PDA

View Full Version : Why/why not shaq to celtics will/wont work

Kingdre619
08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
as many of you may know, shaq wants to be a celtic. shaq also wants a very large salary, a salary that is more than the MLE.

Lets get some facts out of the way:

-Shaq is 38

-he averaged 12, 1.2 blks nd 6 in 23 minutes in 53games last year for the cavs

-he probably wants to start

lets say somehow the celtics either A. acquire shaq in a trade with the cavs involving rasheed wallace's expiring contract. or B. convince the big leprechaun to sign for the 1.3 vet minimum

then the celtics would have:

C:Perkins, S O'neal
PF:Garnett, J o'neal, davis
SF:Pierce, daniels
SG:allen, wafer
PG:rondo, robinson

it looks nice on paper, but i dont think it will work, reason being:

C:SO'neal, JO'neal
PF:Garnett, davis

lineup would do great, win alot of games, but later in the season when perkins comes back, how many minutes does shaq get?

they have big baby, and j o'neal, and perkins will start. shaq will be the odd man out, and he like coming off the bench, no way, his ego would probably become an issue.

shaq to boston looks good on paper, would translate great to the court, but the log jam at center and pf will prove too much, and i dont believe the celtics are willing to let shaq ruin their chemistry

h2r09
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
why not shaq to celtics wont work?

Chronz
08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
I wouldnt mind having a platoon of Oneals in case one of them gets hurt.

Kingdre619
08-02-2010, 03:57 PM
why not shaq to celtics wont work?

wat the jamrock?

why/why not shaq to the celtics will/wont work

Kingdre619
08-02-2010, 03:57 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing it, rondo passing to shaq

shaq and kg, nice combo. i want it to happen, but i dont see it working

mikealike305
08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
no. they need a healthy C, perkins alrealy has knee problem, so does j o'neal

IndyRealist
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Shaq can't play D. He's not mobile, he can't jump. All he can do is clog the lane and hope for the best.

Even if Shaq gives them 14/7 it's not really what they need. They need Perkins.

Kingdre619
08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Shaq can't play D. He's not mobile, he can't jump. All he can do is clog the lane and hope for the best.

Even if Shaq gives them 14/7 it's not really what they need. They need Perkins.

and im guessing perkins can do all this

hm.

so according to you:

-perkins can jump

- and he is mobile

Jack Daniels
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
It won't work because the big Diesel still feels he deserves the big pay check and i just don't see Boston management folding to his demand and working out a sign and trade to provide that bigger pay day.

Kingdre619
08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
It won't work because the big Diesel still feels he deserves the big pay check and i just don't see Boston management folding to his demand and working out a sign and trade to provide that bigger pay day.

technically, they do have the piece to do it, rasheed wallace contract, remember, rasheed didnt retire yet, and he has a 1 year deal, package that with a 2nd round pick to the cavs for shaq, and shaq gets his MLE. but anything higher than the MLE and the deal wont work, caus rasheed's contract was an mle one

ILLN355
08-02-2010, 05:14 PM
as many of you may know, shaq wants to be a celtic. shaq also wants a very large salary, a salary that is more than the MLE.

-Shaq is 38

lets say somehow the celtics either A. acquire shaq in a trade with the cavs involving rasheed wallace's expiring contract. or B. convince the big leprechaun to sign for the 1.3 vet minimum

lineup would do great, win alot of games, but later in the season when perkins comes back, how many minutes does shaq get?

they have big baby, and j o'neal, and perkins will start. shaq will be the odd man out, and he like coming off the bench, no way, his ego would probably become an issue.

shaq to boston looks good on paper, would translate great to the court, but the log jam at center and pf will prove too much, and i dont believe the celtics are willing to let shaq ruin their chemistry

that title belongs to scalabrine

Kingdre619
08-02-2010, 05:16 PM
that title belongs to scalabrine

insightful post

Oakley's Fist
08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Shaq still wants to get payed. With his wife basically being a financial black hole dude still needs to get a decent contract.

Kingdre619
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
the guy has enough money even with the divorce, i mean this guy does so many advertisements, movies, he has his own brand of sneakers, he has plenty of stuff

trust me, he has enough to live on

MacFitz92
08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Boston has enough bigs.

Tony_Starks
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
It would work for one reason alone: Doc Rivers. Doc is one of the few coaches that can demand and get Shaqs respect right from the jump. Doc is the kind of coach that can look Shaq in the eye and say: "look big fella this is what we need from you. We don't need you to be the main focus, we don't need you to rock the boat, we just need you to be another piece to the puzzle. If you're comfortable with that, lets do it."

BkOriginalOne
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Reasons why it could work:
1. Doc Rivers is a great coach
2. Rondo is a great PG
3. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Shaq are all season vets who just want another ring.
4. Big baby Davis and Shaq!!!! That's Marquee! To watch both these former LSU Tigers crash boards would be like the all the best parts of WWE tag team matches, but better uniforms.
5. Shaq could only play home games. This worked with the Lakers and the Heat. Also, Shaq is always reliable in the post season. To win it all, Shaq would have to go through, Lebron, Wade, Howard and Kobe. All either, former Teammates or rivals. This is just fun to watch.

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm for it.

Wade>You
08-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Only if shaq's ego isnt an issue

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I would like to see Shaq and Bynum fight it out in the finals.

Sadds The Gr8
08-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I think it'd be a decent pickup for them but they already have JO so I think it's pointless.

Sadds The Gr8
08-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I would like to see Shaq and Bynum fight it out in the finals.

Shaq would slap the sh** outta Bynum in a fight

omdigga
08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
it would work.. boston needs another green monster..

97NYer
08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I think a much better fit would be the Hawks.

KDM1986
08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Dont see why it couldnt work. Their are enough vets on the celtics to keep egos in check and the prospects of winning another title should be enough motivation for both the Celtics and Shaq. Oldest team in the league and still one of the best. Damn luck of the Irish.

Khalifa21
08-02-2010, 06:54 PM
8 years ago a KG/Shaq frontcourt would've been the best frontcourt in NBA history... Now, not so much.

Jack Daniels
08-02-2010, 07:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKqTBKXJQkY

I think Shaq wanted to slap him in the clip above cuz the young buck got a bit to amped up. :)

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 07:49 PM

I meant like when Shaq was on the Heat and him and Bynum took turns dunking on each other. Not real fight. Sorry I should have been clear.

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKqTBKXJQkY

I think Shaq wanted to slap him in the clip above cuz the young buck got a bit to amped up. :)

This is what I was talking about BTW

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
If shaq came to the celtics, I guarantee that Wallace would come back.

Rondo/Robinson/Brady
Allen/Daniels/Gaffney
Paul Pierce/Layfette
Garnett/Wallace/Big Baby
Oneal/Oneal/Perkins/Erden

Jack Daniels
08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
This is what I was talking about BTW

I had you covered...

xbrackattackx
08-02-2010, 08:49 PM
i had you covered...

thanks bro

Sadds The Gr8
08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I meant like when Shaq was on the Heat and him and Bynum took turns dunking on each other. Not real fight. Sorry I should have been clear.

haha oh

BeantownBill
08-03-2010, 11:14 AM

-Shaq is 38

All of this is based on the assumption that the 3 players mentioned as playing C both A. get healthy and B. stay healthy. That alone is a huge assumption. I just don't see this team staying fully healthy throughout the season. Shaq would get his minutes and provide depth.

xbrackattackx
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
:facepalm:

im very suprised you would type something so stupid man, i thought better of you, maybe u made i mistake so ill give you the benefit of the doubt

NOBODY WOULD GET ANY GOOD MINUTES WHICH WOULD CAUSE LOCKER ROOM PROBLEMS

No, I'm very surprised at you. Wallace,Shaq,Garnett and Allen are aging stars. They will wanna use them all in smaller minutes so the team won't be worn out. Until the playoffs you dont wanna risk injuries to your older stars.

I figure regular season mins would be allocated like this

O'neal 15-20 mins
J-O'neal 15 20 mins
Wallace 12-16
Big Baby- 6-8
Pierce-30-35 mins
Daniels-8-10 mins
Perkins-Injured
Garnett-25-30 mins
Allen-25-30
Rondo 30-32 mins
Nate Rob-10-15 mins
Bradley4-8 mins

Erden,Layfette and Gaffney would see very limited roles.

So that way they are deep and have a great rotation.

Being deep is never a bad thing in the playoffs.