PDA

View Full Version : So someone explain to me...

Right Round
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Why Haywood gets 9 million a year for six years while Shaq gets the minimum? I know Shaq can cause problems. But their stats last year were about equal, and Shaq has much more of a presence. Haywood is younger, but its not like he has any room for growth. He is in his prime now and it is not too much better than mediocre.

This isn't meant to be a debate of who is better, but more of questioning whether the difference in production is worth the 55 million commitment versus the 3 million commitment.

SA5195
08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Haywood is 30, and Shaq is 38. And stats don't mean everything.

uptownfan
08-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I think part of the reason is because at this point in his career, Shaq has so much money that he really doesn't care about how much he's making. He would rather just help out the Celtics by signing a smaller contract so they have more cap space to make other potential moves, I guess.

WeBallin
08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I think you've jus answered it yourself, No the Celling may not be that high but with a 36+ yr old Shaq the celling is even smaller then that of haywood, at this point shaq is no more then a abvoe avg role player....His time is over what shaq should have done was stick with one of those teams he won a chip with an retired as a hero now he will be a hasbeen due to him playin well after his prime

nanablvd
08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Why Haywood gets 9 million a year for six years while Shaq gets the minimum? I know Shaq can cause problems. But their stats last year were about equal, and Shaq has much more of a presence. Haywood is younger, but its not like he has any room for growth. He is in his prime now and it is not too much better than mediocre.

Contracts are NEVER related to statistics. Contracts are given based on demand and willingness to pay.

DCSportsIsPain
08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Haywood actually plays Shaq very well ... and $9MM isn't much for a starting center who plays a lot of minutes, produces a double double frequently, and plays defense.

Hellcrooner
08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
haywood will be a BAD contract once he is 33 or 34 but for now is getting payed what is usual for starting centers.

Shaq shoudl be already in florida, and no i dont meen playing wiht the cheat, i mean s in retired

Russell_Roberts
08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
haywood is more healthier and quicker than shaq

LivinLakers
08-06-2010, 05:18 PM
It is because Shaq is a liability on defense at this stage (even though he was never a great defender). Shaq has also turned into a pretty poor rebounder as well.

GSW Hoops
08-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Shaq probably could have earned more money if he wasn't so selective about the team he wants to play for.

He probably could have gone to a small-market team and earned 4 or 5 million, but at this stage in his career he wants to win.

junion
08-06-2010, 05:47 PM
this year's free agencies and contracts don't have anything to do with anything.. that's why joe johnson gets ~$119 mil, and ~$85 mil..

plus stats don't really play that big of a role. you might need a center and you'd pay him more than a point guard who is more talented, but you are already crowded in that position.

mikealike305
08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Hurricane H
08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Championship or money.