PDA

View Full Version : Jays Interested in Kelly Johnson?

bomber0104
07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
According to Rotoworld

Aaron Hill would be willing to move to third base in order to improve the team.

"My first, gut instinct would be to say that Im comfortable where I am, but if youre bringing somebody in to make the team better, yeah Id move position," said the struggling Hill, who will earn $5 million in 2011, $8 million in 2012 and 2013 and $10 million in 2014. This is a relevant discussion now that the Jays are interested in Kelly Johnson of the Diamondbacks, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com. Edwin Encarnacion is unlikely to stick at third base in the long-term, but Jose Bautista could play there if he survives the trade deadline.

That is the first time i've heard this rumor and I don't really like it. Hill should be focusing on getting his hitting ability back before we try to have him learn 3B.

Not to mention, i'm not a Johnson fan at all. He had an amazing April where he hit over .300 with 9 HRs and followed it my a May and June where he hit around .240 with only 4 HRs in double th ABs. He is picked it up again in July but I still wouldn't want him here.

I'd like to try Emaus at second or 3rd before trading for a guy like Johnson

Gibby
07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
i dont get this move, who would we move? Kelly Johnson will be a free agent after this year. I thought we were after prospects or good young controllable players

DiPasquale7
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
If we are going to do that, I'd rather go to the Marlins and go after Uggla... Assuming we could lock him up long term of course

Gibby
07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
i think jays should consider moving hill to 3b but not acquiring kelly johnson. Hill defence at 2b has suffered the last couple years, he is not as good as when he came up first to the majors.

B2theRY
07-28-2010, 03:17 PM
hill to me is a gold glove 2B.

i wouldnt move him
but its easier to find a 2B
then a 3B

plus hill can put up the power numbers you need from a 3B

Dr.Funk
07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
If we are going to move Hill to 3B is has to be for a significant acquisition at 2B. Kelly Johnson is not significant enough to warrant such a move.

Gibby
07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
hill to me is a gold glove 2B.

i wouldnt move him
but its easier to find a 2B
then a 3B

plus hill can put up the power numbers you need from a 3B

to me hill showed GG potential a few years ago but last couple of years his defence has been average at best.

If we are going to move Hill to 3B is has to be for a significant acquisition at 2B. Kelly Johnson is not significant enough to warrant such a move.

i agree also Johnson is going to be FA. I would move him if we also have stud 3b spec. Maybe they think Emaus can be legit hitter than maybe but we dont if he can do that mlb level yet. we emaus proves that then we think about moving hill. Plus how is emaus defence at 2b and 3b?

Kelly Gruber
07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah head scratcher for sure. I'm sure it's just rumblings...

wolverine
07-28-2010, 04:19 PM
No thanks, hill is not a third baseman and kelly johnston is not the answer for the future of the jays....i hope this is just a eklund baseball rumor

bartron_44
07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Hechavarria/Escobar is the future middle infield for Toronto as far as I am concerned...They would be a sick combination imo.

boilerguy2412
07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Johnson is a middle of the road 2nd basemen at best. There's no way AA would give up anything other then a bag of balls for him. IMO 1b:Wallace, 2nd:Hech, SS:Escobar, 3B: Hill. That's the teams plan for the future infield.

Big Hurt
07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
$33 million for 4 years is not looking like quite the bargain for Hill that it seemed like last year

Gibby
07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
$33 million for 4 years is not looking like quite the bargain for Hill that it seemed like last year

its was 4/ 12 million from 08-11. that is certainly a bargain and he is only going to make 5 million next year. Then its 3 club options from 2012-14 for 8,8,10. The good thing is jays have an option if they want to keep him

Twitchy
07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Did you guys see what their GM just gave up for Haren? We might as well offer Litsch for Upton because there's a good chance it might pan out. Litsch is a proven winner!1!

I'm not a big fan of Kelly Johnson but it depends on what we give up for him. I don't see a spot for him though.

BlueJayFanDan
07-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I would hate a move for Kelly Johnson. he has 1 good month and EVERYONE wants him. He is not a great player. No thanks.

H-MYK
07-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Ehh, I don't like this move.

BlueJayCarter
07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't think a trade like that will happen unless Kelly Johnson is a side piece.

nstojic
07-29-2010, 08:56 AM
this is one we just have to chalk up to rumor... a trade like this would go against everything AA has been saying and doing... so, i don't think this ever happens...

B2theRY
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I would take Kelly Johnson.. I liked him with ATL and I still like him with Zona.

The guy will hit you probably 15 Homers... Hit about .260-.280

Flip EE for Kelly Johnson and see how it pans out the rest of the season..

:P

As for the hill comment that he is overpriced now you guys are all too much man.. the guys average is crap but his power numbers and defense is still there.. the guy got hurt at the begining of the season with a hammy and he never recovered.. who cares to me its a lost year.. its like saying now LIND is *** too.

Stop jumping on and off the bandwagon of players.

GNick
07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Harder to get a top 3b than a top 2b. Hill may do better at bat moving to 3b also.

B2theRY
07-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I think Aaron Hill is fantastic and still my fave Jay. I love him at 2B because his offensive production from a 2B is pretty damn good.

That being said his power numbers are not bad for a 3B.

I like Kelly Johnson his defense i dont believe is solid but his offensive numbers arent bad the guy would have the 3rd highest batting avg on the team.