PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan; Should He Sign Some Where Else When His Contract Expires?

Kobe5RingKing
08-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Tim Duncan Clock is Ticking. No Way his going to ever win again as a Spur.

gwrighter
08-05-2010, 11:20 PM
he's done so many good things with the spurs though.

XxigglesphanxX
08-05-2010, 11:24 PM
guys like duncan should stay, a perfect example will be dwyane wade who will stay with miami his entire career :D

dodie53
08-05-2010, 11:25 PM
he ain't leaving

shep33
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
No way that guy leaves... why would he? Rings, money, MVPs, got em all. I doubt he leaves the Spurs, who are still a pretty decent team.

_KB24_
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
No, he's a class act. He will be a Spur till the very end. He ain't no ring-chaser.

dnewguy
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
He'll join the Heat.

lakers4sho
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
He should retire.

SANDBURG23
08-05-2010, 11:31 PM
It depends if the spurs are contenders or not. If they a top 8 team then no stay there if not then go else where. No one would hold it againsy him if it went that way, unless he choose Miami for the Min.

bahama0811
08-05-2010, 11:32 PM
He won't leave the Spurs.

SA5195
08-05-2010, 11:34 PM
He's loyal, and a class act.

He's gonna be a Spur till the end.

Sixerlover
08-05-2010, 11:34 PM
If there is one player that shouldn't ever leave his city, it's Tim Duncan.

BrotherRedz
08-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Realistically

He should play for $$$$$$, who ever offers him the most

He's already the greatest power forward "WITH RINGS"

Hellcrooner
08-05-2010, 11:38 PM
No, he has 4 rings so he does not need to go somewhere else to win rings a la Barkley, Malone, lebron.........SOrry i coudlnt resisit it.

And anyway i dont know if people ralize with parker sexpiring if tim deceided to take a REAL paycut ( not a bs 1 million a year play cut ) but a REALL one like signing for 3 million a year they coudl chase some GOOD FA to complete the roster.

Also who says he does not win it this year ? they werhe lakcing another good big man the se last few years.

Well gss what they added Tiago Splitter.

Watch out!!!!!!!!

NYKnickFanatic
08-05-2010, 11:40 PM
He will be a Spur for life.

dodgerlakerguy
08-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Go to the Lakers and win another 2.

dhopisthename
08-05-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't see him leaving

krest213
08-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Spurs 4 life just like me.

Joshtd1
08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I think he will retire at the end of his contract. His knee's arent getting any better, and hell be 36 I believe. Has nothing else to really play for. I would hate to see Duncan like Shaq, getting worse each year, bouncing around from team to team.

29$JerZ
08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Timmy is a Spur, he isn't Elton Brand

tredigs
08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
No need to leave when you already have 4 rings and are still part of a strong team and play under a fantastic coach/organization. He'll sign another 3 year deal or just retire.

But yes Laker fans, continue to flash your insecurities and go on with the underhanded digs at LBJ. We know you long for it.

Kobe5RingKing
08-06-2010, 12:07 AM
No need to leave when you already have 4 rings and are still part of a strong team and play under a fantastic coach/organization. He'll sign another 3 year deal or just retire.

But yes Laker fans, continue to flash your insecurities and go on with the underhanded digs at LBJ. We know you long for it.

lol gal, get over it

Kobe5RingKing
08-06-2010, 12:09 AM
No I dont want Tim 2 LA.... It will be nice 4 him to go 2 Boston Celts

tredigs
08-06-2010, 12:09 AM
lol gal, get over it

Haha Gal? Kid, you can't even put together a coherent thought without bending over for Kobe - scram.

bosoxlover12
08-06-2010, 12:10 AM
If he leaves in one year, he'll go to Miami for the rings

If its a few years later, he'll join the Celtics and have the 1st team with 3 bigs over 38 years old lol

but honestly, he should stay in SAS

jackdawson
08-06-2010, 12:12 AM
He will be a spur for life for sure. Personally, I would welcome him in Miami. He is already the greatest PF in the league history and he might end up with 6/7 rings if he joins the Heat. He will be known as a top 5 player ever if that happens imo.

Enemey
08-06-2010, 12:16 AM
No he should retire as a Spur .

IversonIsKrazy
08-06-2010, 12:31 AM
The threads you've made today are awful. First Mavs magically getting Melo and CP, now abt Duncan leaving SA. He has a contract option this summer, which I doubt he opts out of, with the contract actually expiring in 2012, which is when I believe he will retire, and take Pop with him.

REALLYYYYY?
08-06-2010, 12:39 AM
No, he's a class act. He will be a Spur till the very end. He ain't no ring-chaser.

lol, was lebron talking to chris paul in your sig?

Jays Claw
08-06-2010, 12:41 AM
There is no need for Tim Duncan to leave the Spurs. He's already got four championships, two MVP awards, three finals MVP awards and a one way ticket to the NBA hall of fame.

nanablvd
08-06-2010, 12:44 AM
depends on the direction the Spurs are heading. If they think they will not be financially committed in bringing in star pieces that can accomodate Duncan's downturn and make the team competitive, they should let Duncan go IF he thinks hopping on a title contender is his wish. Duncan has won 4 rings already so it's a long shot that he wants to somewhere else just for a ring.

Sox72
08-06-2010, 12:46 AM
No way. He's the anti-LeBron. A class act.

JustinJDW
08-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Timmy is probably gonna retire in 2012 after his contract ends. Pop will probably leave with him. It's gonna be the end of an Era and Dynasty.

sixer04fan
08-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Who voted leave SA? Seriously? That's a shame. He's won enough championships to satisfy himself I'm sure. I hope he never leaves.

rainbowcow1
08-06-2010, 01:39 AM
he'll retire with the spurs for sure

MacFitz92
08-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I don't think Tim Duncan will ever play for another team.

John Walls Era
08-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Of course he should stay... his legacy is with the Spurs

titanchased
08-06-2010, 01:53 AM
He's got his rings. He is the Spurs. No way he leaves.

SANDBURG23
08-06-2010, 01:53 AM
He should sign w the Bulls for the MLE and play Center.

bholly
08-06-2010, 01:54 AM
If there is one player in the NBA who is the least likely to ever leave his team it's TD, imo. I just don't see it ever happening. He'll probably end up coaching there, as well.

GSW 2013 CHAMPS
08-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Unlike Queen James, real players don't leave the team that made them. Timmy ain't goin nowhere.

bholly
08-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Unlike Queen James, real players don't leave the team that made them. Timmy ain't goin nowhere.

Oh, hey, good job coming up with a joke that was dumb when Shaq used it almost 10 years ago.
Not to mention every kid who's ever been on a playground.

knickfan4life
08-06-2010, 02:20 AM
hes a spur, always was always will be... a class act, no wayyyy he chases money or a ring, he EARNED his own when we were watching primetime Duncan a few years back. he wont chase anything, he'll be a spur for SURE

Rangerchick
08-06-2010, 02:35 AM
I think Duncan will stay and enjoy playing alongside his eventual successor at C Tiago Splitter. Throw in Blair and that's going to be a nice C-PF group for the next few years

numba1CHANGsta
08-06-2010, 03:56 AM
He should retire a Spur, not many players now a days play their entire career with one franchise, but he can and should, same goes for Kobe, Dirk, Pierce, and Yao

What?
08-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Honestly few things sound as depressing as Duncan turning into Shaq 2.0 I hope that when his contract expires he just retires as one of the all time greats.

BkOriginalOne
08-06-2010, 04:20 AM
I cant see him playing into a shell of his old self.

I say he retires with grace by 2013.

JayW_1023
08-06-2010, 05:07 AM
He'll be an effective player till the day he retires. And he won't leave San Antonio.

knicksfan23
08-06-2010, 05:25 AM
guys like duncan should stay, a perfect example will be dwyane wade who will stay with miami his entire career :D

dude your just a front runner fakeass heat fan stfu

kikeyanez
08-06-2010, 05:44 AM
duncan should be traded to the lakers for bydum picture timmy,pau an kobe ay....

NYKalltheway
08-06-2010, 06:20 AM
I think he should stay, but maybe he could sign a 2 year deal with an Eastern Conference side just to experience something different. Many great players have played for more than 1 team, even legends/HOF like Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Scottie Pippen, Charles Barkley, Walt Frazier...
But there's of course David Robinson his mentor, Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird etc type of players as well. I think he fits this category most, but I would love to see him change environment(conference) and join my team :D

I voted that he should stay btw

Khalifa21
08-06-2010, 07:45 AM
He ain't going nowhere.

Russell_Roberts
08-06-2010, 07:49 AM
spur for life.. no need in going anywhere.. his gas light is on

X12Celtics3
08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
He should finish the remainder of his career in San Antonio.

JasonJohnHorn
08-06-2010, 08:01 AM
He Should Honor His Contract and Sign else were

Do you seriously think Duncan is the type of player to look past loyalty in favour of ring chasing? Duncan has nothing to prove. He has four rings. He gets paid to play a game he loves, with a coach he respests, teammates he trusts and knows, a franchise that is loyal to him and a city that loves him as much as he loves it.

So he's supposed to sign with LA or Miami so he can retire with 5 rings instead of 4?

That siad: "No Way his going to ever win again as a Spur" is not a given. Duncan is a competitor. They have finally brought in Splittner and if he is as good as everybody thinks he is, then the Spurs will be in the thick of things this year. They beat a quality Mavs squad without much trouble in the playoffs, and though they got their @$$e$ handed to them by Phoenix, this is still a great club that can compete with the best in the league. They have three guys in their prime as well as former all-star in Jefferson who still has some game, a quality vet in McDysse coming off the bench, and two young guys in Hill and Blair who showed some great potential last year.

Just because they havent signed any washed up vets like Shaq, or J. O'Neal, or Big Z, or Juan Howard doesnt mean they dont have a core that can compete and a supporting cast that can keep up with opposing teams. They may not have the big names that some teams have, but when it comes to Big Z and Shaq, their names are better than their games. Both can contribute, but I'd rather be bringing in guys like Splittner and Blair.

The Spurs are contenders and Duncan will retire in the same jersey he's always worn, just like Bird, and Magic and Robinson.

JayW_1023
08-06-2010, 08:02 AM
With an age where young bigs are looking more up to Dwight Howards athleticism and lack of polish, Tim Duncans mastery of de fundamentals will earn him a few more productive years before he hangs 'em up.

The way the talent pool among big men has regressed the past decade is a joke.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 08:17 AM
No way. Tim Duncan belongs with the Spurs. They gave each other 4 rings, and helped revive that franchise. Duncan is far too classy to leave anyways

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 08:18 AM
With an age where young bigs are looking more up to Dwight Howards athleticism and lack of polish, Tim Duncans mastery of de fundamentals will earn him a few more productive years before he hangs 'em up.

The way the talent pool among big men has regressed the past decade is a joke.

you are so right.
And looking at Duncan's numbers, his advanced numbers, the dude puts up a straight line. He is the model of consistency. He could probably play another 10 years if his body let him

MikefromMars
08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Tim Duncan will always be a Spur. He has everything an NBA player could ever want right where he is at. If you have ever been to San Antonio you understand how much they love their team and Timmy. That city is one of the 10 biggest in the nation and they only have an NBA team. They LOVE Duncan and he loves the community.

Great guy, great team, great legacy... no need to fix what isn't broken.

The Miami Cheat
08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't think Tim Duncan will ever play for another team.

100% correct

MagicHero3
08-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Duncan is just as likely to leave the Spurs as Kobe is of leaving the Lakers.

I think thats about a 0% chance.

tdunk21
08-06-2010, 09:35 AM
he aint leaving ....i agree with most of them....he has proved enough and i personally think he is the greatest or if not one of the greatest PF in nba history....

twoearl
08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Not a chance. He is already easily the greatest Power forward of all time. He has a boatload of money and 4 Rings. What else does he need?

Kakaroach
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
He will stay with the Spurs unless they don't want him. And they want him, so I don't see him leaving.

mikantsass
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
What if Duncan signs a team friendly deal and the Spurs land Melo?

Kobe5RingKing
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Haha Gal? Kid, you can't even put together a coherent thought without bending over for Kobe - scram.

lol GAL dont even comment kid, You got that? -Stop Ridin hard

Jah king
08-06-2010, 11:49 AM

UNLIKE guys like shack, hes got class....he will stay and the spurs will improve

LA_Raiders
08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
He has done so much for the team, He wont leave, He is no shaq, LeBroom, Bosh, etc...

Da Knicks
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I like how mostly everyone is counting the spurs out when they just added Splitter. I wouldnt put it past them if they took the lakers out this year and Duncan retired with one more ring or if the Heat "lebron" got revenge on the spurs.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
how is LeBron even being brought up here? Their situations aren't even remotely close. Why is it that Laker fans, or even some mainstream fans, feel the need to bring up LeBron every possible opportunity, and bash him?

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
lol GAL dont even comment kid, You got that? -Stop Ridin hard

I haven't seen you make a point yet, in any of your posts.

cowboyz180
08-06-2010, 12:31 PM
no way he leaves. The spurs is his team!

Avenged
08-06-2010, 12:33 PM

I simply do not agree with this, but hey, that's just my opinion.

The Spurs are very capable of winning again if they can acquire a new piece or so, nothing is guaranteed for the Lakers or the Heat.

Da Knicks
08-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I simply do not agree with this, but hey, that's just my opinion.

The Spurs are very capable of winning again if they can acquire a new piece or so, nothing is guaranteed for the Lakers or the Heat.

exactly :clap: Every team is trying to get to the same place.

Kobe2324
08-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes he should leave if he wants to win another title, but he is to loyal to that franchise to do it, I expect him to sign a 3 or 4 year deal and finish his career as a Spur.

Lebromer
08-06-2010, 01:08 PM
He doesn't have many years left. He should retire there. He's done good with the Spurs

td0tsfinest
08-06-2010, 01:14 PM
The only reason, I don't see Duncan staying with the Spurs is if San Antonio pulls a "Dallas Stars" and decide they don't want to retain him but I don't see that happening.

Lakersfanla24
08-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Guys like TD are rare nowadays, his fundamentals are almost unrivaled in the game today. Like everyone has been saying hes got 4 rings 2 mvps and 3 finals mvps, his legacy as the greatest power forward to ever lace them up is cemented. He is a spur for life like KB will be a laker, and Pierce will be a celtic for life. None of them are ring chasers they are ring winners.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 02:14 PM
please stop referring to Duncan and Kobe as guys who aren't "Ring Chasers". They won a ring in their fkin first few years with their teams.

nuggetsyankees
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
he's gonna be a lifer

Lakersfanla24
08-06-2010, 02:21 PM
why?? neither of them has gone to another team chasing the rings they have won them with their original teams like Magic Bird Jordan ect.... So by your logic just because they won early in their careers they are ring chasers? GTFO with that bs man ever think its because they are that damn good?:eyebrow:

heattiltheend94
08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
He has a championship with Spurs, stay. If he didn't, I would say go somewhere else.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 02:41 PM
why?? neither of them has gone to another team chasing the rings they have won them with their original teams like Magic Bird Jordan ect.... So by your logic just because they won early in their careers they are ring chasers? GTFO with that bs man ever think its because they are that damn good?:eyebrow:

Duncan, Bird, and Magic won a ring in their rookie contract dude. Kobe was one year into his 2nd deal on a contending team. its not like these players suffered for years, and had no choice but to either leave, or potentially never win a ring.
How does this not make sense to you? You are talking about mulitple time winners as young players. There is no comparison in the least to LeBron. None. Nada.
Jordan, sort of similar, though he won in year 7, and there was substantial hope in year's 5&6. Pierce, great call on the loyalty. But be careful who you give credit to. Kobe himself DEMANDED a trade, but was then taken aback at what would be left after the other team was gutted getting him

Lakersfanla24
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Duncan, Bird, and Magic won a ring in their rookie contract dude. Kobe was one year into his 2nd deal on a contending team. its not like these players suffered for years, and had no choice but to either leave, or potentially never win a ring.
How does this not make sense to you? You are talking about mulitple time winners as young players. There is no comparison in the least to LeBron. None. Nada.
Jordan, sort of similar, though he won in year 7, and there was substantial hope in year's 5&6. Pierce, great call on the loyalty. But be careful who you give credit to. Kobe himself DEMANDED a trade, but was then taken aback at what would be left after the other team was gutted getting him

Doesnt matter winning is winning, thats what this league is about. I didnt mention lebron once in any of my posts im sick of hearing his name and reading about him. Maybe i took a dig self consciously at him but i didnt mean to. Yah kobe demanded a trade but honestly he was never going anywhere like you said the other team would have had to gut themselves. He lit a fire under management and bynums ***** that year and up until he went down to injury we were in first without gasol.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Doesnt matter winning is winning, thats what this league is about. I didnt mention lebron once in any of my posts im sick of hearing his name and reading about him. Maybe i took a dig self consciously at him but i didnt mean to. Yah kobe demanded a trade but honestly he was never going anywhere like you said the other team would have had to gut themselves. He lit a fire under management and bynums ***** that year and up until he went down to injury we were in first without gasol.

I just don't think you can define a player who walks into a well run, championship organization, that is always competitive, and wins multiple rings, as a loyal player who isn't a ring chaser. I think ring chasers are either players who don't win early, and leave their teams (yes, LJ is a ring chaser), or a guy like Shaq, who experienced it early, then just goes from contender to contender trying to get another.
Paul Pierce is a perfect example of the player you are talking about.
Kobe, Duncan, Bird, and Magic are terrible examples.
And you don't need to mention LJ. At this point, everyone in the world knows its a subconsious poke when loyalty and staying with one team is brought up.

Chronz
08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I wouldnt count the Spurs out yet, they got 1 last run in them. Oh wait then his contract expires huh, he should sign with Orlando like he shouldve in 2000.

29$JerZ
08-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Duncan doesn't have to leave SanAntonio to accomplish anything else. His career is pretty much set in the record books and he'll go down as one of the best to ever play (already is named that).

I see him staying with SanAntonio a couple of more years before calling it quits, he already has all the money and rings he'll need there so leaving is pointless.

Avenged
08-06-2010, 03:07 PM
please stop referring to Duncan and Kobe as guys who aren't "Ring Chasers". They won a ring in their fkin first few years with their teams.

Either way though, they're not ring chasers regardless. Yes, they were blessed with talent individually and talent among teammates but it doesn't change the fact that they aren't ring chasers.

Kobe though, there was a time when he was going to resort to "ring chasing" but he didn't leave, fortunately for us Laker fans. Although when you're in your prime, I really wouldn't consider it ring chasing. Guys whom are young have plenty of time to get a ring and what not. A player like Shaq would be considered a "ring chaser" and perhaps players like Iverson and T-Mac if they somehow manage to land with a contending team.

Someone like Lebron and Bosh aren't ring chasers in my book since they're both relatively young.

Of course, just my opinion.

Hawkeye15
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Either way though, they're not ring chasers regardless. Yes, they were blessed with talent individually and talent among teammates but it doesn't change the fact that they aren't ring chasers.

Kobe though, there was a time when he was going to resort to "ring chasing" but he didn't leave, fortunately for us Laker fans. Although when you're in your prime, I really wouldn't consider it ring chasing. Guys whom are young have plenty of time to get a ring and what not. A player like Shaq would be considered a "ring chaser" and perhaps players like Iverson and T-Mac if they somehow manage to land with a contending team.

Someone like Lebron and Bosh aren't ring chasers in my book since they're both relatively young.

Of course, just my opinion.

fair enough. I just get irked when people point to the loyalty of these players who won multiple times when young, and try and classify them as a different class then those who were given crap.
Typically, lottery picks go to ****** teams. Bird, Magic, Duncan, and Kobe did not. Here is where the issue rises. I don't think a player who stays for 7 years with a dysfunctional franchise that gives them no support and then leaves is not loyal.
But I am done discussing this. I agree with your outlook on it a bit more than others attempt to explain it. My view has be made known.

Hangtime
08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I think it just depends on where exactly the Spurs stand in contention for a title run when it expires. No one wants to be apart of a new rebuilding process in their mid thirties. It would be hard to see him in another uniform but there is no such thing as loyalty in professional sports and if he wants to join another team wouldn't really bother me. Timmy is still good enough to start somewhere or he could just accept a back up role. I don't want to see him bounce from team to team though like Shaq.

Statik1
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
He is a Spur for life. He has waaaayyyy to much class to stoop to being a ring chaser.

You can believe that.

tbuk100
08-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I think, unfortunately, the most likely scenario is that Duncan retires at the end of the season.

heathonater
08-06-2010, 04:42 PM
i think he will be a spur for life. one of the only few athletes today that would look very odd in another uniform because of how long he has been a spur.

Wilson
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
A single trade can change everything in the NBA (plus, I'm still not 100% counting the Spurs out), I don't think you can say that he's never going to win as a Spur again.

I'm sure every team in the NBA would love to have Timmy on their team, but I can't see him leaving San Antonio.

Raph12
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
TD may be one of, if not the most respected player in the league today, I doubt he leaves the Spurs at this point. Plus with 2 League MVPs, 3 Finals MVPs, 1 AS MVP and 4 rings, what does he have to leave for?

He's already done it all, greatest PF of all-time.

Hangtime
08-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Once I saw Jerry Rice and Micheal Jordan in different uniforms, I could see anyone else as well. He changes teams no big deal to me.

Lord Leoshes
08-07-2010, 07:14 PM
He'll join the Heat.

For the mid level exception, to start at C next to Bosh,
& Bron. :clap:

El Hombre#5
08-07-2010, 07:21 PM
TD, IMO, will retire a Spur. He has 3 titles already so it's not as if he's desperate for a title and he's with out a doubt the best player in San Antonio history.
Not to mention a first ballot HOFer.

SupeUnagi
08-07-2010, 08:33 PM
hes the best PF of all time, at least top 3

he should stay, but i wouldnt blame him if he left for another shot at a ring
thats why you play the game. you play to win, not to make friends and be "loyal"

hes still a top 15 player in the league no doubt