PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about your team's players playing for their national teams?

DenButsu
08-13-2010, 01:08 PM
I think from the players' perspective, nearly all of them consider it an honor and a privilege to play for their national team. Plus, they probably just enjoy the chance to play some additional competitive basketball. And I certainly don't begrudge any of them the opportunity to do that.

Who I have in mind right now in making this thread is Billups. He's not getting any younger, and he's already shown signs of late season fatigue in his two recent seasons with the Nuggets. He was recently on Jim Rome, and he's obviously thrilled to have the chance to win a championship for the U.S., so I'm happy for him on that level, and I hope he helps take the team all the way.

But at the same time I think Nuggets fans have some real reason to be concerned about him adding any extra wear and tear on his body, and the risks that come with that - namely increased fatigue and risk of injury (as I bloody my knuckles knocking on wood that won't happen).

I guess in short I have mixed feelings (as I'm sure most people probably do), but if I had to choose, I'd ultimately have to opt for not having him play for Team USA. Although, as I said above, I definitely don't blame him for making the choice to play.

Slimsim
08-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I was glad that Amare didn't play on the national team. Can't risk him getting injured

gwrighter
08-13-2010, 01:32 PM
for the USA its a lil different because they have a sea of talent compared to places like France, Canada n brazil. I think the players should represent their country. For example when steve nash first refused to play for team canada ppl here were up in arms.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Players should represent their countrys with Pride.

Oakley's Fist
08-13-2010, 02:22 PM

This, as the international game gets more competitive these games seem to take on more and more meaning for the actual players. Especially now that non superstars are getting an opportunity to play for the team.

To me its a great opportunity, take JaVale McGee. Where else would he get the chance to play with some many great players at the same time? I think it will stoke his competitive fire and maybe he will pick up some things that will make his game better.

ombada
08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I voted that i would want them to play, my example being Danny Granger. I think he will pick up valuable experience in international competition that will make him a better player and perhaps allow him to take his game to the next step. Hes also a great teamate. He will improve the chemistry of the USA national team.

Kakaroach
08-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree with Crooner for once, players should rep their country and I'm fine with any Jazz player that decides to do so.

Chacarron
08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
The Lakers are looking to 3-peat this upcoming season so I'm glad Kobe and Gasol decided not to go to the FIBA WC. As far as Odom goes, I would have wanted him not to go, considering what we are trying to achieve.

Highlight
08-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Players should be able to represent their country. I don't think any team should have control over whether or not a player can represent their country.

That being said, if a player is old or injured, in the end he will make the decision that he feels is best for him and his future.

dhopisthename
08-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I think that it should be a player by player basis, but I think if any player wants to represent their country they should.

Melo15
08-13-2010, 05:52 PM
It really depends on the certain player. Like Denbutsu mentioned earlier with Chauncey Billups. As a Nuggets fan I don't want him to play because with his age it makes him a greater injury risk and he likely will show signs of fatigue next season. Guys like Durant should play because they are young and in their prime and are faces of the NBA.

abe_froman
08-13-2010, 05:56 PM

this.

also i think its great,better than any summer practice session that they have,going up against some of the best from around the world will just make them that much more ready and tuned up for the season

tredigs
08-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I think it's awesome - especially for the young guys who don't have to worry about injury or season fatigue as much as an old guy like Kobe would. It's the opportunity of a lifetime and something that can help cement a legacy. Plus for my boy Steph Curry, it can only help him out by gaining the experience. USA! USA! USA! **** you, Europe : ]

Baller1
08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
I love it. Durant has been open about this being his ultimate dream, and so I'm glad he's joining the team and living the dream.

Kevin Durant was quoted saying he'd rather "win a gold medal with the US team than win an NBA championship".

xbrackattackx
08-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I love it. Durant has been open about this being his ultimate dream, and so I'm glad he's joining the team and living the dream.

Kevin Durant was quoted saying he'd rather "win a gold medal with the US team than win an NBA championship".

I know, I love his love for the sport and his country. God, Durant is the Man!

Baller1
08-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I know, I love his love for the sport and his country. God, Durant is the Man!

Yeah, it's probably unhealthy how much I love him.

mynameismo
08-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Go bring home the Gold.