PDA

View Full Version : Want to solve the NBA "money problem?" Ditch the d-league.

daleja424
07-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Honestly. Why is the NBA pouring money into an irrelevant league? The d-league is a joke. Every year a handful of guys may get called up, but they usually sit on the inactive list. Why is the NBA paying the overhead for a league that no one cares about? A league that produces little to no NBA talent?

The NBA has a feeder system. Its called Europe and the NCAA. Young talent plays in college and overseas to show NBA teams what they can do. Have you ever watched a d-league game? Its a joke. It is a league filled with guys going one on one and playing little defense. Even if there was a lot of NBA talent playing there (which there isn't) the culture of the d-league system makes it nearly impossible to use it to evaluate talent.

The NBA needs to ditch the idea of having their own "minor leagues." It is simply a waste of money.

blastmasta26
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM
You're right, the D-League is ineffective and useless to an extent. So dropping it would probably help, but I don't know how much.

king4day
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM
There's gotta be bigger things costing the league money. It's good to develop. Even if its not against elite talent.

bctgg27
07-31-2010, 12:26 PM
It would be interesting to see the NBA set something up with foreign teams to help develop players. Seems like it would be a win win for both sides. NBA saves money with the D-league, foreign teams gain better talent, possibly improving ticket sales or interest with the locals.

xbrackattackx
07-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Honestly. Why is the NBA pouring money into an irrelevant league? The d-league is a joke. Every year a handful of guys may get called up, but they usually sit on the inactive list. Why is the NBA paying the overhead for a league that no one cares about? A league that produces little to no NBA talent?

The NBA has a feeder system. Its called Europe and the NCAA. Young talent plays in college and overseas to show NBA teams what they can do. Have you ever watched a d-league game? Its a joke. It is a league filled with guys going one on one and playing little defense. It isn't even a good system to evaluate talent.

The NBA needs to ditch the idea of having their own "minor leagues." It is simply a waste of money.

Yea anyways after that rant...

They should not ditch it. But they need guys who are Veterans/Former College stars there to give these young guys some influence and leadership. Guys like Sam Cassell,Pj Brown,Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill when he retires.

Reasons for the Vets to Play D-League.

1.Ticket Sales, everyone will come out to see players like Hill,Cassell and have a chance to meet and talk to them.

2. They need a locker room and floor general other then someone who is the same age as these young guys.

3. They would play for cheap most likely just for the love of the game. I am talking about guys here who are set and have good morals here.

4. It will make it more competitive having these guys and actually building teams not just giving people 2 years in the D-League

5.Bigger Fan Base

daleja424
07-31-2010, 12:30 PM
It would be interesting to see the NBA set something up with foreign teams to help develop players. Seems like it would be a win win for both sides. NBA saves money with the D-league, foreign teams gain better talent, possibly improving ticket sales or interest with the locals.

they really wouldnt. the talent in the d-league is less then in europe. here is what happens with players options:

1. nba
2. europe
3. d-league
4. asia

if you disband the d-league most of these guys will be going to asia. Most of the guys dont even have the talent to play in europe... or they would be (for more money and better comp).

daleja424
07-31-2010, 12:32 PM
the handful of dirt cheap tickets they sell cannot even begin to cover the overhead of an arena, paying players and coaches, equipment, staff, etc.

daleja424
07-31-2010, 12:33 PM

They should not ditch it. But they need guys who are Veterans/Former College stars there to give these young guys some influence and leadership. Guys like Sam Cassell,Pj Brown,Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill when he retires.

1.Ticket Sales, everyone will come out to see players like Hill,Cassell and have a chance to meet and talk to them.

2. They need a locker room and floor general other then someone who is the same age as these young guys.

3. They would play for cheap most likely just for the love of the game. I am talking about guys here who are set and have good morals here.

4. It will make it more competitive having these guys and actually building teams not just giving people 2 years in the D-League

5.Bigger Fan Base

why would they do that though??? Why would these ex nba stars want to go play for pennies against awful competition. And do you really think people are going to flock to see a 40 year old Sam Cassel play? LMAO.

iFYouSeekAmy
07-31-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree- but some teams assign inactive-horrible players to the D-League. Take Patty Mills, or Patrick O'Bryant for example. Until they're good enough, they're called up by their team.

Take away the D-League- where do players on current NBA roster improve?
Do they just waive him, or ship him off to Europe? ..are they really gonna ship the player off to Europe, and scout him?
--
Also, take the Warriors for example this year. Without the D-Leaguers, who would fill in the roster space? You can't expect an injured player to play large minutes.

daleja424
07-31-2010, 12:46 PM
I agree- but some teams assign inactive-horrible players to the D-League. Take Patty Mills, or Patrick O'Bryant for example. Until they're good enough, they're called up by their team.

Take away the D-League- where do players on current NBA roster improve?
Do they just waive him, or ship him off to Europe? ..are they really gonna ship the player off to Europe, and scout him?
--
Also, take the Warriors for example this year. Without the D-Leaguers, who would fill in the roster space? You can't expect an injured player to play.

guys will develop like they did before the d-league started... in practice and srimmages. + No one was really developing in the d-league anyways. You arent going to learn to be an nba player by playing against scrubs.

and like I said, the league did just fine without the d-league, there are always players to be found. every year there are tons of FAs that never find an nba team...

BrotherRedz
07-31-2010, 12:48 PM
why would they do that though??? Why would these ex nba stars want to go play for pennies against awful competition. And do you really think people are going to flock to see a 40 year old Sam Cassel play? LMAO.

Mr. I earned total $100M Antoine Walker really needs some pretty darn cash right now.

Give em the Job NBA but not anymore in the Millions more like fifty thousand per month or less

Hey guy like Walker can teach these young dudes how to shoot better 3's with good FG%

daleja424
07-31-2010, 12:51 PM
if toine wanted to play he could probably latch on in europe or even asia for A LOT more money

xbrackattackx
07-31-2010, 12:52 PM

There are always Vets that need money. And if it was more competitive ...It would make more Vets wanna do it just to see if they still got it. And if contracts are like 20-50 thousand for like 2 years maybe 1. Then some Vets would be happy with still just playing the game they love. And teaching what they know to up and comers. I think I have a good Idea.

heattiltheend94
07-31-2010, 12:52 PM
I agree. The NBA created this due to AAA baseball. As one can see, no one really utilizes the D League, like baseball.

allvalleychamp
07-31-2010, 01:04 PM
D-League was huge for the warriors...you want to fix the money problem in the NBA...stop this 7 year contract guaranteed BS...3 years tops! I'd also like to see salaries drop dramatically and ticket prices drop dramatically so the average person can bring their family to a game

DenButsu
07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Dale, I think there are legit aspects to your case, but I would really hate to see it done away with altogether. Rather than eliminating it, I'd like to see it be made more relevant. There would be an opportunity to do this in next year's CBA negotiations. Part of the ineffectiveness of the D-League is the lack of ease of moving players up or down. Part of it, also, is the negative status players get attributed with if they take a dip. Another huge part of the problem is that D-League games just aren't nearly entertaining enough in their own right, and also are extremely underpromoted. If it was actually a platform for players to show off their stuff, rather than a deep, dark pit into which they disappear for a while, it would be a very different animal.

I think the problem is much less the fact that the D-League exists (which is a fact that I like, and support), than the fact that it's not run or promoted very well.

xbrackattackx
07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
D-League was huge for the warriors...you want to fix the money problem in the NBA...stop this 7 year contract guaranteed BS...3 years tops! I'd also like to see salaries drop dramatically and ticket prices drop dramatically so the average person can bring their family to a game

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

BrotherRedz
07-31-2010, 01:13 PM

We saw what happened in the start of 2010 freeagency, few of them got overpaid

Ticket prices drop when you are not a contender or worth watching (see: Cleveland and Toronto)
Ticket prices go ridiculously up (see: Miami Heat)

Supply and Demand Basics

thekmp211
07-31-2010, 01:26 PM
to be honest, the biggest financial issue the league has is that up until last year the top 5 highest contracts in the league belonged to:
kg
starbury
tmac
rashard lewis
shaq

The NBA just got out of an era of grossly overpaying middling players. I understand that KG, Shaq and T-Mac were superstars at their respective signings, but shard and starbury represent the real problem. Franchise are burning 150 million dollar holes in their pockets for players who do not draw that revenue back. Those three stars are no longer players that put the butts in the seats, so to speak, and that is what garners max money. No, they aren't paying you because they think you're basketball skills are worth $150 mil.

The NBADL is a flawed instrument but it is a useful one. If anything, pumping MORE money into it to increase salaries and visability.

There is precisely one reason the talent goes to Europe: money.

If the NBA was smart, and if the players union focused more on athletes keeping their wealth as opposed to earning it, they would lower the guaranteed maximum for years and dollars in the NBA, while increasing the attractiveness of the d-league, both to players and fans.

daleja424
07-31-2010, 01:43 PM
I think the concept of a minor league system is not flawed, but its execution has made it a financial liability. If the league really is in financial disarray as Stern would have us believe (which I find HIGHLY unlikely), then it is not the time to be fooling around with something that is costing the league money.

AntiG
07-31-2010, 01:44 PM
the WNBA wastes a lot more money for the NBA than the D-League.

daleja424
07-31-2010, 01:48 PM
the wbna has a fan base. has some big time sponsers and tv deals. that league is in some financial trouble I am sure, but you would be hard pressed to disband a major professional league...especially when it is the best of its kind in the world. The point with getting tid of the d-league is that there are better and cheaper options out there.

gilly
07-31-2010, 01:54 PM
I think it would be more beneficial if teams 'loaned' their players to Europe. For example, the Lakers could have Barcelona as an affiliate. They could draft a prospect and if they weren't good enough yet, they could offer them to Barcelona to develop (if they didn't want them, they ould offer them to other European clubs).

Edwin
07-31-2010, 02:01 PM
The D- League is pretty wack. They dont promote it very well. It's like watching high school basketball with the horrible commentators. Plus, my team(Celtics) never keep any of the players that goes to the d- league. they either get cut, get like 2 days of actual playing time real game, or they get traded for before the trade deadline. It's pretty much useless.

Shady66
07-31-2010, 02:05 PM
The D League would be better if GMs/Coahces (whoever sends players down) sent more young players who arent getting minutes down. In the NHL it works well, but not in the NBA.

thekmp211
07-31-2010, 02:28 PM
the problem is, putting up a 20/10 in greece or spain is much different than in the d-league. the d in d-league has been the issue. besides money, the d-league needs to prove that it can "develop" middling young talent into a quality nba product. and until they pony up the money to keep better talent at home, it will stay that way.

dhopisthename
07-31-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't want them to get rid of the d-league because it is the only way small market teams such as the one I live in have a chance to see a game with better talent the college and high school. what would help it is to see players that sit on the end of the bench play in it. like most of the 1st round picks after 15 to get them some better playing time

daleja424
07-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't want them to get rid of the d-league because it is the only way small market teams such as the one I live in have a chance to see a game with better talent the college and high school. what would help it is to see players that sit on the end of the bench play in it. like most of the 1st round picks after 15 to get them some better playing time

well if Seattle cant keep a pro team while averaging 17k fans... why would d-league teams get to keep theirs while averaging a couple thousand...

dtmagnet
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Get rid of the WNBA, they give money to that too.

Bucsfan
07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
i would like to see how much money they spend on it...d leaguers make garbage for money....i make more money thatn lots of them!

agreed tho the d league is kinda pointless....i say ditch it

thekmp211
07-31-2010, 02:48 PM
well if Seattle cant keep a pro team while averaging 17k fans... why would d-league teams get to keep theirs while averaging a couple thousand...

before the raving seattle fans descend upon you, re-verse yourself in the story of professional basketball in seattle. the way you framed it in this comment is completely inaccurate.

Hellcrooner
07-31-2010, 03:01 PM
the soultion is make nbdl a scond division for nba, the winner and second place gets into nba next season, the last two teams in nba is relegted to nbdl.

It becomes interesting and eliminates tanking in one move,

ElMarroAfamado
07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
d-league AND WNBA
WNBA first

thekmp211
07-31-2010, 03:08 PM
the soultion is make nbdl a scond division for nba, the winner and second place gets into nba next season, the last two teams in nba is relegted to nbdl.

It becomes interesting and eliminates tanking in one move,

i love this system personally but youre out of your mind if you think it'll ever fly here, especially in the nba.

you think franchises are losing money now? wait until the kings or someone gets sent down and their entire revenue stream ***** the bed.

plus, the same 2-3 d-league teams would be getting sent up and down every year. there is not enough talent.

Hellcrooner
07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
i love this system personally but youre out of your mind if you think it'll ever fly here, especially in the nba.

you think franchises are losing money now? wait until the kings or someone gets sent down and their entire revenue stream ***** the bed.

plus, the same 2-3 d-league teams would be getting sent up and down every year. there is not enough talent.

obviusly this system woudl need atewking the draft in order that evcery team gets a shot at good players.

thekmp211
07-31-2010, 04:02 PM
obviusly this system woudl need atewking the draft in order that evcery team gets a shot at good players.

right, but i think the financial disparity between the pro and minor league franchises is so huge that it just wouldn't work out. what if kobe and gasol crash into eachothers cars and the lakers tank this coming season. then what?

although i would pay a little money to see the Lakers crush the Iowa Energy every day.

PHX2daDEATH
07-31-2010, 04:06 PM
i'll say it again.... 1)get rid of the bad teams who aren't making any money.. who keep losing year in and year out, teams who give players like Amir Johnson and Darko 30 million dollars. i dont think its right to have a team in Minnesota and Toronto (who I predict is going to have SERIOUS attendance problems this year) while Seattle sits teamless. Ive heard Stern talk about more expansion..WHY? to make more money?? No ..you want more money.. Cut the bad teams you jack! The only reason this guy is still Commissioner is because Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson saved his ***. You wanna talk about riding coat-tails? No Mike, no Larry, No Magic..Stern would of been done before 1990. When Baseball was having money problems in the late 90's they weren't trying to expand.. they were going to cut a few teams off the list..

If anything is wrong with the D-League is that its maybe too wide also.. cut it down to 8 teams maybe? its true not a lot of guys crossover.. the NBA needs to intergrate the two leagues more closely.. maybe hiring bigger named coaches who are assistants in the NBA? I would suggest this.. but it'll definately take the wind out of NCAA basketball... The league allows players to enter the draft after H.S... but instead of going straight to that team, they enter the D-League for a year.. thoughts?

thekmp211
07-31-2010, 04:33 PM
i'll say it again.... 1)get rid of the bad teams who aren't making any money.. who keep losing year in and year out, teams who give players like Amir Johnson and Darko 30 million dollars. i dont think its right to have a team in Minnesota and Toronto (who I predict is going to have SERIOUS attendance problems this year) while Seattle sits teamless. Ive heard Stern talk about more expansion..WHY? to make more money?? No ..you want more money.. Cut the bad teams you jack! The only reason this guy is still Commissioner is because Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson saved his ***. You wanna talk about riding coat-tails? No Mike, no Larry, No Magic..Stern would of been done before 1990. When Baseball was having money problems in the late 90's they weren't trying to expand.. they were going to cut a few teams off the list..

If anything is wrong with the D-League is that its maybe too wide also.. cut it down to 8 teams maybe? its true not a lot of guys crossover.. the NBA needs to intergrate the two leagues more closely.. maybe hiring bigger named coaches who are assistants in the NBA? I would suggest this.. but it'll definately take the wind out of NCAA basketball... The league allows players to enter the draft after H.S... but instead of going straight to that team, they enter the D-League for a year.. thoughts?

it's all simple economics my friend. those improvements you mentioned wont happen until the investment is made. why go to the d-league when you can become a millionaire in turkey?

mike_noodles
07-31-2010, 04:54 PM

5.Bigger Fan Base

Have them go in as player coaches, this is a good idea. These guys would not only teach them about the game on the court, but would also teach them to be pros off the court also.

TheTakeOver24
07-31-2010, 05:54 PM
yea i agree... d league is a waste of time.
i'd rather have those players go play in Europe where they are coached better and play against better talent.

lakersfan01
07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Yep, the Lakers ditched their D league team. The D league is a complete waste of time and money!

ntat
07-31-2010, 06:21 PM
**** that, get rid of the money pit that is the WNBA.