PDA

View Full Version : Why do we not talk about Mitch Richmond?

magichatnumber9
08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I always hear everyone on here criticizing players for demanding trades and complaining to ownership via the media that they need help. Here's a guy that averaged 21pts a game, was the number 1, 2, and 3rd scoring option. He is one of the best shooting guards not named, Jordan, West, and Kobe. Is this lack of basketball knowledge, or is it because for one year he chased a ring with the Lakers? This guy was one of the good guys in the NBA and nobody cares. Oh yeah we was pretty freakin good. This guy had no help for most of his career.

DerekRE_3
08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I made a thread talking about just this months ago...didn't get much of a response:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492080

But I love Mitch, he was the consummate professional and a lot of people don't get how hard it can be to be the only guy on your team. They just automatically assume it means inflated stats for that player and they aren't as good as the stats say. Michael Jordan said the toughest matchup for him was Mitch Richmond. Reggie Miller also said that besides MJ, Mitch was the toughest player he matched up with.

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Cause he happen to play as the same time as this guy know Jordan and he stole all the thunder. But he had a ungodly stroke when he found it.

NY-SportsFan
08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Cause most people in the NBA forum are 14 years old and probably dont have a clue who he is.

I wouldnt put him up there with the 3 you mentioned, but he was no doubt a very good player.

BHF
08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Cause most people in the NBA forum are 14 years old and probably dont have a clue who he is.

I wouldnt put him up there with the 3 you mentioned, but he was no doubt a very good player.

this

hustleloyrspct
08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
only thing i remember about him was him being part of the chris webber trade

ntat
08-02-2010, 06:45 PM
i always talk about the rock. He's the Goat. \But seriously its a really simple answer. He played for Sac in one of their worst stretches, in a small market, in the same era as Jordan.

DerekRE_3
08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
only thing i remember about him was him being part of the chris webber trade

Here's a reminder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuXs8KMFJ58&feature=related

COBY KARL
08-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Why do we not talk about Slava "THE LEGEND" Medvedenko?

SNYmets86
08-02-2010, 06:57 PM
why dont we talk about him hmmm maybe cuz is 2010

Reversed86Curse
08-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I loved him as part of Run TMC, god I miss those days!

asandhu23
08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
because he is a B0$$

Hellcrooner
08-02-2010, 07:03 PM
he was a top 5 sg on his hay day, and saramento was fun to watch with him, spudd webb and sadly late Wayman Tisdale.

They had bad luck with RIcky Berry and then with Lionel SImmons never being healthy, they coul d have been dangerous in teh first 90s

magichatnumber9
08-02-2010, 07:27 PM
why dont we talk about him hmmm maybe cuz is 2010Those were some great years in the NBA. Your welcome for the history lesson. The whole thing is that he was one of the good guys in the league, that even gave Michael Jordan fits. another thing, he has the best shooting stroke I have ever seen. You young ballers want to know how to shoot the rock? watch his youtube mix

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 07:36 PM

Yea true it's 2010 so take wu-tang off your avatar that was 90's too.

Get Knowledge.

As do I. Basketball was amazing in the late 80's and 90's.

he was a top 5 sg on his hay day, and saramento was fun to watch with him, spudd webb and sadly late Wayman Tisdale.

They had bad luck with RIcky Berry and then with Lionel SImmons never being healthy, they coul d have been dangerous in teh first 90s

Lionel would have been a beast could he stay healthy.

NYKalltheway
08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
He was really great, but why would people talk about him now?

Let's also talk about Dominique Wilkins who was Michael Jordan's main competitor in the slam dunk contest!
Let's also talk about Clyde Drexler who was #2 in the early 90s behind Jordan.

As much as I would love to live those moments (and live some of them again), it's 2010 and it's Lebron & Kobe now, like it or not. (I'm on the 'not like' list, Knicks were great back then :D)

Hawkeye15
08-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I would guess the reason is that most of PSD is well under the age of 30

Hellcrooner
08-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I would guess the reason is that most of PSD is well under the age of 30

mre lke well under 18

Sixerlover
08-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I remember Mitch perfectly, and I don't ever bring him up in conversations, and neither does anyone else I talk about basketball with. Basically proves the theory correct that only bigtime winners get remembered. No one here brings up Karl Malone's name either and he's the 2nd highest scorer in the league history.

To be remembered by the die hard basketball fans, have a productive career. To be remembered by the fair weathers and the media, win rings.

D Roses Bulls
08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I always hear everyone on here criticizing players for demanding trades and complaining to ownership via the media that they need help. Here's a guy that averaged 21pts a game, was the number 1, 2, and 3rd scoring option. He is one of the best shooting guards not named, Jordan, West, and Kobe. Is this lack of basketball knowledge, or is it because for one year he chased a ring with the Lakers? This guy was one of the good guys in the NBA and nobody cares. Oh yeah we was pretty freakin good. This guy had no help for most of his career.

well again cause richmond was at the end of his career when he did and was not putting up the same numbers when he requested that trade. so that's why

Hawkeye15
08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I remember Mitch perfectly, and I don't ever bring him up in conversations, and neither does anyone else I talk about basketball with. Basically proves the theory correct that only bigtime winners get remembered. No one here brings up Karl Malone's name either and he's the 2nd highest scorer in the league history.

To be remembered by the die hard basketball fans, have a productive career. To be remembered by the fair weathers and the media, win rings.

very true. I loved his game. Great shooter, great competitor, KSU stud.
I have had like 5 jerseys in my life. Richmond's was one of them back in the day

Jahari Kavi
08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
mitch was a very good player (and a rocket killer), but there are a number of people I'd take over him at his position all time..........with that being said I always liked Mitch and his lights out shooting...except when it was against my rockets

sixer04fan
08-02-2010, 08:40 PM

yeah, because he retired... 10 years ago?

Vincent33
08-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Was this thread previously closed in 1998 and now just re-opened? He was one of the better shooters in the league for an extended period (92-98 or so) and Jordan had to use a lot of his energy defending him. HoF worthy? I don't know. If Mullins gets in then I'm definitely all for Mitch Richmond getting in for sure. I'm not saying that Mullins was a better player, but it seems he gets mentioned more as a possibility of getting in to the HoF than Richmond does.

Jaji
08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Because he only played in 23 playoff games.

PLAYERS FAN
08-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Mitch was my third favorite SG in the early 90s. I wonder why GS traded him from the TMC?

PHX2daDEATH
08-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Run TMC needed a big man to be great..it seems Tim and Chris had more success playing away from GS then Mitch did in Sacramento.. oh to the person who said WU-Tang was 90's..let me tell you..WU TANG IS FOREVER..

Aapox
08-02-2010, 11:48 PM

sig worthy

ntat
08-02-2010, 11:55 PM

U talk about AI ever?

ntat
08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Mitch was my third favorite SG in the early 90s. I wonder why GS traded him from the TMC?Golden state had a feeling. They saw some magic in the young and glorious Billy Owens...

Superboy21
08-03-2010, 12:07 AM
it's funny that this thread is up because literally yesterday i was talking to a couple of my buddies about which retro jersey i should get: mitch richmond or clyde the glide. what do you guys think?

Hellcrooner
08-03-2010, 12:45 AM
it's funny that this thread is up because literally yesterday i was talking to a couple of my buddies about which retro jersey i should get: mitch richmond or clyde the glide. what do you guys think?

Orlando Woolridge.

Lake_Show2416
08-03-2010, 12:49 AM
the same reason we dont talk about any other Warriors player cuz........

NOBODY CARES

(unless u come to the team with hype before u arrive aka Curry)

Shahrose
08-03-2010, 01:09 AM
wow this guy looks amazing
=/ sucks i never heard of him

Hellcrooner
08-03-2010, 01:15 AM
i think nba should find a channle somwhre to put 80s and 90s and even some 60s and 70s games 24 hours a day.

is a pity young people does not get to see play some real great players

BoltLakerPadre
08-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Cause he happen to play as the same time as this guy know Jordan and he stole all the thunder. But he had a ungodly stroke when he found it.

That, and he was less than a bit player when he finally got his ring with the Lakers. I think he played something like 5 minutes throughout the entire playoff run.

I think this is less than a matter of most people not having enough "NBA knowledge" to remember what he did, and more a matter of you reading an article that referenced Mitch recently, and deciding to post on it.

JasonJohnHorn
08-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I think it likely has something to do with the fact that outside of his season sitting at the end of the bench in LA, he never made a deep playoff run. He was a great shooter, a solid rebounder for his postition, solid play maker and a decent defender, and he would be a huge commodity in the league today if her were in his prime, but when he had talent around him, he never had a chance to build chemistry with them (Don Nelson traded Richmond, and all-star, for a first round draft pick essentially, and though I like Billy Owens, he was no Mitch Richmond) and the teams that got him after needed him to be the man and he just wasnt the type of player to build around, he was a piece you put around a franchise player. And being the corner stone of teams that fail to win 30 games and miss the playoffs, or being the leading scorer on a team that only got 19 wins doesnt impress people. Its why Lopez wasnt on the all-star team this year. His number were clearly better than Horford, but its about more than just numbers, it is about the level of play you contribute to a winning team. Richmond was unlucky to get moved and traded and go through a few different coaches, and by the time he had a chance to go after the gold, he was to old to really contribute, so the fact that he pulled an Adam Morrison and say on the bench while other players won him a title, it doesnt leave one with the impression that he was as great as his numbers might suggest. I think most people see him as a big fish in a small pond.

Look at it this way: Mitch Richmond played 23 playoff games in his entire career. In '09, Dwight Howard played that many playoff games in one year. I think his absence from the playoffs for the majority of his career is the main factor.

Carey
08-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Yea that was an exciting team, he was like a 6'4'' pf/guard on that team!

TheBlackHole
08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
J.R. Rider was the second best sg in the 90s

Sixerlover
08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
U talk about AI ever?

Not unless i'm talking about my Sixers. Do you?

Hellcrooner
08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
J.R. Rider was the second best sg in the 90s

:speechless: telll me your trying to fool the younger posters....

JonnyBrav000
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
i always talk about the rock. He's the Goat. \But seriously its a really simple answer. He played for Sac in one of their worst stretches, in a small market, in the same era as Jordan.

Agreed, impossible to really think about this guy when you don't win in a small market. Great offensive player, but bad team around him, he should have asked for a trade (not to the Bullets, Mitch would have been better as a number 2 option), Garnett did it, and no one is mad at him because he was loyal, so his team was loyal enough to let him loose when the club looked like it was going nowhere.

By the way Mitch Richmond was a top 5 Sg in the early to mid 90's, but after 1996 when that monstrous draft class came in, guys like Allen Iverson, Jerry Stackhouse, Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant were the premiere Sg's of the league, Mitch was still good, but no one was talking about him at all at this point.

S-Dot
08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Great player during his days in the 90s, especially in Golden State and Sacramento, but I believe JordansBulls had a thread about stars who will be forgotten 15 years from now. He would have fell in that category 15 years ago. Great player though.

miller74
08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
He was great comparible to Glenn Rice if i can rememeber correclty. Even better though they dont put guys on the cover of NBA 1996 for no reason like Mitch

S-Dot
08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
He was great comparible to Glenn Rice if i can rememeber correclty. Even better though they dont put guys on the cover of NBA 1996 for no reason like Mitch

Yeah isn't that when the Kings had the half black/half purple uniforms?

And they've had Steve Francis and Antoine Walker on covers:facepalm:...a little bit of the Madden curse rubbed off on them too unfortunately.

minervamob
08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
For a couple years there he was the #2 sg in the league behind Mike.

xbrackattackx
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
:speechless: telll me your trying to fool the younger posters....

x 2 I remember when I was a kid I collected Basketball Cards.

I would get like 7 of his cards a pack. They made cool noises on my Bike wheels though.

CityofTreez
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I loved Mitch!

He had one of the best strokes in NBA history and that All-Star game performance was legendary. pretty sure he got an All-Star Game MVP back then, pretty impressive considering he played against icons during his career.

OP all dey!