PDA

View Full Version : How many titles can vindicate Lebron.

dnewguy
08-07-2010, 07:42 PM
How many titles will vindicate Lebron of his decision to leave his home town for the Heat? We all know his decision was based on his chase for multiple rings. I know some people will still say he should have done it by himself in Cleveland, but most people will probably over-look it in the future but that's only based on the results of his decision. So for you to over-look his decision, how many titles do you think it will be worth?

BAMF
08-07-2010, 07:43 PM

SportsFanatic10
08-07-2010, 07:57 PM

mohye
08-07-2010, 07:59 PM
he claimed he was going to miami to win multiple championships and i think the last # he said was 8... all i gota say is good luck buddy

:facepalm:

Hotone1401
08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I say 7, only because he said he will win 7.

TheTakeOver24
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I say one... because thats one more than he won with Cleveland.

nastynice
08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
its like beating mario brothers with a cheat code. No matter how many times you do it, its still not the same as beating it once w/o codes.

HoopsDrive
08-07-2010, 08:04 PM

SportsFanatic10
08-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah he obviously got carried away there when he went past "not 1, not 2" then continued all the way to "not 7". They're only signed for 6 years together with a possible lockout for one of them as well so good luck is right. However 2 or 3 rings is very realistic in my mind. Also all it should take to make it worth it for Lebron is 1 since that alone is something alot of the greats never managed to accomplish.

xSolidx
08-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Ill say 3.

He couldve won at least 1 title if he stayed in Cleveland. If he only wins 1 title in 6-7 yrs with Wade and Bosh, it would be viewed as a failure.

29$JerZ
08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
When he gets more than Wade.

TheTakeOver24
08-07-2010, 08:12 PM

lol:clap:

bholly
08-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Horrible poll. I was going to say three. Which one do I put?

Aapox
08-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Horrible poll. I was going to say three. Which one do I put?

Hahahaha

DCSportsIsPain
08-07-2010, 08:16 PM
No amount of titles will change the ****ed up manner in which he left or the equally ****ed up manner in which he shot his mouth off. Rings aren't going to make him grow up.

SupeUnagi
08-07-2010, 08:17 PM
he only needs one
the only people that will say "well he needs more" if he wins a championship, are the ones that dont watch basketball
the people that feed on the kobe vs lebron rivalry the sports media forces you to gobble up

SupeUnagi
08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
also, further proof that miami is lebron's team

D Roses Bulls
08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
lebron will never get vindicated. he will face the same stuff pippen has had to face being the side kick.

Hotone1401
08-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Despite what HEAT fans will say the guy has seriously gotta win multiple championships. I mean, didn't he say himself that the reason he left the Cavs was for an opportunity to win multiple championships?? I know HEAT fans are just tryin to cover for the guy but he has definitely gotta to win more than 1. With the team he has now, there are no more excuses to not win atleast 4 in 6 years, and I for one hope he wins none.

_KB24_
08-07-2010, 08:21 PM
3. Now that he has "help" like many of you say, anything less and he will be seen as a huge underachiever.

ldawg
08-07-2010, 08:24 PM
don't care but not to considered an under achiever they have to win 7

SupeUnagi
08-07-2010, 08:28 PM
don't care but not to considered an under achiever they have to win 7

because under achievers only win 6 in 7 years

eh at least the miami crap is dying down around here. probably because espn has switched to favre watch

Hotone1401
08-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, if HEAT fans say Lebron and Wade are better than Kobe, and Bosh will better than Gasol, than I say they will be a dynasty that wins the next 6 titles in a row starting this year.

zambo4president
08-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Gotta go with the 7+ that he said himself.

SupeUnagi
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
well the majority of the posters in this thread (minus heat fans and ones teetering on trolling) say that the heat will be an nba failure if they fail to win at least 3 championships

ok then

SouthSideRookie
08-07-2010, 09:05 PM
he only needs one
the only people that will say "well he needs more" if he wins a championship, are the ones that dont watch basketball
the people that feed on the kobe vs lebron rivalry the sports media forces you to gobble up

I watch basketball but im not naive enough to think that people wont always question that Lebron couldnt do it on his own, no matter how many he won. Its just like all these fans questioning why suddenly no one likes Lebron, are you kidding me, where have all these people been, before this "decision" thing I knew maybe 2,3 people who liked Lebron. On the sports media hype, I actually think its the other way, the media has hyped this guy so much and have led people to believe all this "chosen one" bs, Cavs fans fell for it now Heat fans.

Hotone1401
08-07-2010, 09:18 PM
also, further proof that miami is lebron's team

The guy with the ball in his hands in the final 2 minutes of a game to close will be the leader of the team. I have a feeling it will be Wade so I say it's Wade's team but we'll see I guess.

Hotone1401
08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
he only needs one

How does he only need one?? The guy could have won 1 title if he stayed in Cleveland so shouldn't it be more than one alteast??

VinceCarter
08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
its like beating mario brothers with a cheat code. No matter how many times you do it, its still not the same as beating it once w/o codes.

Wow, you summed up a paragraph plus of writing with one simple comparison.

VinceCarter
08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
The guy with the ball in his hands in the final 2 minutes of a game to close will be the leader of the team. I have a feeling it will be Wade so I say it's Wade's team but we'll see I guess.

The Yankees is Jeter's team not A-Rod's (or CC etc).

Same way the Heat is Wade's team not LeBron's.

SupeUnagi
08-07-2010, 09:26 PM
How does he only need one?? The guy could have won 1 title if he stayed in Cleveland so shouldn't it be more than one alteast??

do you really just think that a good player can get a championship whenever he feels like it?
it take a great team, a great coaching staff, and great support

just because he's lebron, and just because he has wade doesnt mean that its going to be a cakewalk with alleyoops to each other all game

it takes a lot of work and a lot of pain. look how stacked the lakers are, and they still had to scrap their way through the WC.

seriously, one is all he needs to cement his legacy. im sure he'll need 20 to cement his legacy in cleveland and LA but thats not important, nor will it ever be

bennyg
08-07-2010, 09:30 PM
good luck coming back to cleveland "vindicated" with any number of titles lebron.

Jewelz0376
08-07-2010, 09:32 PM
To me it just depends...He def needs more than 1 because I feel like if he stayed with Cle he could've won at least 1 at some point..

Even 2 to me isn't enough considering the damage that was done when he left to his popularity... I think he would need at least 3 and that's only if he proves he's the best player on the Heat... If Wade shows to be the better player than he would need probably 4 or 5...

Hotone1401
08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
do you really just think that a good player can get a championship whenever he feels like it?
it take a great team, a great coaching staff, and great support

just because he's lebron, and just because he has wade doesnt mean that its going to be a cakewalk with alleyoops to each other all game

it takes a lot of work and a lot of pain. look how stacked the lakers are, and they still had to scrap their way through the WC.

seriously, one is all he needs to cement his legacy. im sure he'll need 20 to cement his legacy in cleveland and LA but thats not important, nor will it ever be

I never said it would have been easy. I'm just saying that he could have won 1 title had he stayed in Cleveland and I'm pretty sure everybody else feels the same way. Had he stayed, and once Kobe/Gasol, and KG/Pierce/Allen retired he could have won atleast 1 title wouldn't you agree?

prodigy
08-07-2010, 09:41 PM
How many titles will vindicate Lebron of his decision to leave his home town for the Heat? We all know his decision was based on his chase for multiple rings. I know some people will still say he should have done it by himself in Cleveland, but most people will probably over-look it in the future but that's only based on the results of his decision. So for you to over-look his decision, how many titles do you think it will be worth?

Well he said 8 right? so 9.

iggypop123
08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
6 with wade injured during 3 of them

Kyben36
08-07-2010, 09:47 PM
None, the only way that fans will be happy is if Lebron falls flat on his face. He realy is a prick, and no mater how many titles he wins, everyoen will look at it as coudl he have done it without somebody as good as he is. and the answer will allways be none, he had the cnace to be finals mVP year after year, instead, he will never be anything more than another guy on a team that wins alot.

Hotone1401
08-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Lebron is the Greatest Regular Season player this game has ever seen.

ragee
08-07-2010, 09:57 PM
7+ like what he said! Hahaha...

Tony_Starks
08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
If he ends up with 3 to 6 titles it puts him in the conversation with Magic, Jordan, Kobe and the rest of the greats who dominated the league and have the rings to back it up.

Hangtime
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
He needs to win multiple champs, at least 2 and a finals MVP award for extra measure.

Evolution23
08-07-2010, 11:14 PM
doesnt matter how many he wins.. he always gona be a sellout and a coward in my books

cowboyz180
08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
1-3

Rafer17
08-08-2010, 12:00 AM
IMO a minimum of 3 titles. One wouldnt do it because he could have won one title on the Cavs. Two wouldnt do it because he is playing with a top 3 player and a top 3 PF. Three titles in four/five years would be good. Then again during there little introduction parade he promised 7+ titles...SMH

Also...I can see Dan Gilbert and LeBron kiss&makeup, and Lebron deciding to play his last couple of years in his career on the Cavs just out of respect. (Or he will retire as a Cav....either one)

NYYCowboys
08-08-2010, 12:20 AM
6 with wade injured during 3 of them

hahaha agreed

JordansBulls
08-08-2010, 12:22 AM

Umm, no not even close.

PrettyBoyJ
08-08-2010, 12:27 AM
realistically I say 2 maybe 3, because lakers still may the team to beat, and I see a lot of teams will begin to try and form super teams (which will hurt the nba) and that will prob leave them only winning 2 or 3 rings

REALLYYYYY?
08-08-2010, 12:30 AM
there needs to be an option for "0" and an option for something like "it depends on the circumstances/team" (since one problem people seem to have with him is how he joined up with wade and bosh).

hugepatsfan
08-08-2010, 12:50 AM
He doesn't need to "vindicate" leaving. He had every right to leave. There is nothing to vindicate there. He will never be able to put the despicable way in which he left behind him though. That's how a lot of people will define him.

Heater4life
08-08-2010, 12:56 AM
No amount of titles will change the ****ed up manner in which he left or the equally ****ed up manner in which he shot his mouth off. Rings aren't going to make him grow up.

Negative. Once the rings come in people stop caring. And its not about just winning either. The fashion in which they win makes a difference as well. If the Heat blow teams out of the water for several years all the b.s leaves and GOAT talks begin to spur up again, its just how it works. i say Heatpeat vindicates him.

Heater4life
08-08-2010, 01:00 AM
He doesn't need to "vindicate" leaving. He had every right to leave. There is nothing to vindicate there. He will never be able to put the despicable way in which he left behind him though. That's how a lot of people will define him.

His ILL ADVISED decision will fade as soon as the season starts. He will be a member of the Heat, people will become accustomed to it. And life will move on as it was when he was in cleveland. (if he wins one, even more so).

Despicable? Not so much.

bholly
08-08-2010, 01:13 AM
I hate the 'he said he wanted 7+ so he has to get that many' argument. He was just hyping up a crowd, sports people do it all the time. The Sixers 1983 12-1 playoff run wasn't a failure because Moses predicted fo', fo', fo'.
If he wins even 3 in a row he and the team will be remembered for a long time. 4, 5, or 6 in a row would be amazing. Even 4, 5, or 6 for a career. Saying '7+ or bust' is pure stupidity.

evadatam5150
08-08-2010, 01:31 AM

You forgot Zero..

Plain and simple, Bron took the easy way out of leading an NBA team to a title without having to collude with and rely on 2 other proven NBA stars to get the job done.

Hangtime
08-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Negative. Once the rings come in people stop caring. And its not about just winning either. The fashion in which they win makes a difference as well. If the Heat blow teams out of the water for several years all the b.s leaves and GOAT talks begin to spur up again, its just how it works. i say Heatpeat vindicates him.

LOL. I agree. Winning will make people forget really fast. No matter what people said or thought about Kobe the way the Shaq thing went down once he delivered another title without him it was no longer an issue. And now he has two. Lebron wins one with Miami and gets the bonus of a finals MVP, his cleveland days will be a distant memory.

evadatam5150
08-08-2010, 01:50 AM

You're s smarmy little ignorant twit aren't you..?? Listen just because you type something doesn't make it a fact.. Public perception's a fairly fickle thing and no one can really be sure about how long it will take the normal sports fan to accept or continue to abhor Bron and his less than popular decisions of late.. As things stand now it looks like forgiveness outside of Miami will be a long time in the coming.. One thing is for sure though if and when Miami wins a title, everyone including the media will always say that Bron couldn't do it by himself.. And they will be absolutely correct and this more than anything else will surely haunt him the rest of his career no matter how many titles he wins..

Super.
08-08-2010, 01:56 AM

This

hugepatsfan
08-08-2010, 02:21 AM
His ILL ADVISED decision will fade as soon as the season starts. He will be a member of the Heat, people will become accustomed to it. And life will move on as it was when he was in cleveland. (if he wins one, even more so).

Despicable? Not so much.

I disagree. People will always think he is a douche bag and that despicable (which it was) show is a main reason. People will not forget that. Obviously he can still wow them on the court, but there are going to be a lot of people that appreciate Lebron the player but hate Lebron the man because of it.

knickfan33
08-08-2010, 02:35 AM
None, he made the worst FA decision in FA history. He will be always be known for the decision more then anything else. He could have a legend in CLE, or NY... if he went to the Nets noone would have cared, if he went to CHI he would have never lived up to jordan.
He made the worst decision possable going to MIA, he will always be remembered as #2, and all for a couple rings, because they will get 2-3 rings max.
I truly feel bad for Lebron cause i always liked him, but his own agents told him not to go to MIA and he did it anyway. He would have at least gotten 1 ring in cleveland, in NY with Amare randolph and gallo, he would have formed a team of 4 6'8" players wiht outside shots that i truly beleive would have gotten more rings then he will in MIA, but even if he only got one ring in NY, it would mean so much more then a couple in MIA.
i really think part of him believes he will win close to 7 rings, but it wont happen... in 5 years; Wade 33, Bosh 31,Lebron 31.... and they won't win five straight....
i would put money on the fact that five years from now he will do a book or an interview where he aknowlages his mistake.

Jewelz0376
08-08-2010, 04:52 AM

Nah that def goes to Wilt...

JusticeKnight
08-08-2010, 05:24 AM
all it takes is one. Cleveland won't have that many for a long time.

BrotherRedz
08-08-2010, 05:40 AM
I think you should ask this question 5 years from now

All these talk right now is just speculations and hate

jensbalboy
08-08-2010, 05:44 AM
I don't think Lebron can stay the player he now is because his game is based on his athleticism so I think it wil be like two or three titels

Hawkeye15
08-08-2010, 09:53 AM
While hardcore fans will always remember LeBron's stupid "decision", and how classless it was, most real fans also understand why he did it, and know he had every right to select which team he wanted to play for.
Now the average fan, has a short term memory, and once LeBron wins a single ring, he is cleared. That is just how it works. Everyone outside LA hated Kobe a few years ago. Now he gets his butt kissed. Winning takes care of the mainstream opinion pretty quick.
For me personally, he needs 3-4 rings and to clearly be the Heat's best player for the next number of years to continue moving up into the top of all time conversation

MTar786
08-08-2010, 10:16 AM
IMO he can win 3 and it still wont equal to anything.. winning with 2 superstars and not being The man will do nothing for you.. he will never be known as the man who brought them rings.. they will ONLY be known as a Great team in history that won championships IF they win 4+ in the 6 years. Look at how people downplay kobes first 3 rings with ONE superstar and a bunch of scrubs. lebron has 2 SUPERSTARS and some good role players in big Z, haslem, miller etc.... AND may i add all three are in their prime. kobe wasnt even close to his prime the first ring and was only entering his prime just after the last ring.

PS. Last week I was walking down the street in miami and i passed by Lebron James. I said hi to him and all of a suddeen a ref came out of the trash can and called a foul on me..

Hawkeye15
08-08-2010, 10:27 AM
IMO he can win 3 and it still wont equal to anything.. winning with 2 superstars and not being The man will do nothing for you.. he will never be known as the man who brought them rings.. they will ONLY be known as a Great team in history that won championships IF they win 4+ in the 6 years. Look at how people downplay kobes first 3 rings with ONE superstar and a bunch of scrubs. lebron has 2 SUPERSTARS and some good role players in big Z, haslem, miller etc.... AND may i add all three are in their prime. kobe wasnt even close to his prime the first ring and was only entering his prime just after the last ring.

PS. Last week I was walking down the street in miami and i passed by Lebron James. I said hi to him and all of a suddeen a ref came out of the trash can and called a foul on me..

make up your mind Laker fans. Because most of you defend those so called "scrubs" left and right.
Kobe was the #2 option on his first 3 rings. Nobody downplays them, they simply point out Kobe was not the leader of those teams. And calling Fisher, Fox, Shaw, Horry, Harper, and the rest of the crew scrubs is a bit much.
Point is, if LeBron is the statistical leader of these three rings, and the floor leader of these rings, they do indeed mean something.
But he did put himself in a position where he has to now outplay Wade by a large enough margin for everyone to admit it, otherwise his rings will indeed be looked at differently. To be an all timer, you have to be the leader of a great team

MTar786
08-08-2010, 10:43 AM
make up your mind Laker fans. Because most of you defend those so called "scrubs" left and right.
Kobe was the #2 option on his first 3 rings. Nobody downplays them, they simply point out Kobe was not the leader of those teams. And calling Fisher, Fox, Shaw, Horry, Harper, and the rest of the crew scrubs is a bit much.
Point is, if LeBron is the statistical leader of these three rings, and the floor leader of these rings, they do indeed mean something.
But he did put himself in a position where he has to now outplay Wade by a large enough margin for everyone to admit it, otherwise his rings will indeed be looked at differently. To be an all timer, you have to be the leader of a great team

trust me.. fisher, fox, harper (at the time), shaw were nobodies. u clearly didnt watch the lakers back then. just because fish got better didnt mean anything to what he was back then, harper was ols and broken down. fox had ok defense, leadership and nothing else. shaw would play his 10 mins and bust a 3 once in a while.. that was it. horry u can say was a great role player in 02. rice was a great role player in 00 and grant was a decent role player in 01. get ur facts straight.. you can even go look at the stats for those years. They were scrubs buddy. and sorry dont defend lebron. wade is and will always be the leader of miami. lebron has no leadership skills. its wades team and will be his team for atleast another 2 or 3 years

You also seem to forget we had guys u will never even remember in devin george when he was even worse than he is now. medvedenko was pf for us at times when grant would play center. madsen playd like 10 mins a game. travis knight. cmon man.. we had nobody but shaq and kobe and a role player here and there

Hawkeye15
08-08-2010, 10:47 AM
trust me.. fisher, fox, harper (at the time), shaw were nobodies. u clearly didnt watch the lakers back then. just because fish got better didnt mean anything to what he was back then, harper was ols and broken down. fox had ok defense, leadership and nothing else. shaw would play his 10 mins and bust a 3 once in a while.. that was it. horry u can say was a great role player in 02. rice was a great role player in 00 and grant was a decent role player in 01. get ur facts straight.. you can even go look at the stats for those years. They were scrubs buddy. and sorry dont defend lebron. wade is and will always be the leader of miami. lebron has no leadership skills. its wades team and will be his team for atleast another 2 or 3 years

why is it when people don't agree, they say you must not have watched?
And sorry if I don't take your evaluations seriously. They are homerish. And you clearly haven't watched LeBron play if you think he has no leadership skills.
You said people "downplay" Kobe's first three rings. This is false. You said he played with Shaq, and "scrubs". This is false. And then, as typical of many Laker fans, you take a shot at LeBron, and attempt to critique his game, which you did poorly.
My facts are straight. Its yours that are not

THE MTL
08-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Well he did kinda say not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7....lol.

But I say he has to win about 3 championships (including a championship THIS YEAR) to vindicate himself. And then ppl will realize, okay he made the right decision.

DCSportsIsPain
08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
While hardcore fans will always remember LeBron's stupid "decision", and how classless it was, most real fans also understand why he did it, and know he had every right to select which team he wanted to play for.
Now the average fan, has a short term memory, and once LeBron wins a single ring, he is cleared. That is just how it works. Everyone outside LA hated Kobe a few years ago. Now he gets his butt kissed. Winning takes care of the mainstream opinion pretty quick.
For me personally, he needs 3-4 rings and to clearly be the Heat's best player for the next number of years to continue moving up into the top of all time conversation

Excellent post, although I would venture LeBron need 5 rings to be in the "GOAT" conversation, 6 to be seriously in the conversation, and more than 6 to be taken seriously as being better than the current GOAT. Five is where the conversation begins, IMO.

Hawkeye15
08-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Excellent post, although I would venture LeBron need 5 rings to be in the "GOAT" conversation, 6 to be seriously in the conversation, and more than 6 to be taken seriously as being better than the current GOAT. Five is where the conversation begins, IMO.

I worry LeBron may have taken himself out of the GOAT equation with his decision. Because he now has to clearly outplay Dwayne freaking Wade, and win a bunch of rings. Not an easy accomplishment

12to85
08-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Right On with that comparison.

MTar786
08-08-2010, 11:09 AM
why is it when people don't agree, they say you must not have watched?
And sorry if I don't take your evaluations seriously. They are homerish. And you clearly haven't watched LeBron play if you think he has no leadership skills.
You said people "downplay" Kobe's first three rings. This is false. You said he played with Shaq, and "scrubs". This is false. And then, as typical of many Laker fans, you take a shot at LeBron, and attempt to critique his game, which you did poorly.
My facts are straight. Its yours that are not

how is my statment false? kobe played with shaq a good role pleyer here and there and a bunch of scrubs is true.. pls go look at the laker players stats from 00-02... lebron has no leadership skills an that is a fact.. amazing player with NO leadership skills.. thats that.. accept it and move on

Hawkeye15
08-08-2010, 11:14 AM
how is my statment false? kobe played with shaq a good role pleyer here and there and a bunch of scrubs is true.. pls go look at the laker players stats from 00-02... lebron has no leadership skills an that is a fact.. amazing player with NO leadership skills.. thats that.. accept it and move on

They had the best center in the NBA, a top 3 wing, and role players who fit the system. Period.

And how does LeBron not have leadership skills? Please explain. Because he couldn't will a subpar roster to a championship? Did Kobe have no leadership skills when he was getting bounced in round 1?

masalex1205
08-08-2010, 11:17 AM

exactly

JordansBulls
08-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Fox, Horry, Fisher, Grant are not scrubs. WTF are you talking about.

DCSportsIsPain
08-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I worry LeBron may have taken himself out of the GOAT equation with his decision. Because he now has to clearly outplay Dwayne freaking Wade, and win a bunch of rings. Not an easy accomplishment

I look at it on several levels. Rings are only one part of the equation. Stats are only one part of the equation. Awards are meaningless, although they often come with the aforementioned. The "how" is equally important to the "how many." LeBron is a freakish athlete but a limited basketball player. He will not be able to perform at the same level in ten years. There has to be clear and convincing evidence that LeBron is the best player in NBA history, and that evidence has to be such that his peers recognize him as the GOAT. Fans are by and large biased, uneducated, and unqualified to judge. MJ and Magic and Kobe enter the discussion because Kareem and Russell and West and The Big O say they do, not because fans say they do. LeBron may never earn that.

madvillian9
08-08-2010, 11:29 AM
i hate the heat with a passion. talk about bandwagon fans. how many new heat psd fans have signed up since july??

jordan and pippen were the pinnacle and won 6 in 8 years. who knows, they could have won 8 if jordans father didnt get killed but thats another thread. james and wade dont compare but they def have the chance to win a few within the next 7-8 years before the window closes. i think the over/under should be 2.5. it will be interesting.

Hangtime
08-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Yeah. I agree with the GOAT discussions because of a favorable position to win that he put himself in instead of having the team built around him and adding necessary pieces to compliment him. Much like Dwayne in 06 when he delivered the title with what they surrounded him with. Bottom line whether we all percieve this teamup as an advantage or not they still have to make good on multiple titles and Lebron may not put up the same numbers being a solo act in Cleveland but people will definitely put his contribution to Miami's success or lack of under a microscope. There is still a good level of contenders for the title out there so it won't be easy.

Hawkeye15
08-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I look at it on several levels. Rings are only one part of the equation. Stats are only one part of the equation. Awards are meaningless, although they often come with the aforementioned. The "how" is equally important to the "how many." LeBron is a freakish athlete but a limited basketball player. He will not be able to perform at the same level in ten years. There has to be clear and convincing evidence that LeBron is the best player in NBA history, and that evidence has to be such that his peers recognize him as the GOAT. Fans are by and large biased, uneducated, and unqualified to judge. MJ and Magic and Kobe enter the discussion because Kareem and Russell and West and The Big O say they do, not because fans say they do. LeBron may never earn that.

while I value many of the great's opinions, I don't look at their opinions as "the way". I do agree, its a combination of things. If LeBron continues his ridiculous level of efficiency, and wins multiple rings, I don't need an ex ballplayer to verify that he is great.
And what you will see is, players who enter the league in 3-4 years from now, will be saying LeBron is the best. You get many guys who are young in the league who still claim Kobe is better, and that is because they grew up watching him in his prime, and it distorts their view a bit. This same thing will happen in a few years as the LeBron fans enter the league. If this makes sense...
And then you have your "peers" support.

DeShaun Brown
08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
In my opinion, he only has to win one ring ... by himself. As long as he's a member of the Miami Wades, I mean the Miami Heat along with Wade and Bosh there will always be a stigma attached to anything he accomplishes, regardless of how many rings he win.

Giantwarrior
08-08-2010, 12:00 PM
who cares.

if lebron has 3 titles, Wade has 4.

Giantwarrior
08-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Lebron can never reach GOAT anymore.

ManRam
08-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Only a few. He's already the best player on the planet as far as I'm concerned. We're comparing him to guys who had great teams around him. He could have won with Cleveland, but demanding him to do so is demanding him to do something the other top 5 players never had to do. He's being held to a higher standard.

Rings aren't the be-all end-all. It's funny that they're all that people use to determine legacy. Like saying "Wade will have 4 and LeBron will have 3". Who cares? LeBron was always better than Wade. He'll go down as being better.

BigBlueCrew
08-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Best answer by far

RedRicanoBx
08-08-2010, 03:51 PM
2 if they are lucky but i doubt it :)

Sly Guy
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM

this.

Hugbees
08-08-2010, 04:15 PM
he won't be
Nice move not including that in the poll btw.