PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ainge Interview: "Take the best player"

silverbax
08-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Danny Ainge talks about his philosophy in drafting or signing players, as well as his thoughts on what the Celtics need for the coming season. This interview was just a few days ago, and now seems just slightly prophetic:

Danny Ainge Interview: "Take the best player...no matter what age" (http://www.basketballelite.com/index.php/sports-business/danny-ainge-interview-boston-celtics-gm/)

tmacsc2
08-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Celtics forum?

magichatnumber9
08-05-2010, 07:29 AM
I don't care what anyone says in the NBA draft system were it thins out very quick you always draft the best available player. You never draft for need it will burn you 90% of the time. Celtics fans are curious about who will have the better career Avery Bradley or James Anderson? We will see

koreancabbage
08-05-2010, 09:19 AM
draft the best player - if he is a position you need, its a bonus.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 09:24 AM
this allowed him to stockpile talent to make the KG/Ray trades. So it may not be the worst idea.
It also was what Atlanta used in the early 2000's, when they took 8 straight wings...

BOSTON617
08-05-2010, 09:32 AM
I don't care what anyone says in the NBA draft system were it thins out very quick you always draft the best available player. You never draft for need it will burn you 90% of the time. Celtics fans are curious about who will have the better career Avery Bradley or James Anderson? We will see

this..

Jaji
08-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Regardless of age? That makes no sense. Why not sign Kareem? Age effects talent level. In other words: Shaq is not the best player. Sounds like he's just trying to justify a not so spectacular FA signing.

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Regardless of age? That makes no sense. Why not sign Kareem? Age effects talent level. In other words: Shaq is not the best player. Sounds like he's just trying to justify a not so spectacular FA signing.

:facepalm:

cheetos185
08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
this allowed him to stockpile talent to make the KG/Ray trades. So it may not be the worst idea.
It also was what Atlanta used in the early 2000's, when they took 8 straight wings...

i didn't know marvin williams was the best player over deron cp3 bynum and granger

mikantsass
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
NBA you have to draft the best available. Its not like the other sports where there are multiple rounds in the draft to address needs. The NBA draft is all about talent and potential

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
i didn't know marvin williams was the best player over deron cp3 bynum and granger

well, Atlanta seemed to think so at the time.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
NBA you have to draft the best available. Its not like the other sports where there are multiple rounds in the draft to address needs. The NBA draft is all about talent and potential

this is actually the correct answer

Jaji
08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
:facepalm:

:laugh:

Yeah, guy. Shaq's the missing piece! Too bad this isn't 2004.

avrpatsfan
08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
draft the best player - if he is a position you need, its a bonus.
This.

Jaji
08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Draft the best player then trade him for Anfernee Hardaway.

Chronz
08-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Best player can mean alot of things. They felt he would end up as the best player, I know this because it was obvious CP3 was the perfect fit for them but they took potential for greatness over a guy who looked promising.

Marvin had the best potential (he had Tmac potential), had he cashed in on his physical gifts he wouldve been a superior player to any of those guys, this only gos to prove that you need more than genetics to make it as a star.

Still it was moronic, but youve got to understand, nobody thought Granger would become such a deadeye shooter. CP3 put up stats nobody his size ever has, nobody couldve predicted his greatness would compare to that Tmac potential, then theres Bynum. The success rate of players who share his draft stock and athletic markers never amounted to anything.

Giantwarrior
08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
isnt that the point of the draft?

draft the best player...

ohreally
08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Well, the idea of drafting the best available player may be sound, but how you judge the best available player may not be. Pre-draft rankings always seem weighted by the makeup of the draft; if there are mostly bigs in a draft, the best of everyone else will wind up being rated higher than anyone outside of the best prospect bigs, so even if the sixth or seventh big is a better player than any available smaller player, the best of the smaller players will be ranked higher since the bigs in those rankings will have more of their faults highlighted by comparisons than the smaller players will.

Since talented bigs are often seen as more desirable and harder to come by than smaller guys, if the draft is weighted with guards, the rankings will probably be more skewed away from true bpa.

No matter what you do in the way of pre-draft analysis, it will always be difficult to get around the biases based on the overall class.

There has to be some consideration of bpa, need, and time horizon as related to your near- and long-term plans when deciding whom to draft. There really is no reliable method for assuring that any bpa is REALLY the bpa, so pretending there is is as much fool's gold as selecting based on need alone.

If judging all of these factors was really easy on any level, there would be far fewer "mistakes" in drafting order.

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-05-2010, 12:02 PM

The heat has no one that can play Shaq straight up.
Joel - nope
Magloire - Nope
Big Z - nope

Shaq at 40 % is still a force in this league when motivated and used properly. I still think the Heat are better but dont front like If the Heat signed Shaq u wouldnt be hyped...

Bryrob58
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought that was pretty obvious. The NBA is about collecting assets and talent, and moving them to build the system you want. The teams with the most talent win. Plain and simple.

The only sport that should draft for need is football, because there are so many positions, instant production, and the money forces expectations on the player drafted. It would be unacceptable for a guy making 30 million to sit on the bench for years, even if that means taking away from his potential.

Jaji
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
The heat has no one that can play Shaq straight up.
Joel - nope
Magloire - Nope
Big Z - nope

Shaq at 40 % is still a force in this league when motivated and used properly. I still think the Heat are better but dont front like If the Heat signed Shaq u wouldnt be hyped...

Shaq is a non-factor at this point. Why do you think no one was interested in signing him? I would have liked him on the Heat only to see him get another ring and possibly see Kobe in the Finals. That's it. And that's only because I've always liked Shaq but he brings very little to a team at this point in his career. He'll be hard pressed to drop 10 a game next year. He's a better fit for Boston though because they're a half court team. He would only slow the Heat down.

Bryrob58
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Shaq is a non-factor at this point. Why do you think no one was interested in signing him? I would have liked him on the Heat only to see him get another ring and possibly see Kobe in the Finals. That's it. And that's only because I've always liked Shaq but he brings very little to a team at this point in his career. He'll be hard pressed to drop 10 a game next year. He's a better fit for Boston though because they're a half court team. He would only slow the Heat down.

That's the point. He plays defence and creates the game's tempo. He's perfect for Boston and only makes them better. Plus, basketball changes in the playoffs. We all know that the teams that can win in the half court, wins.

MacFitz92
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Hindsight is 20/20.

Celtic AL
08-05-2010, 01:14 PM

:facepalm: Shaqa not the Best player Danny ment the Draft!

Bryrob58
08-05-2010, 01:14 PM
As for the Marvin Williams thing, he was not the best player in the draft. He had the potential for greatness, but Chris Paul and Deron Williams were much more proven talents coming into the draft. Williams was a 6th man at UNC. Also, drafting Bogut was drafting for need, since bigs are much more valuable in this league. Deron Williams was the best talent in that draft, and fell to #4. That draft is a perfect example of why teams should draft for talent over need and "potential". It should have went, D Will, CP3, Bogut, M Will, Felton.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2010, 01:18 PM
As for the Marvin Williams thing, he was not the best player in the draft. He had the potential for greatness, but Chris Paul and Deron Williams were much more proven talents coming into the draft. Williams was a 6th man at UNC. Also, drafting Bogut was drafting for need, since bigs are much more valuable in this league. Deron Williams was the best talent in that draft, and fell to #4. That draft is a perfect example of why teams should draft for talent over need and "potential". It should have went, D Will, CP3, Bogut, M Will, Felton.

eh, Deron was kinda chubby, and was projected as a tweener. Remember, he had Luther Head and that tiny little guard whose names escapes me, Deion something or other maybe, and was not projected to be the player he has become. Even Deron's rookie year was highly forgettable, until he took exercise and nutrition seriously.
And CP3 is and always has been better than Williams

unwantedplayer
08-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Maybe his asking price was too much? The guy still play and he will help any team that runs the half-court offense.

ManRam
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
This isn't going anywhere. Also, please don't spam your blog here so blatantly.