PDA

View Full Version : Report: Jays want chamberlain for downs, yanks balk

Mile High Champ
07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
In their pursuit of Blue Jays reliever Scott Downs, the Yankees reportedly aren't willing to part with the player that Toronto has said they would want in a trade.

According to a story in the New York Post, a source said that the Jays want right-hander Joba Chamberlain in exchange for the 34-year-old Downs, but the team is balking at that potential swap.

The Post's George A. King III reports that he has been told the Jays' asking prices are too high for the Yankees and also the Red Sox, both of whom had been rumoured to be showing interest in Downs in recent days.

Chamberlain was previously requested as part of a trade with the Diamondbacks in exchange for Dan Haren, who ended up going to the Angels.

As for Downs, he has approximately $1.3 million left on his salary for the 2010 season, and has limited left-handed opponents to a .185 batting average, with righties hitting .240 off him this season.

Whether the Jays and Yankees will be able to agree on a deal or not, things are certainly heating up as the MLB trade deadline approaches

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=328763

If I were AA, I would not be doing the yankees any favours either. Keep the price high...

The_905
07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
He's just doing his job, highball for a team in need not to mention a team in your division.

Joba would fit really nice in our closers role for many years..

bomber0104
07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
yeah no need to come down from the asking price for the time being

the_jon
07-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I think it's just AA's way of telling the Yankees they're not getting Downs. Joba for Downs is just ******** from the Yankee perspective.

wamco
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
maybe joba is just a tad overrated?

bomber0104
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
maybe joba is just a tad overrated?

Agreed...

I know the Yankees like to overvalue their prosepcts but something has to be said about the guy having a 5.50 ERA and has seen his velocity drop 5 MPH over the last year

FlakeyFool
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I heard it was jesus montero

2009mvp
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Agreed...

I know the Yankees like to overvalue their prosepcts but something has to be said about the guy having a 5.50 ERA and has seen his velocity drop 5 MPH over the last year

Where'd you figure on that number? He's averaging 95 this year, not where he was when he first started in the pen (~97) but not down 5 clicks.

I doubt it's gonna happen, but I like the idea a lot. The Jays' staff seems to do a good job of developing changeups, if Joba were to find the ability to throw even an average change he could very well turn into an excellent middle of the rotation starter.

BIGdanielBABY
07-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I heard it was jesus montero

i heard that too but that would never happen. Joba would be a very nice trade though.

bomber0104
07-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Where'd you figure on that number? He's averaging 95 this year, not where he was when he first started in the pen (~97) but not down 5 clicks.

I doubt it's gonna happen, but I like the idea a lot. The Jays' staff seems to do a good job of developing changeups, if Joba were to find the ability to throw even an average change he could very well turn into an excellent middle of the rotation starter.

i didn`t say i wouldn`t like him on the Jays.. i was just saying that the Yankees shouldn`t think that Joba is a ridiculous asking price for Downs

Buddahmunc
07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
i can't see the yanks parting with montero for downs, but chamberlain does not seem that unrealistic. if they are looking for a solid setup man there are not too many better options available.

Big Hurt
07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
i can't see the yanks parting with montero for downs, but chamberlain does not seem that unrealistic. if they are looking for a solid setup man there are not too many better options available.

The Joba trade would be an immediate upgrade for the Yankee's.
Keep winning Boston and make the Yanks nervous. That would be the best thing we can hope for.

Halladay
07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
He's young and he's got an arm but that's it at this point for him. He's certainly over-rated without a doubt which isn't anything different for most Yankees.

BlueJayFanDan
07-28-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't really like Joba but this is a great job by AA. Downs is worth a lot more to a contendor then just a playoff run. He is a type A. We cant trade him if we don't get good value. If we cant get value I would keep him and take the picks. Great work by AA. Keep the asking price high.

H-MYK
07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I find Joba to be overrated

nithanyo
07-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Joba has skill. But i hate him as a person. You kno he basks in the spotlight. As soon as he hits free agency you kno he is going to bolt for a bigger market..... AND he showboats too much

ramz.n
07-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I find Joba to be overrated

everyone dawning the pin stripes is overrated.

broncosfan_101
07-28-2010, 11:05 PM
2.46 career FIP as a reliever...yea, he's real overrated. :rolleyes:

wamco
07-28-2010, 11:22 PM
too bad most people look at you know era and whip and silly things like that rather than fip.

bomber0104
07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
2.46 career FIP as a reliever...yea, he's real overrated. :rolleyes:

i like fip but u cant just throw out the other numbers out

wamco
07-28-2010, 11:47 PM
he just got demoted from his 8th inning gig....ya, real overrated.

broncosfan_101
07-28-2010, 11:54 PM
i like fip but u cant just throw out the other numbers out

3.69 career FIP...real overrated. :rolleyes: You don't think his inflated ERA this year is because, I don't know, his ridiculous .400 BABIP? This directly leads to a crazy 61% LOB rate, which means he's giving up (unlucky) hits in bunches.

too bad most people look at you know era and whip and silly things like that rather than fip.

bahaha you're right, those are silly things compared to FIP.

bomber0104
07-29-2010, 12:15 AM
3.69 career FIP...real overrated. :rolleyes: You don't think his inflated ERA this year is because, I don't know, his ridiculous .400 BABIP? This directly leads to a crazy 61% LOB rate, which means he's giving up (unlucky) hits in bunches.

bahaha you're right, those are silly things compared to FIP.

you can't really arrive at that conclusion unless if you have watched the guy pitch all year.

From what i've seen, the dude gives up runs in bunches which has lead to his inflated ERA. the ERA and numbers are not the only problem. the velocity is down and the guy just can't handle pressure situations

wamco
07-29-2010, 12:17 AM
the next kevin maas

broncosfan_101
07-29-2010, 12:30 AM
you can't really arrive at that conclusion unless if you have watched the guy pitch all year.

From what i've seen, the dude gives up runs in bunches which has lead to his inflated ERA. the ERA and numbers are not the only problem. the velocity is down and the guy just can't handle pressure situations

He's giving up runs in bunches because 40% of the time hitters put the bat on the ball it's falling for knocks. That's unlucky.

And this question about velocity, I'm assuming you're comparing this year to 2007? Yes, it's a little troubling, but he's also trying to mix in more deuces instead of sliders, which are more taxing on arms. This obviously doesn't explain the entire 2.5 mph drop, but I'd say part of it for sure.

I haven't really gotten into leverage sabrs yet, so I don't know about the pressure situations.

1hardcore
07-29-2010, 02:53 AM
**** joba wokie

ChongInc.
07-29-2010, 03:52 AM
**** joba wokie

Lmfao!

wamco
07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
I guess that idiot girardi forgot to look at his fip before demoting him

boilerguy2412
07-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I think the Yanks are going to give in and give us Montero or Joba, they need Downs, especially with there best LHP in the ben being Boone Logan. Maybe the jays throw in a low rated prospect.

wamco
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Give them gregg or bautista or buck or whoever else if it means montero is coming back.

DiPasquale7
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I hope you're right.. Montero for Downs and a propsect would be incredible.. We could even REALLY go for it and try and expand it:

Montero, Chamberlain
for
Downs, Litsch, 1/2 mid-level specs

That'd be nice...

DiPasquale7
07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Give them gregg or bautista or buck or whoever else if it means montero is coming back.

The other 2 I would include for sure.. Not Bautista though.. Either he brings back an blue chip himself or we keep him..

bomber0104
07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I hope you're right.. Montero for Downs and a propsect would be incredible.. We could even REALLY go for it and try and expand it:

Montero, Chamberlain
for
Downs, Litsch, 1/2 mid-level specs

That'd be nice...

dude what is up with you and proposing these insane offers

the Yankees won't give up Montero if we gave them Downs and Arencibia probably

DiPasquale7
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
You're probably right.. But I think I'd prefer JPA to Montero strickly based on the fact that he can play catcher and we already have a DH locked up for our future

boilerguy2412
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
I really think they will give in because they want to win so bad this season for The Boss. I think a guy like Montero will be dealt even if they don't get his full value. Besides whoever they get will prolly resign with them anyway. Altough i don't see Downs as a Yankee guy. I think he would choke under the pressure.

Bjaxn45
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I really think they will give in because they want to win so bad this season for The Boss. I think a guy like Montero will be dealt even if they don't get his full value. Besides whoever they get will prolly resign with them anyway. Altough i don't see Downs as a Yankee guy. I think he would choke under the pressure.

Really, I don't see Downs as a choker. Especially since we see a real choke artist in Frasor when he comes out anywhere past the 8th.

BlueJayCarter
07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Downs pitches well in Toronto. If he goes to Boston or New York and they give up Top A+ prospects for him I think he will face enormous and unwarranted pressure to perform.

B2theRY
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM
The Jays will be more than Content taking 2 picks for Downs if they dont get what they want.

I trust AA to do the right thing.

Personally if they cant move buck for something really good id talk to him about a 2 year deal with a little bit of a raise and he can platoon with JPA next season. Which i think would be the smartest thing for the Jays to do.

I believe teams would take Molina in a trade hes won before hes a "defensive catcher"
Trade him back to NYY with Downs ;)

blujaysrock
07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
The Jays will be more than Content taking 2 picks for Downs if they dont get what they want.

I trust AA to do the right thing.

Personally if they cant move buck for something really good id talk to him about a 2 year deal with a little bit of a raise and he can platoon with JPA next season. Which i think would be the smartest thing for the Jays to do.

I believe teams would take Molina in a trade hes won before hes a "defensive catcher"
Trade him back to NYY with Downs ;)

Yeah, I agree. Those 2 high draft picks are quite appealing if we can't get at least a good spec. There's not point in trading him, just to trade him.

I agree with the Buck thing as well, and that would potentially fit d'Arnaud's time line pretty good. When Buck expires in 2 years, d'Arnaud should be ready by then.

fatkev78
07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
#jays asked #mets for top OF prospect kirk nieuwenhuis plus another for scott downs. mets saying no on nieuwenhuis

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/statuses/19840326335

blujaysrock
07-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Nieuwenhuis isn't even one of their top 10 specs is he? He would be a good pick up though, and that's about what the price should be imo.

GNick
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I'd rather keep the picks than add another bullpen arm. Or get Romo from the Giants instead. I remember when we played them this year he has closer stuff

B2theRY
07-29-2010, 02:43 PM
I think the jays need to find a closer and a real young guy who can step in and be pretty solid.

Until the Jays move Vernon , I guess I have to be happy with Lewis, Vernon and Snider as the OF.

I like Lewis.

I feel the Jays wont do much... Overbay may be dealt for some Double A prospect if that.

wamco
07-29-2010, 03:44 PM
overbay's ops at least continues to go up month after month as opposed to lind and hill

bartron_44
07-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Overbay has started to cool back off again. I think we should see him moved in August after clearing waivers, and Wallace will get a chance to get his feet wet in the majors for a month or so. Wallace is heating back up again, and has like 7 multi hit games in his last 10 with 3 HR's.

We could even shut down Lewis and bring up Mastroianni or Lubanski to play some LF. Both are having great seasons in the minors. Lubanski has 14 HR's and 21 2B's in 75 games, with an OPS over .950 (almost 100 points higher then Wallace)!!

Heck, if we are out of it in Sept, I wouldn't even mind seeing the following for a month:

CF- Mastroianni
SS- Escobar
RF- Bautista
DH- Wells
1B- Wallace
C- JPA
LF- Lubanksi
2B- Emaus
3B- Hill

:)

KadoCH
07-29-2010, 04:16 PM