PDA

View Full Version : Rockets trade could be a set-up for something bigger

MagicBucsSox
08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
The Rockets traded Trevor Ariza on Wednesday and Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle speculates that the move might be setting up a much bigger trade.

"The Rockets' brass will say how much they like him, blah, blah, blah, but initially Lee's biggest contribution to the team will be his salary, not his play," Solomon writes.

"Rockets general manager Daryl Morey traded a pawn for a pawn, but one pawn cost some $5 million more than the other, earning the Rockets a valuable $6.3 million trade exception.

"The flexibility that offers and the mega savings to Leslie Alexander's bank account (about $10 million in salary and luxury tax) made this a pretty sweet deal."

gm

nacdaddy
08-13-2010, 08:03 PM
this just goes to show why Daryl Morey>Jesus

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah I definatley believe that the Rockets will be aiming for another bigtime player to try to pair up with Yao. Granger would be nice but after yesterdays trade I think its now unlikely Indiana will trade him since they aquired a point guard. If Denver decides to move Carmelo the Rockets will look into that, but definatley if they don't aquire anyone at the deadline look for them to go after someone in the offseason.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-13-2010, 08:06 PM
wow and there saying BC the raps GM might have something big lined up to so what if the rockets and raptors are going to have a big deal set up

mynameismo
08-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Daryl Morey will ever make a mistake..

MagicBucsSox
08-13-2010, 08:33 PM
wow and there saying BC the raps GM might have something big lined up to so what if the rockets and raptors are going to have a big deal set up

theres no big players on either team so how can a "big" trade happen between the 2?

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 08:39 PM
theres no big players on either team so how can a "big" trade happen between the 2?

The Rockets have alot of assets, including both Knick picks they aquired in the Tmac trade.

dolfan720
08-13-2010, 08:52 PM
In morey we trust

D-Amazins
08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
In morey we trust

x2

Baller1
08-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Makes sense. Granger or Melo would make that team scary.

hugepatsfan
08-13-2010, 09:08 PM
You can't use a trade exception to cover part of someone's salary in a trade. It has to get the job done in it's entirety. So the Rockets can only get a MLE type player with it.

MOREY=MONEY
08-13-2010, 09:10 PM
I personally would love for the Rockets to pull off a trade for Paul, Carmelo, or Granger. What I think will happen is they will trade for Iggy. Iggy is a Morey type of player(a young 2 way player). But knowing Morey it will either be a trade for someone no one has mentioned or a player Morey has missed out on in the draft (Rubio) that he really likes. You never know with Morey "The Jedi Ninja" because when he strikes you never heard about it or saw it coming.

Chronz
08-13-2010, 09:11 PM
I doubt this one will do anything, its barely bigger than the MLE. Who can they really get?

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 09:16 PM
You can't use a trade exception to cover part of someone's salary in a trade. It has to get the job done in it's entirety. So the Rockets can only get a MLE type player with it.

Even so they have set themselves up for a major trade if they come upon one. It will be intresting to see, I tend to believe that Brooks might be a player they can move in the right deal, he is due for a big raise, the Rockets just extended Lowry and aquired Lee yesterday.

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 09:21 PM
I personally would love for the Rockets to pull off a trade for Paul, Carmelo, or Granger. What I think will happen is they will trade for Iggy. Iggy is a Morey type of player(a young 2 way player). But knowing Morey it will either be a trade for someone no one has mentioned or a player Morey has missed out on in the draft (Rubio) that he really likes. You never know with Morey "The Jedi Ninja" because when he strikes you never heard about it or saw it coming.

Yeah I agree, the Rockets can make as good as offer as anyone for any of these guys and also offer the player an opportunity to play for a legitimate contender.

arkanian215
08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I doubt this one will do anything, its barely bigger than the MLE. Who can they really get?

What would the Bobcats give up to get rid of Diop's contract?
I don't know when the exception expires but Al Harrington if Melo leaves?
One of Minny's youngins if Darko/Pekovic blow.
Gortat, Bass? Pick to take Duhon?
Youngin from the Suns to take one of Phoenix's new signings if they fail.
Wes Matthews + assets if he drops off

nyanks79
08-13-2010, 09:23 PM
The Rockets have alot of assets, including both Knick picks they aquired in the Tmac trade.

They only got 1 Knick pick.

MagicBucsSox
08-13-2010, 09:31 PM

thats not a BIG trade

knickerbockerny
08-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Morey is a hell of a gm!

MOREY=MONEY
08-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah I agree, the Rockets can make as good as offer as anyone for any of these guys and also offer the player an opportunity to play for a legitimate contender.

True and as much as I love this team the way it is constructed I think they need Player X to be consider a legitimate contender. I believe thay can go far but not all the way without Player X.

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 09:35 PM

thats not a BIG trade

So if the Rockets trade for Carmelo, Paul or Granger is not a big trade? Rockets have two picks from the Tmac trade

fredo832
08-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Wrong!!!! We got 2 picks from yall. Next years 1st round and the year after thats 1st round. Some of yall also forgot that we have really good expiring contracts that can go up to 15 to 16 million dollars in expiring contracts and thats not counting Yao. I see us going for 76's Iggy and Brand so we get a good shooter and another backup for Yao. Thoughts?

RocketPower2010
08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Please, stop saying that we will trade for Melo or Granger. Put urself in the shoes of the GM of Nuggets/Pacers, would you trade ur star player for the crap that I've been seeing in Rockets forums?

I'm excited about this trade in itself. Lee was someone that the Rockets wanted to draft, wanted to trade for, and now finally have. He does everything right and somethings exceptionally (man on man defense). Sure he doesn't rack up on steals or make headlines as fan-favorites, but this is the 2nd most exciting offseason deal that I've seen the Rockets make (resigning Scola being the first).

Back to point number one, making idiotic trade proposals make visiting PSD posters ridicule and demean Rockets posters. Please stop suggesting ridiculous trades that even someone who has no management skills such as myself have to shake my head on. I love DM, and I think that he has pulled off small but very important moves. Don't not be excited just because we didn't pull off another T-Mac deal.

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Please, stop saying that we will trade for Melo or Granger. Put urself in the shoes of the GM of Nuggets/Pacers, would you trade ur star player for the crap that I've been seeing in Rockets forums?

I'm excited about this trade in itself. Lee was someone that the Rockets wanted to draft, wanted to trade for, and now finally have. He does everything right and somethings exceptionally (man on man defense). Sure he doesn't rack up on steals or make headlines as fan-favorites, but this is the 2nd most exciting offseason deal that I've seen the Rockets make (resigning Scola being the first).

Back to point number one, making idiotic trade proposals make visiting PSD posters ridicule and demean Rockets posters. Please stop suggesting ridiculous trades that even someone who has no management skills such as myself have to shake my head on. I love DM, and I think that he has pulled off small but very important moves. Don't not be excited just because we didn't pull off another T-Mac deal.

What trade proposal has anyone made here, all thats been said is that the Rockets have assets, if you dont see that you're blind as a bat

RocketPower2010
08-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I didn't say this particular thread. Check the Rockets forums, ull see plenty of them. I've been reading them all summer...

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I didn't say this particular thread. Check the Rockets forums, ull see plenty of them. I've been reading them all summer...

I've read the same thing and I haven't seen any crazy unlikely possibilities, tell me, if Melo or Paul for example were to become available, you dont think the Rockets would have the assets and also offer the player an opportunity to be on a legitimate contender?

Wizard of O's
08-13-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Daryl Morey will ever make a mistake..

the only ones have been easy to fix.

trading david andersen back for a 2nd rd pick that they gave up to get him.
and throwing joey dorsey into the kevin martin trade.

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I know the Rockets would have to give up value to get anyone like these players that are being mentioned but if you want to talk about being realistic, well you haven't read what fans say that the Knicks should give up for Carmelo, im just saying..

knickfan33
don't the rockets have to wait 90 days before trading new players?

Wizard of O's

Marcin Gortat (if Yao went down again).

I think it's pretty nice insurance to have for an injury.

MagicBucsSox
08-13-2010, 10:07 PM
So if the Rockets trade for Carmelo, Paul or Granger is not a big trade? Rockets have two picks from the Tmac trade

melo?granger? dude you got big dreams

SouthSideRookie
08-13-2010, 10:12 PM
melo?granger? dude you got big dreams

Go back and read carefully my first post, don't make a thread if you're illiterate!

dhopisthename
08-13-2010, 10:13 PM

if he becomes available for a trade exception the jazz would be calling as well :)

R cool J
08-13-2010, 10:21 PM
No matter who they got, the rockets season will only go as far as Yao's feet and toes will take them, HE is their money player, anyone else added would not do anything unless Yao can actually play...period

HouRealCoach
08-13-2010, 10:22 PM
**** Granger and Melo... Get Iggy

Chronz
08-13-2010, 10:26 PM
What would the Bobcats give up to get rid of Diop's contract?
I don't know when the exception expires but Al Harrington if Melo leaves?
One of Minny's youngins if Darko/Pekovic blow.
Gortat, Bass? Pick to take Duhon?
Youngin from the Suns to take one of Phoenix's new signings if they fail.
Wes Matthews + assets if he drops off

Good points

IBleedPurple
08-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Here we go, let the rumors, lies, hopes and dreams fly....

Chacarron
08-14-2010, 12:08 AM
The Rockets traded Trevor Ariza on Wednesday and Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle speculates that the move might be setting up a much bigger trade.

"The Rockets' brass will say how much they like him, blah, blah, blah, but initially Lee's biggest contribution to the team will be his salary, not his play," Solomon writes.

"Rockets general manager Daryl Morey traded a pawn for a pawn, but one pawn cost some $5 million more than the other, earning the Rockets a valuable $6.3 million trade exception.

"The flexibility that offers and the mega savings to Leslie Alexander's bank account (about $10 million in salary and luxury tax) made this a pretty sweet deal."

gm

Key word right there.

hugepatsfan
08-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Even so they have set themselves up for a major trade if they come upon one. It will be intresting to see, I tend to believe that Brooks might be a player they can move in the right deal, he is due for a big raise, the Rockets just extended Lowry and aquired Lee yesterday.

Oh most definately. I posted a CP3 trade idea in the Rockets forum months ago. All I mean is that this deal has little to do with that, IMO. It shows me they like Battier enough to start him. Lee will just be a cheaper bench player than Ariza.

John Walls Era
08-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Hopefully something major happens. Always been a Rockets fan (2nd fave team). Daryl Morey is doing a terrific job and all the moves that he makes always works.

abe_froman
08-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Wrong!!!! We got 2 picks from yall. Next years 1st round and the year after thats 1st round. Some of yall also forgot that we have really good expiring contracts that can go up to 15 to 16 million dollars in expiring contracts and thats not counting Yao. I see us going for 76's Iggy and Brand so we get a good shooter and another backup for Yao. Thoughts?

i to think its for iggy

CityofChaos
08-14-2010, 04:13 AM
The trade was to make room for Battier and Kmart and thats all

hyb152
08-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Rockets have a glaring hole at small forward.......... CARMELO!!!!!!!!

SouljahPhil...
08-14-2010, 05:34 AM
i to think its for iggy

why the hell would they trade iggy? they got a new coach who will surely love seeing him play there.

hyb152
08-14-2010, 05:38 AM
why the hell would they trade iggy? they got a new coach who will surely love seeing him play there.

Cuz you cant build a team around iggy. The sixers know that and that's why they've been shopping him.

SouljahPhil...
08-14-2010, 05:48 AM
Cuz you cant build a team around iggy. The sixers know that and that's why they've been shopping him.

THen don't build a team around him...Improve and get a star player...They have some assets to trade for one...

Plus what would they want from the rockets? brooks? they got holliday..

A SF? they got turner...