so maybe a few spot starts as a 4th OF wouldn't kill us, and his bat would be decent in that role. Either way though, he's not a huge piece of our future so I don't really care if he gets moved.

Yeah, going with the AA theme of "you don't win in the AL East with average players", I'd trade Lewis. You never know what the prospect that we get back will turn into, as we could end up getting a star player. The chances are slim, but there is practically zero chance that Lewis becomes a great player, and those are the kind of players we need to build around. If we need a player like Lewis later on, we can easily find him, but for now, we need to be stockpiling high-upside players.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
He was moved when they picked up Mike Cameron.
oo ya thanks

Yeah, going with the AA theme of "you don't win in the AL East with average players", I'd trade Lewis. You never know what the prospect that we get back will turn into, as we could end up getting a star player. The chances are slim, but there is practically zero chance that Lewis becomes a great player, and those are the kind of players we need to build around. If we need a player like Lewis later on, we can easily find him, but for now, we need to be stockpiling high-upside players.

I agree with you on the most part but a guy like lewis isnt easy to find, a good leadoff hitter with power and speed are really hard to find and to top it of the fact we got him for cheap is why hes such a good story.. I would love to have a younger version of him with more upside which is what we got in gose but we need more of those players..Im aware we have a couple in the minors but the more the marrier

YoungGunz1024
08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Why Vernon i like vernon but his contract

StayOnBoard
08-15-2010, 04:59 PM
You can keep Lewis around but he shouldn't be starting. Look at the other LF in the division - CC, Gardner, Ellsbury when healthy. All 3 are plus defenders in left while Lewis is average to below average. All 3 can steal 40+ bases - Lewis might get 20. All 3 have good to great OBP even if they lack slugging - Lewis is around 330.

As a fourth OF, sure. As a starting LF, I think they can do better.

This ^^

He's fine as our 4th OF but we can do better for the long haul. Wells is in CF until that awful contract runs out and Snider obviously has a spot next year -after all Cito will be retired.

We should go out and get another OFer - I'd love to see Adam Dunn as a Blue Jay although I HIGHLY doubt it happens. Just sayin - he'd be a great fit IMO. Could also play 1st/DH with Adam Lind getting most starts at 1st. Overbay won't be back Im sure

broncosfan_101
08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
This ^^

He's fine as our 4th OF but we can do better for the long haul. Wells is in CF until that awful contract runs out and Snider obviously has a spot next year -after all Cito will be retired.

We should go out and get another OFer - I'd love to see Adam Dunn as a Blue Jay although I HIGHLY doubt it happens. Just sayin - he'd be a great fit IMO. Could also play 1st/DH with Adam Lind getting most starts at 1st. Overbay won't be back Im sure

Dunn is all bat/no glove, especially in the outfield. He can play a slightly below average 1B (as we're seeing this year), where his bat still makes him a good player, but that leaves Lind as the long term DH. I'd rather grab a 3B or RF so we can keep Snider as the long term LF, and then grab a low-cost, short term DH in FA (Ordonez, Cuddyer, Konerko, etc).

nithanyo
08-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Believe it or not guys but Encarnasion has value and he is fairly cheap. IT would be a bad idea to just give him away. We should package him and try and land a stud