PDA

View Full Version : Rockets gain trade exception worth 6.3 million in deal

Highlight
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
The Rockets' front office deeply believes the best value contracts in basketball are max deals granted to transcendent superstars, and rookie scale contracts belonging to productive young players. In Lee, the Rockets get a young wing who will earn only $1.35 million in 2010-11. In addition, the Rockets hold a team option on Lee for $2.23 million in 2011-12. That's real value for a 24 year old with with the talent to start. A $6.3 million trade exception doesn't hurt either.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18923/breaking-down-the-4-team-trade

This trade now makes a lot more sense for Houston. They save lots of money while filling a void. Battier and Budinger should get all the PT at SF, while Kevin Martin and Lee fill up the SG rotation. That looks pretty good on paper.

Remember Lee was a nice bench player for Orlando (Finals) a couple years ago. He may play at his best when he's playing off the bench.

Khalifa21
08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
It's not like they're trying to cut costs though... Lee is certainly a downgrade from Ariza.

We'll see how well they use that trade exception...

Highlight
08-11-2010, 06:05 PM
It's not like they're trying to cut costs though... Lee is certainly a downgrade from Ariza.

We'll see how well they use that trade exception...

True. Morey has the green light, but why not cut down costs while filling a void at the same time? I'm sure they like having Battier and Budinger at the SF rotation and now they have a legit back up 2 guard.

I'm not saying this is a fantastic move by management, but it's not like it doesn't make sense. I see what they were trying to do, but we just have to wait and see how well it pans out.

chisox721
08-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I didnt even know trade exceptions could get that high. If yao is healthy and they look like contenders in february they could make a deal to really contend with the lakers with the exception.

astrosmaniac
08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
the jazz, suns, cavs, and raptors all got TEs in the 10-16 million dollar range this off season

blazerman
08-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Morey f'd this one up Ariza for Lee and a 6.3 mil exception. Ariza is proven and could have fetched a much better deal than that. Whatever though the Rockets are competition.

It's kinda interesting how the NBA has evened out across the board with a lot of teams improving dramatically especially with some suspect signings and trades that dont benefit some teams and will most certainly make some players stats take a huge hit and with selfish players that are 99% of the time, me first type of players, males you wonder.

Gators123
08-11-2010, 06:53 PM
It makes it more even now

hyb152
08-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Maybe the Rockets are trying get in position to make a play for Melo next year?

Melo + K-Mart.... talk about offensive fire power

zambo4president
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Maybe the Rockets are trying get in position to make a play for Melo next year?

Melo + K-Mart.... talk about offensive fire power

Talk about ugly shot selection

zambo4president
08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Id take Lee over Ariza anyways

YoungOne
08-11-2010, 09:03 PM
good move for the rockets now they have martin/lee and battier/bundinger at the wing, thats pretty solid. ariza shot too much for his percentage..

bringinwood
08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Talk about ugly shot selection

ugh...

Not only that but the defense would be just about as bad as it gets...

Highlight
08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't know about what other Rockets' and NBA fans think, but I think Kevin Martin is a little bit of a black hole, but w/e

Hopefully this year Adelman can prove me wrong. The man is an amazing coach and if anyone can make Martin a winner, it's Adelman and only a select few others coaches. (Sloan, Phil, Pop, etc.)

Kakaroach
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Ahhh does make a little more sense now. Trust Morey to do something with this TE, he's more than capable.

Highlight
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Ahhh does make a little more sense now. Trust Morey to do something with this TE, he's more than capable.

Morey has a few assets to play with now. That TE and Jeffries contract could bring a nice piece to their team.

Giannis94
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Anyone wanna explain to me what a Te is?

Highlight
08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Anyone wanna explain to me what a Te is?

It allows teams to make trades above the salary cap. It can be used only to acquire existing contracts from other teams.

Teams with a trade exception have up to a year in which they can acquire more salary in other trades then they send away.

Here is an example that I think would work:
If Houston wanted Darren Collison in a trade. They could consume his 1.3 million dollar contract without trading anyone away.