PDA

View Full Version : JPA called up (Update: Post 10) !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO

schenn02
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Buck goes on 15 day dl. Takes 3 stitches to right thumb. No callup announced but should be Arencebia
16 minutes ago via UberTwitter
from Barry Davis
:clap:

BlueJayCarter
08-04-2010, 04:52 PM
JPA deserves the call-up with the season he has been having at Triple AAA. Hopefully they do not call up Raul Chavez who is also at Triple AAA.

If JPA does get the call up Jerolman should move up to Triple AAA.

Should be some interesting roster moves in the next couple of week

blujaysrock
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope it's JPA, hopefully he can continue his power surge in the MLB.

nstojic
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
watch, they'll call up chavez....

MaHaRaJaH
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
watch, they'll call up chavez....

:laugh2:
I know

schenn02
08-04-2010, 05:01 PM
its possible, but That wouldn't send a good message to JPA

BlueJayCarter
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
It wouldn't send a good message to JPA. But, nothing is impossible with the management.

If it is JPA he should get a fair chunk of playing time not just Molina every day and JPA once a week or off the bench.

Kenny Powders
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Thread name should be changed until it is official

Twitchy
08-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Thread name should be changed until it is official

Just what I was thinking. If/When JPA is officially called up I'll change the title again.

That's too bad for Buck, but it should be exciting to see how JPA does. I'm not as high on him as everyone else but the way he's played he's earned a shot.

DocJayzSpikx
08-04-2010, 05:23 PM
So it is JPA sweet

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2010/08/04/buck_dl/

fatkev78
08-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice!

T.O. Fan
08-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Just what I was thinking. If/When JPA is officially called up I'll change the title again.

That's too bad for Buck, but it should be exciting to see how JPA does. I'm not as high on him as everyone else but the way he's played he's earned a shot.

It's official.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2010/08/04/buck_dl/

Macedonian
08-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Dream team!:)

Lind 1B
Hill 2B
Escobar SS
Bautista 3B
Snider RF
Wells CF
Lewis LF
Arencibia C
??? DH

BlueJayFanDan
08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I am excited to see what he can do!

Bob_at_york
08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I am excited to see how he does but I understand that he could struggle these last two months.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-04-2010, 05:49 PM
what happens to him then once buck comes back unless we trade molina or someone

Nofear
08-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I'd rather he just came up in September but thats just me. I always find it more difficult when you know he's going down in 15 days regardless of performance.

If he plays good or bad, he goes down wondering if he could have or should have done more to earn a spot.

I just prefer it when the player knows he's earned a spot and he'll get a chance to play through some tough times. I think clubs know it too because they sometimes bypass specs in this type of situtation. I know all you dudes with mancrushes definately won't agree but most times clubs will bypass people like JPA when its just a DL callup

tuck25
08-04-2010, 06:00 PM
******* ing Awesome!!!! Cant wait to see him play, but knowing Cito that will still be a awhile.

DocJayzSpikx
08-04-2010, 06:13 PM
******* ing Awesome!!!! Cant wait to see him play, but knowing Cito that will still be a awhile.

Good point, but he should start Friday, we shall see I guess

2009mvp
08-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I'd rather he just came up in September but thats just me. I always find it more difficult when you know he's going down in 15 days regardless of performance.

If he plays good or bad, he goes down wondering if he could have or should have done more to earn a spot.

I just prefer it when the player knows he's earned a spot and he'll get a chance to play through some tough times. I think clubs know it too because they sometimes bypass specs in this type of situtation. I know all you dudes with mancrushes definately won't agree but most times clubs will bypass people like JPA when its just a DL callup

Buck's eligible to return on either the 19th or 20th (dunno if today counts), but that would be assuming the thumb heals in less time than that. If JPA's hitting (and perhaps more importantly, if Cito feels comfortable with the way he's handling the staff) they could just keep him up and give Buck more time to rest until the rosters expand. Or, it's not inconceivable for them to shorten the rest of their bench for ~1 week by holding 3 catchers once they activate Buck, who keep in mind can also play some first base. They've got some options in this situation, though it probably does all come back to how often Cito's gonna play him. If he's not might as well ship him back to Vegas for the rest of the year.

Asham
08-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Funny how at the beginning of the season when he was hitting 230 in vegas, everybody couldnt wait to trade the guy, now all of a sudden he's the new savior at catcher for the Jays

idrinkpepsi
08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Cant wait to see JPA in action

:D

Arencibia24
08-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Yesssssssssssssssss!!

T.O.Bombinators
08-04-2010, 07:15 PM
sick

H-MYK
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Can't wait to see him in action.

dtmagnet
08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Couldn't they also keep him on and have him DH a few games?

B2theRY
08-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Lind 1B
Hill 2B
Escobar SS
Bautista 3B
Snider RF
Wells CF
Lewis LF
Arencibia C
??? DH

remove vernon and that contract than its a dream!

Eagles4Lyfe
08-04-2010, 09:47 PM
lmao people are so exited one guy even made an accuont named after JPA LMFAO...now thats jokes

nithanyo
08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
remove vernon and that contract than its a dream!

Contract aside Wells is arguably the best player on this team(even better than Bautista imo). He has been producing consistently all season long

Clearly im a Wells' fan tho :D vv

nithanyo
08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I hope he gets most of the starts

hlhiii
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Contract aside Wells is arguably the best player on this team(even better than Bautista imo). He has been producing consistently all season long

Clearly im a Wells' fan tho :D vv

Wells is having a great year. Bautista is having an MVP-type year.

ILDD
08-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Lind 1B
Hill 2B
Escobar SS
Bautista 3B
Snider RF
Wells CF
Lewis LF
Arencibia C
??? DH

Exactly what I was thinking for 2011, probably with Encarnacion in at DH.

Assuming that Lind can actually hold down 1B of course.

frostilicus
08-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Shall we place the over/under at 2.5 games played before Buck returns from the DL?

hlhiii
08-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm really excited with the jpa call-up but is anyone as excited as me about our other catching prospect jeroloman? The guy is a walk machine. I love a good walker. Anyone know who is better defensively? Maybe Arencibia could be our DH/1B and Jeroloman catches.

broncosfan_101
08-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Vernon is having a great season? That's news to me. Great April, decent May, average June, bad July...he's trending downhill big time.

Anyways, here's to JPA killing it.

Bob_at_york
08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Vernon is having a great season? That's news to me. Great April, decent May, average June, bad July...he's trending downhill big time.

really wish we could have found a buyer for him at the trade deadline.

FlakeyFool
08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I hope he's not a josh phelps 2.0

nearyG
08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
ive been waiting for this, cant wait to see him suit up in a jays uniform

StayOnBoard
08-04-2010, 11:06 PM

Ugh.. unfortunately so true. He's really not been as good as his numbers indicate. Take away that monster April and he's very pedestrian. Fans will cut him some slack though given he'll hit 25-30 homers.

really wish we could have found a buyer for him at the trade deadline.

No way anyone's taking on that contract. Im SURE Wells is on Waivers right now while every GM in the league is thinking "not in a million years". Given the Jays only have what... 40-45 million or so allocated to players next season? I am shocked he isn't crippling the team more. At least this year he's serviceable.... even if he's not spectacular.

Edit: Forgot the original topic lol :D JPA is gonna be a stud... a bit of what Rotoworld had to say (my apologies if it was posted before)

Blue Jays purchased the contract of C J.P. Arencibia from Triple-A Las Vegas.
The 24-year-old top prospect has produced a ridiculous 31 home runs and and a .998 OPS in 379 at-bats with Triple-A Las Vegas this season. He'll get a real shot to shine in the big leagues while John Buck nurses a cut on his hand for the next two weeks, and he should do well with the opportunity. Arencibia is worth checking out in almost every mixed league.

nithanyo
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Vernon is on pace for 33 HR and a .275 avg. Before he signed that mamonth contract he never hit more than 33 hrs. He hit above .300 twice through a whole season. If you ask me we are getting our moneys worth. Why do fans expect Albert pujols numbers. When JP gave that contract to him we all knew he wasnt going to do much better than his 06 or 03 numbers. So where did all this expectation come from?

B2theRY
08-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Vernons a steriod junky!

Worst Contract in MLB history.

nithanyo
08-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Vernons a steriod junky!

I hate fans who hate their own players. I bet Bautista used roids too right? How bout Aaron hill and Adam lind that season? Those guys must be steroid jukies too

Ur pathetic

StayOnBoard
08-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Vernons a steriod junky!

Well... let's not go crazy.

Probably top 5 worst current contracts in baseball though.

I'd take Vernon Wells over Soriano and Gary Matthews Jr. for sure, even if Mathews is half the price.

And if we're talking history, Carl Pavano to the Yankees was epic failure as was Jason Schmidt to the Dodgers.

There's a great article I think on Yahoo that goes into this in great detail - actually.. Ill go find it :)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-10-worst-baseball-contracts-of-the-2000s?urn=mlb-206780
Here we go ^^

OMG Mike Hampton to the Rockies, how could I forget?? That was FAR worse than Vernon's contract...

Don't get me wrong - Well's contract is ridicules... but definitely not the worst in MLB history

Bob_at_york
08-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Vernon is on pace for 33 HR and a .275 avg. Before he signed that mamonth contract he never hit more than 33 hrs. He hit above .300 twice through a whole season. If you ask me we are getting our moneys worth. Why do fans expect Albert pujols numbers. When JP gave that contract to him we all knew he wasnt going to do much better than his 06 or 03 numbers. So where did all this expectation come from?

I didn't think he deserved the contract a year before he got it. I don't think he will ever be worth the contract in my mind.

broncosfan_101
08-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Well, to put it simply, he was paid after a season where he was a 5.7 WAR player. He's being paid like a 4-5 WAR player, he should produce like one. In the 4 years before the extension, he averaged 4.1 WAR. He should at least be averaging that under his new contract. This season he's sitting at 2.8, but with the way he's been trending, he'll wind up with a maximum of 3.5. It's a huge upgrade over the 3 WAR COMBINED he put up in the 3 years immediately following him signing, but we need much more production from that money.

scotttube
08-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Yesssssssssssssssss!!

lmao people are so exited one guy even made an accuont named after JPA LMFAO...now thats jokes

Check the date again. That guy made his account in 2007 and waited 3 years for that post. I wonder if that is Arencibia himself lol. Who would have made an Arencibia account like right after he signed and waited 3 years to post???

Gibby
08-05-2010, 12:37 AM
So excited for JPA's promotion!! Also excited for Snider's promotion to the 8th spot!!!!

StealingSigns
08-05-2010, 12:51 AM
So excited for JPA's promotion!! Also excited for Snider's promotion to the 8th spot!!!!

Hey Gibby! Cito had him hit leadoff today :speechless:

Gibby
08-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Hey Gibby! Cito had him hit leadoff today :speechless:

OMG i didnt see the game today. i checked box score and notice J-Mac in 9th spot so i assumed he didnt play. So 9th to 1st thats a nice promotion. lol lets see where he is tomorrow (i will definately try to watch).

wamco
08-05-2010, 08:39 AM
wells got beltran money. As i said at the time, you don't give jordan money to pippen.

R. Johnson#3
08-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Check the date again. That guy made his account in 2007 and waited 3 years for that post. I wonder if that is Arencibia himself lol. Who would have made an Arencibia account like right after he signed and waited 3 years to post???

Yeah, it's kind of like making a Reed Johnson account when he was still a nobody.....

Kenny Powders
08-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Shall we place the over/under at 2.5 games played before Buck returns from the DL?

I would love to say over. But with Cito manning the bench, anything is possible, and by anything I mean Jose ******* Molina becoming the everyday catcher until Buck returns.

Arencibia24
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
:d

Arencibia24
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM

I've been an Arencibia fan since '05, when he started at UT. Once he was drafted by the Jays, I joined a lot of Jays sites, but I guess I forgot about this one until I started searching, lol.

1hardcore
08-05-2010, 12:22 PM

Lind 1B
Hill 2B
Escobar SS
Bautista 3B
Snider RF
Wells CF
Lewis LF
Arencibia C
??? DH

DH would be Buck

bartron_44
08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
DH would be Buck

How about Adam Dunn at DH :)....(he was placed on waivers)

BlueJayFanDan
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Don't tell JP Ricciardi we want Dunn :rolleyes:. So glad that man is gone. There is only room for one JP in Toronto and his name is Arencibia.

2009mvp
08-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Yah but there's not a chance in hell the Jays get the chance to put a claim in. Plus, Adam Dunn doesn't even like baseball.

Gibby
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it's kind of like making a Reed Johnson account when he was still a nobody.....

i wouldnt say he was a nobody. he was a regular from 04-06. he was always a fan favourite. i loved the guy's hustle and high socks. :)

B2theRY
08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I hate fans who hate their own players. I bet Bautista used roids too right? How bout Aaron hill and Adam lind that season? Those guys must be steroid jukies too

Ur pathetic

im pathetic because i dont like every player on the jays?
youre a ****ing tool.

so you like EVERY single Jay? None of them should ever be traded?

I hate people like you who think every player on your fave team is the greatest player at that position in all of sports..

and i didnt ask you to like me.
but than shouldnt you hate yourself for hating another Jays Fan?

B2theRY
08-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Well... let's not go crazy.

Probably top 5 worst current contracts in baseball though.

I'd take Vernon Wells over Soriano and Gary Matthews Jr. for sure, even if Mathews is half the price.

And if we're talking history, Carl Pavano to the Yankees was epic failure as was Jason Schmidt to the Dodgers.

There's a great article I think on Yahoo that goes into this in great detail - actually.. Ill go find it :)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-10-worst-baseball-contracts-of-the-2000s?urn=mlb-206780
Here we go ^^

OMG Mike Hampton to the Rockies, how could I forget?? That was FAR worse than Vernon's contract...

Don't get me wrong - Well's contract is ridicules... but definitely not the worst in MLB history

teams will always overpay for not their own player becuase they assume this guy will be a good fit.

The Jays overpaid for vernon and they shouldve known better.
Its my personal opinion that he was on 'riods.
also it didnt hurt that he had Delgado batting behind him.

i mean let me guess some of you will say Shawn Green wasnt on Riods either right?

or hes not a Jay anymore so we can trash him.

B2theRY
08-05-2010, 02:51 PM
DH would be Buck

bring back delgado ;)

miller74
08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
JPA deserves the call-up with the season he has been having at Triple AAA. Hopefully they do not call up Raul Chavez who is also at Triple AAA.

If JPA does get the call up Jerolman should move up to Triple AAA.

Should be some interesting roster moves in the next couple of week

Not much of a point because the way Cito works if Buck is healthy he will play the majority of the way through, so instead of leaving JPA on the Jays bench he will most likey head back to AAA at some point

miller74
08-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I havent seen him play doesnt anyone think that JPA would be able to make the swtich to 3B?
He probably has the arm but not sure about his mobility

StayOnBoard
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
teams will always overpay for not their own player becuase they assume this guy will be a good fit.

The Jays overpaid for vernon and they shouldve known better.
Its my personal opinion that he was on 'riods.
also it didnt hurt that he had Delgado batting behind him.

i mean let me guess some of you will say Shawn Green wasnt on Riods either right?

or hes not a Jay anymore so we can trash him.

I agree - they should have known better...

The roids thing is pure spectulation though... I dont think he was but we can agree to disagree here.

Also having guys bat in front/behind you is overrated in baseball.

Again, Im not arguing with you... Well's contract is ridicules... but the worst in MLB history is one thing that its not.

nithanyo
08-05-2010, 03:41 PM
im pathetic because i dont like every player on the jays?
youre a ****ing tool.

so you like EVERY single Jay? None of them should ever be traded?

I hate people like you who think every player on your fave team is the greatest player at that position in all of sports..

and i didnt ask you to like me.
but than shouldnt you hate yourself for hating another Jays Fan?

You dont have to love every player on your team, but to say he used steroids is ridiculous. Especially when theres 0 evidence of that. The last 3 seasons he was injured u ****in ******. Even than in 08 he was on pace for 30hr and a .300 avg.

boilerguy2412
08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Vernon Wells is a good ball player. He has played well this season. He is what he is, when he's healthy he's a .275, 30 hr, 90-95 RBI, 10 SB, decent CF. What's wrong with that. I don't understand why some of you focus on his contract so much. It's not the NHl where we have a salary cap and his contract is screwing up our future.

Nofear
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Buck's eligible to return on either the 19th or 20th (dunno if today counts), but that would be assuming the thumb heals in less time than that. If JPA's hitting (and perhaps more importantly, if Cito feels comfortable with the way he's handling the staff) they could just keep him up and give Buck more time to rest until the rosters expand. Or, it's not inconceivable for them to shorten the rest of their bench for ~1 week by holding 3 catchers once they activate Buck, who keep in mind can also play some first base. They've got some options in this situation, though it probably does all come back to how often Cito's gonna play him. If he's not might as well ship him back to Vegas for the rest of the year.

I realize there are options but Cito doesn't strike me as a person who would give JPA playing time over Buck, 3 C's or not. Maybe your right and it ends up being a blessing.

The way I see it is, whats he going to get 6-7 games and then he's outta here? I just alway think DL callups aren't great for young players, and I think the consensus in MLB agrees because players like JPA are frequently bypassed for DL callups. Many times we've hoped for a kid only to see a vet or journeyman get the call instead.

icehawkmike
08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
He'll back when rosters expand 2 weeks after Buck comes back

fatkev78
08-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm glad JPA was called up, but I'm worried about Buck's Type B status.....he's barely clinging onto it as it is.

wamco
08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
You dont have to love every player on your team, but to say he used steroids is ridiculous. Especially when theres 0 evidence of that. The last 3 seasons he was injured u ****in ******. Even than in 08 he was on pace for 30hr and a .300 avg.

nstojic
08-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Arencibia, who joins the Jays today, has already been told he will return to Triple-A Las Vegas in two weeks, given that Buck’s thumb injury is expected to heal well before he is eligible to leave the 15-day disabled list. But expect Arencibia to return in September, after his minor-league season ends, then bid for regular duty next spring.

Anthopoulos made it clear on Thursday that Arenecibia “is certainly here to play for the two-week period.”

“He’ll get the majority of playing time, but again, with him being a young player, I don’t know that it will be exactly the equivalent of what John Buck enjoyed,” Anthopoulos said.

With Buck enjoying a career year, “this is certainly not the way we wanted it to happen,” the GM said of Arencibia’s promotion after Buck needed three stitches to repair a cut caused by a foul tip Wednesday.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/Blue+Jays+future+comes+into+focus/3364572/story.html

scotttube
08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Why do they feel the need to jerk around their prospects? Travis Snider not playing everyday at the beginning of the year and in the 9-hole when he did? Spending 2 extra weeks in AA? Now JP Arencibia not even playing as much as Buck did, probably not playing tonight? I'm sure he'll be in the 9-hole. Then in 2 weeks he's going to be sent down only to be called right back up again. In September he'll be riding the pine to John friggin Buck. Why couldn't they have just traded Buck and cleared the path for JPA? Now that you've called up JPA you keep him here and if that means trading Buck or trading or releasing Molina you do it.

nithanyo
08-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Why do they feel the need to jerk around their prospects? Travis Snider not playing everyday at the beginning of the year and in the 9-hole when he did? Spending 2 extra weeks in AA? Now JP Arencibia not even playing as much as Buck did, probably not playing tonight? I'm sure he'll be in the 9-hole. Then in 2 weeks he's going to be sent down only to be called right back up again. In September he'll be riding the pine to John friggin Buck. Why couldn't they have just traded Buck and cleared the path for JPA? Now that you've called up JPA you keep him here and if that means trading Buck or trading or releasing Molina you do it.

Whats wrong with Snider batting 9th?? Im sure he isnt complaining. Hes just glad he is not in Vegas. Im sure he will get moved up as he starts hitting better. Once he figures out how to hit a major league fastball i can see him batting near cleanup

These guys are young. We are not competing. Why throw them into the fire?? Ease them in. Avoid injury. When these guys get a taste of the Major league life they would only want it more and would not take it for granted

And you dont trade a player for the sake of it. If the jays get a return better than their pick they would have traded him by now. Im sure teams negotiating for Buck offered peanuts.

scotttube
08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
(1) Whats wrong with Snider batting 9th?? Im sure he isnt complaining. Hes just glad he is not in Vegas. Im sure he will get moved up as he starts hitting better. Once he figures out how to hit a major league fastball i can see him batting near cleanup

These guys are young. We are not competing. Why throw them into the fire?? Ease them in. (2) Avoid injury. When these guys get a taste of the Major league life they would only want it more and would not take it for granted

And you dont trade a player for the sake of it. If the jays get a return better (3) than their pick they would have traded him by now. Im sure teams negotiating for Buck offered peanuts.

1. Batting 9th is embarrassing, it is an insult especially for a 3/4 type power hitter.

2. Injuries happen in the minor leagues too.

3. There is no guarantee of a type B status. Buck is only clinging to it and with this injury he may fall out. There is a real possibility of losing him for nothing and keeping him is even worse for JPA's development.

MaHaRaJaH
08-06-2010, 12:28 PM

I love reading yourposts :)

statquo
08-06-2010, 07:07 PM
rotoworld

Manager Cito Gaston said that the recently recalled J.P. Arencibia "will probably do most of the catching," while he's with the club.

Arencibia was called up to take the spot of the injured John Buck. He is, however, not playing Friday, nor will he play Sunday. The reason for that is because Gaston wants Jose Molina to catch Brandon Morrow Sunday, and Saturday is a day game after a night game. Arencibia has had a monster year at Triple-A with 31 home runs and a .999 OPS. He's worth looking at in mixed leagues.

StayOnBoard
08-06-2010, 07:10 PM
He will probably play all next week - but I think its really sad he isn't playing this evening. He should be.

Sunday actually makes sense to me... at least he's playing tomorrow - ill update my fantasy league accordingly :)

treeleaf
08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
HR first AB JPA is the FUTURE OF THIS SQUAD

DiehardJaysFan
08-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Hey Twitchy, I was wondering why you are not so high on JPA? Just curious to hear some reasons...