PDA

View Full Version : Adam Lind to First?

StealingSigns
07-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Wallace's departure has also blown the Blue Jays' succession plans at first, with Lyle Overbay set to become a free agent after the season. Manager Cito Gaston says it's a bit more important now to get Adam Lind some playing time at first down the stretch. "We want to see if he can play over there," said Gaston. "But, you know, in the off-season, there's still some first basemen out there that you can go get."

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=329064

Lawtonis
07-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm very pleased about this. Maybe playing in the feild every day with allow Lind to 'stay in the game' . Which is a common complaint from dh's. Hopefully this changes his game back to '09

B2theRY
07-30-2010, 11:38 PM
ya im not surprised.

StealingSigns
07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
ya im not surprised.

By which part, Lind to first, or the "we can get someone in the off-season?".

This is not the first time Cito has tipped the cap of what management is about to do.

wamco
07-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Lookout Yankees!

B2theRY
07-30-2010, 11:48 PM
By which part, Lind to first, or the "we can get someone in the off-season?".

This is not the first time Cito has tipped the cap of what management is about to do.

Both.

1B is the easiest position to fill in baseball.

Personally I have been pushing for Prince Fielder now since last year.
the guy is exactly what the Jays need and have lacked since they lost Delgado.

I just feel like Wallace was good, but was he a future All-Star?
At 24 years old and 3 teams have given up on you (which is good and bad because it means 4 other teams wanted you) but something just doesnt sit right.

I believe the Jays will spend money next season.. their starting staff has been unreal, their hitting has been pretty solid.. (could be much better)
Fill a few holes and maybe they arent as far away as people think.

BlueJayFanDan
07-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Both.

1B is the easiest position to fill in baseball.

Personally I have been pushing for Prince Fielder now since last year.
the guy is exactly what the Jays need and have lacked since they lost Delgado.

I just feel like Wallace was good, but was he a future All-Star?
At 24 years old and 3 teams have given up on you (which is good and bad because it means 4 other teams wanted you) but something just doesnt sit right.

I believe the Jays will spend money next season.. their starting staff has been unreal, their hitting has been pretty solid.. (could be much better)
Fill a few holes and maybe they arent as far away as people think.

It's not giving up on him. The Cardinals moved him for a guy they thought they needed to win a championship. A's moved him for a prospect they really wanted from us and we really wanted Wallace. We moved Wallace to get a guy that AA clearly thinks is the future of our centerfield and more then likely a future leadoff man, something we really don't have besides Fred Lewis. No one has "given up" on Wallace. They have moved him to add necessary parts for present or future. Cardinals didn't need him. Pujols is their 1st baseman. A's have Daric Barton at 1st. We all knew he wasn't gonna stay at 3rd. Our 1st base situation looks as if Lind is going to play there. We shall see. There was little need for Wallace in the first two places and and we moved him for a guy we just wanted more it seems. Astros are a great fit as they don't seem to have a plan at 1st base for the future. I am still opposed to this trade as of now but it is what it is.

StayOnBoard
07-31-2010, 12:41 AM
It's not giving up on him. The Cardinals moved him for a guy they thought they needed to win a championship. A's moved him for a prospect they really wanted from us and we really wanted Wallace. We moved Wallace to get a guy that AA clearly thinks is the future of our centerfield and more then likely a future leadoff man, something we really don't have besides Fred Lewis. No one has "given up" on Wallace. They have moved him to add necessary parts for present or future. Cardinals didn't need him. Pujols is their 1st baseman. A's have Daric Barton at 1st. We all knew he wasn't gonna stay at 3rd. Our 1st base situation looks as if Lind is going to play there. We shall see. There was little need for Wallace in the first two places and and we moved him for a guy we just wanted more it seems. Astros are a great fit as they don't seem to have a plan at 1st base for the future. I am still opposed to this trade as of now but it is what it is.

Very good assessment, I agree with you. He was blocked by the Cards and A's - Taylor (although having a bad year) was the prospect the A's wanted. The Jays DO have Lind but I have a feeling they'll pick someone up in free agency. You can get cheap power at 1st - OR - they can try to go after Fielder. Personally I dont see that part happening as they want to build through the farm system but it would be great to have a solid veteran like that. I was always a fan of his father growing up as well... would love to see him a blue jay.

But..... his agent is Boras I believe :( and he wants Teixera type money.

StealingSigns
07-31-2010, 12:59 AM
But..... his agent is Boras I believe :( and he wants Teixera type money.

Thats all you need to know.

Plus the guy is in serious need of a bra when rounding first. His dad was out of shape and **** but c'mon.

nithanyo
07-31-2010, 07:29 AM
I like the idea of Lind at first. Too young to be a full time DH. Plus we can grab a solid DH through free agency

LunchBox
08-04-2010, 11:22 PM
2012 Blue Jays 1st base: Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder? I know he is 2 years older but I prefer A-Gon for his defense and size. If I had to sign a guy long term, I'm taking the guy who is 6'2" 225lb over 5'11" 270lb.

One obstacle I see is having two massive contracts, but maybe we can re-finance the last couple years of Wells' deal.