PDA

View Full Version : Wells dislocates big right toe

nithanyo
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
People forget Wells' effort in todays game. He made an insane catch and broke his toe to save the no-hitter.... and he put the winning and only rbi of the game

He is having a great season and hope he is not out for long. Id think he is on the 15 day dl. But he could be day to day and DH within a week. A dislocated toe is something you can play through if treated properly

McJoe
08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I haven't seen this play yet. Can someone find it for me? I'll look on mlb.com and hope to find it lol.

BlueJayCarter
08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Wells did score the only RBI for the Jays with that blup hit into right field ... props for that. I also give credit for Escobar being smart and going first to third on the Jose ground-out before because if he had been on second I don't think he would have scored.

Excellent game by Brandon Morrow ... couldn't stop but watch his last two innings ... to bad Hill wasn't a couple more feet to his left he might have been able to get it standing up but he had to be at double play depth.

I say one of our young pitchers will get a no-no for this team before their careers or time with the Blue Jays are over.

statquo
08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Trip to the DL forsure. Playing with a hurt toe on artificial turf would suck.

2009mvp
08-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Turf+toe injury= bad combination. I don't think it sounds too serious (then again what the hell do I know?) but either way I'd keep him out of the field for at least a few games.

Twitchy
08-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I thought he hurt his wrist the way he bounced off the wall but yeah he looked like he was in some pain. Hopefully nothing too serious.

BBB
08-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Big ups to Vernon. That was an amazing catch.

2009mvp
08-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Wells did score the only RBI for the Jays with that blup hit into right field ... props for that. I also give credit for Escobar being smart and going first to third on the Jose ground-out before because if he had been on second I don't think he would have scored.

Excellent game by Brandon Morrow ... couldn't stop but watch his last two innings ... to bad Hill wasn't a couple more feet to his left he might have been able to get it standing up but he had to be at double play depth.

I say one of our young pitchers will get a no-no for this team before their careers or time with the Blue Jays are over.

A hanging blooper to right field? It was an exciting, ballsy play to head straight for third, but if Escobar's's still on second and doesn't score on that single with 2 outs there's a problem.

BlueJayCarter
08-08-2010, 04:37 PM
15 day DL and come back when his toe is good in two weeks wouldn't be the worst option. Buck would be coming back as well. If he doesn't need the DL and it gives Snider more time to play in the field while Wells heals his big toe that would be the best option.

But, if he is on the DL, who comes up?

A rookie, a career minor leaguer, someone who has already been up (McCoy, Hoffpauir)?

McJoe
08-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I think it will be okay for him to miss a couple games and I'd like to keep him off the field to see what the kids can do. And to make sure Vernon is healthy. The way Aaron is swinging the bat I think should allow this to not hurt too much and maybe we get a chance to see Snider and Arencibia relied on for bigger roles, possibly in the middle of the order...

1. Wise/Lewis
2. Escobar
3. Bautista
4. Hill
5. Lind
6. Snider
7. Arencibia
8. Overbay
9. Encarnacion

FlakeyFool
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I hope we don't see more wise then lewis in the next few weeks

McJoe
08-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Just saw it and WOW!!! Certainly rivals Devon White's "the catch" if Devo's hadn't been in the playoffs.

T.O.Bombinators
08-08-2010, 06:46 PM
when he was pulled i thought it was maybe a shoulder injury..if he lands on the DL i would like to see mastroianni up

wamco
08-08-2010, 07:21 PM
someone with upside please

BlueJayFanDan
08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Hope Vernon is alright. Hope it's not a trip to the DL.

bomber0104
08-08-2010, 07:37 PM
call up Mastorianni

2009mvp
08-08-2010, 07:51 PM
^^To sit on the bench? We all know what this means to Cito, Wise in center (and/or Bautista, who's probably awful in center but IIRC did get a couple of games there last year) and the rotation at the corners, 3B and DH continue.

Acutally, as bad Bautista probably would be in CF he can't be that big a dropoff from Wells, and keeping him there would probably open the door for Snider to play everyday. That might not be the worst thing in the world.

North Yorker
08-08-2010, 08:05 PM
^^To sit on the bench? We all know what this means to Cito, Wise in center (and/or Bautista, who's probably awful in center but IIRC did get a couple of games there last year) and the rotation at the corners, 3B and DH continue.

Acutally, as bad Bautista probably would be in CF he can't be that big a dropoff from Wells, and keeping him there would probably open the door for Snider to play everyday. That might not be the worst thing in the world.

lol no way jose moves to CF, his range is horrible.
I think you mean Lewis.

H-MYK
08-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I hope Wells is ok, but I have a feeling he'll end up on the DL.

Bjaxn45
08-08-2010, 10:44 PM
lol no way jose moves to CF, his range is horrible.
I think you mean Lewis.

Bautista could play Below-Average CF I bet. but to the other poster who said he can't be much worse than Wells...Yes, yes he can.

Bjaxn45
08-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Great Grab by VW. Went balls to the wall, literally. I don't expect an impact callup on this. I expect Wise/Lewis to play some CF. I'd expect Wells back in a week or two, why rush it?

nithanyo
08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Bautista could play Below-Average CF I bet. but to the other poster who said he can't be much worse than Wells...Yes, yes he can.

I think wells is still an above average CF.... i dont get where this idea where people feel like wells is a horrid center fielder. He was injured last 3 seasons. He proved he can run down a baseball as good as anyone today, and he also proved he is willing to give himself up for a team win and a teamates no-hitter. Leadership material??