PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnet One

frostilicus
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I just wanted to give a big **** you to Rogers for taking 25 Jays games and making them the exclusive property of the brand new Sportsnet One channel; a channel that is currently only available to Rogers subscribers. That's a real kick in the nuts for those of us who don't live in areas where Rogers is the cable provider. Great move guys. :clap:

clutchski
08-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I just wanted to give a big **** you to Rogers for taking 25 Jays games and making them the exclusive property of the brand new Sportsnet One channel; a channel that is currently only available to Rogers subscribers. That's a real kick in the nuts for those of us who don't live in areas where Rogers is the cable provider. Great move guys. :clap:

Yeah I live in an area that can't get cable..so it sucks. I'm also missing the start of the Premiership this weekend to Sportsnet One.

That being said, I work at Rogers lol. I love my job so I'm a bit mixed on the situation.

Twitchy
08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
It's pretty douchey they'd do that. Especially since Beeston or one of the high ranking officials said the whole reason was to get all the Jays games on one network so that it was easier for fans to watch.

Looking back now there were reports that Rogers wanted to do this to launch Sportsnet One, but it's still a pretty lousy thing to do. At least before everyone had access to the 25 games on TSN. Now if you don't get Rogers One you lose out on a decent chunk of the season.

Considering that attendance is down and TV ratings were a big source of revenue, I'm not sure that this is gonna help them that much either.

H-MYK
08-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Now I have a new reason to curse at Cogeco. But it's a bs move by Rogers to do this, it's not fair to the Jays and Raptors fans to telecast some of the games like that.

Geerod
08-12-2010, 08:06 PM
That's really annoying... and I'm guessing that the Extra Innings package will still black out those games?

T.O. Fan
08-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Don't worry.

They'll end up buying Cogeco, Shaw, Videotron, etc. soon enough anyways ;)

idrinkpepsi
08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
This is going to be way more annoying then the TSN and TSN 2 stuff, great.

T.O. Fan
08-12-2010, 08:18 PM
^^^ My guess is that it will end up the same way as TSN2 and eventually be on the other Television providers' packages.

fatkev78
08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, this blows.....

nithanyo
08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Im sure alll providers will get it. Its probably gonna be after this season tho, so it sucks for te guys who ddont have rogers

AmmoWasted
08-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Rogers just gives me more reason to hate them.

BBB
08-13-2010, 08:20 AM
****ing ****

scottythegreat1
08-13-2010, 01:31 PM
This is going to happen more and more. Owners of cable and Satellite networks making deals so that their games are ONLY going on their network. Rogers is just the one getting the ball rolling.

I wouldnt be surprised if Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment stikes a deal with Bell to put LeafsTV and Raptors TV exclusively on THEIR network so Rogers customers get left out. This is what is going to happen, more exclusive sports games so only Rogers customers get cetain games and Bell Customers their their set of games, so if you like Baseball, you go to Rogers, and if you like Hockey, you get Bell Satellite. That way if you want BOTH sports, you have to pay for BOTH networks, more money for the corporations, less for us people.

Anyways, I have Cogeco, so Sportsnet one wont be on my list, and I dont want it. The Baseball games are probably the only regular thing I watch on televison these days.

idrinkpepsi
08-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Robbers is absolutely robbing my household on Cable costs and when I want to switch they introduce Sportsnet One?
:mad:

Manatoo
08-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes because if there was one thing sportsnet needed itsto show more hours to show poker, billiards and bowling...

Dol-Fan
08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
**** you Rogers. I have Cogeco :(

thescore53
08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
**** that ****

ktownguy31
08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
wow so me being on shaw i cant see tha game tonight....great
is there any websites that stream the game like can be done with leaf games?

fatkev78
09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Shaw Direct is announcing via recorded message when you call their customer care number that an agreement has been reached and they'll be offering SportsnetOne in the next few days!

fatkev78
09-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Hello sports fans!! #SportsnetOne will be available tonight on channels 267/309 for HD and 414/110 for SD.

http://twitter.com/ShawDirect_News

Even better - it starts tonight just in time for Drabek's debut!
I hope all you guys with Bell/Cogeco get it soon too.

scotttube
09-15-2010, 03:47 PM

What about everyone without a digital cable provider? I've had enough of this crap. We get Rogers cable but not with a box. I only get like channels 2-70. We've tried paying for a box and their cable guys couldn't run a line in that wouldn't cut out every 2 weeks. We've tried satellite but we live in an area with tons of trees and the signal isn't strong enough. I literally cannot watch my favourite team that I have lower level season tickets to when they're on the road. This Sportsnet One channel screwed me and they've lost my business. I'm not renewing my tickets or following this team again. I pay for their season seats, their cable, internet and phone and that's what they do. I can't get out of my phone contract but I'm not interested in watching the Jays anymore.

BlueJays_29
09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
What about everyone without a digital cable provider? I've had enough of this crap. We get Rogers cable but not with a box. I only get like channels 2-70. We've tried paying for a box and their cable guys couldn't run a line in that wouldn't cut out every 2 weeks. We've tried satellite but we live in an area with tons of trees and the signal isn't strong enough. I literally cannot watch my favourite team that I have lower level season tickets to when they're on the road. This Sportsnet One channel screwed me and they've lost my business. I'm not renewing my tickets or following this team again. I pay for their season seats, their cable, internet and phone and that's what they do. I can't get out of my phone contract but I'm not interested in watching the Jays anymore.

Tell it to the Jays, not us.

fatkev78
09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
^^ Dude, if you choose to live in a spot where you can't get a digital box OR a satelitte dish you can hardly blame Rogers for that.
I do agree this Sportsnet One thing has been an absolute joke though.

Bob_at_york
09-15-2010, 04:16 PM

****, that sucks man.

ramz.n
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
can't watch on tv..cant watch online because my internet stinks at school..plz tell me how drabek pitches guys :(

Asham
09-15-2010, 06:30 PM
He will throw a perfect game for 8 2/3 innings and then be pulled by Cito

Bjaxn45
09-15-2010, 06:56 PM

YES!!! I'm so happy. I assumed I'd just be catching the highlights on this one. Sorry to anyone who still can't watch.

H-MYK
09-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Sportsnet One is continuing to piss me off. Bautista just hit homer no 47, and some of us weren't able to see it, stead we got to watch MMA connected. Thank you so much Rogers. :mad:

Halladay
09-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Ridiculous how I can have hundreds of channels with expressvu including two TSN channels and 4 sportsnet channels but I don't have sportsnet one and can't get it through Bell. This is absolutely crazy for Rogers to do this. I even heard Mike Toth this morning on the radio basically chirping his employer. Rogers should be embarrassed and rightfully so. Your drawing 4 digit numbers to ball games so your marketing strategy is to cut off 80% entirely? This is just as bad as when the NHL came out of the lockout and signed big contracts with VS. and OLN. Why am I stuck watching MMA(which I actually like but would rather watch our future Drabek pitch) or our rivals like Boston, Tampa, and New York when I could be watching the damn team that the network owns? To me that's like going on a tour in the pepsi plant and they're giving samples of coca-cola.

ah nuts
09-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Ridiculous how I can have hundreds of channels with expressvu including two TSN channels and 4 sportsnet channels but I don't have sportsnet one and can't get it through Bell. This is absolutely crazy for Rogers to do this. I even heard Mike Toth this morning on the radio basically chirping his employer. Rogers should be embarrassed and rightfully so. Your drawing 4 digit numbers to ball games so your marketing strategy is to cut off 80% entirely? This is just as bad as when the NHL came out of the lockout and signed big contracts with VS. and OLN. Why am I stuck watching MMA(which I actually like but would rather watch our future Drabek pitch) or our rivals like Boston, Tampa, and New York when I could be watching the damn team that the network owns? To me that's like going on a tour in the pepsi plant and they're giving samples of coca-cola.

plus dare to take away the weekend games vs boston. Un-****in believable.

H-MYK
09-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Exactly, it doesn't make any sense at all. It's just a ******** idea to begin with.

nstojic
09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Fact: Rogers is beginning to get Sportsnet One to more Canadians outside southern Ontario and Fenelon Falls. Shaw and its 3.7 million subscribers are now on board with the free preview and a deal with Telus and its 200,000-plus homes is imminent. Others will follow.

Fiction: Knowing that Jose Bautista was going to challenge George Bell’s team home run record, Rogers switched some of the Blue Jays games to Sportsnet One in hopes of forcing other cable companies to carry the channel.

Fact: Some Blue Jays games originally intended for Sportsnet’s regular channels were moved to Sportsnet One, but that happened more than a month ago before the channel launched.

Fiction: In an attempt to appease angry Blue Jays fans, Rogers will move the rest of Sportsnet One’s games back to Sportsnet.

It’s not hard to understand why people might believe some pretty crazy things surrounding Sportsnet One, though the last item that came from one Toronto Star reader defies credulity on too many levels.

After all, when Sportsnet Ontario shows something called Monster Motocross, poker and the Red Bull Air Race when the Blue Jays are playing in Tampa Bay on most inaccessible Sportsnet One, as was the case Sunday, it’s not hard to see why people might believe anything.

That said, here’s an indisputable fact: Sportsnet One will be on most, if not all, cable and satellite systems within the next few months. It will be free for the time being, but eventually your cable bill will go up if you decide to keep it.

Not surprisingly, a substantial number will — enough to allow Sportsnet One to add to Rogers’ increasingly expanding bottom line. But many won’t, either because they refuse to pay more or because they simply can’t afford to.

For them, maybe it’s time for the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to stand up for fans and draft a charter of rights for viewers.

Here are a few areas it could cover:

If any game is moved from a channel on basic cable to one that isn’t, the subscriber would be granted free access to that channel for one year. Or, if a fan subscribes to a channel such as Setanta and then finds games moved to a channel such as Sportsnet One, he or she is entitled to a rebate or a free year’s subscription to the second channel.

New channels should be barred from siphoning off sports from existing channels for five years. That way, a Sportsnet One could show games that aren’t aired in this country but not ones that already do.

Any league or team that does so must hand out free tickets to the underprivileged.

It isn’t going to happen, of course, but one can dream.http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/862457--zelkovich-how-about-a-charter-of-rights-for-sports-fans?bn=1

2009mvp
09-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Or: If you're gonna continue to pillage already disgruntled Toronto sports fans, at least put some of that money back into the team's payroll...