PDA

View Full Version : What is the real reason Lebron changed his number?

LTBaByyy
07-29-2010, 04:01 AM
We all heard him say honoring MJ b4 last season....

BUT Was it really bc Miami already retired the number 23???

There are so many stories out that are hinting that they had planned to play together....

He all of a sudden changed it now? and he had to do it a year early cause of jerseys or Nike i forgot

Just something to think about and get opinions

John Walls Era
07-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Never thought of it like that. Could it be that he wanted to go to Miami midseason?

stawka
07-29-2010, 04:09 AM
This is what lead me to believe he already made his mind up about changing teams. Chicago and Miami have retired "23" - maybe he knew, maybe it was a precautionary thing in case he did leave. Who knows though?

Then again - if he knew he was going to Miami, why would he "change" his number mid-season. He'd be forced to choose a new number on arrival anyway

NetsPaint
07-29-2010, 04:12 AM
This is what lead me to believe he already made his mind up about changing teams. Chicago and Miami have retired "23" - maybe he knew, maybe it was a precautionary thing in case he did leave. Who knows though?

Then again - if he knew he was going to Miami, why would he "change" his number mid-season. He'd be forced to choose a new number on arrival anyway

Well LeBron is a bonehead so he might have not put much thought into this.

LTBaByyy
07-29-2010, 04:15 AM

No I read somewhere that he had to change his number a year early cause of something

LeWade>Kobe
07-29-2010, 04:17 AM
He couldn't wear 23 in CHI or MIA. Two of his top 3 possible destinations. He did want to respect MJ and kindly requested that others follow in his footsteps and go towards retiring the #23 league-wide. Since his glory years will not be in CLE maybe he wanted footage/remembrance of him to be seen in future years in the #6 Miami jersey. Maybe he realized he is such a spectacle he wanted his own image rather than wearing the jersey he had donned since High School in order to tribute Michael.

stawka
07-29-2010, 04:20 AM
No I read somewhere that he had to change his number a year early cause of something

Did you read what I said though? If you're staying on the same team, you need to file a request in by a certain date. If you're changing teams, you change numbers on arrival - ESPECIALLY if it's Miami or Chicago because "23" is retired

JiffyMix88
07-29-2010, 04:28 AM
whos number is retired in miami?

LeWade>Kobe
07-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Pat Riley retired it in honor of the best player to ever play the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/6310850

tredigs
07-29-2010, 04:33 AM

Michael Jordan's... seriously.

And I've heard this conspiracy theory also. Let's say it's true (doubt it)... who cares?

The Lebron jockage on here has gotten out of control - the guy honestly needs his own sub-forum; sick of seeing threads on him + the heat.

NetsPaint
07-29-2010, 04:35 AM

And I've heard this conspiracy theory also. Let's say it's true (doubt it)... who cares?

The Lebron jockage on here has gotten out of control - the guy honestly needs his own sub-forum; sick of seeing threads on him + the heat.

Agreed. I don't hate him or anything, but every page in the majority is about him.

LeWade>Kobe
07-29-2010, 04:38 AM

LOL Lebron is and has been my favorite player in the league and I'm almost sick of it by now. I agree on the sub forum because it would be embarassing/funny to watch all the Laker and Bulls fans that would still find themselves in the "Lebron forum" hahaha

LTBaByyy
07-29-2010, 04:43 AM
Did you read what I said though? If you're staying on the same team, you need to file a request in by a certain date. If you're changing teams, you change numbers on arrival - ESPECIALLY if it's Miami or Chicago because "23" is retired

I know that but people on espn said he night have done that to show the fans cava had a chance!! Instead of waiting

Wade>You
07-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Agreed. I don't hate him or anything, but every page in the majority is about him.I agree, too. The majority are hate threads.

bholly
07-29-2010, 06:46 AM

There are so many stories out that are hinting that they had planned to play together....

He all of a sudden changed it now? and he had to do it a year early cause of jerseys or Nike i forgot

I know that but people on espn said he night have done that to show the fans cava had a chance!! Instead of waiting

The only reason to file papers to change mid-season would be if a) he was thinking of staying in Cleveland, or b) he wanted people to think he was staying in Cleveland. If you think both are possible, then the fact that he did it gives us absolutely no new information about whether he'd decided or not.

No offense, buddy, but your point is completely meaningless.

Blazers#1Fan
07-29-2010, 08:00 AM
i think he didnt wanna be under jordans shadow anymore with that number

S-Dot
07-29-2010, 08:14 AM
1. He truly did respect MJ so not wearing #23 would honor him.
2. He wants to start his own legacy with his own number. Dr. J and Bill Russell were the last greats to wear #6, and their most of the young fans are too young to remember them. This will give LBJ his chance to have his own number.
3. I believe there is some truth in the fact that he was looking at CHI and MIA, and saw he couldn't wear the number there.

NBAfan4life
07-29-2010, 08:28 AM
It really is pretty simple he knew for a fact he was leaving Cleveland if they did not win a championship, I think he may of left regardless. At the end of the day he did not want to carry his team.

Either did Bosh that is why he took so long coming back from injury.

Both those guys left their teams to get some meaningless draft picks and trade exceptions for them. Should of just man upped and said they would not be back so at least they could of gotten fair trades for their previous teams

dodie53
07-29-2010, 08:35 AM
maybe he likes the number 6 more than the number 23
:shrug:

KingerSox
07-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Who honestly cares what number he wears? Does it make any difference? There's probably people who care what this guy eats for breakfast every day. I'm just glad he didn't have an hour long show before he announced his new number.

S-Dot
07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Who honestly cares what number he wears? Does it make any difference? There's probably people who care what this guy eats for breakfast every day. I'm just glad he didn't have an hour long show before he announced his new number.

True fans do care. I still remember when Jordan had to wear #45. I went to school the next day telling everyone.

Kobe fans cared when he changed to #24.

I do agree about the hour long special though.

JordansBulls
07-29-2010, 08:55 AM

People don't want Tmac threads anymore. So gotta have threads on someone.

RaffyBoy
07-29-2010, 09:13 AM
why did jordan change his number? why did kobe? i think lebron james still didnt know where he was going, personally i think at that point he wanted to stay in cleveland. i think its all about jersey sells. nike and his agent probably talked about it and if he changed his number, people would have to go out and buy it. i think he needed an excuse and used mj.

Boston33
07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
That fact that he was number 23 in Cleveland would not preclude him from signing in Miami and therefore deciding(being forced to) to change his number.

BKNets21
07-29-2010, 09:19 AM
If he knew he was going to Miami there would be absolutely no need to file to change his number as he'd just have to select a new one when he got there.

This thread is pretty pointless.

S-Dot
07-29-2010, 09:20 AM
why did jordan change his number? why did kobe? i think lebron james still didnt know where he was going, personally i think at that point he wanted to stay in cleveland. i think its all about jersey sells. nike and his agent probably talked about it and if he changed his number, people would have to go out and buy it. i think he needed an excuse and used mj.

1. If I'm not mistaken, MJ had to wear #45 because his #23 jersey was currently in retirement when he came back in 1995.

2. I'm not sure about Kobe. He said he wanted to go back to his first number in high school, but you're right, jersey sales could have been the determining factor for that one.

thedon01
07-29-2010, 09:33 AM
because he loves the damn attention it generates for himself

mark1125
07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Yet another stupid LeBron thread. They do have a miami Heat forum right?

netsgiantsyanks
07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
we def need a sub-forum for lebron. this is getting too crazy. let all the lebron dickriders and the lebron haters ***** somewhere else.

macc
07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
6 is the day his first son was born (forget the month), either way thats why he changed it to 6. To honor is son. Stop hating on the guy for a number change.

mark1125
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
we def need a sub-forum for lebron. this is getting too crazy. let all the lebron dickriders and the lebron haters ***** somewhere else.

Agreed x-100

Do we really have to talk about every LeBron James bowel movement or what kind of pop tarts he likes?

Seems like some mods lock them up while other mods love the LeBron threads.

jrok217
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
i think this forum is a waste of space, if he knew he was going to leave he wouldn't need to submit the form to begin with. Like many have already said, when u arrive to a new team, u choose your # of choice. So it doesnt make sense that he changed his number thinking of how in Miami it had been retired.
However, it would make more sense that he submitted the form in case he decided to stay in Cleveland. Be logical, the end.:clap:

RCarlson85
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Yet another stupid LeBron thread. They do have a miami Heat forum right?

Yes there is a Heat forum, but we don't care enough about this to make a thread. Because he can just change his number when he joins another team, but has to file to make the change if he were to stay on the Cavs, this would make it seem like he was at least thinking about staying with the Cavs.

Kdirt
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
illumanati got his mind, sole and his body

xbrackattackx
07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Who Cares, Let's talk about Lebron James!

Kingdre619
07-29-2010, 10:54 AM

one word: ILLUMINATI 666 look at his pre game stuff

after the national anthem he throws up 2 sixes

now his jersey number is 6, it will read 6-6-6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhSOjrHcec

P.S. i donot believe kobe is one of them, i jus believe lebron, and gilbert arenas, changed his number from 0 to 6, then his mother died( sacrifice) and he changed it to 9

which is an upside down 6

Kobe2324
07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I say it is because miami has it retired, once again Lebron being the media hog he is Made it sound like some big tribute to MJ, Big load of crap that was. Although I absolutely agree that nobody should be aloud to wear that number, certain numbers should just be retired throughout the league, at least Pat Riley agreed.

justinnum1
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
It really is pretty simple he knew for a fact he was leaving Cleveland if they did not win a championship, I think he may of left regardless. At the end of the day he did not want to carry his team.

Either did Bosh that is why he took so long coming back from injury.

Both those guys left their teams to get some meaningless draft picks and trade exceptions for them. Should of just man upped and said they would not be back so at least they could of gotten fair trades for their previous teams

Fair trade? They both wanted to go to miami, and both were ready to go with out a trade. Cle, and Toronto are lucky they got what they got.

Avenged
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM

P.S. i donot believe kobe is one of them, i jus believe lebron, and gilbert arenas, changed his number from 0 to 6, then his mother died( sacrifice) and he changed it to 9

.. are you serious?

Russollini
07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
I said this before only two teams in the league, Miami and Chicago, had the number 23. He changed it mid season to boost his jersey sales in Cleveland before he left. By changing his number everyone would buy his new jersey before they had to burn it lol.

Go HEAT!

Russollini
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM

What is wrong with you??

Why the 6? 2*3=6

xbrackattackx
07-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Some people are way to High in here.

Kingdre619
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
What is wrong with you??

Why the 6? 2*3=6

6 is the number of the devil

btw: kobe's number is 24

2+4=6

redsox96
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
maybe hes a devil worshiper. 6 is closer to...

BkOriginalOne
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
As much as I disapprove of Lebron's actions.
And oh, I do.

I think this is pure coincidence. He would've had to know Bosh was going too and that Riley was going to make play for them both.
If he signed with the HEAT before changing his number, he would have HAD to change and would've chosen 6 anways.
Didn't SHaq change to 34, because the Lakers had 32 retired?

Either way, Lebron is a jerk with a small heart.

TanMidas
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
That might have something to do with it but, I just think he did it to take the number one spot away from Kobe in terms of jersey sales. When Kobe changed his numbers his jersey sales sky-rocketed, so Lebron's doing the same.

goeatfish63
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
i dont think it was becuz the #23 was retired in miami. i think he just wanted to change his number to honor michael jordan and just for a change. im sure if he really wanted to he couldve worn #23 with miami, the heat "retired" #13 in honor of dan marino yet mike miller is gonna wear #13 according to the heat roster

Increidble
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Could of been

REALLYYYYY?
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
so lebron chose to honor mj by retiring the number 23 but then chose a number worn by julius erving and maybe other great players?

i figured he changed it because he was planning on most likely joining chicago. however, i did not know that miami had also retired it.

rick66ankiel24
07-29-2010, 12:47 PM
same reason i said when he announced he was changing it for next year.. 23 is retired in Miami

gbrl
07-29-2010, 03:32 PM
lebron james

J_M_B
07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
No that's not why, but it's a cool thing to think about.

I've read an article that he really wanted to overcome Kobe in jersey sales, etc.

He didn't want to only beat Kobe on the court, but off the court also.

king4day
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think there would have been a penalty had he waited until he signed to then announce a new number. You can't help it if your old number is retired.

J_M_B
07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't buy into the "honorng MJ" suff..

How about Bill Russell, he wore #6. The greatest winner ever and seen by many as the second best player in NBA history.

The move to #6 was more likely about money and jersey sales.

J_M_B
07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
i dont think it was becuz the #23 was retired in miami. i think he just wanted to change his number to honor michael jordan and just for a change. im sure if he really wanted to he couldve worn #23 with miami, the heat "retired" #13 in honor of dan marino yet mike miller is gonna wear #13 according to the heat roster

The Heat 'honored' Marino's number, but it wasn't retired.

The only numbers retired by Miami: #10, #23, #33

hugepatsfan
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM
MIA retiring MJ's number is a joke. They also retired (no one uses it, IIRC) Dan Marino's # for the basketball team. lol

EDIT: Just read that Miller will wear #13 so I stand corrected on that part.

SupeUnagi
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
eh he was pushing for chris bosh to come to cleveland, but once he saw that no one was coming he said **** it and went to miami

i just think it was spontaneous
he could always just change his number when he signed with his new team so it doesnt make any sense