PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Vs. Jim Rome: BATTLE ROYAL

D Roses Bulls
08-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Jim Rome has made a career out of pissing off athletes, so it should come as no surprise that he helped himself to a large glass of haterade when discussing the career of Shaquille O’Neal. Rome said that the Shaqtus wasn’t as dedicated to the game as Kobe, and encouraged the Celtics not to sign the man behind Kazaam. Shaq certainly seemed to feel that those were fightin’ words, and needed to vent his frustrations to three million people via the internet. Suffice to say, we’ve got a good ol’ fashioned Twitter war on our hands.

When TV host Jim Rome criticized O’Neal’s career, said he wasn’t as dedicated as Kobe and warned the Celtics not to sign him, O’Neal picked the biggest club he had to retaliate — Twitter.

Among the things he said to his three million followers at The Real Shaq:

Those that dnt respect your hard work, its ok, make em respect u as a person.

If u wanna see shaq box jim rome live on espn. I do if he wins ill donate my salary to a charity of his choice

And forget the back and forth jim rome, I challenge u to a boxing match, live at espn studios, show the world if u can bak up the tuff talk

Jim rome, I am happy with my career and the legacy that I have left behind, obviously u r not happy wit yur legacy I 4got u have no legacy about –USA Today

I would love to see Jim Rome get his *** kicked on live TV, because there’s no way he’s making it past the first round. But, instead of boxing, they should go at it pro wrestling style, and get Jim Everett to come out halfway through and drop the People’s Elbow on Rome’s face. God I hate Jim Rome. His show is terrible, his speech rhythm makes me want to rip out his vocal cords, and he’s always hating on somebody for something. I’ll never be able to forgive him for that spout of douchiness he had during the Jim Everett interview. “Look at me! I’m calling you a girls’ name.” Good one, Jim.

http://network.yardbarker.com/NBA/article_external/Shaq_Vs_Jim_Rome_BATTLE_ROYAL/2999647

dhopisthename
08-05-2010, 07:45 PM
jim rome is right, if shaq would have worked as hard as kobe he could have been better than he was. he also would not be such a shell of his former self at this stage in his career

Jack of Blades
08-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Did anybody else read this in Jim Rome's douchebag voice?

cmellofan15
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
:laugh:

I hope Jim Rome burns his *** again for trying to challenge him to a boxing match. what a sad sack of **** Shaq is.

Klivlend
08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
jim rome is right, if shaq would have worked as hard as kobe he could have been better than he was. he also would not be such a shell of his former self at this stage in his career

Dude, he is 38 years old. Any athlete that is still playing and getting minutes at 38 years old is a shell of their former self. Name one exception. Maybe Favre last year, but letís see if he can do it again. Besides, his position (QB) does not heavily rely on speed, quickness or athleticism.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Jim Rome is right. Shaq could have been the best ever if he wanted to. He did not have the work ethic. And offering to beat up a guy who is half his size is not going to help his legacy.

tonyd3b54
08-05-2010, 07:52 PM
worst show on espn... worst person on espn. and espn is REALLY bad...

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
:laugh:

I hope Jim Rome burns his *** again for trying to challenge him to a boxing match. what a sad sack of **** Shaq is.

LOL :box:

cmellofan15
08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
seriously, Shaq let's one of the worst tv show host get in his head.

D Roses Bulls
08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Did anybody else read this in Jim Rome's douchebag voice?

lmao......

homestarunner93
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Chr...err, Jim Everett did this to him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczUKTwgqeY

Just imagine what would happen with Shaq in there. Rome should shut his mouth, he's beyond idiotic.

saintdrew
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
IN--Credible!!!

Gators123
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Well, since nobody posted a link to the video......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

:D

Gators123
08-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Just imagine what would happen with Shaq in there. Rome should shut his mouth, he's beyond idiotic.

****!! you beat me by a few seconds lol

D Roses Bulls
08-05-2010, 08:10 PM

lol........ jim rome is so annoying

John Walls Era
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Who in there right mind would accept this challenge? Jim Rome has a better chance in an eating contest..

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Shaq would probably swallow him .

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Jim Rome Sucks!

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 08:22 PM
this is a waste of time

hype707
08-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Shaq is 7 feet tall and 300 plus

reall tuff trying to box a guy that you out weigh by 200 pounds. dont get hyped shaq im a fan of yours but you are a sucker trying to fight romey. Rome is right he isnt getting his face mashed in for the LEAGUE min.

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Shaq Vs Jim Rome coming soon to ABC

nickdymez
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Jim Rome has the best sports talk radio show hands down

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Jim Rome has the best sports talk radio show hands down

No. JT has the Best Show!

Gators123
08-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Skip Bayless >>>> Jim Rome

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Skip Bayless >>>> Jim Rome

Stuart Scott>>>>Bill Simmons>>>>Skip Bayless >>>> Jim Rome

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
for the record JT the Brick is Backing Shaq :D

Oakley's Fist
08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Jim Rome is right. Shaq could have been the best ever if he wanted to. He did not have the work ethic. And offering to beat up a guy who is half his size is not going to help his legacy.

Yep. Although I imagine this is more the fact that Shaq will come up with any excuse to get his big butt on TV. If he did what he did from 2000-2002 his whole career he probably ends up being in arguments as being the greatest ball player of all time.

Also yes, I always hear Jim Rome's douchey voice in my head whenever I read his quotes.

Melo15
08-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow, come on now Shaq. For saying someone has no legacy it sure seems like you care a lot about what he thinks.

kozelkid
08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Rome is right in this case, but he still is a super douche bag. I'd love to see Shaq kick his ***.

shep33
08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Shaq is a HOFamer, the guy is one of the most dominant forces this league has ever seen... the sad thing is this guy coulda been even more dominant... the one thing I'll never forgive Shaq for is him coming into the season extremely overweight with the Lakers over the last couple of his years there, but all of a sudden when he gets traded to Miami decides to drop 25 lbs or whatever it was.

I never understood why he did that... and that irked me the most about his persona. Then comes him signing with the Celtics, which is a terrfic move by the Celts, but he'll be forever hated in laker land, and he won't be as loved in Boston as he once was in LA. Its like if Mchale or Parrish decided to sign with the Lakers... Boston fans would despise them.

Like I said he can do whatever he wants absolutely.. but this guy has burnt so many bridges over the past 5-6 years, that it makes you wonder about his personality. He coulda went back to the Heat if LBJ and Wade said bring him in... but they didn't, so you know something went wrong with both of those guys. Especially him signing for the vets min... If he went to Miami, they woulda be extremely difficult to stop, but theres obviously a reason Miami didn't pick him up for the vets min, and LBJ and Wade coulda easily convinced him and the FO to sign there, but they didn't.

kingkenny01
08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
jim rome is a dick and shaq had a hell of a career one of the most dominant force in basketball once, not any more though
i want jim rome to get punched again and let me have myself a good laugh

John Walls Era
08-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Stuart Scott>>>>Bill Simmons>>>>Skip Bayless >>>> Jim Rome

What's so good about Stuart Scott? BS and SB are better IMO.

Brooklyn Mets
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Shaq will fight with anyone

writ42
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Jim Rome ****ing sucks. For anyone who thinks his show sucks, you're right, it's absolutely awful. It is a miracle that Jim Rome is still on the air. The only reason I wouldn't want Shaq to fight Jim Rome is so that I could kick Rome's *** myself.

XxigglesphanxX
08-05-2010, 11:22 PM
i turned his show on earlier and just kinda laughed at it. i cant believe its a show. sports nation is alot better, pti is better, around the horn is better, need i say more?

i changed the channel to the tv guide and it was better

ink
08-05-2010, 11:52 PM

I agree with that. But they are both the biggest imbeciles in sports culture. The sports world would actually be a SPORTS world without this type of pseudo-entertainment crap.

gwrighter
08-06-2010, 12:06 AM

+1. Shaq retaliates by picking a fight...

fadedmario
08-06-2010, 12:12 AM
I can't ****ing stand Jim Rome. I would love to see him get rocked.

yuoke
08-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Dude, he is 38 years old. Any athlete that is still playing and getting minutes at 38 years old is a shell of their former self. Name one exception. Maybe Favre last year, but letís see if he can do it again. Besides, his position (QB) does not heavily rely on speed, quickness or athleticism.

Omar Vizquel

Jahari Kavi
08-06-2010, 12:17 AM

to be quite honest, Shaq is still in good shape for his age and can still be somewhat of a factor..................and now shaq in his prime wasn't better than kobe???? :rolleyes:

Jahari Kavi
08-06-2010, 12:19 AM
with that being said Rome is a funny dude....i hardly ever listen to his radio show or watch his program on ESPN, because I think he's more of an entertainer than a sports talk guy....with that being said, Rome is a funny dude who drops some quotables..............

FLWolvesFan
08-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Shaq was great in his prime but has always been classless and immature, he just doesn't know when to shut his mouth. I'd like to see them have a spelling match or maybe a trivia contest, Shaq would have no chance in a free-throw contest.

sixer04fan
08-06-2010, 12:51 AM

As much as I despise Jim Rome, I kind of agree with this statement. Shaq should just turn the other cheek (or whatever the saying is) rather than let Jim Rome get in his head.

On a side note, Shaq could have been the best ever, or best big of all time. But whatever, he's had an amazing career, and he's as good as he wanted to be. Good for him.

cle12152433
08-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I watched Jim Rome say this. I was sitting in a Rooster's (a booth to be exact) eating teriyaki chicken wings, bacon and cheese fries, a cold root-beer, all whilst looking at my waitress's fine piece of ***,

TheWaterboy
08-06-2010, 01:04 AM

Even if he COULD have been the best ever, he's got a bunch of rings, he has given back to his community, and made the game of basketball much more entertaining.

He is obviously joking about the fighting... He is a good guy, and if he is happy with his legacy, why should Jim Rome be unhappy about it?

cle12152433
08-06-2010, 01:10 AM
They will both get over it

D Roses Bulls
08-06-2010, 01:18 AM
They will both get over it

lmao at your avatar

D Roses Bulls
08-06-2010, 01:19 AM
I agree with that. But they are both the biggest imbeciles in sports culture. The sports world would actually be a SPORTS world without this type of pseudo-entertainment crap.

exactly, its types like that have turned espn into the sports version of TMZ

cle12152433
08-06-2010, 01:23 AM
lmao at your avatar

:)

Lakersho
08-06-2010, 02:02 AM
...well, i'll admit Jim Rome can piss you off. Everything he said WAS true.Shaq could've been the best ever but he's a lazy arse . Thats why Lakers traded his big out of shape arse. IF and thats a big " IF " shaq would've stayed in shape , he and kobe could've had won 7 or 8 rings. If they could've got over the top dog shite. But just think... Rome is a penis but most times he's tell'en it as it is. We as fans just don't like hearing that about our teams... JIM ROME was right. And what shaq gonna beat up a gut who weighs 1/3 as much as him??? Thats like Jim Rome challenging shaq to a spelling bee... How fair would that beeee......."SHAQ THE 2010 SPELLING BEE CHAMP OF BOSTON "

montazingmvp
08-06-2010, 02:06 AM
jim rome may be the biggest douchebag on earth...anybody who takes that clown seriously is as big a douchebag as he.

short man syndrome if i've ever seen it...

D Roses Bulls
08-06-2010, 02:07 AM
...well, i'll admit Jim Rome can piss you off. Everything he said WAS true.Shaq could've been the best ever but he's a lazy arse . Thats why Lakers traded his big out of shape arse. IF and thats a big " IF " shaq would've stayed in shape , he and kobe could've had won 7 or 8 rings. If they could've got over the top dog shite. But just think... Rome is a penis but most times he's tell'en it as it is. We as fans just don't like hearing that about our teams... JIM ROME was right. And what shaq gonna beat up a gut who weighs 1/3 as much as him??? Thats like Jim Rome challenging shaq to a spelling bee... How fair would that beeee.......

well first of all, I think IMO shaq is the best center in the history of the game when he was in his prime. I remember watching hakeem, Ewing, and so on and I have never seen a guy except Jordan where you had to game plan around. He was just so big, so quick, and so strong that you couldn't stop him. Second, I don't think it was about being lazy, I think it was more about shaq just not caring about hte game as much. I don't think basketball was shaq's passion, I know he went to L.A. cause he wanted to be an actor and thats why he signed with the lakers in the first place and i think shaq qanted to just do other things. he didnt have the passion so of course he wasnt going to be dedicated to it.

magichatnumber9
08-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Jim Rome is hot garbage and has a obvious West Coast Laker bias. Any Laker that goes to the Celtics he is gonna ***** about.

ChiSox219
08-06-2010, 04:02 AM
Well, since nobody posted a link to the video......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JVphPVrfM

John Walls Era
08-06-2010, 04:11 AM

:clap:

PS: That was a good episode of SP as well.

D Roses Bulls
08-06-2010, 04:15 AM
he's even a douche to his listeners http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ78ysPQWlU&feature=related

show34
08-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Didnt jim everitt smash his ***** one day

Gators123
08-06-2010, 05:00 AM

Only southpark would do that :clap:

knicksfan23
08-06-2010, 05:21 AM
jim rome needs too die

The Raven
08-06-2010, 05:28 AM
Love Jim Rome. Go Romey

Cubs420
08-06-2010, 05:50 AM
I don't mind Jim Rome, hes a bag no doubt... But he knows it and just pisses people off, Its kind of amusing.

ESPN's best show is PTI.... Around the Horn is ok.

NBAfan4life
08-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I don't mind Jim Rome, hes a bag no doubt... But he knows it and just pisses people off, Its kind of amusing.

ESPN's best show is PTI.... Around the Horn is ok.

Around the horn is the best show PTI is ok

Dol-Fan
08-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I hope someone can actually answer this for me...I have no interest in this little war of words but I did notice Shaq's horrendous spelling (yes I know some people talk like this on the internet...) but I thought Shaq was supposed to have an MBA and is a registered police officer? Jesus Christ, the University of Phoenix at it's finest. "Bock bock bock," really, Shaq?

MagicHero3
08-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Among the things he said to his three million followers at The Real Shaq:

Those that dnt respect your hard work, its ok, make em respect u as a person.

If u wanna see shaq box jim rome live on espn. I do if he wins ill donate my salary to a charity of his choice

And forget the back and forth jim rome, I challenge u to a boxing match, live at espn studios, show the world if u can bak up the tuff talk

Jim rome, I am happy with my career and the legacy that I have left behind, obviously u r not happy wit yur legacy I 4got u have no legacy about ĖUSA Today

I am not a big Jim Rome fan, but I dont think anyone is. He literally hates on every athlete who you "might" be able to hate on.

BUT, thats his job. He knows it. His job is to call athletes out. ESPN tells him "Keep ripping on these guys".

Anyways, Jim Rome rips everybody

Shaq is so sensitive its ridiculous. Your supposed to ignore the haters, not embrace them. Shaq did exactly what Rome and ESPN wanted him to, so in the end, he loses.

This challenge makes Shaq look so insecure.
It's the BIGGEST athlete in the NBA, and hes challenging a regular-sized SPORTS ANCHOR to a BOXING match? COME ON!

Shaq pretty much took the low road here. He challenged Rome to a competition in which Shaq knew and everybody with common sense, including Rome, knew Shaq would kill him.

Its like hey, be mature Shaq. When someone calls you out, it makes you look like a coward to challenge them to an unfair match. Its like saying "hey, your right, so im gonna beat you up for it since I cant find ANY words to prove you wrong"

Honestly Shaq, imagine if Lance Armstrong challenged you to a biking match, you KNOW your going to lose. EVERYBODY does.

Its not like he is proving anybody wrong here, he is just immature.

Raoul Duke
08-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Someone needs to remind Shaq that he's seven feet tall and he weighs like 400 pounds. It was impressive back when he used to be a really great basketball player, but theres nothing impressive about a guy that big that can beat up a guy half his size.

It's like an average adult challenging a 12 year old to a boxing match. :( Shaq just comes off like such a fat, petty, old, washed up d-bag in this situation.

magichatnumber9
08-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi I'm Jim Rome the first 2 minutes are o.k and the rest of my show sucks, so yeah flip to sportsnation until around the horn.

Raoul Duke
08-06-2010, 10:00 AM
show some respect for one of the top 5 centers of all-time ....seriously...

He was a great player, but saying that he's a shadow of his former self (on the court, mind you) is simply a statement of fact. I'm not disrespecting the guy, I'm just regarding him in a way that I feel is appropriate relative to his behavior.

Honestly, guys his age are looked at as the elder statesmen of the game. Was Bill Russell going out of his way to needle young guys at his position in his twilight years? Did Kareem challenge reporters to fights?

It's getting laughable.