PDA

View Full Version : Should the Lakers retire Shaq's jersey?

m26555
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Even with everything that has transpired since 2004, I still think the Lakers pretty much have to retire the number 34. He was the main reason for the three-peat and will certainly go into Hall-of-Fame as a Laker. What are your thoughts?

dre1990
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
3 Finals mvp's = hell yea

mikealike305
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
of couse

ManRam
08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
It's an absolute no-brainer: OF COURSE.

He LED them to 3 championships. End of story.

S-Dot
08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Umm.yes, and they shouldn't think twice about it. He brought that franchise back to championship status.

Kakaroach
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Of course the should, whether or not they will is up to them.

mynameismo
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
No brainer

BOSTON617
08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
mayb i mean he did spit on their franchise and i mean truthfully if mj won 4 titles with the bulls left the team for say the knicks and basiclly said scottie pippen can kiss my *** and **** the bulls it could of been a dif story for mj.... i would say depnding on his relationship with the organization as of when he retires but as of now... no prob not....

Celtic AL
08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
i say yeah! he help them get 3 titles then ya! and if any laker fan says no because he went to the c's is crazy!

Gators123
08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Without a doubt they should.

justinnum1
08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes

Hellcrooner
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes but make him wait a little for it.

Also it cant turn to a NO deppending on his behaviour if he happens to win a ring against us being a Celtic.

KeithLBC
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
NOPE. If he left on a better note and didn't disrespect everyone in the organization, then yeah, without a doubt. Being that he just signed with a 'hated rival', that kills his chance IMHO.

Celtic AL
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
NOPE. If he left on a better note and didn't disrespect everyone in the organization, then yeah, without a doubt. Being that he just signed with a 'hated rival', that kills his chance IMHO.
your crazy

mikealike305
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
mayb i mean he did spit on their franchise and i mean truthfully if mj won 4 titles with the bulls left the team for say the knicks and basiclly said scottie pippen can kiss my *** and **** the bulls it could of been a dif story for mj.... i would say depnding on his relationship with the organization as of when he retires but as of now... no prob not....

what? are u serious? of course they are going to... he was huge for the lakers and the city of L.A... no question they will retire 34

ManRam
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM

He didn't "spit on the franchise". He and Kobe had a little bit of a public feud. What happened was Phil wasn't offered a new contract, something Shaq felt was Kobe's doing (and in hindsight, it probably was). Shaq wasn't informed about any of this, and found out the same way we all did: on TV. Shaq admittedly said that he felt betrayed, and did ask for a trade. He felt he wasn't getting enough say in organizational matters. This was the same time Kobe was flirting with the Clippers. Basically, the organization had to decide between the two. The organization decided to go with Kobe over Shaq...

Shaq was traded too. He didn't just "leave". Also, don't forget how Kobe slandered Shaq too. Remember? (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6134411/ns/bryant_sexual_assault_lawsuit/) It was a really tricky situation, and it had to be either Kobe or Shaq, and BOTH players made it that way.

Of course his jersey gets retired.

ManRam
08-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I can't believe two people seriously think he just left the Lakers. He was traded. Remember? For Odom, Grant and Butler and a first.

defender4m
08-10-2010, 11:53 AM
for sure

JDMVP
08-10-2010, 11:53 AM
As a Laker fan yes I think they will retire his jersey but at the same time i will understand why maybe the LAKERS org. won't retire his jersey

Luke_K77bear
08-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Shaq's a sell-out, he'll be a curse, like he's been since heat championship

Brooklyn Mets
08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Knick fan says Yes haha
even though he played (and won a Championship) for other teams he is always going to be remembered as a Laker

Celtic AL
08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I can't believe two people seriously think he just left the Lakers. He was traded. Remember? For Odom, Grant and Butler and a first.

i agree manram! non topic but same with Rodger Clemens! a Redsox Legend who Left the sox becuase Dan thought he was done than he did not sign with NY he was traded! it was toronto who signed him 1st & traded him to NY! if Roger did not take the PEDs the Redsox would of sign him to a 1day contract and retired his number 21! as for shaq hes clean! Peds & legal trouble can stop the Team to reitire the jersey not joining your rival

KeithLBC
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM

He was traded, but it was due to him demanding the trade. The bottom line was he was not going to be resigned at the amount that he wanted so he threw a tantrum like he always does when he leaves a city. Everyone vilifies Kobe for requesting a trade, but nodody remembers that Shaq demanded that he be traded.

S-Dot
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
He didn't "spit on the franchise". He and Kobe had a little bit of a public feud. What happened was Phil wasn't offered a new contract, something Shaq felt was Kobe's doing (and in hindsight, it probably was). Shaq wasn't informed about any of this, and found out the same way we all did: on TV. Shaq admittedly said that he felt betrayed, and did ask for a trade. He felt he wasn't getting enough say in organizational matters. This was the same time Kobe was flirting with the Clippers. Basically, the organization had to decide between the two. The organization decided to go with Kobe over Shaq...

Shaq was traded too. He didn't just "leave". Also, don't forget how Kobe slandered Shaq too. Remember? (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6134411/ns/bryant_sexual_assault_lawsuit/) It was a really tricky situation, and it had to be either Kobe or Shaq, and BOTH players made it that way.

:clap::clap::clap:

Shaq was forced out my opinion.

Celtic AL
08-10-2010, 12:08 PM
wow 6 people! either there blind or they just hate the guy!

mikealike305
08-10-2010, 12:09 PM
He was traded, but it was due to him demanding the trade. The bottom line was he was not going to be resigned at the amount that he wanted so he threw a tantrum like he always does when he leaves a city. Everyone vilifies Kobe for requesting a trade, but nodody remembers that Shaq demanded that he be traded.

shaq and kobe could no longer exist in L.A... thats why he wanted out... he was basiclly forced out... L.A wanted him out more than he wanted out

netsgiantsyanks
08-10-2010, 12:09 PM
i remember i used to watch the lakers in my younger years, around 5-6 whenever they came on abc, tnt, or some other channel. shaq was a beast in those days, helped them out tremendously. so yeah, its a no-brainer, retire his jersey.

Avenged
08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
They should simply because of what he did for the Lakers organization but as a fan, I don't want it to happen.

still1ballin
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes, they will, but I have mixed feelings about it happening.

Khalifa21
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
If a player brings your franchise three titles you retire his number... Simple.

cabernetluver
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
A few observations

First, while Laker fans are split on this, non Laker fans firmly believe his number should be retired. It strikes me that this is more a recognition of his entire career as compared to his time with the Lakers. No one who thinks his number should not be retired is suggesting that he was not a Hall of Fame player, just, not that special quality that causes a city to universally want his number to be enshrined.

While he was technically traded, it was in fact a demand. It was either trade him or have him walk and get nothing. I bring this up just to counter the argument that he was traded, he didn't walk. What happened to Shaq in Los Angeles was that he was unable to recognize that his star had crested while Kobe's star was on the rise. In Los Angeles, we had seen this exact scene happen before where the star on the downside of his career (in this case Kareem) embraced the star on the rise (Magic). It made for a great partnership.

Shaq was not as mature as Kareem, treated the owner badly, burnt his bridge. Frankly, I am not sure that Shaq, when he goes into the hall of fame, will think of himself as a Laker, or a Celtic, or any team as much as I think he will think of himself as a team unto himself.

Shaq was never as great as he thought was (the most dominant center of all time, that goes to Wilt, although he certainly had a period where he was the most dominant center of his own time), nor was he deserving of the derision that is heaped upon him by haters. He does, without doubt, burn bridges and make enemies. He also has a very publicly appealing persona. His career and the public appeal will be his legacy, the burning of bridges and childish behavior will stop his number from being retired by the Lakers, at least as long as a Buss is the owner.

JordansBulls
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Even with everything that has transpired since 2004, I still think the Lakers pretty much have to retire the number 34. He was the main reason for the three-peat and will certainly go into Hall-of-Fame as a Laker. What are your thoughts?

Can't see how you can't retire the jersey of a player who got a league mvp and 3 finals mvp's and a top 3-4 season all time for your franchise?

m26555
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Can't see how you can't retire the jersey of a player who got a league mvp and 3 finals mvp's and a top 3-4 season all time for your franchise?
As evidenced by this thread, there are people who think his number should not be retired.

Baller1
08-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Obviously.

mikealike305
08-10-2010, 12:33 PM
As evidenced by this thread, there are people who think his number should not be retired.

33-7.... not many people feel that way and the people that do dont have good argument as to why it shouldnt be

ManRam
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
While he was technically traded, it was in fact a demand. It was either trade him or have him walk and get nothing. I bring this up just to counter the argument that he was traded, he didn't walk. What happened to Shaq in Los Angeles was that he was unable to recognize that his star had crested while Kobe's star was on the rise. In Los Angeles, we had seen this exact scene happen before where the star on the downside of his career (in this case Kareem) embraced the star on the rise (Magic). It made for a great partnership.

Shaq was not as mature as Kareem, treated the owner badly, burnt his bridge. Frankly, I am not sure that Shaq, when he goes into the hall of fame, will think of himself as a Laker, or a Celtic, or any team as much as I think he will think of himself as a team unto himself.

Shaq was never as great as he thought was (the most dominant center of all time, that goes to Wilt, although he certainly had a period where he was the most dominant center of his own time), nor was he deserving of the derision that is heaped upon him by haters. He does, without doubt, burn bridges and make enemies. He also has a very publicly appealing persona. His career and the public appeal will be his legacy, the burning of bridges and childish behavior will stop his number from being retired by the Lakers, at least as long as a Buss is the owner.

I think the Lakers made the obvious decision between Shaq and Kobe (although Shaq was undoutedbly the #1 man on that team when they did win 3 in a row). However, you didn't say one thing about Kobe. Kobe was incredibly immature. He wasn't a guy his teammates loved to hang around. He wasn't friends with Shaq, and it was as much to do with Kobe as it was with Shaq. Shaq's jabs at Kobe were innocent jabs. He never said anything when Kobe was going through is legal problems. He could have reached out, but they weren't really great friends, and as the story goes, most of his teammates didn't reach out either. You mention Magic, but Magic wasn't like Kobe. Magic was different than Kobe. Kobe has matured incredibly since then, but he wasn't in any way a saint or completely innocent at the time. It was as much Kobe's fault that the tension existed as it was Shaq's. The franchise had to decide between the two, and they obviously made the right decision. Sure, he requested a trade, but I do sympathize with him.

You missed the part where he felt betrayed. The let Phil go. Phil was his man. Phil was not Kobe's man. That's a clear sign that the organization doesn't value you like the top 10 player of all time that he was...and a 3 time Finals MVP. They didn't ever consult or even inform him that it was happening! That's just mind-blowing to me. He felt betrayed, and frankly, who are we to sit here and critcize him for feeling like that. All the while, Kobe was flirting with leaving too.

It wasn't purely Shaq's fault. Anyone acting like it was is...well, wrong. Laker fans love Kobe, and see the situation as Shaq's fault. That's fine. But most outsiders say it differently, which is why I think the discrepancy exists.

Kevj77
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
It's not even a question. The Lakers are a class organization. Dr. Buss isn't going to go Dan Gilbert on Shaq and try to erase his memory as a Laker. He will retire Shaq's jersey for the 3-peat he was the main man on. Fans live in the moment, but Dr. Buss will remember that Shaq was the turning point for the Lakers after Magic got sick.

NBA-GMaster
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes!!..

Hellcrooner
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM

maybe yo dont remember that KOBE did make clear that if shaq WAS not taded he would sign wiht clippers?

as a matter of fact KObe didnt sign the extension untill the big dude was traded.

He was fearing if he signed Fo woudl talk to shaq ,reduce his anger and keep them both, and kobe wanted the big dude out.

ManRam
08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
maybe yo dont remember that KOBE did make clear that if shaq WAS not taded he would sign wiht clippers?

as a matter of fact KObe didnt sign the extension untill the big dude was traded.

He was fearing if he signed Fo woudl talk to shaq ,reduce his anger and keep them both, and kobe wanted the big dude out.

Yeah. To say that Shaq requesting a trade was immature and reason enough for Laker fans to still hate him to this day is a bit weird to me. Kobe made far more significant demands, demanding someone else be traded or he'd leave, and had Phil Jackson replaced.

Shaq isn't the clear villain here. They both are. But again, the Lakers made the RIGHT decision, and to hold grudges about any of this is just childish. I don't think they will either. Whoever mentioned Dan Gilbert and his immaturity- I agree. The Lakers are a class organization and can see things for what they are.

The Miami Cheat
08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
they should deff retire his jersey....he did so much for that team

NYtilIdie
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Without a doubt in my mind yes! Shaq was the most dominant Center in the league in his Laker days. He also got Kobe 3 rings.

still1ballin
08-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah. To say that Shaq requesting a trade was immature and reason enough for Laker fans to still hate him to this day is a bit weird to me. Kobe made far more significant demands, demanding someone else be traded or he'd leave, and had Phil Jackson replaced.

Shaq isn't the clear villain here. They both are. But again, the Lakers made the RIGHT decision, and to hold grudges about any of this is just childish. I don't think they will either. Whoever mentioned Dan Gilbert and his immaturity- I agree. The Lakers are a class organization and can see things for what they are.

I think Laker fans hold grudges just because what he did after he left. He bashed the Lakers so much once he went to the Heat, saying things like Pat Riley is the best coach he has ever played for ( disrespecting Phil ) and Wade is the best player on the planet ( disrespecting Kobe ) and not to mention that little rap he made about Kobe "how does my *** taste." He practically left every team with a bad note.

Cap'nCrunch40
08-10-2010, 01:03 PM
They Should Retire His Jersey. I Can See Number 34 In The Rafters Someday.

Niro
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
It's an absolute no-brainer: OF COURSE.

He LED them to 3 championships. End of story.

this

still1ballin
08-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Without a doubt in my mind yes! Shaq was the most dominant Center in the league in his Laker days. He also got Kobe 3 rings.

I hate when people throw that out there. No doubt he was the main reason Lakers won those championships but Kobe had a huge factor as well. Shaq would of not been able to win it without Kobe, and Kobe would of not been able to win it without Shaq and both of them would of not been able to win it without Horry, Fox, Harper, Fisher ect. Its a team game. They won as a team.

So many times in playoff games where Shaq had fouled out or they had to take him out of the game because of his bad free throw shooting where the Lakers had to turn to Kobe to finish off the game in which he did.

Hellcrooner
08-10-2010, 01:07 PM

It a pity Buss didnt hear Jackson who wanted BOTH traded after2002 season.

They would have ogotten two very good deals and stack up like hell,

BOSTON617
08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
what? are u serious? of course they are going to... he was huge for the lakers and the city of L.A... no question they will retire 34

lol i never said he wasnt a big part of laker history..... but he was a postitive and negative impact... i think if he retires and becomes an impact to the laker organization it would be a deffinate but right now it isnt.... because it isnt he isnt gaurenteed to get his jersey retired.... never said he would or wouldnt lol

i mean we can say the same thing about iverson to is he going to get his jeresey rertired who knows??

cabernetluver
08-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I think the Lakers made the obvious decision between Shaq and Kobe (although Shaq was undoutedbly the #1 man on that team when they did win 3 in a row). However, you didn't say one thing about Kobe. Kobe was incredibly immature. He wasn't a guy his teammates loved to hang around. He wasn't friends with Shaq, and it was as much to do with Kobe as it was with Shaq. Shaq's jabs at Kobe were innocent jabs. He never said anything when Kobe was going through is legal problems. He could have reached out, but they weren't really great friends, and as the story goes, most of his teammates didn't reach out either. You mention Magic, but Magic wasn't like Kobe. Magic was different than Kobe. Kobe has matured incredibly since then, but he wasn't in any way a saint or completely innocent at the time. It was as much Kobe's fault that the tension existed as it was Shaq's. The franchise had to decide between the two, and they obviously made the right decision. Sure, he requested a trade, but I do sympathize with him.

You missed the part where he felt betrayed. The let Phil go. Phil was his man. Phil was not Kobe's man. That's a clear sign that the organization doesn't value you like the top 10 player of all time that he was...and a 3 time Finals MVP. They didn't ever consult or even inform him that it was happening! That's just mind-blowing to me. He felt betrayed, and frankly, who are we to sit here and critcize him for feeling like that. All the while, Kobe was flirting with leaving too.

It wasn't purely Shaq's fault. Anyone acting like it was is...well, wrong. Laker fans love Kobe, and see the situation as Shaq's fault. That's fine. But most outsiders say it differently, which is why I think the discrepancy exists.
First, about the lack of mention of Kobe, that is a complex question at best, but more importantly to this thread, the retirement of Shaq's number, to me, is not based upon Kobe, one way, or the other. It is entirely based on Shaq.

Second, Shaq is not a top 10 player of all time. He is not even a top even a top three center of all time (Wilt, Bill Russel, Kareem) although I would put him in the top 5. He was the most dominant center for about an 8-10 year period and as such, his bona fides are clear for the Hall of Fame. Don't put me in a hater club (and for the record, you never said I was) but I saw my first Laker game in 1960 and have seen all of the players (in person) of whom I write.

Third, it was up to Shaq to be the adult in the Shaq/Kobe saga just as Kareem was with Magic. More importantly, if retiring a number was important to Shaq, he never should have bad mouthed Dr. Buss. You don't bad mouth the owner of the team that you want your number retired. Again, it showed the immaturity that has plagued Shaq. In fact, behind the scenes, he was not as beloved as he was in front of the camera.

Finally, while I agree with you that Kobe and Magic are completely different men, as are we all, this thread is not about Kobe. It is about Shaq. And as such, I am not completely sure that Shaq thinks of himself as a Laker, the way that all of the men, whose Laker numbers have been retired, think or thought of themselves as Lakers. Jerry West, Elgin, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, and all of the rest were Lakers.

Once again, I emphasize this is in no was a lessening of Shaq's talent, or place in the Hall of Fame, it is just a reflection on him as a Laker.

BOSTON617
08-10-2010, 01:29 PM

i knew shaq was traded but he was traded because he became a pain in the *** to the organization.... i love shaq one of my favorite players but he wasnt 100% right in that situation....

quick ? if lebron won 5 rings in miami where would his jeresy be retired?

what if shaq wins his next 2 in boston and he is a big impact?

i mean you act like its an officla thing that is going to happen i personally feel he hurt that organization that they will not hang his jeresey but he is def a hofer in a laker jeresy

da wood
08-10-2010, 01:32 PM
A few observations

First, while Laker fans are split on this, non Laker fans firmly believe his number should be retired. It strikes me that this is more a recognition of his entire career as compared to his time with the Lakers. No one who thinks his number should not be retired is suggesting that he was not a Hall of Fame player, just, not that special quality that causes a city to universally want his number to be enshrined.

What this guys said just like this. I ask all of you this question do you disrespect your boss, sign with your arch enemy and then turn around and ask him to name a wing of the company after you....hell no. Do you and as a laker get to steppin. Yall act like this cat won the only three championships the organization have. NOT.

RaiderLakersA's
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Not while Shaq is alive. There should be a price to pay for having pissed on the organization.

And I don't care what anyone says, Shaq isn't the ONLY reason why the Lakers won 3 titles during his tenure. I've not checked and recent stats, but does Shaq own any Lakers records???????

da wood
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
i dont even know why it have a section for non laker fans on this.....hell yall not the one that have to go to a laker game and see his number hanging up there. Besides other teams pretty much have a diff criteria when it comes to getting your number up there with the lakers.

nuggetsyankees
08-10-2010, 01:41 PM
if he handled his departure better than no doubt but he rubbed that organization the wrong way

cabernetluver
08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
One last note, of the Los Angeles Lakers, there are only 7 (8 if you include Chick Hearn who had no number) numbers that have been retired. It has as compared to the 22 that the Celtics have retired. I am in no way saying what is the right or wrong way to do it, just that there is a different criteria for different teams. Please keep that in mind when non Laker fans think about it.

J-Relo
08-10-2010, 01:46 PM

thumbs up ;)

RaiderLakersA's
08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
What this guys said just like this. I ask all of you this question do you disrespect your boss, sign with your arch enemy and then turn around and ask him to name a wing of the company after you....hell no. Do you and as a laker get to steppin. Yall act like this cat won the only three championships the organization have. NOT.

Agree. If Shaq owned every Laker record, or brought us the most championship banners, or kept his peace with the Lakers owner and organizatoin after he left, maybe, MAYBE, he would have his jersey retired in the next few years. But no. Not right now.

prash
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again.. Which Kobe jersey gets retired? 24 or 8?

still1ballin
08-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again.. Which Kobe jersey gets retired? 24 or 8?

Who knows. I would say both because with #8 he won 3 championships and with #24 he has won 2 championships and maybe more.

drama1386
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
shaq is one of the greatest players of all time & led the lakers to a 3-peat. yes they should.

ManRam
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
First, about the lack of mention of Kobe, that is a complex question at best, but more importantly to this thread, the retirement of Shaq's number, to me, is not based upon Kobe, one way, or the other. It is entirely based on Shaq.

Second, Shaq is not a top 10 player of all time. He is not even a top even a top three center of all time (Wilt, Bill Russel, Kareem) although I would put him in the top 5. He was the most dominant center for about an 8-10 year period and as such, his bona fides are clear for the Hall of Fame. Don't put me in a hater club (and for the record, you never said I was) but I saw my first Laker game in 1960 and have seen all of the players (in person) of whom I write.

Third, it was up to Shaq to be the adult in the Shaq/Kobe saga just as Kareem was with Magic. More importantly, if retiring a number was important to Shaq, he never should have bad mouthed Dr. Buss. You don't bad mouth the owner of the team that you want your number retired. Again, it showed the immaturity that has plagued Shaq. In fact, behind the scenes, he was not as beloved as he was in front of the camera.

Finally, while I agree with you that Kobe and Magic are completely different men, as are we all, this thread is not about Kobe. It is about Shaq. And as such, I am not completely sure that Shaq thinks of himself as a Laker, the way that all of the men, whose Laker numbers have been retired, think or thought of themselves as Lakers. Jerry West, Elgin, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, and all of the rest were Lakers.

Once again, I emphasize this is in no was a lessening of Shaq's talent, or place in the Hall of Fame, it is just a reflection on him as a Laker.

Kobe is important because if you are going to talk about Shaq's behavior it's important to explore the reasons. Kobe was a huge part of the reason Shaq got upset with the franchise, and again, I sympathize with it. Sure, he's immature and loves to be the man, but Kobe was no saint, and DID cause a ton of organizational problems that bothered Shaq. His inclusion into this is necessary. To write Shaq off as the villain, and the only reason he left on bad terms, is absolutely hilarious. Kobe is as big of a reason as anything.

Shaq is a top 10 player ever...but that's neither here not there. He'd dominate any other center that played.

It's about Kobe because Kobe is THE reason Shaq isn't there today, he's THE reason Phil didn't get extended, and he's THE reason Laker fans turned on Shaq too.

i knew shaq was traded but he was traded because he became a pain in the *** to the organization.... i love shaq one of my favorite players but he wasnt 100% right in that situation....

quick ? if lebron won 5 rings in miami where would his jeresy be retired?

what if shaq wins his next 2 in boston and he is a big impact?

i mean you act like its an officla thing that is going to happen i personally feel he hurt that organization that they will not hang his jeresey but he is def a hofer in a laker jeresy

If LeBron wins 5 rings in Miami, he will get his jersey retired there. I firmly believe it should be retired in Cleveland too, but their fans and organization are far too (unreasonably) bitter.

How did he disrespect his boss? How did he sign with their arch enemy?

Kobe was about to leave for the Clippers of all times if he didn't get his way. That's pretty childish too. If we're going to call Shaq immature and childish, we need to explore the whole situation.

In summation, if Lakers are not going to retire his jersey because of a few bad words here and there, and a feud with Kobe...then that is incredibly unprofessional. What he did on the court is all that matters.

Kevj77
08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
ManRam it's fairly common knowledge that Shaq did disrespect Dr. Buss his last year in LA with his public demands for a new contract. Telling Buss to his face in front of cameras Pay Me.

That's disrepectful. I don't think Dr. Buss will ever forget that or how Shaq blasted the Lakers after leaving, but he will do the classy thing and hang Shaq's number up with the other Laker greats.

ManRam
08-10-2010, 03:19 PM
ManRam it's fairly common knowledge that Shaq did disrespect Dr. Buss his last year in LA with his public demands for a new contract. Telling Buss to his face in front of cameras Pay Me.

That's disrepectful. I don't think Dr. Buss will ever forget that or how Shaq blasted the Lakers after leaving, but he will do the classy thing and hang Shaq's number up with the other Laker greats.

And it's not disrespectful that Buss fired Phil, without even mentioning it to Shaq, let alone asking for his advice or telling him after the fact? Shaq was blindsided by that. I'd be incredibly pissed too.

Kobe was also disrespectful. EVERYONE WAS.

Even Phil got disrespectful and immature about it too with his book.

If Buss can't forgive Shaq, then he drops down a notch in my book.

My only point is, pinning everything on Shaq for this situation is really off-base. It was an incredibly complicated situation that built up over years that many, many, many people were at fault for. Shaq isn't the scapegoat here.

If the Lakers didn't have success after he left, they'd be singing a different tune. It wouldn't be 9-9 right now, it would be much closer to what the non-fans are voting.

If the situation ended with Kobe playing for the other LA team and Shaq staying, I think Kobe would be the clear, 100% villain here...and I'd be defending him too. Everyone is to blame. Kobe wanted Shaq out, Kobe wanted Phil out, Shaq probably wanted Kobe out, Shaq wanted to be the focal point, and Buss had to make a decision.

KNIXX46
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Shaqq Not only put in work for the lakers, he was beastin. 3 peat statuss. Hell yea they should hang his jersey up there.

Kevj77
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree there was plenty of blame to go around. It turned out to be the right decision the Lakers just went back to back hard to argue with the results.

It's about Kobe because Kobe is THE reason Shaq isn't there today, he's THE reason Phil didn't get extended, and he's THE reason Laker fans turned on Shaq too.It's statements like this that are so wrong, putting it all on Kobe. It's just something people that don't like Kobe have to use against him. Shaq was just as immature. Kobe had the better work ethic and was younger it was obvious who to choose.

Kobe said he never demanded Shaq be moved and that Dr. Buss told him he wasn't going to pay Shaq 30 million a year he wanted halfway through their last season together. Dr. Buss thought Shaq was going to start declining. He was right Shaq went downhill fast after he left LA. Shaq did it to himself not showing up to camp in shape several seasons in a row. Getting surgery right before training camp instead of during the offseason because he didn't want to get it on "his time". Publicly demanding a new contract from the owner with 2 years still on his contract when he can't even show up in shape couldn't have sit well with Dr. Buss and if you lose respect for him because of that I don't know what to say.

By the way Shaq said he believed Kobe 1000%

"I believe Kobe 100 percent," said O'Neal, reached yesterday while in Los Angeles on business. "Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind Kobe is telling the truth. I believe him a thousand percent. I would have respected Dr. Buss more as a man if he would have told me that himself, because I know he said it. But he didn't [tell me]. He never said a damn word to me."

http://laist.com/2007/05/30/buss_busted_bry.php

L.A. Loungin
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
HOW DID SHAQ DISRESPECT THE LAKERS?
WOW, see real LAkers fans need to be on here to help those with faulty memories. So many people get amnesia so quickly nowadays, I remember exactly how Shaq left the org. NOw im going to keep it strictly basketball and no go far into that soap opera mess so many of us get caught up in .
If you remember he first began voicing has demands regarding a contract extension claiming that he will not be dis-valued and wanted 25 mil per year. this is after Dr. Buss offer him an extension worth 22.5 mil a year. He was already the highest paid player in the league. But im not mad at him for tryin to get his money. Where he went wrong was HE turned the fued between KObe and him into a Me or him thing. SHAQ was REALLY IMMATURE in this fued because he was the NBA Vet. I'm tired of everyone just giving him a passs on this becasue he tells a few jokes and makes a few impressions. He was the one that was suppose to be the bigger one and squash it. Magic evening got involved to help calm things. And everyone keeps talk about KOBE for what, cuzz he wanted a center that worked as hard as him in the gym and not be a fat *** that couldnt shoot free throws? oh yeah that s asking way too much from a player who calls HIMSELF the most dominate.

DISRESPECT- PLus, during a preseason game in the beginning of his last season he yelled his demands towards the owners box. After slamming down a monster dunk he screamed to the OWNER OF A STORIED FRANCHISE, "PAY ME MY Mutha-f***ING MONEY" Now you do that at your job and unless you ARE the boss or related to him, lets see how long you last. Shaq was still an employee of a billionaire owner, who i believe didnt take to kindly to those comment
Shaq trashes every city he leaves, hes washed up, and begging NOW for someone to retire his jersey. Just because he says a few nice things about Kobe years after the fact when its obvious he's the best player in the league on a BACK-TO-BACK championship team. After his L.A. exit, SHAQ has said a lot of out-of-pocket things about the organization, the city, the owner, and of course Kobe. Hes reaching for another ring and its so obvious hes a rING-WHOre now.
Everyone on here thinks its automatic the Lakere wiil retire his jersey. Really?
How so? I believe its up to the organization. And if im not mistaken SHaq didnt bring championships to L.A. He didnt start winning till phil jackson was hired. and KObe was just aprt of those runs as Shaq. Now again im not de-valuing his impact he was a force, he will most cerainly be a HOF, but now hes reaching for an organization to embrace him.
He probably has a better chance when Dr. Buss passes away. Even then i think he goes inthe HAll of Fame as a Magic.

LAKERS! 16 rings and counting....... BE MAD ABOUT THAT !

kEviN21
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
It's a no brainer everyone says but LA might not even do it

smith&wesson
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I respect shaqs game, i think he was the most dominant player to ever play in the nba when he was in his prime.

that being said, i dont think ring chasers deserve to have theyre numbers retired anywhere.

da wood
08-10-2010, 04:21 PM
HOW DID SHAQ DISRESPECT THE LAKERS?
WOW, see real LAkers fans need to be on here to help those with faulty memories. So many people get amnesia so quickly nowadays, I remember exactly how Shaq left the org. NOw im going to keep it strictly basketball and no go far into that soap opera mess so many of us get caught up in .
If you remember he first began voicing has demands regarding a contract extension claiming that he will not be dis-valued and wanted 25 mil per year. this is after Dr. Buss offer him an extension worth 22.5 mil a year. He was already the highest paid player in the league. But im not mad at him for tryin to get his money. Where he went wrong was HE turned the fued between KObe and him into a Me or him thing. SHAQ was REALLY IMMATURE in this fued because he was the NBA Vet. I'm tired of everyone just giving him a passs on this becasue he tells a few jokes and makes a few impressions. He was the one that was suppose to be the bigger one and squash it. Magic evening got involved to help calm things. And everyone keeps talk about KOBE for what, cuzz he wanted a center that worked as hard as him in the gym and not be a fat *** that couldnt shoot free throws? oh yeah that s asking way too much from a player who calls HIMSELF the most dominate.

DISRESPECT- PLus, during a preseason game in the beginning of his last season he yelled his demands towards the owners box. After slamming down a monster dunk he screamed to the OWNER OF A STORIED FRANCHISE, "PAY ME MY Mutha-f***ING MONEY" Now you do that at your job and unless you ARE the boss or related to him, lets see how long you last. Shaq was still an employee of a billionaire owner, who i believe didnt take to kindly to those comment
Shaq trashes every city he leaves, hes washed up, and begging NOW for someone to retire his jersey. Just because he says a few nice things about Kobe years after the fact when its obvious he's the best player in the league on a BACK-TO-BACK championship team. After his L.A. exit, SHAQ has said a lot of out-of-pocket things about the organization, the city, the owner, and of course Kobe. Hes reaching for another ring and its so obvious hes a rING-WHOre now.
Everyone on here thinks its automatic the Lakere wiil retire his jersey. Really?
How so? I believe its up to the organization. And if im not mistaken SHaq didnt bring championships to L.A. He didnt start winning till phil jackson was hired. and KObe was just aprt of those runs as Shaq. Now again im not de-valuing his impact he was a force, he will most cerainly be a HOF, but now hes reaching for an organization to embrace him.
He probably has a better chance when Dr. Buss passes away. Even then i think he goes inthe HAll of Fame as a Magic.

LAKERS! 16 rings and counting....... BE MAD ABOUT THAT !

bam my man said it best i was just about to post this but am i glad i kept readinging all the comments because i couldn't have said it better myself......i remember that to because i was like why in the hell is he yelling that **** like that when we already in the public eye we dont need that and sure enough mr buss felt the same way. you ask again how was he disrespectful.......and you wonder why i made the comment about why you have a box for non laker fans.

IversonIsKrazy
08-10-2010, 05:24 PM
U mean that guy who led them to a 3peat with getting all the finals MVP during. Yea sure why not...

jmtapia
08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
no brainer...YES!

Avenged
08-10-2010, 06:22 PM
This really shouldn't be argued.

Laker fans are a bit edgy simply because of the way he left and the words he said after. He was also in a "feud" with Kobe, whom we all know is greatly respected by Laker fans.

Shaq joining Boston is icing on the cake for some L.A fans, but again, Shaq does deserve it and he most likely will get his number retired once the dust settles.

MackSnackWrap
08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Damn Skippy!!

numba1CHANGsta
08-10-2010, 06:48 PM
wow im suprised that the actual Laker fans are split about this...you guys need to stop hating just cuz he didnt comeback to the Lakers, he spent 8 years here and help led the team to 4 Finals, 3 Championships, 3 Finals MVP, and 1 MVP! He WILL retire a Laker!

Gators123
08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
only 50% of Laker fans think it should be retired? wow

hyb152
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Well, in your picture of the 4th ring, Shaq was responsible for 3 of those. Without shaq, Kobe would be only half of what he is today. Kobe might not even be on the lakers anymore if he didn't win in the early 2000's while being a sidekick to shaq.

Of course LA should retire shaq's jersey. Because of shaq, kobe is what he is today, and that's over-credited by laker fans for "winning rings" thanks to shaq. Kobe will always be shaq's robin in the early 2000's. Laker fans need to be grateful that shaq won the 3 finals mvp's, not kobe. No Shaq, no rings for kobe. Not saying kobe isn't great, but laker fans think Kobe is Jordan because he has 5 rings, but in reality, shaq was the #1 option and got kobe 3 of those rings. You can disagree if u want laker fans, but i'll just respond with the fact that Fisher won 5 rings so he's comparable to Jordan, right?

serrano275
08-10-2010, 07:36 PM
If he did what he did on any other team but the Lakers or the Celtics, His number would be retired.

If he stayed din Orlando he would be the Magics GOAT.

But he went to LA where the Laker legends are. Sorry, He's all hall of famer no doubt for being one of the greatest centers of all times, if he stayed in LA then I wouldn't doubt it. If he had an career ending injury his last year then I woldn't doubt it. But he is a guy who had 6 teams under his belt.

If Kobe would of got the trade he demanded a while ago then his Jersey would not be going up there either.

hyb152
08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
If he did what he did on any other team but the Lakers or the Celtics, His number would be retired.

If he stayed din Orlando he would be the Magics GOAT.

But he went to LA where the Laker legends are. Sorry, He's all hall of famer no doubt for being one of the greatest centers of all times, if he stayed in LA then I wouldn't doubt it. If he had an career ending injury his last year then I woldn't doubt it. But he is a guy who had 6 teams under his belt.

If Kobe would of got the trade he demanded a while ago then his Jersey would not be going up there either.

But the thing is, what shaq did was more than just win 3 rings for LA. He played a big role into making kobe what he is today. Even though shaq and the lakers didnt end on good terms, shaq basically IS half of Kobe's legacy. Kobe's first 3 rings.

MJ-BULLS
08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
He will go down as a laker when its all said and done.

no brainer, so yes.

_KB24_
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Shaq is the only guy who gets a free pass for his antics. All of us in LA still love the big fella in our hearts, he was the king of Cali a decade ago.

Jahari Kavi
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
no brainer...............yes they should...if you think otherwise then you are a hater who needs to have their head examined....any player who leads his franchise to 3 straight titles needs to have their number in the rafters....... #CloseThread.

LA_Raiders
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
No

rabzouz 96
08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
how is this even a question...

FlashMacker
08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
3 Finals mvp's = hell yea

This :D

AI4MVP
08-11-2010, 12:09 AM
the OP is ****ing crazy for even asking such a stupid question. Shaquille Oneal deserves to have his number retired just as much as any other Laker in Lakers history

serrano275
08-11-2010, 12:40 AM
I guess IMO having year jersey retired is greater then the HOF because the HOF is a story about those who need to be recognized in a sport, where as a jersey retirement meant the forever in the history of that team and maybe that sport, you will be apart of a legendary team built in the history for your orginization. hundreds of thousands of players can be recognized in the HOF but how many jerseys can really be retired.

I feel you gotta stay with a team forever pretty much. I see shaq more as a hired gun. a merc in the NBA. I think that is what's blinding me and not letting me see why he deserves a retired jersey.

And it sucks cause you gotta compare him to Kobe Bryants, Magic Johnsons, Hakeem Abdul-Jabbers, David Wests, and any other big name Laker that has gone thru that city.

topdog
08-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't like Shaq, but you can't argue with results. Unlike Lebron, his dominance came with rings.

The only "no"s are coming from LA fans because it's personal. 'Nuf said.

ManningToTyree
08-11-2010, 12:57 AM
without a doubt

Enemey
08-11-2010, 02:32 AM
I don't think his jersey should get retired but only his number with MPLS LAKERS banner lmao.

I think Dr.Buss will wait till Shaq becomes a HoF because the way he dissed him.

For anyone who is blaming the feud all on Kobe needs to look at Shaq's history with his Former teammates such as Penny, Steve Nash, and even Dwayne Wade notice how he leaves organization on bad notes? Shaq plays the Media well.