PDA

View Full Version : ESPN can fire Stephen A. and not Skip Bayless

JDMVP
08-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok this dude right here, ive had enough, to say that Scottie Pippen is not a HOF, please. And to say that in "basketball HOF" everybody gets in that easily, come on now if it was that easy then Michael Cooper should be in then Byron Scott should be in then Vinnie Johnson should get in please my goodness.
I really hope this guy gets fired.

Gators123
08-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Skip isn't that bad

GunFactor187
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Ummm...SAS's BEEN gone from ESPN, lol.

SF-GS-SJ408
08-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Skip Bayless is pure dumbass. I hate that guy. Stephen A Smith is whatever he can be dumb, but some times he gives good insight. Bayless is just arrogant thinks what he has to say is of utter importance and rolls his eyes at those he disagrees with.

JWO35
08-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I saw that, he said Scottie Pippen isn't a Top 50 NBA All-Time Player and he's a product of MJ's greatness...which is arguable.

Avenged
08-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I like both of them.

They speak their mind and cause conflict. :)

xmoney328
08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Skip is entertaining and says the stupid things for the wow factor...I don't think skip believe the things he says he's just trying to get us to say did he just say that...you gotta love skip!

Carey
08-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I saw that, he said Scottie Pippen isn't a Top 50 NBA All-Time Player and he's a product of MJ's greatness...which is arguable.

I agree, and im a huge Scottie Pippen fan, its arguable.

nanablvd
08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
stephen A Smith still a ESPN guy? I think he's gone to CNN

Derick713
08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Stephen A Smith wasn't fired. ESPN wanted to retain him, but the two sided couldn't work out a deal. Skip Bayless is a very good analyst and I have a great amount of respect for him.

gatorbait
08-13-2010, 04:26 PM
end this stupid thread.

Rivera
08-13-2010, 04:27 PM

x2

BigBlueCrew
08-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Really??

If ESPN fires Skip Bayless NO-ONE and I mean NO-ONE will watch First Take anymore and that is 4 hours worth of programming block.

I will be one of the NO-one who will eventually switch off.

JDMVP
08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Thats the media for you, yes Scottie Pippen thing was arguable, ok but this is what im gonna say for one time can we all say without the Media that the NBA championship is a TEAM award. Thats the problem with the media when we talk about the Bulls its always about MJ and I totally understand but no one ever says how great of a TEAM they were.
How guys like Toni Kukoc was important to that team, Kerr, Carwright, Grant, Luc, Jud, Craig. Those two 3peat championship were a very awesome TEAM

AstroStar
08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
skip is just silly

REALLYYYYY?
08-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I like both of them.

yep, that's what they are paid to do. there is no way that two people on every one of their little shows disagrees with each other on almost everything unless they are just doing it because it is part of their job. this scottie nonsense might not even be skip's true opinion.

levignjw
You may or not not like the man's opinions, but you have to admit he's damn good at his job.

He just wants to stir the pot and keep his name fresh; he's obviously accomplished this by the endless amount of threads made about him.

Celtic AL
Ok this dude right here, ive had enough, to say that Scottie Pippen is not a HOF, please. And to say that in "basketball HOF" everybody gets in that easily, come on now if it was that easy then Michael Cooper should be in then Byron Scott should be in then Vinnie Johnson should get in please my goodness.
SAS WORKS For FSR & Bayless is out there but hes not that bad
so.... /thread

BigBlueCrew
08-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Thats the media for you, yes Scottie Pippen thing was arguable, ok but this is what im gonna say for one time can we all say without the Media that the NBA championship is a TEAM award. Thats the problem with the media when we talk about the Bulls its always about MJ and I totally understand but no one ever says how great of a TEAM they were.
How guys like Toni Kukoc was important to that team, Kerr, Carwright, Grant, Luc, Jud, Craig. Those two 3peat championship were a very awesome TEAM

Yes but how great was that TEAM without one MICHEAL JORDAN. You remember the interruption when he wanted to try out baseball from '93-'95. How many championship did Robin win. Nada, zip, and zilch, with the same cast of characters that you list. So face it. Scottie Pippen wasn't that great without his batman.

yuoke
08-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Neither are as bad as Cowherd.

C-Wick925
08-13-2010, 04:43 PM
rpg ast stl blk pts
7.6 5.0 1.9 0.9 17.5

for an 18 year career to avg these numbers i think he should get in. not to mention the 6 rings and multiple all-star games

if you look it up bigblue scotties stat line didnt change after jordan retired. was scottie a superstar that could take a team to the finals alone? no but he was a 20 8 5 guy for nearly 15years of his 18. hes def a HoF

gbpackers12
08-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I hate Stephen A. Smith. Don't really care for Skip Bayless either, but he's entertaining sometimes.

MagicBucsSox
08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
i love skip but he's an old school guy and them dudes are stuck on Jordan's sack. pippen was a great player and is under appreciated and disrespected because jordan's greatness, they say mike got scottie 6 rings, well scottie got jordan 6 rings too. mike was nothing but a great scorer on "a team" until scottie came and developed. jordan's greatness wasnt some guardian angel carrying pippen to like 10 all-defensive teams, being im a lil older in most guys on here, i remember it being scottie guarding the other teams best perimeter guy NOT MIKE. it was scottie.

i guess cynthia cooper and vivian stringer belong in the HOF and not scottie hahahahahahaha wtf kinda world is this

PLAYERS FAN
08-13-2010, 04:49 PM

:( I miss Stephen A. Smith because he kept Skip Bayless in check. Skip was a happy man when Lebron join Wade and Bosh.

VinceCarter
08-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Chris Broussard is terrible. He should be fired. The way he talks too, he think he knows everything and is the ****.

smith&wesson
08-13-2010, 05:01 PM
unreal, we bash soo many players for not swollowing theyre egos for the better of the team and then you have this idiot saying pippen doesnt deserve to be in the hall of fame ?? pls homie. if pippen was on any other team he woudl have been the allstar and best player of that team. these guys contradict them selves way too much. pls man the guy has six rings that alone is enough to be in the hall of fame you dumbass

PLAYERS FAN
08-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes but how great was that TEAM without one MICHEAL JORDAN. You remember the interruption when he wanted to try out baseball from '93-'95. How many championship did Robin win. Nada, zip, and zilch, with the same cast of characters that you list. So face it. Scottie Pippen wasn't that great without his batman.

How many championships did MJ and Pippen won without Phil?

heroclassworker
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM
When Jordan sat out for gambling too much, Pippen carried that team to the conference semis where the Bulls were screwed. He was the all star MVP that year and playing the best basketball of his life. He is a no brainer all star and Skip Bayless is just the Ann Coulter of sports. He is a polemic, meaning he says ridiculous things to get attention and keep his job. He was a hack when he wrote for the trib. His most endearing quality is being brothers to Rick Bayless who is a phenominal chef.

MagicBucsSox
08-13-2010, 05:20 PM

scottie got that team to a game7 vs the knicks in the ECF so lets not talk like he's a bum, how many rings MJ got w/o Scottie? simply answer the question

Klivlend
08-13-2010, 05:27 PM

Don't forget about Ron Harper!

SluggeR
08-13-2010, 05:46 PM
skip makes me not wanna watch 1st and 10

RaiderLakersA's
08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
i love skip but he's an old school guy and them dudes are stuck on Jordan's sack.

I totally agree.

I consider myself old school, too, but guys like Skip act like Jordan walked on water. They completely ignore all of his flaws; in fact, let them tell it, he had none.

And they are complete hypocrites when it comes to assessing Jordan's virtues. If MJ goes out and punches a teammate, well, he was just being fiercely competitive. But if Kobe bad mouths Bynum, well, he's being a poor leader and a world class butthole to boot. If Jordan goes out and throws up 30 shots, well, that's fine for team chemistry. But let Wade or someone else do that and Skip will start ranting about how he's a ball hog who is out for self only.

Jordan never made ANY of his teammates better, they developed on their own and stepped up to his level. That's not including guys like Harper, Kukoc or Rodman, who were already skilled players before they met Jordan. But guys like Skip always look to today's superstars and criticize them for not making their teammates better. Bunch of crock. The same standards should apply across the board.

And don't even get me started on Jordan having bad games, because those are conveniently swept under the rug. Even in the playoffs Jordan had some poor shooting performances. But you won't hear about them. Not from Skip. Listen to Skip wax philosophical about Jordan and you'll start to believe that Jordan averaged 99% from the floor his entire career, pulled down 50 rebounds, blocked 40 shots, and pilfered another 30 a night.

It's a shame really, because when he's right, Skip is right. But more often than not, he's more like Steven A Smith with a slightly higher IQ.

Does Pippen belong in the HOF? A pointless argument. He'd get in anyway, ironically, because of guys like Skip and their "Jordan was Jehovah" man crushes.

Russollini
08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I know, if it were that easy Stephen A would be in lol

StevenU2009
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Obviously the Bull teams were great teams. No single player can win 72 games in a season-or 6 championships, without a lot of good support. That being said, Pippen was a very good player-definitely NOT a top 50 player, and a borderline HOF player.He was certainly a great defender and a very good sidekick. When he finally had his moment to be top banana he failed pretty badly. I wish him the best, I heard he is broke. Just please don't start saying pax, or kerr, or cartwright or grant or any of those guys deserve to be in. They do not. Not by a country mile. The only other Bull player who probably should be in is the Worm. And that is, at least in part, due to big success in Motown before becoming a Bull.

Russollini
08-13-2010, 05:56 PM

...and that is exactly why many true B-Ball fans are getting burned out on it. I love B-Ball, but they lost the team aspect, and it is all about the one player. Football and Basketball more then any other sport needs to work as a machine. In baseball one player can make a HUGE difference, in the others you need a team around you, ask Wade, Bron and Bosh how the being the man thing worked out or KG, Allen, Rondo and Pierce or Kobe, Pau, Odom, et all.

I think it actually started with AI, Vince, Kobe and all the Isolation plays that were run back in the day, then the league changed the rules and it promoted singular players. Bring back the Hand Check and the elbows :), and make it a team sport again.

xbrackattackx
08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Come On Guys Pippen and Rodman both deserve spots in the HOF.

Pippen was amazing on defense.
Rodman Avg 17 Rebounds a game.

DCSportsIsPain
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Who gives a **** about Steven A. Smith? BSPN should fire their ****ing producers and find replacements who aren't fascinated by sensationalistic tabloid horseshit. Saying Pippen isn't a Hall of Famer is just another way to get people talking about BSPN. I guess it worked.

WITZ
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Skip is a jack*** but he nailed it when talking about queen james.

AllKohn
08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
I hated every stupid word that came out of Steven A. Smith's mouth.

knickerbockerny
08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Skip says the things that most people in sports and media are afraid to say. Believe or not the majority of the times he is correct.

As for Stephen A. Smith he was not fired, ESPN and him could not agree on a contract so they went their seperate ways.

knickerbockerny
08-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Come On Guys Pippen and Rodman both deserve spots in the HOF.

Pippen was amazing on defense.
Rodman Avg 17 Rebounds a game.

Rodman and Pippen do deserve to be there. Rodman average 18 rebound per game twice. Think about that for a second.

dannyj42
08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
i agree with REALLYYYY? in that they might not even be his views but a debate show would be rather boring if both sides agreed with every topic. So they have to have someone that has the shock value and goes against what people seem to want to hear.

m26555
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
He isn't even close to being one of the top 50 players of all-time. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Pippen is the most overrated player in history. Very good player? Yes. All-time great? Please.

stealth33
08-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Such a weak argument. Who was Scottie's "Robin"? It wasn't the same cast of characters...because Scottie Pippen didn't have a Scottie Pippen.

Are you saying Jordan would have won the championship that year if you straight up replaced Scottie with Jordan? It's possible but very arguable. And even if Jordan could...nobody is saying Scottie = Jordan. He did very well with the team he had.

BigBlueCrew
08-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Such a weak argument. Who was Scottie's "Robin"? It wasn't the same cast of characters...because Scottie Pippen didn't have a Scottie Pippen.

Are you saying Jordan would have won the championship that year if you straight up replaced Scottie with Jordan? It's possible but very arguable. And even if Jordan could...nobody is saying Scottie = Jordan. He did very well with the team he had.

Who was Scottie's robin in those years? Well this one is easy. The Croatian Sensation. That's right Toni Kukoc. He was Scottie Pippen to Scottie Pippen. So this is an invalid part of you argument. Sorry

ElMarroAfamado
08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
skip is right for the most part....i will always respect him and anything he says
because like me (since day one)

he was right about lebron james....

juggla53
08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Jesus people are gullible, do you guys actully believe that everything that comes out of skips mouth is the way he actully feels? The guy is one of the most talked about sportswriters in America because of saying things like this. He comes up with radical claims because it boosts ratings because people will tune in to see what ridiculous new theory skip has. If he sounded like every other sports writer then he would have never made it on TV and would still be writeing for internet websites and newspapers. Its hilarious to watch people get so mad at skip. He knows how to get under peoples skin and that has helped launch his career to one of the most recognizeable names/faces in sports reporting.

masalex1205
08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Stephen A. Smith sucks

hgtiger32
08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
in before close

_KB24_
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Wow, Skip. Stick to bashing LeBrick, Pippen is a legend.

CowboysKB24
08-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Skip is the biggest reason why I watch ESPN. He gives great points. I don't agree with him everytime, but he has a point with Scottie. The HOF is for the best of the best. Scottie played number 2 his entire career. He didn't have the chance to show himself as the star of a team in his prime. Skip is great, you guys are whacked. He knows what he is talking about.

tredigs
08-13-2010, 08:33 PM

I think MJ might get a bit too much credit for that one. I do think he helped Scottie maximize his potential, but the bottom line is that the potential was already there. Pippen was an amazing college player (dude was putting up 24pts 10ast 4reb 3+ steals in his final year at Arkansas) and went fifth in the draft over guys like Mark Jackson/Reggie Miller/Kevin Johnson. He was supposed to be great, and he was. Whether he was helped by MJ or not is irrelevant.

Beyond that, he put up 22pts 9reb 6ast w/ 3stls (a lot like his college numbers...) the year that MJ left. So what is Skip talking about, exactly? Dude's a clown.

mynameismo
08-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Still open? In before close.

JordansBulls
08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Did Stephen A get fired or did he decline the salary ESPN was offering him?

tredigs
08-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Skip is the biggest reason why I watch ESPN. He gives great points. I don't agree with him everytime, but he has a point with Scottie. The HOF is for the best of the best. Scottie played number 2 his entire career. He didn't have the chance to show himself as the star of a team in his prime. Skip is great, you guys are whacked. He knows what he is talking about.

There's 287 players in the Hall. Do you really think Scottie isn't a part of that? The guy was a top 3 wing defender of all time, and absolute force on offense as well. Without Scottie, the Bulls don't have these rings, period. He is the best of the best - the guy is unarguably a top ten SF of all time. No brainer for the hall. I will reiterate, Skip Bayless is a clown.

thescore53
08-13-2010, 08:46 PM
he should get fired for sayng his opinion. stepen a. lies and blames it on his "sources"

_KB24_
08-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Did Stephen A get fired or did he decline the salary ESPN was offering him?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was bad contract negotiations.

fins08
08-13-2010, 11:25 PM
SAS was one of the only ones who called the Miami Big 3 and stuck by it

oriolesfan8
08-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I saw that this mroning on ESPN. I actually agreed for once with most of Skip's argument except for one part. He claimed that the MLB and NFL have Hall of Fames with higher standards than the NBA. That is completely false. Look at some of the jokes that have made the baseball Hall of Fame. Phil Ruzitto, Bill Mazerowski, Jim Rice just to name a few.

MELO 15
08-13-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree, and im a huge Scottie Pippen fan, its arguable.

no offense, but u my friend knows nothing about the game of basketball if u really believe that, when jordan left, pippen led his team in all categories, led his team to the playoffs, and should have the mvp award, but they decided to go with david robinson instead, and thats because that 71 point game he had practically gave it to him, but if u look at the numbers pippen had a better year. Pippen was a better defender than jordan, look back at the year jordan was having a hard time guarding magic, once they put pippen on him, magic was the one having a hard time. I go back, and am a nba junky. And u trully believe pippen isn't top 50, or hall of famer, u really need top stop watching the game. Sorry this subject here is very sensitive to me, and skip has lost all my respect.

Ender
08-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Liked Skip better when he wasn't on TV 40 hrs. a week.

juggla53
08-13-2010, 11:39 PM

I still stick by the fact that skip comes up with a lot of these claims to get a rise out of people, thus why he is one of the most talked about sportswriters in america, however if robert parish and james worthy are in the HOF (both players were 3rd options on teams that did not win as many titles as scottie) then how in the hell does scottie pippen not get in? Essentially what your saying is that anyone who wasnt a number one option shouldnt be in the HOF? if thats not what your saying then correct me but it sure seems that way.

Maddog-99
08-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Skip is on ESPN solely to cause conflict & get people to post threads like this.
That is his only job.
He has no credibility with me, because he always takes the negative/contrarian position to perform in his role of stirring things up.
Doesnt really have any original thought, just plays the Simon Cowell role for sports.
That would be in contrast to real contributors who are free speaking like Barkley.

Raidaz4Life
08-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I use to think he was interesting but as of late he is nothing more than a stuck up prick who likes being different for the sake of being different.

juggla53
08-14-2010, 01:12 AM
^ i agree but thats what keeps him on TV and collecting a fat check every week, so i imagine he will continue to do so. I wish him and woody were still on together like when it was cold pizza, those two together were hilarious

HouRealCoach
08-14-2010, 02:17 AM

He does have a GOOD point

THE MTL
08-14-2010, 02:22 AM

Alot of the stuff is true. It is rather easy to get into the HoF and even Michael Jordan complained about it last year when he was inducted. And players should be inducted later as well. Jordan played 8 seasons ago.

Scottie Pippen is NOT a Top 50 All-time greatest! Especially since guys like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, etc are soon to join the ranks.

THE MTL
08-14-2010, 02:25 AM
no offense, but u my friend knows nothing about the game of basketball if u really believe that, when jordan left, pippen led his team in all categories, led his team to the playoffs, and should have the mvp award, but they decided to go with david robinson instead, and thats because that 71 point game he had practically gave it to him, but if u look at the numbers pippen had a better year. Pippen was a better defender than jordan, look back at the year jordan was having a hard time guarding magic, once they put pippen on him, magic was the one having a hard time. I go back, and am a nba junky. And u trully believe pippen isn't top 50, or hall of famer, u really need top stop watching the game. Sorry this subject here is very sensitive to me, and skip has lost all my respect.

Well, we all know what happened those years when Pippen lead the team. They didnt win! ENOUGH SAID!

Btw, Michael Jordan was perhaps one of the best perimeter defenders in the history of the game.....and to say Pippen had better defense SMH!

show34
08-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Yeah but they shouldve paid steven a smith wut he was worth instead of hiring all those anchors for sports center skip is good and keeps it entertaining but stephen a smith go straight at you i rather have sas

What?
08-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Well, we all know what happened those years when Pippen lead the team. They didnt win! ENOUGH SAID!

Btw, Michael Jordan was perhaps one of the best perimeter defenders in the history of the game.....and to say Pippen had better defense SMH!

Obviously when the GOAT leaves a team there not going to win a Championship the next season...

Also Jordan may have been one of the best perimeter defenders of all time but Pippen was the best perimeter defender of all time so to say Pippen wasn't better SMH!

John Walls Era
08-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Skip is good. Hes someone you either like or hate, which is what he wants to be. Hes been right about Lebron James all along, am I right?

boriquaabe
08-14-2010, 03:13 AM

No it's not enough said. What did Mike win without scottie? Nothing. Now enough said. What a foolish post to squash.

boriquaabe
08-14-2010, 03:16 AM
All you have to do is watch scottie play in a full game not youtube highlights and you can tell he is easily one of the 50 greatest. The guy did everything good and was a physical presence,long and extremely athletic and you can argue that he was as good if not better than Michael defensively. When the Bulls won their first championship Scottie Pippen picking up Magic full court for the entire series really wore Magic out and was the key strategy that helped get the Bulls their first chip.

gocubs2118
08-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Scottie would have led the Bulls to another championship in 1994 if it weren't for some stupid phantom call against the Knicks.

boriquaabe
08-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Scottie would have led the Bulls to another championship in 1994 if it weren't for some stupid phantom call against the Knicks.

I'm not going to lie it was a phantom call.

hyb152
08-14-2010, 05:03 AM
I like both of them.

That may be true, but at least Stephen A. Smith speaks the truth sometimes or something reasonable. Skip is just a pure, straight forward, up front, dumbass.