PDA

View Full Version : Does NBA Draft not like Charlotte?

LTBaByyy
07-31-2010, 02:26 AM
THey draft great college or international players, then their game just falls off after they get to Charlotte? Has anyone payed attention that, Here's a list of there first round picks since the expansion, They all were posed to have great NBA careers:

First Round Picks:

Okafor ( Rookie of the year, then average ever since)
Raymond Felton and Sean May
Adam Morrison
Brandan Wright and Jared Dudley (played bad in Charlotte)
DJ Augustin and Alexis Ajinca
Gerald Henderson

97NYer
07-31-2010, 02:42 AM
***** happens.

Wade>You
07-31-2010, 02:43 AM
Bad draft decisions, and their only no-brainer was taken by Orlando when they miraculously won the draft to land yet another dominant big.

homestarunner93
07-31-2010, 02:51 AM
THey draft great college or international players, then their game just falls off after they get to Charlotte? Has anyone payed attention that, Here's a list of there first round picks since the expansion, They all were posed to have great NBA careers:

First Round Picks:

Adam Morrison
Gerald Henderson

Charlotte is a terrible drafting team, but you're wrong on several things here. Felton is an average starting PG, he's by no means bad. Wright never even played in Charlotte, that pick was made for the Warriors so we could get J-Rich. Dudley didn't play bad in Charlotte at all, he was a high effort guy that fans loved. Augustin hasn't been bad, although we will really see what he's made of this year. Its far too early to judge Henderson, we had a good bit of depth, and LB doesn't really play young guys in playoff squads after the first couple of months. It seems liked you assumed a lot of thins in your post because you don't really have much knowledge on the Bobcats.

Catfish1314
07-31-2010, 02:54 AM
The draft hasn't been kind to them. But Henderson could still pan out.

Trouble87
what exactly is wrong with Gerald Henderson?

Korman12
In hindsight, yeah, they've made a series of poor choices, but there's more too it other than just poor luck.

First, there's the fact that most of those picks (Okafor, Felton, Morrison, Augustin) were no brainers at the time. Now that Felton is in NY, Augustin will be the permanent starter at the PG, so we'll see how he turns out. He had a solid rookie season but he slumped a ton last year. But those other picks just didn't translate, simple as that.

Also, the team's coaching and front-office decisions never were excellent. The franchise is coming of the best season they've had so far, so it goes without saying they're still getting the jist of things.

But yeah, the team isn't good at drafting so far.

MadeInDade3589
07-31-2010, 02:58 AM
Actually the NBA Draft doesnt like the Clippers

homestarunner93
07-31-2010, 03:00 AM
In hindsight, yeah, they've made a series of poor choices, but there's more too it other than just poor luck.

First, there's the fact that most of those picks (Okafor, Felton, Morrison, Augustin) were no brainers at the time. Now that Felton is in NY, Augustin will be the permanent starter at the PG, so we'll see how he turns out. He had a solid rookie season but he slumped a ton last year. But those other picks just didn't translate, simple as that.

Also, the team's coaching and front-office decisions never were excellent. The franchise is coming of the best season they've had so far, so it goes without saying they're still getting the jist of things.

But yeah, the team isn't good at drafting so far.

Augustin was a no-brainer? Sorry, I'm calling BS there. Brook Lopez was still on the board, and Charlotte needed a center badly. Many of the fans were upset about that one on draft night.

spreadeagle
07-31-2010, 03:01 AM
I was so Hype on May..Morrison as well..hey what do I know lol Felton still a nice player though.No sympathy though ,you guys killed us by taking Chandler n Diaw back n trading them to Dallas

Nwsports22
07-31-2010, 03:02 AM
The NBA doesnt like Seattle. Charlotte is fine.

LTBaByyy
07-31-2010, 03:16 AM

He's not bad but he doesnt play much bc its not a position of need
I mean he was drafted one pick after T Will lol

They had guys like these picked right after him:

Darren Collison
Jrue Holiday
Taj Gibson
Omar Casspi
Ty lawson
Hansborough (spark off the bench)
Roddy Buckets

Sandman
07-31-2010, 03:22 AM
Bad draft decisions, and their only no-brainer was taken by Orlando when they miraculously won the draft to land yet another dominant big.
It was a godsend. The Magic are not playing in this city anymore if they dont win the lottery and draft Dwight Howard.

The Orlando Miracle bolted town after the WNBA all-star game here and Orlando needed a miracle to keep the Magic here.

They got it. I will never trust Stern. There has been a lot of controversy around David Stern, and in particular the draft lottery over the passed 30 years. I grew up on long island a knicks fan, and we needed patrick ewing (queue david stern video bending the envelope), but what Howard has done for this franchise might eclipse that.

If the Magic don't win that lottery and don't draft Dwight Howard, there's no Amway Center being built downtown.

I won't deny Howard was a gift. But the words "yet another dominant big" got me thinking. What if they had kept C-Webb and Shaq and never traded for Penny. Do they beat the Rockets?

Korman12
07-31-2010, 03:22 AM
Augustin was a no-brainer? Sorry, I'm calling BS there. Brook Lopez was still on the board, and Charlotte needed a center badly. Many of the fans were upset about that one on draft night.

I was more citing to the fact that most analysts didn't have Lopez going 9, and Augustin seemed to be. Obviously Lopez would have been better, but a lot of people predicted Augustin going there.

VIP1349
07-31-2010, 03:56 AM
Barring really big old tub of waste Sean May and 'Mustache' Adam Morrison none of those guys are that bad. Raymond Felton & Emeka Okafor are both above average and DJ and Gerald will really be judged this year. Certainly not great drafts but other teams have done far worse.

maynevent
07-31-2010, 03:59 AM
He's not bad but he doesnt play much bc its not a position of need
I mean he was drafted one pick after T Will lol

They had guys like these picked right after him:

Darren Collison
Jrue Holiday
Taj Gibson
Omar Casspi
Ty lawson
Hansborough (spark off the bench)
Roddy Buckets

why does everyone wreck his name, the other day i was reading a bleacher report article and some guy called him omar cassipi, lolol, its OMRI CASSPI, get with it, cuz hes an israeli baller

LTBaByyy
07-31-2010, 04:05 AM
Lets be real haha

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of those first round draft picks were supposed to have GREAT careers or Above Average coming out of college

All of their stock failed when they played for charlotte, i think whatever coach that does developing needs to be evaluated seriously...

If Sean May or Morrison went to other teams they couldve been the TOTAL opposite

obviously jared dudley was a good player when he left, i think felton will be a good player

Okafor is a good player its just his contract makes him overrated

Lets face it playing in charlotte as young players something is goin on, Chandler was supposed to be good (He would be the starting Center for OKC if he didnt fail the physical cause the injury), he did good in new orleans cp3 i know but he's doing good with team USA!!!! So he's been doing good everywhere besides bobcats

VIP1349
07-31-2010, 04:06 AM
Your assuming Sean May wouldn't have eaten all those cheeseburger's else where? I highly doubt that.

LTBaByyy
07-31-2010, 04:09 AM
If sean may went to another team with good coaches to help him yes he wouldve been ATLEAST like big baby on a team, look at his college stats he was a beast, Morrison too, They needed a physical in your face coach, I wish Larry Brown was there when they drafted all these people

Sandman
07-31-2010, 04:25 AM
Lets be real haha

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of those first round draft picks were supposed to have GREAT careers or Above Average coming out of college

All of their stock failed when they played for charlotte, i think whatever coach that does developing needs to be evaluated seriously...

If Sean May or Morrison went to other teams they couldve been the TOTAL opposite

obviously jared dudley was a good player when he left, i think felton will be a good player

Lets face it playing in charlotte as young players something is goin on, Chandler was supposed to be good (He would be the starting Center for OKC if he didnt fail the physical cause the injury), he did good in new orleans cp3 i know but he's doing good with team USA!!!! So he's been doing good everywhere besides bobcats
Morrison shredded his knees I don't know if that's a fair statement.

Cano24
07-31-2010, 04:53 AM

besides the fact that he played at Duke?.....Charlotte just doesnt know how to develop the players....very rarely does a player come out of college and is fully developed

SugeKnight
07-31-2010, 05:34 AM
NBA doesnt like GS. since the lottery has started, the warriors have a +/- of -18

The one time we one the lottery, Joe Smith is consensus number 1

Wade>You
07-31-2010, 06:01 AM
It was a godsend. The Magic are not playing in this city anymore if they dont win the lottery and draft Dwight Howard.

The Orlando Miracle bolted town after the WNBA all-star game here and Orlando needed a miracle to keep the Magic here.

They got it. I will never trust Stern. There has been a lot of controversy around David Stern, and in particular the draft lottery over the passed 30 years. I grew up on long island a knicks fan, and we needed patrick ewing (queue david stern video bending the envelope), but what Howard has done for this franchise might eclipse that.

If the Magic don't win that lottery and don't draft Dwight Howard, there's no Amway Center being built downtown.

I won't deny Howard was a gift. But the words "yet another dominant big" got me thinking. What if they had kept C-Webb and Shaq and never traded for Penny. Do they beat the Rockets?Good points, and I agree there's something with Stern and Orlando, I think he sees potential for a big city market with Disney World and all.

As for the C-Webb + Shaq question, I think (in hindsight) a dominant front court a la twin towers was the only real way to compete with the Bulls in that era.

Sandman
07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
i think its key because like you said the potential for the city/area. the magic are the only sports team in the orlando area. they too have a chance to grow as the identity of professional sports between atlanta and miami. especially with the jags unable to televise homegames.

oh yeah, I also dont want to sound crazy saying howard was a gift. I dont mean it was a fix, just that howard was the perfect player at the perfect time for a franchise that could have been doomed. he was a gift to magic fans

Sandman
07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
i think its key because like you said the potential for the city/area. the magic are the only sports team in the orlando area. they too have a chance to grow as the identity of professional sports between atlanta and miami. especially with the jags unable to televise homegames.

oh yeah, I also dont want to sound crazy saying howard was a gift. I dont mean it was a fix, just that howard was the perfect player at the perfect time for a franchise that could have been doomed. he was a gift to magic fans

asandhu23
07-31-2010, 06:31 AM
you think you have got it bad? check out my warriors

Mochalman
07-31-2010, 07:50 AM
In bad drafts, Clippers > Bobcats

xxseven72ducexx
07-31-2010, 08:00 AM
yea it was on ESPN, that guy NBA Draft was quoted saying "he does not like Charlotte"...what are you talking about? First off, it's not really their fault they got Okafor, it was between him and Dwight Howard for the 1st pick and Okafor was close to being drafted by Orlando but obviously we know what happened there so Charlotte had no choice but to take him. Second, Raymond Felton is an above average PG, he's no Steve Nash but he gets the job done AND he JUST left Charlotte this year. Third, you're obviously right about Sean May and Adam Morrison bc they've been invisible during their NBA careers but who hasn't been able to see that? Now, Brandan Wright hasn't been good but he NEVER played for Charlotte and he netted them Jason Richardson in a trade so I don't see how that was bad for them. But how can you say Jared Dudley? He wasn't the player on Charlotte he is now on Phoenix but they still drafted him and knew he had potential and he turned out to be a very good bench player who hustles hard and gets things done so maybe it wasn't a good decision to get rid of him but were talking about the draft here. On to DJ Augustin, he's been a decent back-up for his brief NBA career and now that Felton is gone he has the chance to start so this season will be the one we find out if he was a bad pick or not but I don't think it's fair you would put him under the bad draft category for them. Alexis Ajinca also hasn't produced but they didn't draft him to immediately come in and be a star, he's still a project but has now moved on to Dallas in the Erick Dampier trade. And last is Gerald Henderson, how can you judge a player after only one year in the league? He was great in college and still has a lot of time and potential ahead of him to develop into a solid player, he'll get a lot more time in his 2nd year with a few players leaving for free agency so we'll find out more about him next season...to sum this up, I think it's unfair and more or less stupid to say the NBA Draft has been bad to Charlotte, they've only been in the league for a handful of seasons and have already been to the playoffs, no they haven't gone far in them or won a championship but nobody expects them to at this point in time. I'm more than sure you can find another team or teams that have had a worse draft history than the Charlotte Bobcats so please find another thread to start that's a lot more well thought out than this one

SouljahPhil...
07-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Kobe "Mamba" Bryant.. lol..

eventhough that was the hornets but still charlotte..

Khalifa21
07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
They just don't make good draft choices... Simple.

They passed on a ton of good players and I think the problem they've had is they've made mistakes pretty much every draft and haven't had anyone to disprove that theory yet. From 2004-2008 they passed on Devin Harris, Ben Gordon, Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger, David Lee, Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, Rajon Rondo, Joakim Noah, Thaddeus Young, Rudy Fernandez, Brook Lopez, Jason Thompson and Anthony Randolph.

They've taken okay players that have had average NBA careers, but they've consistently missed out on any real sort of talent.

It also looks like they draft a player more on what college he went to rather than potential or talent. If you look at their 14 draft picks, 9 have come from very accomplished programs... Raymond Felton, Sean May and Brandan Wright from North Carolina, Emeka Okafor from UConn, Bernard Robinson from Michigan, Adam Morrison from Gonzaga, Ryan Hollins from UCLA, DJ Augustin from Texas and Gerald Henderson from Duke. Obviously it's quite a safe bet in taking players from these kind of colleges but it's low risk, low reward.

They haven't gambled on any freshman as well. They've taken a load of juniors and seniors. They haven't struck out and taken a chance on a project yet and maybe that's why their draft choices look poor.

king4day
07-31-2010, 11:19 AM

First Round Picks:

Adam Morrison
Gerald Henderson

Dudley had a realy good tenure with the Bobcats. Not sure how you came to this conclusion.

LTBaByyy
07-31-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Pts 3.5 reb and 1 ast is really good huh??? My bad

Dudley was a 2nd team all American in college
Look at his stats with the suns, exactly

But with the bobcats he didn't play good or they wouldn't have traded him after one year

homestarunner93
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Lets be real haha

You still don't know what you're talking about, just stop. Both May and Morrison had bad injuries, now are you going to change the story again and say it was the training staff's fault? Do you know why Tyson Chandler failed his physical in OKC? Because he was HURT, and he's always hurt. The only reason he's on Team USA is because the stars opted out, and we literally have no other options. I know you're trying to stay positive on him because you're a Mavs fan, but Chandler is garbage. I also find it funny how before you said Dudley wasn't good, but now he was "obviously a good player." Another telltale sign of ignorance.

homestarunner93
07-31-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Pts 3.5 reb and 1 ast is really good huh??? My bad

Dudley was a 2nd team all American in college
Look at his stats with the suns, exactly

But with the bobcats he didn't play good or they wouldn't have traded him after one year

You're an idiot. He was playing fantastic for a rookie/early year sophomore. He played less than 20 MPG and was worth almost 3 win shares. He was also a great hustle player, which the stats don't show. You clearly just have no clue what you're talking about.

Kashmir13579
07-31-2010, 06:49 PM
sean may lol. where is that dude?

Kashmir13579
07-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Barring really big old tub of waste Sean May and 'Mustache' Adam Morrison none of those guys are that bad. Raymond Felton & Emeka Okafor are both above average and DJ and Gerald will really be judged this year. Certainly not great drafts but other teams have done far worse.

i enjoy your sig.

LTBaByyy
07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
You're an idiot. He was playing fantastic for a rookie/early year sophomore. He played less than 20 MPG and was worth almost 3 win shares. He was also a great hustle player, which the stats don't show. You clearly just have no clue what you're talking about.

Someone is a bobcats fan lol Calm down bro....DOnt get your panties all in a bunch

He played 19.0 minutes as a rookie and started 14 games!!
He played 21.4 minutes as a sophmore and started 7 games out of 20!!

Come on bro he got the minutes....

If you KNEW WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT you would see he avg the SAME STATS in pheonix the first year he was there as the whole time with the bobcats and and played 15 min a game!!!!!! Research bro

homestarunner93
07-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Someone is a bobcats fan lol Calm down bro....DOnt get your panties all in a bunch

He played 19.0 minutes as a rookie and started 14 games!!
He played 21.4 minutes as a sophmore and started 7 games out of 20!!

Come on bro he got the minutes....

If you KNEW WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT you would see he avg the SAME STATS in pheonix the first year he was there as the whole time with the bobcats and and played 15 min a game!!!!!! Research bro

I'm not saying he didn't get minutes, but you said he was no good because he was only scoring about 5 PPG. In reality, his line wasn't bad because he wasn't playing starter-type minutes. Of course his offensive stats looked better in Phoenix, they run/ran a fast-paced offense. His PER has been consistent over the course of his career, as has his DWS worth. The only thing that improved is his offense, which again makes sense because of Phoenix's offense. Do you realize there are stats other than PPG and MPG?