PDA

View Full Version : Forsberg Returning? Rangers???

Foge7
08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/08/09/forsberg_comeback/

If he can stay healthy he could be a nice veteran leader for our young guys, maybe even provide some scoring spark, question is how much would he want?

Link to his stats, including his most recent time spent with MODO. It's amazing what he can do if healthy, is he worth the risk for the right price?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1742

mmmrevolver93
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/08/09/forsberg_comeback/

If he can stay healthy he could be a nice veteran leader for our young guys, maybe even provide some scoring spark, question is how much would he want?

Link to his stats, including his most recent time spent with MODO. It's amazing what he can do if healthy, is he worth the risk for the right price?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1742

I would give him the same contract frolov got. we have to move a contract first tho.

letsgorangers27
08-09-2010, 05:56 PM
idk how everyone thinks the kids are going to get a shot when we keep bringing in these end of the line old guys who cost to much $$$$$$$ we need to rebuild we're not going anywhere if we keep doing this process of expensive free agents and guess what we'll likely keep getting bounced in round 1/not making it at all.

bsi
08-09-2010, 07:03 PM
This is rediculous, first of all he can't play a full NHL season, the last time he made it over 70 games was 2002-2003. He's worn out beyond belief, he has nothing left to give the NHL. He played 3 games in 08-09 and 23 last year. What could he possibly offer our team besides a piece of our salary cap? Sure he'll be great when he plays his 15 games, but that's all you're getting with him. We've gone this route too many times before.

liltedspop
08-09-2010, 07:08 PM
i would bring him in much like we did Petr Nedved a couple of seasons ago. But hats about all I would go for him the guy is to oft injured to be any type of reliable player imo & all he would do is take a spot from a kid who will be a part of the future.

Lakrisal
08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
No sorry, he's not going to be healthy... like I said in another thread: he played 23 out of 55 games in the SEL which is noway near the NHL in terms of speed or physical play

liltedspop
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
he did put up nice numbers for Modo however but im with u not overly interested.

runnermjr1296
08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
no way,, I don't care where he played last year it's not the NHL! and we're gonna tie up a roster spot with a guy that is always getting hurt? Ask a YANKEE fan how the nick johnson signing is working out!

Foge7
08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Good points everybody, just wanted to bring it up for discussion, found the write-up interesting in that the Rangers were mentioned. Like most of you, i'm not to interested in bringing him in unless we can get him at a great price which is unlikely and even then, you have to keep a constant backup for him because sooner or later he's going to get hurt. He'd be someone I might look to sign towards the later part of a season, for the playoff run/playoffs because he'll likely only make it 8-10 games before getting hurt, put up a point a game or so, so best bet is to have him play him in games that really matter haha. But yeah, overall, I wouldn't sign him unless it's a one year deal for very little money!

bsi
08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Good points everybody, just wanted to bring it up for discussion, found the write-up interesting in that the Rangers were mentioned. Like most of you, i'm not to interested in bringing him in unless we can get him at a great price which is unlikely and even then, you have to keep a constant backup for him because sooner or later he's going to get hurt. He'd be someone I might look to sign towards the later part of a season, for the playoff run/playoffs because he'll likely only make it 8-10 games before getting hurt, put up a point a game or so, so best bet is to have him play him in games that really matter haha. But yeah, overall, I wouldn't sign him unless it's a one year deal for very little money!

If he wants a two way contract sure, however I'm not buying the idea that he's gonna play 82+ games this year....not buying it at all!

Foge7
08-09-2010, 08:32 PM
If he wants a two way contract sure, however I'm not buying the idea that he's gonna play 82+ games this year....not buying it at all!

25-30+ if were lucky. In the end, he's probably going to be like brashear was last season, only when he does play he'd produce unlike brashear did.

fingerbang
08-10-2010, 12:58 AM
A forsberg signing would be a huge mistake considering his age and injury history. Having said that he will most likely be a ranger next season.

Rangers in 7
08-10-2010, 01:45 AM
i have no problem with a deal for a 1 mil.....nothing to lose

Don of NY23
08-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Too old ; do not want.....if there was some sort of out clause where we could cut him penalty free I would do it but that would never fly.

Ballistik
08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
A deal for 1 mil would be worth a chance. Even if we can get 60-65 games out of him ( i know wishfull thinking prob), it would be worth it

mlisica19
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Im pretty sure forsberg understands hes not getting a huge contract. He probably wont get anything more than 2 million a year.... For 2 million i would def sign him

ernie.tarducci
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
oing to be healthy... like I said in another thread: he played 23 out of 55 games in the SEL which is noway near the NHL in terms of speed or physical play[/QUOTE] first of all guys, lets asume for a moment that he does return ands ends up playing with the rangers, lets also asume the team doctors are satisfied he can still play meaningfull games, he is peter forseberg! lets not just look at what he does just stat wise he makes other players around him better! lets face it what else has this team done this offseason to assure the season wont end again this april! i am sick and tired of watching this bloated team fail some times you have to take a chance and yes stat wise he is over a point per game player and remember when super mario came out of retirement half way through the season he had something like 35 goals! i would sign him in a second 1yr incentive laden contract for penuts 2. 2.5 mil to start

also they would finally have the number one center that every playoff team must have to compete in this league get rid off some of these spare part guys and see what happens send them to hartford and if forseberg gets hurt call someone up

i saw his numbers last year i think he is ready

any takers?

nyr1980
08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Is Forsberg even ready to play now? IMO, if he plays in the NHL this season, I think it will be a midseason type of thing, and he'll want a lot of money, granted it will be on a prorated basis at that point.

At 37, with his injury history, and two seasons removed from playing in the NHL, I don't know what he truly has left in the tank.
The guy is the greatest Swede ever to play in the NHL IMO, and I still believe he can be a point a game player over here, but I dont think he can play a full season and if he cant, I don't see how acquiring him is worth it unless it is for very little money.

nyr1980
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
At the risk of harping, that injury history is unbelieveable- it's something like 250 games over the life of his career. That's 3 full seasons.
His PPG and playoff numbers are astounding, which make him very tempting, but I still believe he'll want way too much money.

Fire_Sather
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
You guys are all crazy. Of course given the opp. Glen Sather will jump at Pete. He is an old, useless star. Thats what the Rangers do. NY is truly where stars go to die. They do not try to build a good team with actual talent. NY loves the old big name stars good or bad. It keeps the yuppies in the suits happy. We all know this.

nyr1980
08-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Cant believe Im doing this, but Slats has actually distanced himself from much of that over the past several seasons.
Most of those overpriced, down-trending, veteran signings came under Neil Smith, who has not been Rangers GM in 10 years.
In fact, alot of the mess we blame Sather for was Smith's

fingerbang
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
You guys are all crazy. Of course given the opp. Glen Sather will jump at Pete. He is an old, useless star. Thats what the Rangers do. NY is truly where stars go to die. They do not try to build a good team with actual talent. NY loves the old big name stars good or bad. It keeps the yuppies in the suits happy. We all know this.

You got that right. Welcome to the forum hahahaha

beast023
08-10-2010, 05:25 PM
id take forsberg around the trade deadline if we're struggling to score and still hovering around the 5/6 seeds. he wouldnt have to play more than 20 games + playoffs

NYR Fan
08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Any Rangers fan of the last 40 years already knows signing veterans in the twilight of their career is a waste of time. Just a a quick glance of the NHL all-time scorers will show players who ended their careers as a NY Ranger. What impact did they really have? Forsberg would just take a spot away from some young talent who could develop into a great player. Let the youth get their time in !!

NYR Fan
08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I didn't know Smith signed Redden, Gomez, Rozival and Drury? And for anything Neil Smith did which is considered bad, he still brought us The Cup after 54 years. Sadly as it sounds we are almost 1/3 of the way there again. And Sather was the one who said with NY's wallet he would win the cup EVERY year.

S.S-77
08-10-2010, 06:15 PM
How old is the man? Don't think I would do it. Maybe sign him at the trade dead line though

bsi
08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Rangers are finally on the right track with their youth movement, let's let this unfold, it can't be any worse than what we've gone through since 1994.

nyr1980
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I didn't know Smith signed Redden, Gomez, Rozival and Drury? And for anything Neil Smith did which is considered bad, he still brought us The Cup after 54 years. Sadly as it sounds we are almost 1/3 of the way there again. And Sather was the one who said with NY's wallet he would win the cup EVERY year.

None of the guys you just mentioned are 35+ now, much less when they signed their contracts. And you cant even bring up Gomez at this point because he turned Gomez into Gaborik and Ryan McDonagh.

And despite the fact that Smith brought us the cup, he decimated the franchise to do it. I wont argue the fact that a number of the trades he made helped us win the cup, but he traded away the following players, all of whom went on to have good or better NHL careers:
Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Sergei Zubov, Alex Kovalev, Mattias Norstrom, Marc Savard, and Todd Marchant. Even if you remove Kovalev, thats still pretty rotten.

Not to mention his last 5 first round picks- 3 of which came in the top 10-
Jeff Brown, Stefan Cherneski(Neither of whom ever played in the NHL) PAvel Brendl, Jamie Lunmark (Both total busts) and Manny Malhotra, who has only recently salvaged his career as a 3rd liner.

Sather took over a team with no talent in the system, no young talent on the ice, a ton of bad contracts from a collection of overpaid, over the hill vets, no first round pick in his first draft, and the pressure to win right away with a team that hadnt ewven sniffed the playoffs in three years. That's the mess he had to clean up.

bsi
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I used to be a pretty big Sather fan, but his signings, Gomez 7+ million a year, Drury 7+, Rosival 5, Redden 6+, and the worst idea of all Donald Brashear at 1.4, have made him the worst GM in the league. He has been getting better with his drafting the last while and his free agent signings were better this year, but really all that money tied up into second line support players and 3rd string defensmen have killed this team and handcuffed it's progress since Drury and Gomez signed their contracts. There's no argument available for what he did to this team over his tenure. I will say this though, what he's done with this team since he traded Gomez away has really been positive and I'll give him that, hopefully he's learned how to work in the new salary cap era and he continues to make smart moves.

commonsense12
08-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Dont want any part of Forsberg because he is never healthy. If he signs for league minimum plus incentives sure, if not no way.

rocowear21
08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I used to be a pretty big Sather fan, but his signings, Gomez 7+ million a year, Drury 7+, Rosival 5, Redden 6+, and the worst idea of all Donald Brashear at 1.4, have made him the worst GM in the league. He has been getting better with his drafting the last while and his free agent signings were better this year, but really all that money tied up into second line support players and 3rd string defensmen have killed this team and handcuffed it's progress since Drury and Gomez signed their contracts. There's no argument available for what he did to this team over his tenure. I will say this though, what he's done with this team since he traded Gomez away has really been positive and I'll give him that, hopefully he's learned how to work in the new salary cap era and he continues to make smart moves.

I understand that sather did pay alot for Gomez and Drury. But he was only up alittle bit with the market value for those players. They were the best players available that year during FA and to be honest I believe most ranger fans thought it was going to be very good signings. I thought personally that Drury and Gomez were gonna be very good in NY. Now of course that didnt work out as planned but when the deals went down I was very happy. Yes like I said they were a little expensive but they were the 2 best players that year and looked to be solid centers for our team for years to come.

Rosival did make a huge pay raise but from what I can remember before Sather signed him to that deal he was one of our better D man that we had. If I recall the following year is when he got injured and just seemed to never be the same player after the injuries.

I do admit that Redden was way overpriced but he was brought here to run our pp. Who would have thought that he was gonna be such a bust. I mean he dropped really fast. I dont think anyone thought that was going to happen. I am not defending Sather at all on the Redden deal by the way I am just saying I didnt think redden would be this bad. Its like he completly looks lost out there night in and out.

Brash signing was a joke and yes sather sucks for that, I love the boogy signing, I loved the deal he gave prospal, and he has made our AHL team full of prospects. Sather has def screwed up but like I said I really dont blame him for the gomez and drury signings. Yes they are high but like I said I didnt think they would suck as bad as they have.

rocowear21
08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
So basically like I am saying that the contracts are a little high but the players that he signed at that time I believed and I am sure some other ranger fans believed that they were gonna be very good players.

In jersey gomez was able to make plays and score goals. Not a lot of goals but he made things happen for other teammates. To be honest with you I think Gomez with Gabs would be a very deadly fast line.

But atleast sather didnt pay gomez 10 million for 17 years like Vinny Lecav lol. There are some very bad contracts out there. Yet some way some how sather pulls these trades off that make him look outstanding.

nyr1980
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM
So basically like I am saying that the contracts are a little high but the players that he signed at that time I believed and I am sure some other ranger fans believed that they were gonna be very good players.

In jersey gomez was able to make plays and score goals. Not a lot of goals but he made things happen for other teammates. To be honest with you I think Gomez with Gabs would be a very deadly fast line.

But atleast sather didnt pay gomez 10 million for 17 years like Vinny Lecav lol. There are some very bad contracts out there. Yet some way some how sather pulls these trades off that make him look outstanding.

Thank you. Someone else who saw these players as positives when he signed them. Yes, I too thoguht all of these aforementioned deals were too rich, but other than Redden, who I was never a fan of, I was happy he got/kept the player. Ill also totally concede that the Holik contract was more than a bit ridiculous, but everyone needs to stop about Brashear. First off, the guy is gone, and secondly, he gave the guy a 2 yr deal worth less than 3 million dollars. Are we really that interested in that 3 mil over 2 years? Did that money being spent on Brashear really hurt them? Not saying that it was the best expenditure, but what did it really cost them.

Again, he's been able to rid this team of bad contracts from poor signings he's made, and my guess is that he'll be able to do it again somehow.
He has also drafted well and has made some excellent trades, all while having to dig out from under 4 or 5 years of Neil Smith's incompetence and tremendous scrutiny and pressure to turn it around very quickly and win again with little or nothing to build on. When we had nothing to build around, he brought in Lindros. When we needed more he brought in Bure and when those guys got hurt and the franchise was looking in terrible shape, he went and got Jagr and that changed everything.
You can say that Sather has made bad signings, which he has, but you cant argue with the fact that this team is in better shape now than it was 10 years ago, and he's been the guy doing all this. He has not been perfect, but consider what he started with.

Sandman
08-10-2010, 11:52 PM
he had 10 freaking years and the team is out of the playoffs

rocowear21
08-11-2010, 12:10 AM
he had 10 freaking years and the team is out of the playoffs

Oh I totally agree with you about not really being a contending team. But if Drury, Gomez worked out and jagr didnt want 10 million a year we would have been a very good team. Specially with the youngsters we have now. Dont get me wrong I wish the rangers were in the playoffs and contending every year but we def have work to do since every team in our division and so on got much much better. If gomez, drury, redden worked out, and rosi was playing the way he played before he got hurt that we would actually have a descent team. I am not saying we would have jagr on our team still but things could have been awesome with a linup featuring Gomez and Drury as 1 and two centers. Many things would have had to work out, but who would of thought that these guys would all be so bad.

rocowear21
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Another thought is Gomez really didnt have a bad season with Montreal last year. Yes for his salary he should have had more points but it helps that he has guys that can put the puck in the net.

From what I remember with the days of gomez, he would take the puck and outskate our entire team, be the only one in the offensive zone with no support and have to shoot on net, or give it to a team mate and have them completly miss the net. Gomez was never a top scorer, he was a play making center that had no one to put the puck in the net. WHen he was with Jagr it was a very nice line. But from what I remember Jagr wanted a crap ton of money to stay. Dont get me wrong I love Jagr, own his jersey, and always have him play on my team in hockey games. I loved to watch him just power into the zone and I loved him for what he did for our team with the points that he gave us. But when his contract was up he wanted a lot of money, I believe he would have been the highest paid player in the league. If gomez and drury worked out we would have been rocking while the pens were still building along with washington. Now we basiclaly have no chance with the team that we are putting on the ice.

I just dont think we are going to be able to put the points up like washington, philly, Pitts, and even teams like Lightning, Montreal, are getting better. Our D is pritty weak compared to many other teams, and we only have 1 maybe 2 legit scoring threats compared to other teams with superstars and deep deep line combinations. I think most of us can agree with that. I would love for our team to bite the bullet and trade players like Gabs, Lundquist, and get high high top draft picks to continue to build our team for dominance in the future, like 3 or so years down the road. But we all know that dolan doesnt care about fully winning. As long as we make the playoffs every year then he makes a profit. As long as he is making money he really could care less.

bsi
08-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Gomez is worth about 3.5 million dollars and he belongs on the second line. I hated watching him take the puck up the ice, only to throw it at the goalies chest. For all that playmaking ability he was supposed to have he rarely dished it off to his wingers in the neutral zone. Drury is the highest paid 3rd-4th liner in the league and Redden hasn't been the same since Ottawa played Anaheim in the finals and Penner, Getzlaf, Perry and Rob Niedermeyer pounded on him in the corners. This team will take a huge leap forward once we can shed Drury's and Redden's contracts, until those two Albatrosses are gotten rid of we have to get used to things the way they are unless some of our drafted players can step it up, which I hope they can. I don't think trading Gaborik or Lundqvist for that matter is a good idea for the future of this team. Those are our two stars, they are young and able to play here for the next bunch of years, making what is a rebuilding team, bearable to watch. Now while I say all this negative stuff about Sather, I do applaud him for his recent approach, although I'm unsure if he learned his lesson or if it's out of necessity due to our close proximity to the cap ceiling, either way I like where things are going with this team......finally.

rocowear21
08-11-2010, 02:04 AM
I agree with you bsi. But my ? to you is do you see this team winning in the next couple years. I for one dont. As I stated before I just dont see us going point for point with the teams in our division. We are going to be fighting just to make it to the playoffs. God for bid we get in, I dont see us going very far. So my ? to you is do you think by the time this team is ready to really contend that Gabs will be able to withstand a couple years and stay healthy and still have the skill set he does now. Yes he does have a great wrister but his game is based on mostly speed. I see him losing a lot of that by the time this team can contend. We get some very good young players and picks for him and that only helps us for a future contender.

Redfish
08-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I agree with you bsi. But my ? to you is do you see this team winning in the next couple years. I for one dont. As I stated before I just dont see us going point for point with the teams in our division. We are going to be fighting just to make it to the playoffs. God for bid we get in, I dont see us going very far. So my ? to you is do you think by the time this team is ready to really contend that Gabs will be able to withstand a couple years and stay healthy and still have the skill set he does now. Yes he does have a great wrister but his game is based on mostly speed. I see him losing a lot of that by the time this team can contend. We get some very good young players and picks for him and that only helps us for a future contender.

That is a fair point, and good question. If I may take a stab and offer my 2c, I do believe Gaborik will still be a force when this team is approaching serious contention. Going into next season, we could have $12mm of our cap books, via trades of Roszival and Drury. If you evaluate their team contributions and think of what two players worthy at $6mm per player bring to any team, or three players at $4mm per player, then I think a case can be made that going into next season this team could be markedly better. Throw in a 1-2 more seasons for our younger players to improve and gain experience and, again, I think the path for this club becoming an annual threat deep into the playoffs is clear. The key is using the monies paid Drury and Roszival on guys that actually perform at their contract levels.

Also, given Gaborik's past injuries, in which he has missed approximately 160 games throughout his career (i.e., two full seasons), one could argue he should have a bit more gas left in the tank than most 30-31 year old forwards (which isn't extraordinarily old to begin with). He is so fast that any small slippage still means Gaborik is a threat in the open ice.

Or, at least that's my take.

bsi
08-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Redfish you summed up what I have been saying here for a while, that we can't contend until we get rid of Sather's contracts. We're missing two superstar players that we're currently paying for. Last years signing of Gaborik just shows what getting rid of just one of the four bad contracts did for our team. If we could lose Redden, Drury, and Rosival there's over 20 million in salaries out of a 59.4 cap that we could use to sign guys like maybe Kovalchuk (though he's the best UFA this year, he wouldn't be my pick for where to spend). 20 million dollars in cap space could turn this team from a pretender to a contender overnight. Considering we have a 1/3 of our money tied up in bad contracts I think we did alright last year even getting a sniff at the 8th spot, there's no other team in the league currently paying three players this much to do so little.

rocowear21
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I agree with both of your guys statements. The only problem is I just dont think Gabs is gonna be as effective toward the end of his contract. Dont get me wrong he will still be a threat on the ice and still score goals, but his body and his speed will def diminish by the time his contract nears to a end. I love Gabs and I love everything he did for this team last year. I guess basically if I see him play 1 more season with about 75 games or more I might feel a little more confident

bsi
08-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Ya, I know what you are sayin roco, Gaborik doesn't have the best injury track record. If we could get rid of those contracts our team instantly has the ability to become great, but as long as those contracts hang around we're gonna have to hang our hopes on the youth of this team. I realize Sather has his work cut out for him, but he really has to get rid of those contracts while Gaborik and Hank are still with us, so we can give them the support they need. I am of the opinion we trade the bad contracts, not the good ones, lol.

rocowear21
08-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I would love to get rid of those bad contracts and to be honest, I would really love to keep drury around for a 4th line pk player after this contract is up. I am not saying paying him a crap load and keep him captain but I think he would resign with us for cheap. The dude does play his arse off night in and out, he just cant score. I would take him back in a heart beat for a 4th line center and Pk player. Kinda like a prospal deal last year or this year.

Anyway I am just 50 50 on the Gabs thing. Those contracts that we have right now are killing us. If you could turn around and trade Gabs for a couple very high picks right now, would u do it. I understand at the end of this year and next year we have a lot of money coming off the books. So we use the high picks that we get for Gabs, plus our picks now along with Washingtons second and we can trade use those picks and low prospects for Star Players, or Turn around sign some big FA for reasonable contracts and use those picks and restock our offensive prospect list. Especially if the draft is strong then we can have a team that might look like chicago or LA. I dont see many Crosbys or Malkins but you get where I am coming from. Rangers Management needs to decide if they are going to attempt to win or are they content on just making the playoffs. Because that is the team we have this year barring any miracles lol. Like I said before I just dont see us competing with the other elite 7 teams.

bsi
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I would love to get rid of those bad contracts and to be honest, I would really love to keep drury around for a 4th line pk player after this contract is up. I am not saying paying him a crap load and keep him captain but I think he would resign with us for cheap. The dude does play his arse off night in and out, he just cant score. I would take him back in a heart beat for a 4th line center and Pk player. Kinda like a prospal deal last year or this year.

Anyway I am just 50 50 on the Gabs thing. Those contracts that we have right now are killing us. If you could turn around and trade Gabs for a couple very high picks right now, would u do it. I understand at the end of this year and next year we have a lot of money coming off the books. So we use the high picks that we get for Gabs, plus our picks now along with Washingtons second and we can trade use those picks and low prospects for Star Players, or Turn around sign some big FA for reasonable contracts and use those picks and restock our offensive prospect list. Especially if the draft is strong then we can have a team that might look like chicago or LA. I dont see many Crosbys or Malkins but you get where I am coming from. Rangers Management needs to decide if they are going to attempt to win or are they content on just making the playoffs. Because that is the team we have this year barring any miracles lol. Like I said before I just dont see us competing with the other elite 7 teams.

Drury doesn't bother me at 2 million, it's just the fact that we're using the money that we need for a top line player on a guy who is lucky to be on the third line. Those three contracts are handcuffing this team, that's three starting players that we're paying for but not getting. Add three top line players to this team and we're as good as anyone.

bsi
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Finally Forsberg realizes what we all knew 4 years ago.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/HockeyBuzz-Wire/Forsberg-says-comeback-unlikely/42/29747