PDA

View Full Version : Can Eric Spolestra handle the new-look Heat ??

TheWatcher34
08-05-2010, 07:43 AM
this is not a bashing thread!! ;)

i saw this article on NBA.com http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/03/coaches/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

going into the season, it's pretty obvious that Spolestra, among other coaches, has the most pressure on his shoulders.

He's young and at the same time he has to take care of three of the "biggest egos" in the league.

In how far will he affect the team chemistry???
Or do you think he has an easy job with so much talent on his team???
What are your thoughts and preditcions???

ChiBulls91
08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
i feel like he's doomed to fail. the second this team starts to falter, Pat Riley will look to come in and coach the team himself

Minimal
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM
This. But I think he is not experienced enough to lead such a huge team.

torontosports10
08-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I wonder if he would just accept to be an asst under Riley?

LionBryan
08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Can LionBryan care?

heattiltheend94
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Spo has the respect of Bosh, wade, and LeBron. Respect is the center of team chemistry. He will be fine.

macc
08-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I think he's a great coach and will do just fine. I don't see any merit in why people are saying he can't handle it.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
yes, pat picked him for a reason

Boston33
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Read this in Bill Simmons' last mailbag, thought it was pretty hilarious...

Q: Overheard in Heat front office, Miami, on Dec. 02, 2010: "Send Spoelstra off to do this, send Spoelstra off to do that! Let Spoelstra take care of some Mickey Mouse nightclub somewhere! Send Spoelstra to pick somebody up at the airport!"
-- Matt, Seattle

SG: "That's the way Wade and LeBron wanted it."

"That's not the way I wanted it! That's not the way I wanted it! I was the incumbent coach, and I was passed over!"

LA_Raiders
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Nope, Thats too much ego on that team... Specially LeBroom & Bosh...

I don't see LeBroom beeing ok with the 2nd tier on the team, but that's what he wanted on his big decision bs... I think Riley will have to come down and fix those egos..

TheWatcher34
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Spo has the respect of Bosh, wade, and LeBron. Respect is the center of team chemistry. He will be fine.

your assessment is vague and very optimistic, obviously a wishful thinking homer post!

IMO respect needs to be deserved in the first place!! D-Wade is familiar to him but what has Spolestra done so far to be well-respected by LeBosh??

Ladies Man16
08-05-2010, 11:15 AM
No he will be under pressure and eventually kill himself... No but seriously i think the p*$$y 3 will try and take charge

Jaji
08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I give him a year. After the Heat don't win the Finals next year, he'll be replaced. Riley?

Statik1
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
You know Riley is licking his chops to get out there and coach. We all saw what he did to Vangundy...

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I give him a year. After the Heat don't win the Finals next year, he'll be replaced. Riley?

maybe if boston doesnt win doc leaves? doc to miami?

MiamiWadeCounty
08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
spoelstra will be fine. its not like he is on his own. the heat have a good coaching staff and pat riley is always there to help. if they dont make it out the east hes gone. if they lose in the finals theyll give him 1 more yr

TheWatcher34
08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
maybe if boston doesnt win doc leaves? doc to miami?

too early to say but Doc certainly can handle big time players' personalities...
and he has one more year left in his contract...
and his family lives in Orlando...

Drunk Kosar 19
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
arriba-arriba

JAZZNC
He's as good as gone. Pat Riley will be back. TBH if the finals is gonna be Heat/Lakers I would rather see Riley vs Jackson on the bench. I dunno, I just don't see him lasting all that long.

TheTakeOver24
Spoelstra is a very good player developer, i think he'd be better off coaching a young team... but he is also a very intelligent young coach, with two years and playoff experience under his belt i think he will be just fine... also has Riley's defensive philosophy... i believe Heat were second in team defense last year

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
too early to say but Doc certainly can handle big time players' personalities...
and he has one more year left in his contract...
and his family lives in Orlando...

exaclly. i like spo but i like doc more. should be interestling to see what he does after his contract is up

LA_Raiders
08-05-2010, 11:59 AM

For now, wait until LeBroom starts getting less touches than wade...

kjoke
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
yes he can

Rego247
08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Spolstra has been given a Ferrari, all he has to do is park it.

dhopisthename
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
spo can handle it and I don't think Riley wants to come back, spo is a riley clone and should do fine

Brooklyn Mets
08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
i dont think it maters what he does.. if they succeed he succeeds and if they fail he looks really bad for not winning with three superstars gets fired and they hire somebody else.. i just dont think he is going to have much say with the team.. those three are going to run the show..

CrotchetyOldMan
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I think it's pretty unlikely he'll be able to manage those egos...but in the end it makes no difference cause Riles will be there to pick up the pieces midseason if he has to ...

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
spo has hand picked by pat..... cant question pat... he'll be ok

JasonJohnHorn
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
There are few coaches in the history of the game who could manage this group of players. Phil Jackson comes to mind, and yes, Pat Riley as well. Likely Pop as well, but Spolestra? I admit he didnt have much of a squad last season, but he did have some talent, talent enough that Phil Jackson or Pop or Riley likely would have gotten into the second round and certainly would have finished with a better record.

I wont go so far as to say that the season will be a disaster, but unless Lebron or Wade asserts themselves as the alpha dog and the others fall in line, things will be rough goings in terms of chemistry regardless of how talented these players are. Riley stepped down once when the team wasnt winning and gave the losing season over to one assistant only to see him leave to 'spend more time with his family' (aka get another job coaching an NBA team in Florida because he obviously DID NOT WANT TO STEP DOWN) once the team started winning (god forbid Riley's win/loss % goes down) and the same thing will likely happen with Spolestra. Riley will be on the side-lines before season's end asseting himself as the alpha-dog and all others will fall in line. Who is going to argue with "When I coach Magic and Kareem -insert arguement here-"?

HakeemTheDream
08-05-2010, 12:44 PM
If Pat doesn't think Spoelstra can get it done, he'll fire him just like he fired SVG. He's probably talking to teams who would be interested in hiring Spoelstra as their head coach right now, just in case.

CostanzaNumba0
08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
expect riley by january...

SouthSideRookie
08-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Riley will definately be coaching this team eventually.

NYY09
08-05-2010, 01:00 PM
this is not a bashing thread!! ;)

i saw this article on NBA.com http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/03/coaches/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

going into the season, it's pretty obvious that Spolestra, among other coaches, has the most pressure on his shoulders.

He's young and at the same time he has to take care of three of the "biggest egos" in the league.

In how far will he affect the team chemistry???
What are your thoughts and preditcions???

This is like asking if Frankie Muniz can handle Jenna Jameson

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 01:09 PM
This is like asking if Frankie Muniz can handle Jenna Jameson

lmao im guessing u think spo cant?

Heater4life
08-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I love fans reactions considering none of them have watched the Heat play more than 10+ games a season (at best) yet they KNOW if Spolestra can or cant handle the "three egos".

First and foremost, Spolestra is a workaholic, very few prepare for a game the way he does. You dont go working 16 years under Pat Riley with no prior coaching skills and NOT pick up a thing or two. One trait for example, the guy wont play rookies/doesnt trust them, hence why Michael Beasley couldnt get consistent minutes. but im sure you all knew that. Players enjoy playing for him, he is a tactition. He develops ALL his players extremely well (wade attributes his progression to Spo).

Everyone is basing their argument on stan van gundy. Stan Gundy got fired because he had talent and was a nervous wreck, he didnt have the calm to mesh that group together, nor did he command any respect due to the fact that his players saw his uneasyness in tough situations. Players wont a confident leader, its rubs off. Even with Riley at the helm Shaq was impossible to deal with, but he provided confidence, he made his players believe (15 strong).Even then this isnt the case with Bron, Wade, and Bosh. Wade is the oldest and leader of this team, he has won before and will terminate any issue as leader when problems arise. Bosh and Bron came to Miami to win, and have checked egos at the door.

So yes, Spo can handle this team.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
^this just about sums it up

heattiltheend94
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
your assessment is vague and very optimistic, obviously a wishful thinking homer post!

IMO respect needs to be deserved in the first place!! D-Wade is familiar to him but what has Spolestra done so far to be well-respected by LeBosh??

Wade, LeBron, and Bosh all answered saying that Spo is their coach and they don't want Riley to come back.
To counter your second arguement, Spo managed to make Wade and role players (most will become role players except Chalmers, Anthony, and maybe Beasley) get into the playoffs and win nearly 50 games.
Is that vague enough for you?

NYY09
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I love fans reactions considering none of them have watched the Heat play more than 10+ games a season (at best) yet they KNOW if Spolestra can or cant handle the "three egos".

First and foremost, Spolestra is a workaholic, very few prepare for a game the way he does. You dont go working 16 years under Pat Riley with no prior coaching skills and NOT pick up a thing or two. One trait for example, the guy wont play rookies/doesnt trust them, hence why Michael Beasley couldnt get consistent minutes. but im sure you all knew that. Players enjoy playing for him, he is a tactition. He develops ALL his players extremely well (wade attributes his progression to Spo).

Everyone is basing their argument on stan van gundy. Stan Gundy got fired because he had talent and was a nervous wreck, he didnt have the calm to mesh that group together, nor did he command any respect due to the fact that his players saw his uneasyness in tough situations. Players wont a confident leader, its rubs off. Even with Riley at the helm Shaq was impossible to deal with, but he provided confidence, he made his players believe (15 strong).Even then this isnt the case with Bron, Wade, and Bosh. Wade is the oldest and leader of this team, he has won before and will terminate any issue as leader when problems arise. Bosh and Bron came to Miami to win, and have checked egos at the door.

So yes, Spo can handle this team.

I hear ya and all, but when it comes down to it its very simple - when the stakes are this high you want a General in your corner not a Sergeant.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I hear ya and all, but when it comes down to it its very simple - when the stakes are this high you want a General in your corner not a Sergeant.

they have a general, pat, and while the sergeant is on the front lines in the action the general will be watching closly

ManRam
08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I definitely think he can. He's a player's coach, and I think that's what this team needs. They are really truly good friends with each other. LeBron is one of the least selfish players in the game. Wade just wants to win, and Bosh realizes his role. The only way I honestly see problems arising is if this team starts losing a lot of games...and since I don't think that's humanly possible, I don't think there are going to be any major issues.

NYY09
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
they have a general, pat, and while the sergeant is on the front lines in the action the general will be watching closly

Sounds nice in theory but again, I dont see it working out like that. The coach needs to be the leader without being undermined by "the general" upstairs. Without spoon feeding this thought, I just don't see Spo getting the respect Pat would and with this combination I think they need someone with Pats stature running things...

Heater4life
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM

And Spolestra is every bit the general, he demands the best and gets the best out of his players. Hence why the Heat had 45+ win seasons with Dwayne Wade and nothing else. Remember calm demeanor does not imply not garnering respect. (phil jackson). Again, 16+ years under Riley, he learned from the best. Another thing you guys dont know, because you have not followed this team as i have; Spolestra does not panic (ala riles and jackson) good or bad his demeanor is constant with his focus on winning the game and getting the best out of his team. (something Gundy didnt have for all of you refrencing him). If he has Wades respect (which he has for all he has tought wade) he will garner Lebron's and Bosh's as well.

NYY09
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I definitely think he can. He's a player's coach, and I think that's what this team needs. They are really truly good friends with each other. LeBron is one of the least selfish players in the game. Wade just wants to win, and Bosh realizes his role. The only way I honestly see problems arising is if this team starts losing a lot of games...and since I don't think that's humanly possible, I don't think there are going to be any major issues.

Have you ever tried working closely with friends? and i dont mean a home depot kind of job....

ManRam
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Have you ever tried working closely with friends? and i dont mean a home depot kind of job....

No. But I've played 16 years of competitive sports, often with my best friends...and frankly, it's easier to deal with minor problems when you really get along than it is with people you don't. I got to the state championship game as a sophomore and my two best friends (a year older) were my main running mates. It was great. I know the NBA is a different being, but still...

If you think playing with people you like is worse in any way than playing with people you don't like I'd love to hear why.

They all have a common goal, and as long as they win, they'll be fine. Neither are selfish players either, and understand that the spotlight is going to be split up. They wouldn't have all gone to Miami if they weren't willing to cooperate and be selfless.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 01:48 PM

im starting a business with my best friend.... can be frustrating at times but worth it

Heater4life
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

Honestly i have no idea why this is a topic on the General forum considering no one other than a Heat fan can give a knowledgeable opinion, on Spolestra. You guys dont know his tendancies, subtitution packages, schemes, demeanor, scouting ability, work ethic, etc... How can anyone who knows nothing about the guy give a knowledgeable opinion?

ElMarroAfamado
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
i have a feeling he will fail ...everyone is so sure they are going to win a title
when in reality everyone IN THEIR RIGHT MIND knows they are not....
people will be angry and call for his head....

the Heat will be a mediocre team next year.
Yes. I Said It.

ElMarroAfamado
08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
""You complained about our players only wanting money over championships, you complain about collusion, you complain about leagacys, you complain about our bench, it just goes ON and On and On and On with you haters...You speak of respect, this team will garner that, just wait for tip off."

"

:facepalm:

NYY09
08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
No. But I've played 16 years of competitive sports, often with my best friends...and frankly, it's easier to deal with minor problems when you really get along than it is with people you don't. I got to the state championship game as a sophomore and my two best friends (a year older) were my main running mates. It was great. I know the NBA is a different being, but still...

If you think playing with people you like is worse in any way than playing with people you don't like I'd love to hear why.

They all have a common goal, and as long as they win, they'll be fine. Neither are selfish players either, and understand that the spotlight is going to be split up. They wouldn't have all gone to Miami if they weren't willing to cooperate and be selfless.

This is exactly the point, the stakes are highest they can be in this particular situation. Not taking anything away from you accomplishment, which I applaud in all seriousness, but its a completely different animal.

im starting a business with my best friend.... can be frustrating at times but worth it

I wish you the best of luck my friend, I did the same about 10 years ago. The company got to about 400 employees over the course of the first 3 years and all i have to say is make sure you have good lawyers and have everything detailed out in writing. :)

Heater4life
08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
""You complained about our players only wanting money over championships, you complain about collusion, you complain about leagacys, you complain about our bench, it just goes ON and On and On and On with you haters...You speak of respect, this team will garner that, just wait for tip off."

"

:facepalm:

Lets sig bet. since its such a :facepalm: .

heat win the ship this year.

???

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
i have a feeling he will fail ...everyone is so sure they are going to win a title

Yes. I Said It.

if this computer wasnt really old and crappy i would give u a facepalm lol but seriously.... to say the heat wont win the ship is one thing but to say a team with arguably 2 of the top 5 players in the world on the same team will b mediocre is crazy and flat out ignorant

Jonathan2323
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Yes. I Said It.

Ignore list. The Hater list is growing by the second.

Heater4life
08-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Yes. I Said It.

Such a strong statement, since you feel thast confident about it, lets sig bet.

mikealike305
08-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Yes. I Said It.

sig bet!!!

scutch11
08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
i predict the heat are gonna be a lottery team next year!!!!!

jk of course their gonna be good...doesnt matter whether spoelstra or riley is coaching theyll be a top 2 seed in the east

NYY09
08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Honestly i have no idea why this is a topic on the General forum considering no one other than a Heat fan can give a knowledgeable opinion, on Spolestra. You guys dont know his tendancies, subtitution packages, schemes, demeanor, scouting ability, work ethic, etc... How can anyone who knows nothing about the guy give a knowledgeable opinion?

Who said our opinions were knowledgeable? :rolleyes:

BAMF
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Knowledgeable opinions only come from heats fans since July 2010!

XxigglesphanxX
08-05-2010, 03:30 PM
no. the sooner we get spolstra out the better.

xbrackattackx
08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Pat will be coaching before christmas.

The Raven
08-05-2010, 04:32 PM
He better or else he's gone

UGotRondo'd
08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I think hell just be a puppet with riley pulling his strings

heathonater
08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
he's got immense pressure to win the nba title this year, because if he doesnt it would not surprise me at all to see riley take over the head coach spot.

dodie53
08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Eric will do just fine