PDA

View Full Version : NBA, NBAPA have constructive talk over collective bargaining

gbrl
08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
NBA stars were out in force for Thursday's collective bargaining session between the league and the Players Association in New York. This was first significant meeting for the two sides since the All-Star break in February.

The NBA and the union also agreed to another meeting before training camp, issuing the following joint statement:

"The NBA and NBPA held a four-hour bargaining meeting today that included constructive dialogue and a productive exchange of information. While we still have much work to do, it was encouraging how many players and owners participated in the process and all pledged to continue to work together. We all agreed to meet again before training camp."

Among those joining the players in executive meeting were LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul. A similar showing of the league's elite was made during the previous meeting in Dallas, illustrating the players' commitment to these negotiations.

"It's important for me that all of us, as being the faces of the NBA, to be involved in the negotiations and what's going on," Anthony told reporters after the session. "Our future is in jeopardy if we can't come into a mutual agreement."

The current CBA expires after the upcoming season. The league has suffered one work stoppage in its history -- a lockout to start the 1998-99 season.

As opposed to a session that turned contentious in February, when the union rejected the league's initial contract proposal, the tone of Thursday's meeting was reportedly more cordial. Still, little progress was made.

The two sides continue to disagree over the amount the league is claiming in losses for last season. NBA commissioner said last month teams collectively lost approximately $370 million. Also at issue is the players' percentage of revues, which are at 57 percent under the current deal.

The league is looking for significant changes to the current system. The NBPA submitted its own contract offer last month.

"They generally objected to the entire proposal," union president Billy Hunter told CBSSports.com. "They said they didn't agree with it. We kind of anticipated that. But at the same time, it lends itself to more discussion so they all felt as though we did make progress in terms of our willingness to talk to one another as opposed to at one another. And so to that extent, things felt a lot better in the room -- the atmosphere, the environment, the nature of the discussions-- more so than in February. Things have thawed a lot."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/12/nba.cba/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

hopefully an agreement can be made

BrotherRedz
08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Can anyone elaborate on what each side wanted?

Chacarron
08-12-2010, 10:56 PM
They should have a fantasy draft! It would be entertaining and probably has 0 chance at happening. But it would be ****ing awesome.

td0tsfinest
08-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Isn't this the same meeting that every member of the league's negotiating committee atended except Dan Gilbert ?

Wonder why he didn't go.

Sixerlover
08-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I hope they avoid all drama and agree to this deal as soon as the season ends. A lockout would be devastating

Khalifa21
08-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Fingers crossed for an agreement... I don't think I could handle a year without NBA.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Play3rs shold demmand Free market RIGHT Here and Right Now.

BrotherRedz
08-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Isn't this the same meeting that every member of the league's negotiating committee atended except Dan Gilbert ?

Wonder why he didn't go.

I herd he might wet his pants if Bron glared at him

They should have a fantasy draft! It would be entertaining and probably has 0 chance at happening. But it would be ****ing awesome.

Damn I really want this to happen too, everyone equal opportunity, errrm
GO COMMUNIST NBA!!!!

Seriously no more no state income taxes, and luxury tax issues

I also wish, Players of a team when they retire shouldnt be allowed to HOLD GM positions of other teams they didnt play with. (Coaches, Trainers, Scouts only)

Highlight
08-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Lets hope they get the CBA figured out, so we don't find ourselves circle jerking on PSD.