PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Lakers, are the oldest team in the league

JordansBulls
08-05-2010, 07:44 AM
After Shaq signed with Boston they showed this on ESPN.

Lakers average age is 30.0- 9 players 30 years old or older
Celtics average age is 28.4-6 players 30 or older
Heat average age is 28.1- 7 players 30 or older

LA-DYNASTY248
08-05-2010, 07:55 AM
lakers:best team in the nba
heat:2nd best
celticks:3rd best

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 07:55 AM
LAL's rotation players, their main ones, are 22, 31, 30, 30, 30, 30, 35, and 30.
They have Theo who will get spot minutes, and Walton who will get some minutes.
I get the point of this thread. So many are claiming Boston is too old at this point, and LA actually has an average age higher. But LA has 3 (Kobe at 31) players who are older than 30, only two of which is in their rotation. Boston has 6 players over 30, all of which are rotation players. So really, doing an average on their roster age isn't exactly proving Boston is the "younger" team so to speak

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-05-2010, 07:59 AM
LAL's rotation players, their main ones, are 22, 31, 30, 30, 30, 30, 35, and 30.
They have Theo who will get spot minutes, and Walton who will get some minutes.
I get the point of this thread. So many are claiming Boston is too old at this point, and LA actually has an average age higher. But LA has 3 (Kobe at 31) players who are older than 30, only two of which is in their rotation. Boston has 6 players over 30, all of which are rotation players. So really, doing an average on their roster age isn't exactly proving Boston is the "younger" team so to speak

this
fisher 35
kobe 31
ron 30
pau 30
bynum 22

TheWatcher34
08-05-2010, 08:11 AM
who cares...let's play!!!!

S-Dot
08-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Utah and San Antonio seemed to always have this title back in the day

Steelers23_06
08-05-2010, 08:47 AM
i agree and disagree at the same time. like age is a huge factor you have to understand everyone is saying all this stuff about how old the celtics are but they still took the lakers to 7 games. so imagine when they go against young teams like the heat, OKC, memphis will all run circles around them (that doesnt mean they will win, you saw from d'antoni's suns that just because your faster doesnt mean your better). i honestly dont see the lakers winng the confernce i see them as the western conference champs but dont sleep on dallas or OKC dethroning them. but their team is too deep not to meet the heat in the finals.

JDMVP
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Aint that a surprise ESPN talking about the Lakers negatively, lol

GrumpyOldMan
08-05-2010, 09:05 AM
who cares...let's play!!!!

This...and may the best team win. No matter their average age.

Steelers23_06
08-05-2010, 09:30 AM
my point is you go around saying how you have the greatest franchise in basketball when you dont the lakers are better than you and i have an unbiased opinion. you guys are good in patches not consistently great like the lakers are. point is 11 of your ring that you claim happened before you were prob. alive. i can talk about the heat winning that one because i saw it. i remember watching games for the series and watching wade take over i bet you cant even mention on play that happened during and of the finals because you didnt watch it so your representing something that you havent seen. and why arent you taking the sig bet...scared?

king4day
08-05-2010, 09:31 AM
LA might be the oldest but they're the most talented.

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 09:45 AM
my point is you go around saying how you have the greatest franchise in basketball when you dont the lakers are better than you and i have an unbiased opinion. you guys are good in patches not consistently great like the lakers are. point is 11 of your ring that you claim happened before you were prob. alive. i can talk about the heat winning that one because i saw it. i remember watching games for the series and watching wade take over i bet you cant even mention on play that happened during and of the finals because you didnt watch it so your representing something that you havent seen. and why arent you taking the sig bet...scared?

are you serious right now bro your team is scared you had to get the top 3 players in the free agent market to what win :facepalm: and who hasnt seen the man who avg 20 rpg or the white savoir play im from boston bro i seen most of the games.... being alive for them doesnt matter i bleed green bro i love my city and the laker org is argubly jsut as good as boston not better and any laker fan will agree with me on that we have just as much history as them... im sorry if you think boston fans are annoying but we stnad by our team thats y our team is unique.... the heat is all bandwagoners like yourself.... so what the celtics organization doesnt get the 17 rings because i wasnt alive for them are you serious thats like saying the lakers only have 5 rings lol come on bro like grow up.... :facepalm:

LA_Raiders
08-05-2010, 09:45 AM
BSPN and their East bias...

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 09:47 AM

unless your name is Marc Stein and you are up Dallas's butt all day

ManRam
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM

I don't get how stating a factual statistic is bias...

Should they just never talk about it?? I remember them saying that Boston was the oldest team in the past. Would that be West Coast bias??

Giantwarrior
08-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Lakers might be older then the Celtics but they are also better and faster. how does that make sense?

jp611
08-05-2010, 10:07 AM
the season hasnt even started and ill do a sig bet if you want. i HATE celtics fans i live up here and all of them think their team is sooooo great when its not. the only reason you guys have 17 banners is because of bill russell but minus him and you only have 6 rings woopty doo. and since bird you guys have sucked. and still sucked and i bet your one of the ones that jumped all over lebron for going to the heat when kg did the same exact thing which is leaving his team for a better oppurtunity. and then just used the excuse of "how he did it" as a reason to hate on him. when in all actuality it couldnt have been that bad if 10 million people tuned in and he didnt do it for the money because he gave it to the boys and girls club so where did he go wrong?

how many do the heat have?

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Lakers might be older then the Celtics but they are also better and faster. how does that make sense?

you cant say better but you can say faster we havnt seen what our new pieces are going to bring to the table..... the lakers for the most part have the same team minus barnes

mikantsass
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM

The lakers had ZERO banners in the 60's and 1 in the 70's... a few of their banners also came from when they were in Minneapolis. Are you going to hold that against them too? That is not consistant! Yes the C's were bad in the late 90's, Rick Pitino absoutely *&^%& up the team by himself. All it takes is one, just ask the Knicks fans how Isiah worked out.

dhopisthename
08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Average age is deceiving 1-2 people who are over 35 at the end of your bench or vise versa can change the number

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM
lol only difference is the old guys on the lakers and boston are the best on the team, heats old guys are replacable easy

jp611
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
dwyane wade is only 28 but his play has turned him into like a 35 year old... he will be just like iverson and t-mac in a few years

ackar
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM

What did the Heat do on the court to be consider the second best team sorry that go to the Celtics. Although the Heat improved vastly until the lace them up and put it on the court they should be consider middle of the pack.

BrotherRedz
08-05-2010, 10:48 AM
dwyane wade is only 28 but his play has turned him into like a 35 year old... he will be just like iverson and t-mac in a few years

What's wrong with Iverson? Cmon say it...

Compare that with what WADE have now

Kashmir13579
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
all the best teams are also the oldest. coincidence???

avrpatsfan
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM
The Lakers are too old!

Giants-49ers-Ws
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM
the lakers are not that old..all their players besides ratliff & fisher are still in their prime..

Chacarron
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
are you serious right now bro your team is scared you had to get the top 3 players in the free agent market to what win :facepalm: and who hasnt seen the man who avg 20 rpg or the white savoir play im from boston bro i seen most of the games.... being alive for them doesnt matter i bleed green bro i love my city and the laker org is argubly jsut as good as boston not better and any laker fan will agree with me on that we have just as much history as them... im sorry if you think boston fans are annoying but we stnad by our team thats y our team is unique.... the heat is all bandwagoners like yourself.... so what the celtics organization doesnt get the 17 rings because i wasnt alive for them are you serious thats like saying the lakers only have 5 rings lol come on bro like grow up.... :facepalm:

:clap:

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
the lakers are not that old..all their players besides ratliff & fisher are still in their prime..

kobe is in his prime?

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 11:14 AM
:clap:

why would you applaud this guy? You are a seasoned poster. He is using irrationality to fight irrationality, of which he started. Let those two go at it

Chronz
08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Average age is irrelevant, weighted age is all that matters. What is the combined age of their top 7?

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Average age is irrelevant, weighted age is all that matters. What is the combined age of their top 7?

exactly. I posted that right away. The age of the Lakers rotation is around 30. The age of the Celtics rotation will be higher.

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
why would you applaud this guy? You are a seasoned poster. He is using irrationality to fight irrationality, of which he started. Let those two go at it

maybe because what i sadi makes sense :rolleyes:

Super.
08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
the season hasnt even started and ill do a sig bet if you want. i HATE celtics fans i live up here and all of them think their team is sooooo great when its not. the only reason you guys have 17 banners is because of bill russell but minus him and you only have 6 rings woopty doo. and since bird you guys have sucked. and still sucked and i bet your one of the ones that jumped all over lebron for going to the heat when kg did the same exact thing which is leaving his team for a better oppurtunity. and then just used the excuse of "how he did it" as a reason to hate on him. when in all actuality it couldnt have been that bad if 10 million people tuned in and he didnt do it for the money because he gave it to the boys and girls club so where did he go wrong?

Ohhh Where to start?

Well first off, our team is the best in the East. Don't like it? Too bad because we're the defending Eastern Conference Champs.

Wanna whine about Championships? DO IT. I love to see people whine about those. We have 17. That would be the most in the NBA. Don't whine, no Bill Russel this, no Larry Bird that. WE HAD THOSE PLAYERS. This isn't a what if scenario its real life.

Since Bird we've sucked? Have you been living under a rock for the past 3 years? Since then we've won a championship, gone to the ECF, and won the ECF. I wouldn't call that sucking at all.

I don't fault LeBron for going to the Heat. Damn i would have done the same thing. But the way he did it, was a disgrace to the game. To utterly humiliate his home state and fans? That's why i hate LeBron. The way he left. Not why, but how.

KG was TRADED. LeBron left via Free Agency. There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I don't care if the money from that debocale would have cured cancer. You just don't humiliate your hometown like that. It's an embarrassment to the game of basketball. If you can't see that...that go back to your Steelers, and your awesome role model in Big Ben

Giants-49ers-Ws
08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
kobe is in his prime?

kobe will be 32 for this season..in my opinion that is still basically prime when you trai harder and keep yourslef in tip top shape..kobe's game doesn't age either like other guys because he doesn't rely on his athleticism..

remember michael jordan was 33, 34, and 35 in his 2nd 3-peat when returning from baseball...jordan's game didn't age because of his craftiness and shotting abilities just like i don't expect kobe's too...i project 4 more very strong seasons from Bryant and then a couple good years

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
maybe because what i sadi makes sense :rolleyes:

not really. The C's have won as many rings as the Heat since 1989, when the Heat were introduced to the NBA. You also made a statement that was deleted about the C's being in more playoffs this decade, which is also false.
Now, the back and forth about the roster, etc, is stupid. Boston has a storied franchise with names the Heat could never compete with at this point in time. So you are both being irrational

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Ohhh Where to start?

Well first off, our team is the best in the East. Don't like it? Too bad because we're the defending Eastern Conference Champs.

Wanna whine about Championships? DO IT. I love to see people whine about those. We have 17. That would be the most in the NBA. Don't whine, no Bill Russel this, no Larry Bird that. WE HAD THOSE PLAYERS. This isn't a what if scenario its real life.

Since Bird we've sucked? Have you been living under a rock for the past 3 years? Since then we've won a championship, gone to the ECF, and won the ECF. I wouldn't call that sucking at all.

I don't fault LeBron for going to the Heat. Damn i would have done the same thing. But the way he did it, was a disgrace to the game. To utterly humiliate his home state and fans? That's why i hate LeBron. The way he left. Not why, but how.

KG was TRADED. LeBron left via Free Agency. There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I don't care if the money from that debocale would have cured cancer. You just don't humiliate your hometown like that. It's an embarrassment to the game of basketball. If you can't see that...that go back to your Steelers, and your awesome role model in Big Ben

wow that was perfectly said :clap:

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
kobe will be 32 for this season..in my opinion that is still basically prime when you trai harder and keep yourslef in tip top shape..kobe's game doesn't age either like other guys because he doesn't rely on his athleticism..

remember michael jordan was 33, 34, and 35 in his 2nd 3-peat when returning from baseball...jordan's game didn't age because of his craftiness and shotting abilities just like i don't expect kobe's too...i project 4 more very strong seasons from Bryant and then a couple good years

Kobe has already played more games than Jordan ever did. He will not age as gracefully as Jordan did, he won't have anything left in the tank to match Jordan's production at age 35, due to so many more games played.
As far as him being in his prime, its debateable. He has slipped some, but anyone who is widely regarded a top 2-4 player by anyone is obviously still on the border of prime.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM

kobe isnt michael jordon, i think kobe has atleast 4 very good years left but i wouldnt say he is in his prime anymore, not saying he is going to be shaq, but his prime was 2 years ago

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
not really. The C's have won as many rings as the Heat since 1989, when the Heat were introduced to the NBA. You also made a statement that was deleted about the C's being in more playoffs this decade, which is also false.
Now, the back and forth about the roster, etc, is stupid. Boston has a storied franchise with names the Heat could never compete with at this point in time. So you are both being irrational

you guy both started with me because of my sig..... my sig is a fact its not fiction all its implying is that we are one of the best franchises in the league..... and also i corrected my self i said more playoff wins that is what i mean't i'm sorry i made a mistake :facepalm:

Chacarron
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Exactly my friend. He is being entertaining. ;)

Jemikz9Clutch
08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
wow. i never thought the lakers is the oldest team. i thought it was celtics then the spurs. thats cool to know.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
you guy both started with me because of my sig..... my sig is a fact its not fiction all its implying is that we are one of the best franchises in the league..... and also i corrected my self i said more playoff wins that is what i mean i'm sorry i made a mistake :facepalm:

I would hope you had more rings in so many more years. But to make things fair, you have to measure yourself against a team from when they came into existance. The Heat could have been the most dominant team in history and won the last 10, and still wouldn't match 17.
Simply said, you can't just reward longevity. You have to account for what you are arguing for or against. In this case, the Heat weren't even around for 16 of your rings. Since they have been around, you are tied 1-1.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I would hope you had more rings in so many more years. But to make things fair, you have to measure yourself against a team from when they came into existance. The Heat could have been the most dominant team in history and won the last 10, and still wouldn't match 17.
Simply said, you can't just reward longevity. You have to account for what you are arguing for or against. In this case, the Heat weren't even around for 16 of your rings. Since they have been around, you are tied 1-1.

this

Wade>You
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
ESPN: Lakers are the oldest team in the league

That can only mean one thing....BOSTON IS DEAD!:speechless:

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM

ok so according to you when you compare the heat and celtics they both have one thats fine but im still going to compare 17 to 1 because we have 17 they have 1 end of story move on

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
ok so according to you when you compare the heat and celtics they both have one thats fine but im still going to compare 17 to 1 because we have 17 they have 1 end of story move on

lol u lost the debate

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 11:38 AM
lol u lost the debate

i didnt tho look up celtics history look up the heat 17 to 1 lol u still lose but u think u won :eyebrow:

Giants-49ers-Ws
08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
^ these days with the better conditioning and training it is easier for players to play very effectively into their mid 30's

steve nash was pretty good last year right?..turned 36 this past february

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 11:42 AM
^ these days with the better conditioning and training it is easier for players to play very effectively into their mid 30's

not saying its not possible. But Nash has suffered no injuries to his frame. And he is slight with minimal weight. Kobe is already suffering from knee and back problems. Those don't get better after game 1300 in the NBA.
You also have to factor in that players a while back didn't enter the league until 22 typically. So the average age of players prime efficient years was 2-3 years higher than it is now. Essentially, that would make Kobe a 34 year old in 1990 for example, if you follow my logic.

TheTakeOver24
08-05-2010, 11:43 AM
i didnt tho look up celtics history look up the heat 17 to 1 lol u still lose but u think u won :eyebrow:

bro u are a moron
the celtics have one championship since the Heat have been founded
its 1-1... get ur facts straight
it wont stay 1-1 for long though, the HEAT is on!

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:45 AM

not saying kobe wont be good, he might an ost likly will be looked at as the best player in the NBA next year, what im saying is that he is not in his prime, let me ask u this, who would u take, 28 year old kobe or 32? def 28... which was his prime

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:46 AM

lmao ok

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 11:56 AM
This is nothing new, it usually takes a veteran team to win a ring. btw the Celtics are the team to beat in the East until someone proves otherwise. Whats up with Heat fans dissing Celtics fans, thats like Rockies fans trying to disrespect Yankee fans, redicilous!

TheTakeOver24
08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
This is nothing new, it usually takes a veteran team to win a ring. btw the Celtics are the team to beat in the East until someone proves otherwise. Whats up with Heat fans dissing Celtics fans, thats like Rockies fans trying to disrespect Yankee fans, redicilous!

since the Heat have been founded:
Heat 7 division title Celtics 7 division titles
Heat 1 championship Celtics 1 championship

Dont let ancient history get in the way of facts bro.:facepalm:

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM

nice

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM

I assume you Heat fans have suddenly came back from being at the beach suddenly to jump on the bandwaggon, what else can explain the reasoning of not realizing greatness, my team has 2 championships but im not stupid or dumb enough to compare the Rockets franchise vs the Celtics franchise, wake up!

AVILA
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
This is dr.avila and franklin senior meteorologists at the national hurricane center with the new noaa outlook for the season revised as of august 5,2010 at 11am edt.The forcast remains as was forcasted with extremely warm ocean temps ranging from 85 to 90 in the mdr or main development region and weak trade winds through the caribbean and into ca/ea the condtions couldn't be more favorable.Our computer models continue to suggest an explosition in activty at once forming later in mid august through october.The most favorable areas for landfall will be across the southeast and the gulf coastal areas of the united states with a favorable azores/bermuda high and expecting neutral to slightly neg nao influencing landfall.The year used as an analog was 2004 when we say charley,frances,jeanne,ivan and no longer 2005 as this year started later than expected.Now is the time to get ready....forcasters avila and franklin noaa nws miami,florida.

Chronz
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM

About the MJ comparisons, yes you can draw similarities but the comparison changes when you try to compare their career curves by age. MJ had considerably less mileage on his legs by that point in his career. When MJ was 35 he was really 32. So yes this will be Kobes last great year, and Brons final chance to slay the beast while it still matters.

Chronz
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Nash is basically 32 years old. He got zero playing time till he was like 24 or something

Wade>You
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
This is nothing new, it usually takes a veteran team to win a ring. btw the Celtics are the team to beat in the East until someone proves otherwise. Whats up with Heat fans dissing Celtics fans, thats like Rockies fans trying to disrespect Yankee fans, redicilous!Or Rocket fans dissing any teams' fans. What have they done in the past decade to make themselves relevant? Provided comedic laughter about their playoff success when y'all were hyping your team up every season? Brag about their two championships when Jordan took a hiatus?

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Or Rocket fans dissing any teams' fans. What have they done in the past decade to make themselves relevant? Provided comedic laughter about their playoff success when y'all were hyping your team up every season? Brag about their two championships when Jordan took a hiatus?

Yeah you Heat fans just dont know about greatness, same way you cant accept the fact that Kobe is a legend and Lebron nor Wade are at his level at this point. Coulda shoulda, everyone else had the same opportunity to win the ring those two years, did anyone else do it, go back and look at the teams that the Rockets faced, mostly all of them had HOF, Rockets won the second ring as a 6th seed and all three oponents had more than 50 wins, in 2 of those series we won game 7 on the road, on the oponents, go back and look at the rosters on the opposing teams and see what HOF are in that roster of opponents. What HOF has prevented Lebron from winning ?????!!!!!

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
hey heat fans techniclly according to you guys the rockets are a better franchise then the celtics and heat they have two rings we only have 1 lol because the celtics rings dont count because we only did it once since the 80s so we will just delete history just so you guys can sleep better at night....

lakers 5
rockets 2
celtics 1
heat 1

feel free to add on!

shep33
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but their players are guys who don't really rely a lot on athleticism, and their main guys are 30, or as in Kobe's case 32. Fisher is old, but hey he still gets it done.

But most of all, yeah they may be around 30 years of age (average), but none of them have suffered a huge season ending injury, outside of maybe Bynum, who ironically is one of their youngest players.

Jack Daniels
08-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, yeah... the Lakers and the Celtics are the oldest teams in the league, blah, blah, blah. Yet we have both have a high possibility of being in the finals for what is it now... Celtics 2 of the last 3 seasons and Lakers 3 of the last 3? take that espn case study and ... well you can finish that sentence.

Mr Moody
08-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Hawkeye solid posting
Boston stop posting

GAWDtv
08-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Teams built to win the playoffs usually have veteran leadership on the floor. Older teams are slower but most the playoffs slow down to half court offences. Boston is the team best built to win NBA playoffs basketball right now (and would have won if Perkins didn't go down in the finals). They beat the seasons #1 and #2 teams and almost beat #3.

Raidaz4Life
08-05-2010, 12:40 PM
not saying kobe wont be good, he might an ost likly will be looked at as the best player in the NBA next year, what im saying is that he is not in his prime, let me ask u this, who would u take, 28 year old kobe or 32? def 28... which was his prime

I honestly don't think there is that significant of a difference.... Kobe's stats have remained pretty consistent even for playing injured. There has been absolutely nothing to show that Kobe will be any less effective next year than he was at the age of 28.

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Teams built to win the playoffs usually have veteran leadership on the floor. Older teams are slower but most the playoffs slow down to half court offences. Boston is the team best built to win NBA playoffs basketball right now (and would have won if Perkins didn't go down in the finals). They beat the seasons #1 and #2 teams and almost beat #3.

It also did not help the Celtics chances the fact that Doc Rivers had a brain cramp and sat Rondo down for a significant part of the 4th, still Lakers won and they came through.

Brooklyn Mets
08-05-2010, 12:43 PM
age really isnt that important..

Avenged
08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
The 2 oldest teams in the league just finished facing each other in the Finals not too long ago. Not to mention the Lakers are still favored to make it back, while the Celtics have a very good chance as well.

Haven't read this whole thread but it just goes to show you how much experience comes into play when your in the playoffs. There's a reason a team like the Spurs are always in the mix of things.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I honestly don't think there is that significant of a difference.... Kobe's stats have remained pretty consistent even for playing injured. There has been absolutely nothing to show that Kobe will be any less effective next year than he was at the age of 28.

he was not as effective last year as age 28, and you know this

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 01:05 PM

KOBE
05-06: 35.4 PPG (his prime)
06-07: 31.4 PPG (still in his prime)
07-08: 28.3 PPG (still)
08-09: 26.8 PPG (exiting his prime)
09-10: 27.0 PPG on .456 shooting (.467 08-09 year) so the only reason he had .2 more PPG was cuz he took more shoots (just out of prime)

not saying kobe isnt still a beast.... hes just not in his prime anymore
numbers dont lie

Avenged
08-05-2010, 01:13 PM
KOBE
09-10: 27.0 PPG on .456 shooting (.467 08-09 year) so the only reason he had .2 more PPG was cuz he took more shoots (just out of prime)

numbers dont lie

Pretty good shooting numbers still for a player on the "decline". You can argue though that he had such a big average of points during 05-07 because of the lack of talent his team had. Either way though, like I mentioned before, even if he continues to "decline", the Lakers have the players who are capable of stepping up if needed.

s3antana5757
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Kobe also has had help(GASOL) for the last 3 years. Yes, he was still in his prime in 05-07, but he hasn't HAD to score 35 PPG to win.

RCarlson85
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
This is hilarious. Everyone was talking about how the Heat are getting so many old guys (which in reality was only 2 - Z and Howard), when the Lakers are actually the oldest team.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
05-06'
PER- 28. TS%- 56%. Ast%- 24.1. Usg- 38.7. Tur%- 9. Win shares- 15.3
06-07'
PER- 26.1. TS%- 58%. Ast%- 25.5. Usg- 33.6. Tur%- 10.9. Win shares- 13
07-08'
PER- 24.2. TS%- 57%. Ast%- 23.9. Usg- 31.4. Tur%- 11.3. Win shares- 13.8
08-09'
PER- 24.4. TS%- 56%. Ast%- 23.8. Usg- 32.2. Tur%- 9.7. Win shares- 12.7
09-10'
PER- 21.9. TS%- 54%. Ast%-23.8. Usg- 32.3. Tur%- 11.4. Win shares- 9.4

Kobe has had about as gradual of a slide as you can expect due to his very high level of skill. Its clear he is not as individually effective as he once was, due to his shot creation ability declining. But don't expect him not to be a dominant force for another couple of years. He did just come off his more ineffective year since 98-99'.

nanablvd
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
the Lakers have not signed EBanks, Caracter, and Shannon Brown yet. Signing all three would dent their average age to possibly 28 years

shep33
08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah, they're old and useless geezers... shame that these old-timers just won 2 rings in a row. They're like my Uncle Ruckus... looks old, is old, but still gives a beatdown to the youngsters.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah, they're old and useless geezers... shame that these old-timers just won 2 rings in a row. They're like my Uncle Ruckus... looks old, is old, but still gives a beatdown to the youngsters.

you have an uncle named Ruckus? That is awesome

L@ker4Life
08-05-2010, 01:44 PM
When the Lakers sign their two rookies (if they do, but im pretty certain they will) their average age will go down a few years and they will be second or third youngest. It doesnt help that theo is like 100 years old! haha...

JustinJDW
08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I remember when people use to think that the Spurs were always the oldest team in the League.

Kobe4Life
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
after shaq signed with boston they showed this on espn.

celtics average age is 28.4-6 players 30 or older
heat average age is 28.1- 7 players 30 or older

cool story bro. not accurate at all offseason isn't even over we still have shannon and our rookies. Not to mention a 6 page thread in the NBA forums on the lakers just shows how many people are worried and need to talk crap to take care of thier insecurity. Take a look at the sig....you mad?

Faycem
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM

It's not very accurate.
They obviously didn't count with the rookies and Shannon Brown. If all of them sign, we still have the oldest team BUT with an average of 28.7. Not a big difference as you can see.

Raidaz4Life
08-05-2010, 01:49 PM
KOBE

numbers dont lie

People don't seem to understand that last year Kobe was playing with both a knee injury and a finger injury. I could easily see him dropping 29-5-5 next year after taking the offseason to get surgery and rest.

Before the injuries caught up to him, Kobe was averaging over 30 a game off of 49% shooting. Look at his numbers through December... he can easily still play at an elite level when fully healthy.

Diggy_2
08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
And I Always Thought SA Was The Oldest

dpospish
08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah you Heat fans just dont know about greatness, same way you cant accept the fact that Kobe is a legend and Lebron nor Wade are at his level at this point. Coulda shoulda, everyone else had the same opportunity to win the ring those two years, did anyone else do it, go back and look at the teams that the Rockets faced, mostly all of them had HOF, Rockets won the second ring as a 6th seed and all three oponents had more than 50 wins, in 2 of those series we won game 7 on the road, on the oponents, go back and look at the rosters on the opposing teams and see what HOF are in that roster of opponents. What HOF has prevented Lebron from winning ?????!!!!!

Just this past playoffs, possibly 3 future HOF (Garnett, Pierce, Allen) stopped him from winning.

Kobe4Life
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
People don't seem to understand that last year Kobe was playing with both a knee injury and a finger injury. I could easily see him dropping 29-5-5 next year after taking the offseason to get surgery and rest.

Before the injuries caught up to him, Kobe was averaging over 30 a game off of 49% shooting. Look at his numbers through December... he can easily still play at an elite level when fully healthy.

Its not that they dont understand its called "Denial"..every year the same people come out talk crap and get proven wrong. Go Kobe..You mad?

KmB728
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM

How is stating a fact showing east coast bias? Care to explain?

That is like me getting mad at Espn saying the lakers are located further west than the celtics....

Mplsman
08-05-2010, 01:56 PM
That's funny, I thought Boston would be the oldest.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 01:57 PM

no.... U dont understand... my argument wasever that he will just fall out ad be a no body.... my argument was that he is no longer in his prime... and u even said " kobe was playing with both a knee injury and finger injury......before the injuries caught up to him".... u dont think those injuries will catch up t him as a year older AND working harder to beat this new heat team?

NBAKID7
08-05-2010, 02:16 PM
We might be the oldest but we are for sure the best team in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

It is a fact.............................................

blastmasta26
08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Lakers being the oldest team is taken out of context. What does average age matter? If you look at the rotation, the only person who is way past his prime is Fisher. You look at the Celtics, they have several guys way past their prime.

still1ballin
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Does it really matter?

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Does it really matter?

haha. Actually, with your sig, it shows that it really doesn't.

Htownballa1622
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Or Rocket fans dissing any teams' fans. What have they done in the past decade to make themselves relevant? Provided comedic laughter about their playoff success when y'all were hyping your team up every season? Brag about their two championships when Jordan took a hiatus?

What do the rockets have to do with what was said.he being a rockets fan can say that about the heat.should we say the mavs crapped them selvesand that's why miami had one? No.so get off the rockets when we are relevant year after year in the WEST.

still1ballin
08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
haha. Actually, with your sig, it shows that it really doesn't.

:laugh2:

So true

xbrackattackx
08-05-2010, 04:21 PM
So wine gets better with age or something right?

heathonater
08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
i've never really liked those aerage age stats, just because they dont really take into account the average age of the rotation players. one guy that is 38 but doesnt play no more than 5 minutes a game can make your team have a higher average age than they should. plus, with the lakers most of their key players are on the right side of 30 so age is not an issue.

Enemey
08-05-2010, 04:32 PM
ESPN: Lakers are the oldest team in the league

That can only mean one thing....BOSTON IS DEAD!:speechless:

:laugh:

mamba24
08-05-2010, 04:47 PM

this is the one time u will see a celtics fan and a lakers fan unite... the heat will never be one of the all time great franchises... top 2 franchises in whatever order u wanna argue them r the lakers and the c's... i hope the heat fold this year! here's to another lakers celtics match up!!!

Lakersfanla24
08-05-2010, 04:48 PM
KOBE

numbers dont lie

So when judging a players prime the only factor comes in is PPG? well i can already see one problem with that because the year his scoring started to dip was the same year we got gasol. He had to score 35 to win with the team we had before gasol. I do think hes a few great seasons left in him though i mean eveyone knows about his work ethics.

As far as being the oldest team i agree with hawkeye about the rotational age vs the actual age of the team, but hey Experience=Championships.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 04:51 PM
^ so u thin he is still in his prime?

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 04:52 PM
this is the one time u will see a celtics fan and a lakers fan unite... the heat will never be one of the all time great franchises... top 2 franchises in whatever order u wanna argue them r the lakers and the c's... i hope the heat fold this year! here's to another lakers celtics match up!!!

i agree, miami will be 3rd, but year for year, judging from how long they been in the NBA, MIA wilbe number 1

djlamer
08-05-2010, 04:57 PM
being 30 ain't that old anymore.
alot of players are playing till close to 40(shaq is 38!!!)
jordan won his second 3peat in his 30s
30 is the prime age for nba athletes i feel as they have the right mix of experience and athleticism still.
if anything, we'll just have to watch the minutes more and pace ourselves, shouldn't be a big problem.

djlamer
08-05-2010, 05:01 PM
^ so u thin he is still in his prime?
yes. don't forget the injuries that he sustained over the past 2 years to his shooting hand. 2 broken fingers and still shooting .45 ain't bad at all. i'd like to see anybody do that. kobe will return to form this year with all his injuries taken care of in the offseason

dodgerlakerguy
08-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Forget the old days pal, the Celtics have been in the Finals 2/3 years! with a championship! What has that Heat team done since Shaq left? cmon, the Heat have so much to prove and to everyone on here are just paper champs as of now........:facepalm: Find a clue kid. The Celtics will be playing the other best team come this June in round 3.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 05:02 PM
being 30 ain't that old anymore.
alot of players are playing till close to 40(shaq is 38!!!)
jordan won his second 3peat in his 30s
30 is the prime age for nba athletes i feel as they have the right mix of experience and athleticism still.
if anything, we'll just have to watch the minutes more and pace ourselves, shouldn't be a big problem.

Shaq is a big man who has taken minimal punishment.
Jordan didn't play in as many games TOTAL as Kobe already has.

I am not sure how the message gets missed when trying to make these comparisons. Because athletes enter the league earlier now, and with Kobe being on a playoff team that made deep runs all the time, he has a TON of games on his knees. His body is that of a 34-35 year old back in the day. On top of that he has experienced knee and back issues. Not a great thing going into the last 1/4 of a career.
But Kobe may be just fine with some rest. Just playing devil's advocate

Kevj77
08-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Now that the Lakers have re-signed Brown and if they sign their two second round picks the average age will go down by a couple years to 28 maybe. Does that somehow make them better? No.

It's like Hawkeye said, it's the average age of the top 7-8 players not the whole team. I don't think 30 is past your prime. Of course I've always thought it was the mileage not the age that causes atheletes to break down around a certain age.

championships
08-05-2010, 05:30 PM
you cant say better but you can say faster we havnt seen what our new pieces are going to bring to the table..... the lakers for the most part have the same team minus barnes
Yes he can and lakers almost changed the whole bench.. Where have you been?

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Just this past playoffs, possibly 3 future HOF (Garnett, Pierce, Allen) stopped him from winning.

An over the hill Garnett and Allen???? Here go the Rockets opponents, Utah,Phoenix, San Antonio(finished with best record in NBA) and Orlando(best record in east), go back and look at rosters from those teams,,,if you have any knowledge you shouldnt have to!

Woddsicle
08-05-2010, 05:59 PM
LA might be the oldest but they're the most talented.

x2

GoldenArmor24
08-05-2010, 06:05 PM

Shaq taken minimal punishment? Guess thats why he complained to the refs he would get fouled 2-3 times a play and get no whistle. :laugh2: He also isn't half as fast as he use to be; nor can he play as many minutes as he use to and still be efficent. Nor does he have the work effort off the court that Kobe does. -> One of the reasons Y they didn't get along.

Kobe does have more milage then M.J no doubt but he also took a page out of Michaels book by working on his post game when he lost his hops. Love hearing about Kobe working out with The Dream before this past season.

I just don't get how a guy has fallen off so much since 08. I'm guessing it's more of a Pau & actually having more weapons on his team thing. Plus playing with 2 broken fingers & a bad knee might have a little bit, but if you look @ his stats & the facts stated above considered. Has he really falling off or has actually got better?

SiR Lakers III
08-05-2010, 06:07 PM
who cares. Lakers are still the best team in the NBA right now until someone knocks them out of playoffs and I dont see that happening next year.

djlamer
08-05-2010, 07:14 PM

I am not sure how the message gets missed when trying to make these comparisons. Because athletes enter the league earlier now, and with Kobe being on a playoff team that made deep runs all the time, he has a TON of games on his knees. His body is that of a 34-35 year old back in the day. On top of that he has experienced knee and back issues. Not a great thing going into the last 1/4 of a career.
But Kobe may be just fine with some rest. Just playing devil's advocate

injuries and all the work he has put in definitely showed up last season. but thats why hes taking this summer off to get some rest. he also had knee surgery this off season. this is his first summer off in about 3 years i think and it should do wonders for him, hopefully.
kobe is a workhorse and he hits the gym and conditions himself more than anybody else in the nba. so even if he has played more games than jordan, he has also worked harder and conditioned himself more than jordan(i'm paraphrasing phil saying that kobe is the hardest worker hes ever coached)

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 07:19 PM
omg, we all know Kobe works out hard, etc.
Simply using examples of games played and his injuries suffered. I hope he is healthy. I would hate for LeBron or Dwight or anyone else to get cheated, and not have a healthy Kobe to go against in the finals.
But there is a fall off, which is found in PER, a stat that promotes shot creation. Hence why it was a lot better 4 years ago vs. now. His game has evolved, but he is headed down slightly. But a player of his skill level and work ethic isn't going to go from top 3-4 in the NBA to worthless. Not possible

celtisox41
08-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Are you kidding, your completely biased you said you hated the celtics. And if the lakers are better then why do the celtics have more championships? And it doesn't matter if you were alive to see it it happened didn't it? So just stop talking

celtisox41
08-05-2010, 07:23 PM

If you live here then look at the banners next time, they have way more great players then just bill russell. And 6 rings is lets see........6 times more than the heat have. And garnett didn't leave minnesota, he was traded, so its not the same as james. I bet your just one of the james bandwagon fans that don't pay attention to the rest of the league

LAtilIdie24/8
08-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Aint that a surprise ESPN talking about the Lakers negatively, lol

oh my i know right??? no mattter how dominant LA is or how good their playing, BSPN always, ALWAYS find a way to make it negative... they could have a 10 game win streak and theyd say they were due downfall and to lose their next five games or something.. WEAK

they are all on LBJ ( Low Blow James) nutz even after he booked outta cleveland... sad sad deal:facepalm:

Justintyme
08-05-2010, 07:25 PM

That's all good and well but I still consider Boston older because it's there top players who are the old ones. Except for rondo. The functional age is more important

heattiltheend94
08-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Heats age average is skewed due to Juwan Howard, Big Z, Jones, and Magloire. Besides Big Z, none of them will probably crack our rotation during playoffs

JWO35
08-05-2010, 07:37 PM

I don't know, I see ESPN as one big bandwagon network
Lakers
Yanks
Saints(use to be the Patriots)
Anything that has to do with Favre and LeBron

GspLAL
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Kobe has already played more games than Jordan ever did. He will not age as gracefully as Jordan did, he won't have anything left in the tank to match Jordan's production at age 35, due to so many more games played.
As far as him being in his prime, its debateable. He has slipped some, but anyone who is widely regarded a top 2-4 player by anyone is obviously still on the border of prime.

Kobe has more mileage at his age than Jordan did at the same age but I would assume that trainers are more advanced now in keeping athletes healthier.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Kobe has more mileage at his age than Jordan did at the same age but I would assume that trainers are more advanced now in keeping athletes healthier.

I think the ONLY thing Kobe has going for him over MJ, is his addiction to basketball. MJ wanted to win at anything, hence his gambling, his going away mid prime, etc. I am not sure the trainers are that much better now, but Kobe is a premier example on how athletes SHOULD take care of themselves.
But as I have said, and proved, Kobe is already slightly declining. But that decline is so gradual, its hard for the average fan to see it. You are not the average fan. You know I am right. But I also know that Kobe at 90% of what he was 4 years ago is still a top 3-4 player easily. With help. Lakers are, and should be, the team to beat. Fk the Heat until they prove it

GspLAL
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I think the ONLY thing Kobe has going for him over MJ, is his addiction to basketball. MJ wanted to win at anything, hence his gambling, his going away mid prime, etc. I am not sure the trainers are that much better now, but Kobe is a premier example on how athletes SHOULD take care of themselves.
But as I have said, and proved, Kobe is already slightly declining. But that decline is so gradual, its hard for the average fan to see it. You are not the average fan. You know I am right. But I also know that Kobe at 90% of what he was 4 years ago is still a top 3-4 player easily. With help. Lakers are, and should be, the team to beat. Fk the Heat until they prove it

He's declined physically but every other aspect of his game is where it should be. Everyone loses physicality once they reach 30+ years old.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 09:00 PM
He's declined physically but every other aspect of his game is where it should be. Everyone loses physicality once they reach 30+ years old.

except me :)

GspLAL
08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
except me :)

what?

MickeyMgl
08-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Generally speaking, veteran teams are more likely to win a championship than younger teams. Put another way, teams above the league average age are more likely to win it all than teams below the league average age. Obviously, there is such a thing as "too old", but when most of the guys are exactly 30, I don't think this is such a case.

One thing that was overlooked in the '08 Finals, and why that wasn't an upset, is that the Lakers would have been the youngest team in DECADES to win a championship, and as it is, were the youngest team in decades just to get as far as the Finals.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM

I am 34...

TEXASTITAN
08-05-2010, 09:57 PM

You are CRAZY.....The Heat are not a team they are a trio of #1 scoring options that will self destruct. The Celtics got worse by signing Shaq and the Lakers will be dethroned very very soon they can't win titles the next 2 years teams have gotten better and they will challenge LA this year.

justinnum1
08-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Heat core=26...Lakers core=30 advantage Heat.

shep33
08-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Lakers core= Fisher, Kobe, Ron, Pau, LO, Drew= 17 rings
Heats core= Chalmers, Wade, Miller, James, Bosh, Big Z= 1 Ring

Advantage DJ Mbenga

GoldenArmor24
08-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Advantage DJ Mbenga

:laugh:

rabzouz 96
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM

how exactly is it bias when you look at an agechart and state which team leads it?

rabzouz 96
08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
You are CRAZY.....The Heat are not a team they are a trio of #1 scoring options that will self destruct. The Celtics got worse by signing Shaq and the Lakers will be dethroned very very soon they can't win titles the next 2 years teams have gotten better and they will challenge LA this year.

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

GspLAL
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I am 34...

I meant in the NBA

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I meant in the NBA

I made a joke. It didn't work. I suck. Lets move on

Htownballa1622
08-06-2010, 12:06 AM
??? What are you talking about.he was talking about the celtics and lakers?

Htownballa1622
08-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

What are you talking about? He was talking about the celtics and lakers

mikey03
08-06-2010, 12:30 AM

Advantage DJ Mbenga

hahaha as a celtics fan, even i have to laugh at this

GspLAL
08-06-2010, 12:31 AM
I made a joke. It didn't work. I suck. Lets move on

lol :D

iggypop123
08-06-2010, 12:37 AM
what will the ratio be once shannon brown, caracter and ebanks sign?

cle12152433
08-06-2010, 12:52 AM
with age comes experience...

crzylaker
08-06-2010, 01:24 AM

Ya WTF are you talking about?

SouthSideRookie
08-06-2010, 01:35 AM

WHO is this referring to?!

THE_LOGO
08-06-2010, 01:55 AM
If you live here then look at the banners next time, they have way more great players then just bill russell. And 6 rings is lets see........6 times more than the heat have. And garnett didn't leave minnesota, he was traded, so its not the same as james. I bet your just one of the james bandwagon fans that don't pay attention to the rest of the league

Well, technically Lebron was traded too. :eyebrow:

GSW 2013 CHAMPS
08-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Well I guess being the oldest means you're the best? :)

THE_LOGO
08-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Once again, another thread that pits everyone against the Heat. It's like overnight, the Heat fans became obnoxious...without winning anything. Laker fan here but you gotta give respect where respect is due. The Celts have the most rings. Period. Here in LA, we're just excited about being close enough to catch them. We can sniff it. Doesn't mean its gonna happen but we feel like we got a good chance.

For you ******** Heat fans, you got one ring son. You still at the kiddie's table. Come talk to the big boys when you get to double digits.

As far as the thread, who cares how old everyone is? Last I checked the Lakers and Celtics were in the finals last year. The Heat, after getting bounced from the playoffs, picked up two quitters. Not exactly the right makeup for a championship team regardless of age.
:surrender: <--bosh :surrender: <--lebron

iggypop123
08-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Well, technically Lebron was traded too. :eyebrow:

SIGN and trade.

Avenged
08-06-2010, 02:58 AM

How exactly is that an advantage considering 30 isn't really that old? You can argue the Lakers are more mentally prepared, focused, and have more experience due to their age which would give them the "advantage".

SMH!
08-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Woah!

rabzouz 96
08-06-2010, 08:02 AM
What are you talking about? He was talking about the celtics and lakers

his post was BS so i replied with BS

JordansBulls
08-06-2010, 02:00 PM
what will the ratio be once shannon brown, caracter and ebanks sign?

Good question.