PDA

View Full Version : Knicks hire Isiah as a consultant, will still coach FIU

Highlight
08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
The Knicks are on the verge of hiring Isiah Thomas as a part-time consultant, but he will keep his job at Florida International.
Owner Jim Dolan is said to still be a huge fan of Isiah's, and this will earn him some extra cash on the side. No one has ever disputed Isiah's ability to evaluate college talent, but why Dolan would want him to have any decision-making capacity with the team is simply baffling.

http://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/20483480133

:faint:

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 01:24 PM
why would you even want that man near that franchise?

lakers4sho
08-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Round 2 of mediocrity, here we go.

td0tsfinest
08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Makes perfect sense to me.

Bellz
08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
As a Knick fan as long has it is only to help recruit top players or for him just to draft , one thing most people will say he is good to great in. But not in any other shape or form please dolon not again!!!!!

Jays Claw
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Seems like they didn't learn the first time. :facepalm:

mikealike305
08-06-2010, 01:29 PM
i think this is great move!!

Beltrans Mole
08-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Why? Just why? Knicks fans should be allowed to switch their loyalties if this is the case....unbelievable.

scutch11
08-06-2010, 01:31 PM
i cant believe it :cry:

Rocco007
08-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Somebody loves them some Isiah Thomas.... :facepalm:

scutch11
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
if he is just scouting talent than its fine, guy is a great talent evaluator as long as hes not making decisions....i just dont see him being only a talent evaluator and thats why this is terrible

CostanzaNumba0
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
This is all pomp and circumstance, he will have no serious role

beasted86
08-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I thought he already had that job since them buying out his contract? I thought I read about him helping them out the past 2 summers

Is he just getting paid for it again?

dnewguy
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I think Isiah worked with what he got......you can't blame players for not wanting to play in a city where almost half their cheques go to taxes.

29$JerZ
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
He helped our FA plans and is only going to be a consultant.

Honestly people are going to blow this up for no reason. If it was a GM or backup GM job then I understand, but its a job to help player development and scouting with NY needs help with.

John Walls Era
08-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Jim Dolan is simply baffling. I'm a huge fan of Isiah's but I really don't get this move. Why not just make him a scout? Why give him a high priority job to help him get more cash on the side?

BOSTON617
08-06-2010, 01:44 PM
and there goes the knick playoff hopes :facepalm:

Carey
08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
He went from ruining a team, beefing with Magic to now having 2 jobs lol. Seriously tho Isiah was good as a coach, and i think he's a decent talent evaluator, he just cant be put in the head seat, not a bad hire.

BaustinSali08
08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't think he deserves a second chance with the team at all to be honest.

GodsSon
08-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Bring back Starbury and you're set

Bellz
08-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Jim Dolan is simply baffling. I'm a huge fan of Isiah's but I really don't get this move. Why not just make him a scout? Why give him a high priority job to help him get more cash on the side?

But can he be an NBA scout and still a college coach.... That just sounds just about the same has an agent talk to a player to me like he could influence a player by telling them during a game or something "Hey if you live I KNOW for a fact the knicks will take you."?

fadedmario
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm a Pistons fan. You won't here me cut down Isiah Thomas on here. Sorry, I just can't. He was like a god to me growing up (I'm 30). Hopefully he does better if this happens.

gwrighter
08-06-2010, 02:05 PM
again!?......:facepalm:

DMasta718
08-06-2010, 02:05 PM
As long as he's a talent evaluator/consultant, I'm fine with the move.

Jemikz9Clutch
08-06-2010, 02:09 PM
and there goes the knick playoff hopes :facepalm:

:laugh2:

gwrighter
08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
i've been waiting for a reason to post this article and im happy to share it with you guys now.

NBADraft.net recently was able to get a hold of a few transcripts of conversations made by NBA General Managers before they made some fateful draft choices.

Summer 2003 Ė Detroit

Joe Dumars is sitting in his office and watching game tape from the 1989 Finals.

Darko Milicic
*Phone rings*

Joe Dumars: Hello?

Isiah Thomas: Joe! Howís it going? Itís Zeke.

JD: Oh hey Zeke. Itís just watching old championship footage. Whatís up?

IT: Not much. Iím still kind of in the post Pacers firing funk, but Iím meeting with Knicks owner James Dolan today to see if I might be able to find a job with the team. What are you up to?

JD: Thatís great man. Iím just trying to figure out who to use this #2 pick on. I figure if I can hit on it than weíve got a dynasty in the making here. I really like our core guys and the East is weak.

IT: Joe, let me give you a word of advice. Iíve been watching all the prospects play and Iíve got one word for you Ė Darko.

JD: Darko Milicic? YeahÖheís one of the guys we have been looking at, but Iím not sure if heís the right fit.

IT: Thatís outrageous. Heís a beast. Have you heard of a little guy named Dirk Nowitzki? Think of him times a thousand million percent better. I mean, who are you considering instead?

JD: Well Carmelo Anthony is my current first choice?

IT: Melo?

Read the rest of the article here (http://www.nbadraft.net/eavesdropping-draft-history)

fadedmario
08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
i've been waiting for a reason to post this article and im happy to share it with you guys now.

Read the rest of the article here (http://www.nbadraft.net/eavesdropping-draft-history)

That some funny ****.

Jemikz9Clutch

lmao:laugh: seriously? darko=dirk 2.0? that whole eavesdropping is one hilarious news.

NYtilIdie
I was honored to have been asked to help during the recent free-agent recruiting process, and believe that this new role takes full advantage of my skill set as an evaluator of basketball talent-Isiah Thomas on being hired

That right there should let you guys now that he is nothing more then an NBA scout. No big deal he makes no descisions.

knicks09
08-06-2010, 02:25 PM

I love your sig man, best hip hop producer of all time

Tony_Starks
08-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Thats not a bad move for them. As far having an eye for talent, Isiah is one of the best. His draft record speaks for itself. Now his managing of talent is what was horrible but as far as pure scouting goes the man knows what he's doing.

Looking at the slugs the Knicks have drafted the past few years they better take all the help they can get!

Da Knicks
08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
:burn:To help scouting is perfect anything else and someone needs to SLAP James Dolan.:D

NYtilIdie
08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Hell he's better then anyone we have now on our scout team. I mean c'mon son, Jordan Hill over Brandon Jennings?

I swear people in the Knicks forum were defending Jordan Hill like their life depended on it.

king4day
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I like this move. People need to realize that this isn't to make him a GM again.
He's an amazing talent recruiter and despite what some may think, players like him.
This is two folded as it'll also help lure some people here.

bkmikeyy
08-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Isaiah made his share of mistakes as a GM trying to fix the Knicks on the fly. A lot of his moves at the time seemed like good ones btw,it just didn't work out and hindsight is 20/20. All I know is guys like Paul idolize him and he had a positive effect on free agency for us this summer. He is also a solid drafter and would have never picked Jordan Hill. I would never let him be GM again, but in a minor and controlled role I think he can bring a lot of positive things to the table.

Tony_Starks
08-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Hell he's better then anyone we have now on our scout team. I mean c'mon son, Jordan Hill over Brandon Jennings?

I swear people in the Knicks forum were defending Jordan Hill like their life depended on it.

Believe it or not some people are STILL defending that pick! Its like wow how could you not see that was a screw up of epic proportions?

gwrighter
08-06-2010, 02:51 PM
lmao:laugh: seriously? darko=dirk 2.0? that whole eavesdropping is one hilarious news.

the fact that thomas swayed dumars away from melo to darko speaks volumes about his knack for scouting. LOL

97NYer
08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

IversonIsKrazy
08-06-2010, 03:07 PM
If he's only going to be a "CONSULTANT" It's fine I guess, but if he gets promoted, I am never going to stop laughing

Kashmir13579
08-06-2010, 03:12 PM

say what you will, the dude knows talent. he rarely/never misses when it comes to drafting. i know for sure we wouldn't have drafted hill if isiah was behind the wheel. i actually like this. its not like he's gonna be taking on contracts he's basically just going to be a college scout. GREAT NEWS!!!:clap:

Slimsim
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
He helped our FA plans and is only going to be a consultant.

Honestly people are going to blow this up for no reason. If it was a GM or backup GM job then I understand, but its a job to help player development and scouting with NY needs help with.

Yup.

utl768
08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
lol

NYYCowboys
08-06-2010, 03:22 PM
As long as he's just a consultant, and has no decision making privileges whatsoever I'm fine with it because apparently players from this generation really like him, and he had good drafts so he can definitely spot young talent.

gwrighter
08-06-2010, 03:32 PM
say what you will, the dude knows talent. he rarely/never misses when it comes to drafting. i know for sure we wouldn't have drafted hill if isiah was behind the wheel. i actually like this. its not like he's gonna be taking on contracts he's basically just going to be a college scout. GREAT NEWS!!!:clap:

see post #26

SouthSideRookie
08-06-2010, 04:20 PM

Match made in heaven, go figure ! :facepalm:

heathonater
08-06-2010, 04:47 PM
it seems like the knicks would want to distance themselves from the disasterous thomas era of knicks basketball, but i guess im wrong.

Ray_R
08-06-2010, 04:54 PM
:laugh2:

knickfan33
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo oo

Kashmir13579
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
see post #26

even if that is true, these are the players he's drafted for the knicks, channing frye with #7 pick, nate robinson at #17, david lee at #30!, wilson chandler (not sure what pick he was i think in the 20s) and trevor ariza late in the second round, 43rd pick i think (this maybe his most impressive) thats an established resume of success (drafting) while he was in new york. i personally think the reason detroit drafted darko is because they thought tayshon prince was the right fit; not melo. and besides, detroit won the championship that year and melo has yet to win one. so actually detroit has had more success since the 03 draft than melo has. maybe not drafting melo was a blessing in disguise. would melo have blocked reggies lay-up? maybe, maybe not....... p.s anyone who hasn't seen tayshon block reggie in the 04 conference finals.... thats what youtube is for.

Edit: here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDgg0iWFUpU&feature=related

SA5195
Um, Knicks forum?

Hellcrooner
Why not?

he is conseling isnt it?

Ok heres how it works.

You want to do a trade=' =? you ask thomas, and do exactly oposite of what it says.

THen you let him make the draft piucks he is good at that

GSW Hoops
08-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't believe the Knicks brought him back in any capacity. I wouldn't even let him sell hot dogs in MSG if I were the Knicks' owner.

BAMF
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't believe the Knicks brought him back in any capacity. I wouldn't even let him sell hot dogs in MSG if I were the Knicks' owner.

This! But at least let him clean the toilets after the games.

Kashmir13579
08-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Why not?

he is conseling isnt it?

Ok heres how it works.

You want to do a trade=' =? you ask thomas, and do exactly oposite of what it says.

THen you let him make the draft piucks he is good at that

yes, exactly.

John Walls Era
08-06-2010, 06:38 PM

They still won a championship... not Darko's fault he got 0 playing time.

Khalifa21
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
As long as he doesn't have a big role, then no harm done.

ManRam
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
He has been hired as a consultant, and is even still going to coach FIU.

This really isn't an important job he's got.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5442858

arkanian215
08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
He'll help them draft scout. He has a pretty good eye.

blastmasta26
08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
As long as he doesn't have a big role, then no harm done.
Pretty much.

Lakerfan8032
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM
The only way I see this working is if they ask Isiah his opinion on whatever and after he gives it, the team does the exact opposite.

C-ross12
08-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Thomas must have walked in on Dolan doing some bondage or something.

boriquaabe
08-06-2010, 11:02 PM
This in embarrassing and disturbing. Hopefully it's just a charity check. It also proves that New York franchises and the NY media and NY fans( because I've seen alot of my fellow Knicks fans support,Tolerate and defend this guy) live enitre isolated in a vaccum of arrogance.

bleedprple&gold
08-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Isiah can't do one job well. How is he going to do two??

fadedmario
08-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Thomas must have walked in on Dolan doing some bondage or something.

lol. post of the day

MSG34
08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
A lot of players in the NBA don't look at Isiah as the failing executive but as a star PG. He does have some pull in recruiting and I think he does have an eye for talent. I'm not defending him in any way but Scott Layden was still far worse than Isiah in my book. People don't realize the roster that Isiah took over was even worse than when he left.

RDBK514
08-07-2010, 01:14 AM
A lot of players in the NBA don't look at Isiah as the failing executive but as a star PG. He does have some pull in recruiting and I think he does have an eye for talent. I'm not defending him in any way but Scott Layden was still far worse than Isiah in my book. People don't realize the roster that Isiah took over was even worse than when he left.

This.

knicksfan23
08-07-2010, 01:50 AM
renaldo balman......thats all i have to say. why would you want this man to help draft players?

Tqafg96
08-07-2010, 02:11 AM
good news

GoatMilk
08-07-2010, 02:17 AM
how can he work with NCAA players and an NBA team?
this cant be legal

this is a form of tampering isnt it?

i thought NBA employees couldnt talk directly to NCAA players?
there may not be anyone from FIU who has NBA potential, i dont know, but they're still in the NCAA and have a shot

xbrackattackx
08-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Man Knicks are getting it together now, I hope Isaiah doesn't slaughter that franchise again.

Brooklyn Mets
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
:facepalm:

he is basically going to be doing the same exact thing he does now only he will be getting paid for doing it.. he was involved with recruting free agents to the Knicks all off-season..

JasonJohnHorn
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I dont know why any basketball organization on the planet would want to have anything to do with this guy, outside of a highschool or gradeschool basketball team. He has been nothing but a cancer in every situation he's been in since he retired as a player.

Brooklyn Mets
08-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I dont know why any basketball organization on the planet would want to have anything to do with this guy, outside of a highschool or gradeschool basketball team. He has been nothing but a cancer in every situation he's been in since he retired as a player.

why would you want this guy near children haha

Kakaroach
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
renaldo balman......thats all i have to say. why would you want this man to help draft players? He also drafted David Lee, Trevor Ariza, Wilson Chandler, and many other very good players today late in the draft. He is a good scout for drafting, and hopefully thats all the Knicks will use him as.

MSG34
08-08-2010, 01:30 AM
He also drafted David Lee, Trevor Ariza, Wilson Chandler, and many other very good players today late in the draft. He is a good scout for drafting, and hopefully thats all the Knicks will use him as.

And I believe he highly recommended the knicks selected Brandon Jennings in last years draft.

Evolution23
08-08-2010, 07:59 AM
renaldo balman......thats all i have to say. why would you want this man to help draft players?

David Lee, Wilson CHandler, Trevor Areza, Gallo, Channing Frye.. As terrible as he was at coaching and as a GM, hes still a very good scouter and drafter.

Evolution23
08-08-2010, 08:00 AM
And I believe he highly recommended the knicks selected Brandon Jennings in last years draft.

Seriously his **** ups overlook anything positive he did in the draft. I sound like a homer but its true!

Apophis
08-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Dolan is the worst owner...It is said Isiah and Dolan did this secretly... and Walsh is pissed..

Apophis
08-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Knicks president Donnie Walsh is livid that Isiah Thomas is back in the organization and feels his standing with the franchise could be compromised by owner James Dolan's decision to rehire Thomas, The Post has learned.

According to a Knicks source, Walsh told Thomas in a face-to-face meeting two weeks ago he did not want him working for the organization. Dolan and Thomas had agreed that Thomas could fill the team's general manager vacancy if Walsh was OK with it.

When Walsh told Thomas he objected, Thomas went back to Dolan, who still has a love affair with the Hall of Famer and seemingly is on a mission to rehab Thomas' image.

AGAINST HIS WILL: Donnie Walsh did not want Isiah Thomas (above during less contentious days as Pacers co-workers) re-hired by the Knicks, The Post has learned, but Thomas and owner James Dolan went behind his back to concoct a consultant role, which was decried on yesterday's Post back page.

Without Walsh's knowledge, Dolan and Thomas hatched a scheme in which Thomas could become a part-time consultant while remaining the coach at Florida International. (The NBA is reviewing whether the arrangement violates NBA rules on scouting procedures.)

Walsh, who had thought the Isiah issue was dead, was not debriefed until after the hiring was agreed upon, and he reluctantly put his name on a joint statement with Dolan. It was only recently that Walsh found out Thomas had been in Dolan's ear for months, offering free advice.

Some of Dolan's top advisors, including Garden president Hank Ratner, tried to talk Dolan out of naming Thomas as a consultant because of the public-relations backlash.

"Donnie doesn't want him there, nobody wants him there but Dolan," the team source said. "Isiah seems to have Jim wrapped around his finger."

Walsh was supposed to have full control of basketball operations when he was hired in 2008, but this incident shows that is not entirely true. Walsh also has tried to hire former Pacers Mel Daniels and Chris Mullin for front-office roles, but has been denied.

The Post reported 2Ĺ weeks ago that Dolan met with Thomas at the Garden's offices at 2 Penn Plaza for hours. Walsh, at the time, said he was unaware of the meeting. In a Post interview Friday, Walsh admitted he was not involved in negotiations about Thomas' new consulting position.

Friday's announcement, predictably, has Knicks fans seething, putting a damper on what had been a decent summer, considering LeBron James' snub. The Knicks added five-time All-Star Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton and Anthony Randolph with a chance of tacking on Carmelo Anthony in 2011.

Walsh is in Indiana with his 12 grandchildren and did not return phone calls yesterday.

Walsh said Friday he is not hiring a GM, but Thomas' ultimate goal is to grab that position on the way to taking charge of basketball operations once again. Walsh has one guaranteed year left on his contract, but by making this move Dolan has usurped Walsh's authority.

If the NBA voids the Thomas contract, Dolan would have no choice but abide by Walsh's wishes or fire Walsh, who has had health issues this summer, injuring his hip and undergoing neck surgery that put him in a wheelchair.

Last month, The Post's Peter Vecsey reported Walsh possibly would retire this summer. Walsh repeatedly has denied he has any intention of retiring. Thomas has four years left on his FIU contract, but he is not expected to stay that long. Thomas perhaps realizes the Miami school will be even more overshadowed in the coming years with the advent of the Heat's Dream Team. Thomas was already lobbying for a GM job in comments made Friday to ESPN.com.

As The Post reported yesterday, Thomas boasted to a confidant two summers ago he would one day run the Knicks again and just needed time to repair his image.

During the press conference to introduce Stoudemire, Walsh thanked Thomas for his help in the recruiting process. But some in the organization believe Thomas had absolutely no influence on Stoudemire's decision. The Knicks' spin is Thomas can help them in the 2011 and 2012 free agency to recruit Anthony and Chris Paul, the star Hornets point guard who considers Thomas one of his idols.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/walsh_your_back_AgooDKBkBqzS3vtJDZu7VP

I dont understand how can any Knicks fan want Zeke back...

Oakley's Fist
08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Its sad that such a great franchise has a group of retards running it.

RedRicanoBx
08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I do not like thomas :(

fadedmario
08-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Good luck Isiah.

KnicksorBust
08-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Unorganized thoughts:

This is a horrible decision.
This is an embarassing decision.
How can you do that to Walsh? It totally disrespects his authority.
How can a college coach work for a pro team?
If Coach K was hired as a consultant for the Miami Heat people would be FLIPPING OUT about tampering but instead people are focusing on the wrong issue here.

The Raven
08-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Why would anyone want this man near their team. He's a disaster