PDA

View Full Version : Delgado an option for 2011?

The_Jet11
08-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Just spit-balling here, but with the trade of Wallace and present uncertainty of the 1B position heading into 2011, why not take a flier on King Carlos!

Obviously we can't expect him to be the player he once was, but if we're rebuilding and don't have incumbent or top prospect ready to play everyday, go for it! He and Lind could split time between 1B/DH, or depending on how the line-up shakes out he could be a useful bat and mentor off the bench. I have read that his leadership skills are invaluable, and he'd certainly do wonders with some of the jays young hitters.

I'd love to see Carlos retire a Jay, and get a chance to go for 500 HRs.

What's the worst that could happen?

BlueJayCarter
08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
It would be nice for King Carlos to retire a jay and go for 500. He has been out an intire season so he wouldn't be asking for astronomical numbers like Crawford. A veteran presence to mentor Lind and play DH for a couple of games might be good.

I would not say no to the move but i think Carlos is unfortunately done in the MLB.

wamco
08-06-2010, 11:45 PM
if we aren't going to try for the playoffs, sure why not.

nithanyo
08-07-2010, 03:16 AM
Bring a few fans out. Sure why not.

IS it too much to call him a future hall of famer??

scaramantula
08-07-2010, 07:42 AM
i'd rather go after prince fielder in the offseason

boilerguy2412
08-07-2010, 08:12 AM
i wouldn't mind it, he'd be a cheap option but it all depends what AA does durning the off season. I don't see this being another quite offseason for us.

wamco
08-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Fielder isn't a free agent

ILDD
08-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Isn't Lind a far, far better option at 1B?

I don't think play-offs are achievable next year so why not use it as a development year for him? Maybe worth signing him for a DH option but I'd like to see Encarnacion given a chance to play there.

Next year I see Snider, Bautista, Lewis, Lind & Encarnacion rotating through LF, RF, 3B, 1B and DH all season. Why sign Delgado and have them all battling for playing time all season?

I'd rather spend the Delgado money on signing draft picks of IFA's.

wamco
08-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't think the jays are going to go to arby with EE. I think he'll be released and MAYBE tried to resigned at a lower rate. Whether AA wants him here, or he wants to continue here is quite unknown at this point. I think he basically is in the beginning of a 2 month save-your-job or save-your-career trial.

The one thing we do know is that he isn't a 3bman.

StealingSigns
08-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Delgado just signed with the Red Sox this afternoon.

Source: Carlos Delgado agrees to minor-league deal with #RedSox. Must be in majors by Sept. 1 or he can become free agent. #WhiteSox #MLB

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/20563350296

wamco
08-07-2010, 02:11 PM
here's to hoping he gets a ring

Big Hurt
08-07-2010, 02:17 PM
here's to hoping he gets a ring

Not me,
I still harbour a grudge when he refused to be traded from the jays and then left the next season as a FA.

If he can still hit I would not mind him as a DH and an emergency 1B. he was horrible at 1B even in his prime.

wamco
08-07-2010, 02:57 PM
ya, in an era where it is "so hard to get a free agent to come here", it was incredibly infuriating to see him not wanting to leave

Asham
08-07-2010, 03:41 PM
No need for Delgado, we have superstar in the making Mike Jacobs.

ah nuts
08-07-2010, 04:41 PM
boston signed him.

serratedmuffin
08-07-2010, 05:02 PM
We have enough DH/1B type of players on our roster. He wont help us win games and he didn't exactly leave on good terms either.

wamco
08-07-2010, 05:21 PM
ya, that was much more carlos fault than the stupid jp offer

The_Jet11
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Who exactly on our current roster is a 1B/DH type? Lind and technically Overbay, but he's gone.

And who exactly is close to making an impact in the MLB next season in our minor league system that is a 1B/DH type......mike Jacobs? please.

truth be told, we DO NOT have many 1B/DH types on the roster, unless you afe considering snider (who is not really 1B material and is ervicable enough to remain in the OF)

I can almost guarantee that the Jays will bring in a 1B/DH type of player in the off-season, so why not take a crack at Carlos. He's obviously hungry to play.

Sorry muffin, I simply can not agree with the idea that we actually have depth at 1B at heading into 2011 without the acquisition of another player.

BlueJayFanDan
08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Snider may be better off at 1st or DH as well.

I love Carlos but he is old and not what he once was. Not worth it.

serratedmuffin
08-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I was thinking of Snider and Lind. Both young and under team control. I was also thinking that with all our catching prospects we may have to move one to 1B to save on the knees or if they can't pan out with the defensive side (possibly JPA). I dont see how a rebuilding team moving forwards gains from bringing a 38 yr old who has nothing left in the tank. This screams frank thomas 2.0 to me.

wamco
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
except he would get a one year small incentive laiden contract not a 2 year contract with a vesting option for the 3rd based on ab's.

serratedmuffin
08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Missing the point, I wasn't comparing their contracts as much as comparing their uselessness. I'm thinking we're sticking Lind at first full time next year with a right handed bat to occasionally platoon. I respect your opinion but I dont think Delgado has a spot on this team moving forward.

GrumpyOldMan
08-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I believe Carlos just signed a minor league deal for the rest of the season with Boston. I'm anxious to see how he looks. I would love to at least see him retire a Jay.

wamco
08-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Missing the point, I wasn't comparing their contracts as much as comparing their uselessness. I'm thinking we're sticking Lind at first full time next year with a right handed bat to occasionally platoon. I respect your opinion but I dont think Delgado has a spot on this team moving forward.

Frank Thomas was very good his first season, over 850 ops. I wasn't pushing for delgado much really, just if the option was him or a scrub, I'd take the King.