PDA

View Full Version : Why weren't the 05-08 Washington Wizards better?

Boston Faithful
08-02-2010, 04:56 PM
They had really high scoring (healthy) trios in Arenas, Jamison and Butler, almost amounting to 70 points per game. It's kind of shocking they never won more than 45 games. And Arenas at that time was one of the top 10 players in the league and Butler and Jamison were both in the top 25. Butler would give you 20 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists while Jamison would give you 20 and 8-9.

If they built around those three with the proper pieces around them, I think they could have contended.

Oakley's Fist
08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
No, they couldnt play defense and their inside game wasnt up to snuff.

DerekRE_3
08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Defense.

Wade>You
08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Simply no defense. I'd also say their leader wasn't the best leader out there.

TheTakeOver24
08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Defense.

this^

bal_ravens
08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Defense hurt them a lot, as did the lack of an inside game from Haywood. The thing that hurt the most was the injuries though. There was a time when the Wizards were the #1 ranked team in the east, and then Caron Butler breaks his wrist.

Oakley's Fist
08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
I will say in my 27 years as a Bullets fan this was probably the most fun team to watch.

MacFitz92
08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Strong core, weak role players.

S-Dot
08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Strong core, weak role players.

This along with Defense. Also, Gilbert Arenas faced huge injuries throughout those seasons. Caron faced some injuries as well. Their coaching wasn't the best. Gilbert's injuries were most important though.

j-bay
08-04-2010, 11:22 AM
they did have some strong future guys like roger mason

BrotherRedz
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Arenas man, could've been something special

Reyes6
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Team Chemistry was also awful. On paper they were a top 5 NBA team, but then again so were the Knicks.

Raoul Duke
08-04-2010, 11:32 AM
They were never very good to begin with. Washington's FO kept that group together for three years too long based on a two week stretch in the middle of the season when they had the best record in the east. It was a farce.

Arenas had the chance to be something really special, but he was too immature to handle it.

S-Dot
08-04-2010, 11:32 AM
they did have some strong future guys like roger mason

Roger Mason was a future role player at best.

Actually, losing Larry Hughes hurt them too. He was the perfect shooting guard for that team in 2005. If they could have signed him back along with doing the Kwame Brown/Caron Butler swap again,that would have been nice.

Hellcrooner
08-04-2010, 11:46 AM
because arenas is a third option AT BEST in a serious title contender?

twoearl
08-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Lots of reasons...

No defense
No leaders
No True point guard
didn't share the ball enough
shaky outisde shooting
no good big men
etc.

S-Dot
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM

In his prime a third option? As much as he demands the ball on offense and his ability to score in bunches, he shouldn't be a third option. The game winners he had, dropping 60 points on the Lakers, and 54 on the Suns during these years. He was one of the best scoring guards in the league during the 05-08 years. If he was healthy, he would still be one of the top scoring guards. He was actually doing pretty well this season before the suspension.

isuk
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
They had no chemistry

Hellcrooner
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
In his prime a third option? As much as he demands the ball on offense and his ability to score in bunches, he shouldn't be a third option. The game winners he had, dropping 60 points on the Lakers, and 54 on the Suns during these years. He was one of the best scoring guards in the league during the 05-08 years. If he was healthy, he would still be one of the top scoring guards. He was actually doing pretty well this season before the suspension.

its the typucal player that looks good on bad team taking a TOn of shots not caring bout the efficiency of waht he does.

You cant have such a thing as franchise player if you want to go far.

j-bay
08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
they didn't have john wall

Bryrob58
08-04-2010, 12:04 PM
its the typucal player that looks good on bad team taking a TOn of shots not caring bout the efficiency of waht he does.

If you honestly think that Arenas in his prime was a third option at best you deserve a facepalm. But I won't because I'm nice.

DCsports
08-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Injuries

conway429
08-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Not at all... the Wizards were above .500 every year and Gilbert was having huge games and hitting clutch shots and game winners regularly.
Arenas was the man a few years ago, people shouldn't forget that just because he's a jackas5.

Hellcrooner
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Not at all... the Wizards were above .500 every year and Gilbert was having huge games and hitting clutch shots and game winners regularly.
Arenas was the man a few years ago, people shouldn't forget that just because he's a jackas5.

yes , if any playe rin the league gets the last shot regulary will make some cluth shots, and if any player gets 20 touchs a game will make good stats.

he is a mArbury or a Francis , no thing nmore than that.

conway429
08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
yes , if any playe rin the league gets the last shot regulary will make some cluth shots, and if any player gets 20 touchs a game will make good stats.

Marbury and Francis never put up 30 points a game. Francis never shot a decent FG%. Marbury didn't spend much time on teams that won games.
The Wizards were a decent team.
And you're argument applies to any player in the league, so I guess we shouldn't respect any players who hit game winning shots?
Maybe you didn't get the highlights over in Spain, but you're crazy if you don't think Arenas was something special back then.

kozelkid
08-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Except in his prime he was MUCH more efficient than either.
There's nothing wrong with being a score first pg if you do it efficiently. Arenas was VERY efficient at his prime.

GMEN4EVER
08-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Injuries at the worst time. Sub par defense. Didn't have great team chemistry either. Marginal role players too. Those would be the 4 things that pop up in my mind as to why they failed.

S-Dot
08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
They also faced a Cleveland team in the playoffs three years in a row that had a big advantage over them.

jackdawson
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Defense.

jackdawson
08-04-2010, 02:33 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:

Talk about ignorance :facepalm: did you really watch him play from 2004-2007? The dude almost averaged 28ppg, 6 apg, 4 rpg, 2 spg. Now you think these are productions from a 3rd best player on a contending team?

DreStylez
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Defense and not much of a supporting cast I'm assuming

netsgiantsyanks
08-04-2010, 02:59 PM
defense and eddie jordan

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-04-2010, 03:06 PM

are you serious? he lead his team to 50 wins.... maybe a 2nd... but a third @ best? ur crazy.

jackdawson
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
are you serious? he lead his team to 50 wins.... maybe a 2nd... but a third @ best? ur crazy.

Exactly. It's insane how two bad years (he didn't even play last 2 years) can make some people forget some amazing years. Arenas was probably a top 5 player at one point of his career.

Rego247
08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
oddly they have a good core, wall, mcgee, josh howard, foye, al thorthon, arenas, o i forgot to mention the triple double chaser andre blatche.

S-Dot
08-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Exactly. It's insane how two bad years (he didn't even play last 2 years) can make some people forget some amazing years. Arenas was probably a top 5 player at one point of his career.

From 2006 to 2007 before the injury he surely was. Wizards got John Wall and people forget. He was playing well before the suspension.

jackdawson
08-04-2010, 03:20 PM
From 2006 to 2007 before the injury he surely was. Wizards got John Wall and people forget. He was playing well before the suspension.

I doubt it works but would love to see a Wall-Arenas backcourt. It would be sick if it worked.

avrpatsfan
08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
No defense like the Suns.

S-Dot
08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I doubt it works but would love to see a Wall-Arenas backcourt. It would be sick if it worked.

I honestly think it can work. Wall is not a shoot first point guard. Gilbert is not a pure point guard. It's in Flip Saunders' hands. He's getting paid to make things like this work.

thekmp211
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM

agreed. he can still be very good, not good enough to live up that contract but very good.

to answer the question, it's because jamison and butler are overrated contributors. like them both, but as ive said here before many times butler likes to chuck and jamison is a poorer zach randolph without the attitude. they put up numbers but when they only have to play good teams the wheels fall off.

Hellcrooner
08-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Talk about ignorance :facepalm: did you really watch him play from 2004-2007? The dude almost averaged 28ppg, 6 apg, 4 rpg, 2 spg. Now you think these are productions from a 3rd best player on a contending team?

there you go.

b.S assists for a pg.

The Miami Cheat
08-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Defense.

^^^ thats the main reason rite there

Tony_Starks
08-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I think the main thing was their core 3 guys could never all stay healthy for a substantial amount of time. Seems like during the season they took turns sitting out, they'd usually be back in time for playoffs but by then the damage had been done record wise.

I really like that squad they had though, when they were on their game it was a sight to behold! They gave Cleveland all they could handle for a couple of seasons!

jackdawson
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
there you go.

b.S assists for a pg.

Derek Fisher averages more assists, right? Good basketball knowledge I guess :rolleyes:
Did you miss 29 ppg, 4rpg, and 2 spg? Please explain how is that the production of a 3rd best option AT BEST like you said. Otherwise, enjoy the upcoming La-liga. More of your field.

Hellcrooner
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Derek Fisher averages more assists, right? Good basketball knowledge I guess :rolleyes:
Did you miss 29 ppg, 4rpg, and 2 spg? Please explain how is that the production of a 3rd best option AT BEST like you said. Otherwise, enjoy the upcoming La-liga. More of your field.

Derech fisher is not a top 3 options on the lakers.

Sorry but a top dog Franchise player pg needs to have at LEAST 9 apg.

That stats only prove that he is a ballhog like i said similar to francis or marbiury.

O fyou want to be a star you need to bring MUCH more to the team, KOe, Lebron, Durant, Roy, whoever they bring poins, assist,s rebound, efense LEADERSHIP, and intangibles.
Arenas just brings up Points.

Ray Allen is MUCH better than him , and see, how funny he INdedd IS a third option on a championship team.

fadedmario
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Because of the Cavs