PDA

View Full Version : Playing Time

nstojic
07-31-2010, 01:41 PM
When it was pointed out that a lot of people would be surprised to see Snider come up and not be in the lineup, Gaston was equally as flippant.

“Well, they can be surprised all they want,” Gaston replied with a chuckle. “I mean where would you like for me to put him?”

How about right field?

“And do what?”

Put Jose Bautista at third.

“Next year when you’re managing you can do that,” Gaston added.

Gaston then launched into a defence of third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and first baseman Lyle Overbay, two players who the Jays probably won’t be bringing back in 2011 if they don’t trade them before then.

“If I’m not mistaken, up until maybe a few days ago Edwin and Overbay have probably average-wise hit more than anybody in the last three weeks,” Gaston said. “And he’s a free agent too. We’ve talked about earlier in the year giving Overbay a chance and we’ve been real patient with him. So I’m going to try to give him (Encarnacion) a chance to get a job next year too.

“You’ll see some of that (moving players in and out), you’ll see Bautista play third and Snider play right. Some of that will take place, but not today.”

When it was pointed out that Snider is a young player who is part of their future, Gaston didn’t appear to be swayed.

“He’s going to get time to play,” Gaston said. “I’m just trying to play everybody, that’s all, trying to be fair to everyone. Snider’s going to get enough playing time.”

Somehow, though, it just doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense to have a player like Snider on the bench, a player everyone says is a big part of the future, and have a player like Encarnacion, who won’t be back, take his playing time away.

Snider, 22, isn’t griping.

“I spoke with Cito when I got in,” Snider said. “He’s going to do his best to get all of us in there and get at-bats. As long as we’re winning and the guys are playing well, any way I can contribute ... I’m happy to be on the bench or in the starting lineup. I’m just happy to be here and help the team any way I can.”

The best way he can help the team — this year and in the future — is if he plays.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2010/07/30/14885141.html

Cito, i get that you won't be here next year but the future is Snider... **** EE, Jose to 3B, Snider in RF... let's not lose sight of where this team is headed and who will take it there...

nithanyo
07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
I agree with cito. Snider is not going to get full playing time until he proves he is back. Cus right now Encarnasion is hitting too well to pull him. I can see snider getting bout 3-4 games a week either at DH or left field.

I dont understand why people gave up on EE so quick. His defense is shaky but his bat aint too bad. Maybe he can bring up his value we might be able to move him for some proper 3B prospect

The_Realist
07-31-2010, 02:05 PM
^^ You have to play to prove that you can play. If Snider isn't going to be in the lineup at least five times a week, then there is no point of having him here using up service time.

donatolla
07-31-2010, 02:13 PM
SO happy Cito's not around next year. He is poison to young players.

bomber0104
07-31-2010, 02:19 PM
**** Cito.. there is no ****ing logic for starting EE over him. nothing what so ever. Who cares if ****ing EE is hitting well. He is still an average player with no future on this team. Let ****ing Snider develope for God's sake

nstojic
07-31-2010, 02:25 PM
I agree with cito. Snider is not going to get full playing time until he proves he is back. Cus right now Encarnasion is hitting too well to pull him.

in 22 games, this month, he's hitting .310

BUT..........1 HR, 7 RBI, 2 BB?!?!?!

How is that 'hitting too well' to force Snider to the bench?!?!? Snider was starting to tear it up right before his injury... let's throw him right back into the fire and let him recapture that feeling...

wamco
07-31-2010, 02:39 PM
maybe lind should go to the bench

nstojic
07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
when people say, i've said it too, 'bautista isn't part of the future' in reference to trading him to the highest bidder, what does that say about encarnacion?!? this tool doesn't belong on this team, NOW, let alone the future... wamco, do you honestly believe that lind should sit?

wamco
07-31-2010, 02:51 PM
sure why not. We are trying to see if EE is part of the future or not while we know lind

A: sucks this year
B: Is signed for like the next decade
C: Does it all really matter? the remaining games are glorified scrimmages.

nstojic
07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
sure why not. We are trying to see if EE is part of the future or not while we know lind

A: sucks this year
B: Is signed for like the next decade
C: Does it all really matter? the remaining games are glorified scrimmages.

i personally don't see EE as part of this team, going forward, and if the games are 'scrimmages', then let snider play and let lind try his best at ending the season on a positive note to take into next season.. use the example of bautista... in several interviews, he's referenced back to the last month of last year and how things started to feel 'right' back then and how he used to offseason to work on what felt that way and how he could keep it going into this season... i guess you could use the same argument for EE but i just don't like the guy, as a player.. i hate shaky D...

wamco
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
of course snider should play everyday

StealingSigns
07-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Oh wow, I thought you had penned a comical scenario, nstojic, until I saw the Toronto Sun link.

How does Cito get a guaranteed job with the organization in the front office after this year, when it is clear he has no issue with hamstringing the development of its younger players so that his vets can cash in on free agency? And who cares about winning at this point? Is he going to go on another Aug/Sept crusade, beating up on call-ups so the season win total doesn't look so bad? **** I hope not, but if he is benching Snider already to maintain "win streaks" then things don't look so good.

nstojic
07-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Oh wow, I thought you had penned a comical scenario, nstojic, until I saw the Toronto Sun link.

How does Cito get a guaranteed job with the organization in the front office after this year, when it is clear he has no issue with hamstringing the development of its younger players so that his vets can cash in on free agency? And who cares about winning at this point? Is he going to go on another Aug/Sept crusade, beating up on call-ups so the season win total doesn't look so bad? **** I hope not, but if he is benching Snider already to maintain "win streaks" then things don't look so good.

if Snider doesn't start against CLE's rookie right hander, tomorrow, Cito's completely off his gourd!!!

Gibby
08-01-2010, 12:52 AM
“If I’m not mistaken, up until maybe a few days ago Edwin and Overbay have probably average-wise hit more than anybody in the last three weeks,” Gaston said.

sure edwin is hitting over 300 in july but only 326 OBP and a 429 SLG. get a clue cito and stop trying to sugar coat your stupidness.

R. Johnson#3
08-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey Cito, who was hitting the best on this entire team before he went down with his injury?