PDA

View Full Version : Shaquille O誰eal said he plans to retire with Celtics

JordansBulls
08-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Link (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2010/08/09/shaquille-oneal-plans-to-retire-with-celtics/)

Shaquille O誰eal said he has no plans to be a 40-year-old plus professional athlete. O誰eal confirmed to the Orlando Sentinel he would retire with the Boston Celtics.

The Celtics are the sixth franchise Shaq has competed for during his 18-year NBA career. O誰eal, who is currently the oldest active player, signed a two-year contract with Boston worth an estimated $3 million according to ESPN.

釘rett Favre only plays 12 games, O誰eal joked when asked if he wanted to extend his playing day past his 40s like Favre.

O誰eal averaged 11 ppg and 4.0 rpg last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers and is expected to come off the bench for the first time in his future Hall of Fame career.

的知 not coming in to take over, O誰eal said after an Orlando charity basketball game. 鄭t this point in my career I知 just a role player and I値l do whatever it takes [to win].

An interesting side note: O誰eal痴 mother Lucille has been long-time friends and business associates with Flo Allen-Hopson, mother of Ray Allen. O誰eal and Allen, who both are Orlando residents, are leaders in the Mothers of Professional Basketball Players Association. The MPBP held its annual conference in Florida this year. Check back on Sentinel Sports Now for the full video wrap-up of the event.

Chacarron
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Finally.

blazerman
08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
He'll be remembered as a Laker not a washed up ol' has been Celtic. (no offense Celtics fans, I just dont care for Shaq).

td0tsfinest
08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Even though I think he should've called it quits a long time ago, it'll be sad to see the guy go. One of the greatest players to play the game.

HowFit
08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
^def will miss the old Shaq...besides his ego

mzee24
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
dang its sad to see such a great players career finally coming to an end. I still remember the days when i was 4'6 and like 9 years old and goin to the driveway and pretend to be shaq and dominate. As much as i hate the celtics i wouldnt be so upset to see Shaq get one more ring to end his career on a good note.

Khalifa21
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
It will be a sad day when the big fella retires.

Him and Timmy are the two players I think people take for granted in this league. When they both retire people will realize the incredible impact they both had on the league.

still1ballin
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I think he will sign a one day contract and retire with the Lakers, kinda what Malone did when he retired.

Afro
08-10-2010, 03:26 AM
As long as Burger King releases another Shaq Pack then idc who he retires with. I'M TALKIN BOUT THE SHAQ PACK!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXweq5wKOd8&feature=related)

Hellcrooner
08-10-2010, 03:42 AM
yeah , he said he was retiring in two years, .........two eyars ago.

Hellcrooner
08-10-2010, 03:44 AM
He'll be remembered as a Laker not a washed up ol' has been Celtic. (no offense Celtics fans, I just dont care for Shaq).

you sure?

most people ememebr the washed up suddenly great from the bench and winnign a ring Bill Walton the CELTIC:

SMH!
08-10-2010, 04:05 AM

Watch jimmy kimmel before he got signed he said he was on his 730 day diet. As for this forum, we do take players for granted, I'm gonna miss the big fella, but he shouldnt be gone for long, im sure the TNT crew could use him.:)

S-Dot
08-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I never would have thought Shaq would play 20 seasons in the NBA, nor would I think he would be on 6 teams.

knicksfan23
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
As long as Burger King releases another Shaq Pack then idc who he retires with. I'M TALKIN BOUT THE SHAQ PACK!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXweq5wKOd8&feature=related)

cheddar chesse dipping sauce OMG BRING THAT BACK PLEASE that looked sooo good

97NYer
08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I really wish he hadn't played for so many teams. If it ended with the Heat it would look much better for him.

BOSTON617
08-10-2010, 09:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXweq5wKOd8 :clap:

Chronz
08-10-2010, 12:08 PM
BS I specifically recall him saying 4 years two years ago. Hes had his eyes set on 40 for a long time

Unruly Fan
08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm surprised he stayed in the league for as long as he did (being as big as he is).

J4KOP99
08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Shaq "The Circus Act" O'Neal.

The exploitation of Celtics fans is wonderful.

First you chant MVP for Kobe Bryant a few years ago. Now you accept Ex-Lakers Great, Shaquille O'neal onto your roster. What is your fanbase coming to?

--Forget how he left the Lakers. He was the heart and soul of the organization while he was there and although he, by no means, won 3 titles "for" kobe bryant, he was equally as important in the 3-peat. This would be comparable to Paul Pierce leaving the Celtics for a few years and then the Lakers picking him up later on. Sounds ridiculous, right?

THE MTL
08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
I figured he would go up until 40. Only thing is that I wish he wasnt on so many teams...

THE MTL
08-10-2010, 01:53 PM

First you chant MVP for Kobe Bryant a few years ago. Now you accept Ex-Lakers Great, Shaquille O'neal onto your roster. What is your fanbase coming to?

--Forget how he left the Lakers. He was the heart and soul of the organization while he was there and although he, by no means, won 3 titles "for" kobe bryant, he was equally as important in the 3-peat. This would be comparable to Paul Pierce leaving the Celtics for a few years and then the Lakers picking him up later on. Sounds ridiculous, right?

Not really. Boston and LAL had no rivalry back when Shaq was on the team. Also, Shaq became a team-hopper after he left LAL joining...4 more teams. Paul Pierce isnt a team-hopper and was apart of the Boston-LAL rivalry; thus making it TOTALLY different.

mikantsass
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
you sure?

most people ememebr the washed up suddenly great from the bench and winnign a ring Bill Walton the CELTIC:

Real basketball fans remember Walton as a UCLA Bruin 1st, Blazer 2nd, Celtic 3rd...

I agree though, Shaq should retire a Laker

J4KOP99
08-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Not really. Boston and LAL had no rivalry back when Shaq was on the team. Also, Shaq became a team-hopper after he left LAL joining...4 more teams. Paul Pierce isnt a team-hopper and was apart of the Boston-LAL rivalry; thus making it TOTALLY different.

They had no rivalry back then? What are you talking about. Boston vs. LA is always a rivalry. Just like Yankees- Red Sox is always a rivalry even though the Red Sox didn't win for 86 years.

Obviously PP isn't a team-hopper, I never said he was. What I actually said, was imagine if he left the Celtics for a few years and then the Lakers picked him up.

Just because the Lakers and Celtics never played in the finals while Shaq was on the team does not mean he was not in the rivalry. Every Lakers-Celtics game is nationally televised, no matter how good the teams are... and they do that for a reason.

Argue the Celtics side all you want on this, but chanting MVP for Kobe and now accepting Shaq on their team stand out for me as ridiculous things to do as "fans."

mikantsass
08-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Coming from a Laker, Duke, and Yankee fan hahahaha

Jays Claw
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
釘rett Favre only plays 12 games, O誰eal joked when asked if he wanted to extend his playing days past his 40's like Favre.

Even though Brett Favre supposedly plays twelve games, football is a much more physical and derailing sport than basketball.

Raidaz4Life
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM

LMAO that was one of my favorite commercials growing up.

Baller1
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
He'll leave the Celtics after this season if they don't win.

J4KOP99
08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Coming from a Laker, Duke, and Yankee fan hahahaha

Don't look at me, look at yourself. I've never cheered for a Celtics player, let alone chanted MVP for him in my own stadium.

I've never chanted MVP for Manny or Ortiz at Yankee stadium.

You can call me out all you want but take a little time and think about what I'm saying. When you're only response is that I am a Lakers, Duke and Yankees fan, we may have some trouble on our hands. Not to be forgotten is that I have explained why I like the teams I do, and if you are really that interested, check some old posts.

Me liking those 3 teams doesn't take away the fact that the TD Banknorth Center in Boston chanted M-V-P for one, Kobe Bryant at the end of a game when the Celtics got blown out by the Lakers.

Me liking those 3 teams doesn't take away the fact that one of the greatest Lakers of all-time, a 3 time champion, and former number 1 guy on the team has now signed with their biggest rival, the Boston Celtics. And you guys are accepting him... sad, sad days are happening in Boston.