PDA

View Full Version : Bosh Answers Back but doesn't talk about having medical clearance to play

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2010, 04:52 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-raptors-bosh

TORONTO (AP)—After being called out as a quitter by his former general manager, Chris Bosh(notes) says he “put his heart and soul” into the Toronto Raptors organization and never gave up on his team.

In an interview on Rogers Sportsnet on Thursday night, Bosh responded to allegations made by Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo on Toronto radio station FAN 590 that claimed the All-Star was “checked out” late last season and chose not to play some of the Raptors’ final games.

“I play this game as hard as I can every time I step on the court,” Bosh said. “On the back of my jersey it says ‘Bosh’ … The Boshes are hard workers. We have a lot of pride in what we do, in our jobs and in life.”

The Raptors fell from a playoff position at the All-Star break into ninth place in the Eastern Conference at the end of the season. Bosh and former Cleveland star LeBron James(notes) then joined Dwyane Wade(notes) in Miami as free agents this summer.

That ruffled feathers in Toronto and Cleveland, with Colangelo suggesting that the decision for the three stars to play together had been “brewing for a while.” He suggested the threesome started firming up their plans while representing the East at the NBA All-Star game.

Bosh claims he was still intent on getting the Raptors into the postseason.

“What’s so significant about the All-Star break? We were in the playoffs. And I wanted to play in the playoffs,” he said. “That’s all I thought about every summer.”

Bosh also clarified comments he made recently in the Miami Herald in which he called Toronto “different.” He said he didn’t mean that as an insult to the city.

“Toronto is different,” he said. “For one, it’s a different country. If you don’t know you’re in a different country when you land then something is wrong with your senses. That’s not to say that Toronto is not a great metropolitan city. It is a fantastic city.

“Different is not bad. I’m different. That doesn’t make me bad.”

Bosh also claimed his decision to leave Toronto was at the end of a long process and not something he had committed to before the offseason.

“Everybody thinks, ‘Oh, he was gone as soon as the season was over.’ It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. As different as another country is, it was still home for me. I had been there for seven years.”

I'm glad to see Bosh fire back about these comments. I'm a Raptors fan and obviously not happy that he left, but he was a hard worker and I dont blame him for leaving since the Raptors mangement has failed to build around him, passing up on players like Granger and Biedrins among others who they could have put around him, and have botched trades like TJ Ford/O'Neal/Marion and fired the only good coaching staff that's been in TO since Lenny Wilkens.

I wish him the best of luck in the future and hope he does well, though I am still doubtful the "Big Three" will mesh as well as Boston's, but Bosh will be a work horse on the boards and wont be too demanding of the ball with Wade and LBJ on the wing.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Um that's a lie, he checked out. If I was a raptors fan I'd be pissed they didn't trade him earlier. All signs pointed to him leaving. It's insulting that he's saying that his decision came late. He was a jerk the whole free agency process with all the attention he was tryin to drum up.. Bosh years 1 - 6 1/2 gave u hard work.

SupeUnagi
07-31-2010, 05:13 PM
it really would make no sense to say a player quit on your team in or near the playoffs
even if they were set on leaving, they give you 6 months of hard work and sweat year in and year out.
i dont know anyone that would put so much hard work into something just to stop at the very end of it.

its an insult to say that theyd quit right then.

Sly Guy
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
I'll still take bosh's 6.5 years of hard work and call it 7, instead of someone like vince openly saying he gave up on his team after season 4-5, demanding trades, demanding parking spots etc etc....

nanablvd
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
i would never question Bosh's committment and hard-working maneuver whenever he steps on the court. The issue that is obvious about him is about the last 6 games of the season, when he chose security of his lucrative contract, which would be based on his health over the summer, over the record of his team which was in head-to-head fight against the Bulls for the last playoff spot. Regardless of whether or not he had made up his mind to leave the Raptors by then, this was apparently a business decision by Bosh to not take the risk of furthering his injury and secure his contract at the expense of his team. However, he should NOT be blamed for making a business decision, and he should NOT blame others for blaming him for what he did either. We are all pretty sure, that if he'll face similar situation with the Heat this year and he's medically cleared, he will definitely play out the rest of the games, 100% healthy or not.

SA5195
07-31-2010, 05:16 PM
We know he never gave up ON the court.

But he never answered the fact that he was cleared to play, but he didn't.

Tmath
07-31-2010, 05:24 PM
He didn't address any of the statements that Colangelo made like taking 6 games off even when the doctors cleared him to play. The guy didn't even come and support the team down the stretch when we were trying to make the playoffs. If he really wanted to make the playoffs like he said he wanted to he would of wore a protective mask like everyone else does when they get there face injuired. All he said is that he worked hard on the court and lied by saying he didn't make his decision till the last minute.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-31-2010, 05:28 PM
If he was playin with bron and wade in a contract year while being cleared to play he would def play.he didn't do toronto dirty like Vince but he left y'all hanging.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
He didn't address any of the statements that Colangelo made like taking 6 games off even when the doctors cleared him to play. The guy didn't even come and support the team down the stretch when we were trying to make the playoffs. If he really wanted to make the playoffs like he said he wanted to he would of wore a protective mask like everyone else does when they get there face injuired. All he said is that he worked hard on the court and lied by saying he didn't make his decision till the last minute.

This

SA5195
07-31-2010, 05:31 PM
If he was playin with bron and wade in a contract year while being cleared to play he would def play.he didn't do toronto dirty like Vince but he left y'all hanging.

Not really. Even if he stayed, we probably would've sucked. In his 7 years, we only made the playoffs twice.

Not saying he's a bad player or anything though.

biglord
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
he quit, he could of played and didnt that was wrong what he did to the raptors plan and simple he should be a man and admit it there's nothing anybody can do now.

kidfury
07-31-2010, 05:49 PM

:nod::nod::nod:

Bosh is not a leader or a max contract guy like he believes. He's a follower and NO 3rd option on a team is a max contract guy.

Sadds The Gr8
07-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Um that's a lie, he checked out.
I agree. He was cleared to play those games where he was injured and b*tched out instead. A TRUE franchise player would've put on a face mask and gone out and at least tried or convinced the management that he could play in the final 6 games or at least came and supported the team on the bench. ESPECIALLY seeing as we were 8th at the time...and could've made the playoffs. I think he just figured the Raps would get swept in the 1st round by Cleveland and was just like "**** it...no need for me to push thru with this injury and just end up getting swept by Cleveland if we make the playoffs."

If I was a raptors fan I'd be pissed they didn't trade him earlier. All signs pointed to him leaving.
I disagree with this part. I mentioned this in the Raps forum too...at the time of the all-star break we were the hottest team in the league and were scaling up the East standings. We were 5th at the time and figured we'd have a chance to even get to 4th, or at least end up 4th or 5th with the possibility of facing Atlanta (a regular season team that doesnt perform in the playoffs), or Boston (a team that many fans thought were done and too old to make a deep run). I'm sure many Raps fans would've preferred to keep Bosh and make a run for a decent playoff series for a chance to face 2 teams that looked beatible, rather than trade Bosh and bailout on the season.

It's insulting that he's saying that his decision came late. He was a jerk the whole free agency process with all the attention he was tryin to drum up.. Bosh years 1 - 6 1/2 gave u hard work.

I agree with this part. Bosh acted like such a dick with the twitter stuff and "should I stay or should I go?" crap. In the end it was just all a sham because he knew where he was going all along and had known since the all-star break. He must think we're stupid.

John Walls Era
07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
He didn't lie, but he also didn't address BC's comments directly.

ramz.n
07-31-2010, 06:08 PM
hes a tool ..he carefully chose his words..."he played hard when he was on the floor"..but when he wasn't due to his " injury".. he can't be blamed. :rolleyes:

rainbowcow1
07-31-2010, 06:18 PM
hes a liar!

HoopsDrive
07-31-2010, 07:02 PM

Proof?

And our team was going nowhere that season even if we'd made the playoffs, no biggie.

B2theRY
07-31-2010, 07:42 PM
i stand by the fact that I believe Colangelo wanted to trade Bosh but MLSE turned him down because they were in a "playoff" hunt.

and MLSE is all about making money more than anything else.
i mean they own the leafs and no one seems to care that they suck as long as they bring in money.

Cano24
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Bosh is a *****....he may have taken a lot of shots but playing hard consists of playing Defense and Bosh looked like he was allergic to ball handlers, staying as far away from them as he could

Geargo Wallace
07-31-2010, 09:08 PM
I hate that ****. If you love the game you will play when you're healthy. No matter what the team's situation. I had to sit for 3 games before and I hated it. Win or lose.

cutiepie80
07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Bosh is probably not only the ugliest NBA player, but ugliest dude ever. he looks like an old dinosaur.

Rego247
07-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Bosh is probably not only the ugliest NBA player, but ugliest dude ever. he looks like an old dinosaur.

some ppl say little foot from land before time. lol

cutiepie80
07-31-2010, 09:23 PM
some ppl say little foot from land before time. lol

I really don't care for the guy but in looks, he is a dinosaur. :)

cheetos185
07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
I really don't care for the guy but in looks, he is a dinosaur. :)

actually he looks like a ugly woman

Jaji
08-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Man this is getting old. The same guys owners were once offering a hundred mil are soft and quitters, etc. now that they've switched teams. Why the heck did you just offer him a hundred million dollars then?

RulerSlick
08-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Man this is getting old. The same guys owners were once offering a hundred mil are soft and quitters, etc. now that they've switched teams. Why the heck did you just offer him a hundred million dollars then?

:clap:

ink
08-01-2010, 01:04 AM

We could probably make a pretty long list of players who were given contracts they didn't deserve. Does a bad contract validate a player? The logic doesn't work.

SouthSideRookie
08-01-2010, 01:08 AM
:clap:

Everyone would of critized Toronto same way if they would of given him a max deal, he's so overrated and i think he's about to really get exposed now. Miami will end up regereting Boshs max eventually.

gbrl
08-01-2010, 01:22 AM
^ hes more worth it than jj or gay i also prefer him over amare

JasonJohnHorn
08-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I have to say, as a Raptors fan, I still have respect for Bosh and I am more frustrated with out management team than I am with him or any of the players.

Since we got Bosh the front office has made many mistakes. In terms of trades they botched things up with charlie V/TJ Ford/J O'Neal and Shawn Marion. None of those trades helped the team get better, and in one of them we gave up a talented defender (Moon) that we had picked up undrafted.

In the draft wasted one pick on Araujo and could have added somebody like Biedrins, Al Jefferson or Josh Smith. Then we pick Chalrie V. over Danny Granger. and David Lee. So by his third season we could have had a fron court that had Granger and Bosh at SF and PF and Al Jefferson or Biedrins at center. THEN we get the first over-all pick, which we should have traded down because there was no clear number one pick, and end up passing on Brandon Roy. So had the Raptors played their cards right they could have had Bosh, Granger and Roy along with Jefferson or biedrins. And when we do make a decent pick by grabbing Roy Hibbert, we send away in a package deal that brings in J. O'Neal? Then trade J. O'Neal (along with our best wing defender: Jamario Moon) for an expiring contract and use that cap space to sign Turkaglu? And DeRozen is a decent player, and there werent many guys better than him after 9th (I dont think Jennings would have been a good pick for TO), but we did pass up on DuJuan Blair, the best rebounder in the draft and Tyler Hansborough, who is a solid player. And ontop of all that they fire the Coach of the Year as soon as Coangelo comes in? And replace him with what? *shakes head*

I am upset as a Raptors fan, but I'm upset with the fact that our management team is so incapable of building a contender. I know when it comes to the draft, hindsight is 20/20, but everybdoy shook their heads when they saw TO pick Arauja, and everybody was like "Charlie V", that early? And everybody knew that the year we had the number one pick that we should have traded it for a vet or traded down because there was no clear cut first selection.

When Carter left, I was upset because of his performance on the court and because our management team had actually done a decent job of building around him (Davis, Hakeem, Oakley, Clark in the front court was great to watch) and they had a decent point guard and Mo Pete working the wing with Carter, plus we had one of the greatest coaches of all time.

But Bosh leaving, I dont blame him. He seems like a sincere guy and I think that though LBJ and Wade may have talked about playing together at the Olympics or the All-Star game, I honestly believe that leaving Toronto was a hard choice for Bosh, just as I'm sure leaving Cleveland was a hard choice for LBJ. Maybe I'm naive, but I can clearly see that Toronto's front office has made numerous bad choices via trades, signings and draft picks. I cant blame a guy for wanting to get away from that.

Raph12
08-01-2010, 10:00 AM
He's just bullshitting because he doesn't want the criticism, I'd be pissed at Colangelo for letting him walk seeing his demeanor and body language down the stretch in the season. I called Bosh to Miami as soon as Miami made room for 2 max guys, it was a done deal from time, I just didn't know Lebron would be joining them.

ink
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I have to say, as a Raptors fan, I still have respect for Bosh and I am more frustrated with out management team than I am with him or any of the players.

But Bosh leaving, I dont blame him. He seems like a sincere guy and I think that though LBJ and Wade may have talked about playing together at the Olympics or the All-Star game, I honestly believe that leaving Toronto was a hard choice for Bosh, just as I'm sure leaving Cleveland was a hard choice for LBJ. Maybe I'm naive, but I can clearly see that Toronto's front office has made numerous bad choices via trades, signings and draft picks. I cant blame a guy for wanting to get away from that.

As a Raptors fan I don't agree. Management is between a rock and a hard place trying to build a team with veteran talent in Toronto. Since they wanted to build fast around Bosh they tried to go the veteran route and the only players that wanted to come to Toronto were the risky ones. Couple that with the problem of trying to build around "the ball stops here (permanently)" Bosh and you have a no win situation. I don't have a lot of respect for the teenage girl excitement Bosh shows about being around "famous people" like DWade and Lebron. To me that just shows the immense gulf between these players.

Back to the topic, Bosh's answers back have been treated skeptically by a lot of fans who watched every game AND ESPECIALLY WATCHED THE GAMES WHERE HE DECIDED NOT TO PLAY DESPITE MEDICAL CLEARANCE. That is the point.

But here are two more articles that express the same doubt about Bosh's dubious Sportsnet interview:

Well, I'm sorry Chris. I'm sorry that you played the way you did last season, in two different ways.

First, I'm sorry that, by your standards, you took February and March off (to hear Colangelo tell it, Bosh took his time recovering from an ankle injury that only necessitated a few days off). In October and November you averaged over 25 points and 12 rebounds a game. In December you shot 55 percent as the Raptors went away from you offensively for long stretches (still averaging nearly 22 a game). In January you were back up to nearly 25 and 12 a game. And over 29 points and 11 rebounds a contest in February.

And because of those brilliant first few months, I'm sorry that this is what we're talking about as July turns into August. Because your reaction to the minor injury and your work in March tainted what was an all-NBA run for the first 53 games of the season.

And when you act the way you've acted? Soliciting free-agent suggestions over Twitter on April 30 even though you're still technically a member of the Toronto Raptors until July 1? Following Dwyane Wade around North America like a tagalong little brother? The Hamptons nonsense? The All-Star admission? Just being in the same picture as LeBron James, who has become public enemy No. 1?

It allows for those with long memories and nothing to do on a Tuesday night in March to recall what went down. That's what you're left with, Chris. And you're best served not protesting too much. Better to let this slip away.

Kind of like you did with the Raptors' season.

Yahoo - Ball Don't Lie (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Chris-Bosh-says-he-went-hard-We-saw-something-e;_ylt=Ar0wg7RbIla03Ad5ZosNGay8vLYF?urn=nba-259330)

You'll forgive Toronto Raptor fans for rolling their eyes after reading Chris Bosh's latest comments.

Bosh tried to clarify a few things in an interview with ESPN: he denied GM Bryan Colangelo's claim he went Vince Carter on the Raptors and quit; he also denied accusations he was always going to leave as a free agent; and, most importantly, he swears nothing was meant by calling Toronto 'different'.

The power forward told ESPN he, like Toronto, was 'different'. How could that be bad, right?

Raptor-nation will agree Bosh is 'different'. The tune he's now singing is indeed 'different' than the mood and attitude he projected in late June and early July.

A month ago, Bosh like a kid on Christmas Eve - couldn't wait for free agency. He had no reservations, concerns, or second thoughts about ditching Toronto to join free agent buddies LeBron James and Dwyane Wade in a big American market.

For instance, his constant tweets, documentary film making aspirations, and regular television appearances with Wade and then James rubbed salt in a stinging wound for Raptor fans.

Only after his signing, only after the smoke had cleared and the backlash had begun, did Bosh reach out to the city that embraced him for seven years.

The most disappointing part is that Bosh was supposed to be 'different'. He was supposed to be 'different' than superstars Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, and Damon Stoudamire, who crapped on Toronto when leaving.

In the end, Bosh wasn't different'. Sure, his words were 'different' than the tone VC, T-Mac, and Stoudamire struck when exiting, but his actions were, unfortunately, the same.

Aren't actions, not words, what really matter? Aren't actions what people should be judged by?

So forgive Raptor-nation for rightfully rolling their eyes at Bosh.

Hoopsvibe (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/104963-was-chris-bosh-different-than-vince-carter-tracy-mcggrady-and-damon-stoudamire-)

Public Enemy #1
08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Who cares, people are going to continue to bash Bosh and Lebron for years. Already getting tired of it. lol Can't wait for that Heat/Cavs game.

evadatam5150
08-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Not really. Even if he stayed, we probably would've sucked. In his 7 years, we only made the playoffs twice.

Not saying he's a bad player or anything though.

Thing is you will never know since he didn't nut up and play when he was cleared to do so..