PDA

View Full Version : The Houston Rockets...

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:26 PM
... imo are one of the best teams in the west.many people don't have them making the playoffs.how is this when the jazz, and suns lost Key players? The thunder take lakers to six now they've become a top two team?i think one thing is certain...the lakers are defending champions.other than that,2-8 we have no idea about.

They went 42-40 last year w/o yao.if he comes back half as good (10ppg,5rpg) the rockets are in the playoffs.this is the same team (minus artest) if not better than the team that took the lakers to 7 two years ago.the rockets are being discounted once again, and will PROVE they belong in the playoffs.

Mavrix
07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
:facepalm:

Gators123
07-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Okay

Melo15
07-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Houston will definately contend for the playoffs. They are a team with a lot of upside but has to prove themselves throughout the year, seems like they aren't underrated to me. Everyone knows that they have talent and potential but they have to stay healthy for a full season to reach their potential.

tdunk21
07-27-2010, 08:32 PM
:laugh:

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:34 PM

And you put a face palm why? I'm simply trying to see what other peoples opinions are regarding the houston rockets.leave it to someone being a mavericks fan to do something like this.

romaldinho
07-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I like Aaron Brooks he has tremendous upside and along with Ariza,Scola,Yao and Martin they will make the playoffs.
That team will put it up against any them.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Houston will definately contend for the playoffs. They are a team with a lot of upside but has to prove themselves throughout the year, seems like they aren't underrated to me. Everyone knows that they have talent and potential but they have to stay healthy for a full season to reach their potential.

That's a fair statement.im trying to hear what people think of them because apparently I didn't make that clear to get a face palm.

lakers4sho
07-27-2010, 08:37 PM
:hide:

Htownballa1622
:laugh:

Humor me please.

tredigs

haha - Not sure you're one to be facepalming overzealous homer predictions...?

Rockets could be very good (Lakers, Thunder and Mavs will all still be better regardless) but it's almost entirely based off of how Yao comes back; "half as good at 10/5" won't cut it, you need him to be a force, which is looking like a stretch at this point with this newfound retirement talk.

pebloemer
07-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Brooks, Martin, Battier, Ariza, Scola (did he resign?), Yao, Brad Miller with young players like Budinger, Hill, Patterson and a good coach in Adelman. I like them as a playoff team in the wild west. Not sure how high I'd rank them, but I see them in the picture.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Rockets could be very good (Lakers, Thunder and Mavs will all still be better regardless) but it's almost entirely based off of how Yao comes back; "half as good at 10/5" won't cut it, you need him to be a force, which is looking like a stretch at this point with this newfound retirement talk.

Oh I agree he needs to be a force to contend.i meant with 10/5 they'd make playoffs even if in the 8th.

championships
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
... imo are one of the best teams in the west.many people don't have them making the playoffs.how is this when the jazz, and suns lost Key players? The thunder take lakers to six now they've become a top two team?i think one thing is certain...the lakers are defending champions.other than that,2-8 we have no idea about.

They went 42-40 last year w/o yao.if he comes back half as good (10ppg,5rpg) the rockets are in the playoffs.this is the same team (minus artest) if not better than the team that took the lakers to 7 two years ago.the rockets are being discounted once again, and will PROVE they belong in the playoffs.

Ofcourse that's your opinion.. You can almost come to vegas and bet Yao goes down, with him thinking he is going to retire, tells me he has no confidence in that foot and it still hasn't healed properly

Slimsim
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Jordan Hill the next Tim Duncan

Mavrix
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Apparently I just did?

tdunk21
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM

tell me u r being sarcastic.....

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Brooks, Martin, Battier, Ariza, Scola (did he resign?), Yao, Brad Miller with young players like Budinger, Hill, Patterson and a good coach in Adelman. I like them as a playoff team in the wild west. Not sure how high I'd rank them, but I see them in the picture.

Yes 5 year 47 mill

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Ofcourse that's your opinion.. You can almost come to vegas and bet Yao goes down, with him thinking he is going to retire, tells me he has no confidence in that foot and it still hasn't healed properly

Good point.yao is on schedule though.i think this was just him venting to chinese reporters at they're questions and espn running with the story

And las vegas is the place where they have the heat winning it all over the lakers when clearly they've fine nothing at all YET.THE LAKERS are still back to back defending champions.

iggypop123
07-27-2010, 08:48 PM

at that level yao would just retire

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM

They're still bitter about losing to the spurs and dirk almost leaving.

BKNets21
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
They've got a very talented team and could surprise a few people next season.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:51 PM
at that level yao would just retire

So do you think shaq should retire? His numbers are better than that but looks like nobody wants to give him his asking price.

championships
07-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Good point.yao is on schedule though.i think this was just him venting to chinese reporters at they're questions and espn running with the story

And las vegas is the place where they have the heat winning it all over the lakers when clearly they've fine nothing at all YET.THE LAKERS are still back to back defending champions.
This is exactly why i'm going to win big money....:D

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
[/B]
This is exactly why i'm going to win big money....:D

Lol haha. Well played

FOBolous
07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
for the past 6 years...the Rockets have consistently been one of the top 5 teams in the West and that's with either Tmac or Yao being injured.

last year was the ONLY year of the past 6 year that the Rockets haven't been top 5 in the west and that's because the Rockets played without BOTH stars. and even without ANY star, the Rockets still managed a winning record in the tough Western Conference and contended for the last playoffs spot.

in addition to all that, the core of this team is the same core of players that won 22 games in a row and this is also the same group of players that took the Lakers to 7 games in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

so knowing what this team has accomplished, how can ANYONE look me straight in the eyes and tell me the Rockets won't be a top team in the Western Conference with a healthy Yao?

championships
07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
for the past 6 years...the Rockets have consistently been one of the top 5 teams in the West and that's with either Tmac or Yao being injured.

last year was the ONLY year of the past 6 year that the Rockets haven't been top 5 in the west and that's because the Rockets played without BOTH stars. and even without ANY star, the Rockets still managed a winning record in the tough Western Conference and contended for the last playoffs spot.

in addition to all that, the core of this team is the same core of players that won 22 games in a row and this is also the same group of players that took the Lakers to 7 games in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

so knowing what this team has accomplished, how can ANYONE look me straight in the eyes and tell me the Rockets won't be a top team in the Western Conference with a healthy Yao?
Cause your on a computer:shrug: Just saying

brandt
07-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Exactly. Most of those guys you mentioned are very good players. Most people won't realize that until next year though. By the way, you left out a very important player. Lowry.

Slimsim
07-27-2010, 08:59 PM
tell me u r being sarcastic.....

:D you got me

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 09:01 PM

You make VERY good points.I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks logically when hearing predicted standings and the rockets not even being in the
Picture.

brandt
07-27-2010, 09:02 PM
[/B]
Cause your on a computer:shrug: Just saying

lol.

Iceman05
07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Im pretty sure the Jazz replaced the key players they lost

TMAC94
if yao comes back and puts up numbers like 15 and 8 i can see us getting homecourt advantage in the first round i see us going deep into the playoffs, with a full healthy team i think we can give the lakers a run fo their money, but i guess the whole rockets season depends on yao ming. sounds wierd not saying tracy mcgrady anymore..

tredigs

What makes you think Yao will be healthy? This is a good team, but without a healthy Yao they're not a great team. It's not exactly a small question mark to be relying on as your franchise player.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Im pretty sure the Jazz replaced the key players they lost

big al? And raja?.they lost korver. Idk how thats a replacement.not to mention wesley mathews.boozer and al cancel each other.oh and rodney brewer?

TMAC94
07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
big al? And raja?.they lost korver. Idk how thats a replacement.not to mention wesley mathews.boozer and al cancel each other.oh and rodney brewer?

al jefferson is a BEAST.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
al jefferson is a BEAST.

True...so do you think that makes the jazz more likely to finish better than houston?

TEXASTITAN
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM

You people in Dallas act like the Cowboys and Mavericks are the only teams in texas that matter....Yet another reason why i hate Dallas and the stuck up people that live there.......Houston will be among the best teams this year and they will challenge the Lakers for the western conference crown....They pushed LA when they were using bench players and a deeper healthy team is going to do the same again this year. And lets not forget we have more assets than anyone to sign and trade for whoever or whatever we need at the deadline to make sure we have what we need for the playoffs...Do your homework people Houston is for real..

TEXASTITAN
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM
What makes you think Yao will be healthy? This is a good team, but without a healthy Yao they're not a great team. It's not exactly a small question mark to be relying on as your franchise player.

Yao or no Yao it really doesn't matter when you have the assets to trade for carmello or paul or granger at the drop of a hat. If Yao comes up lame there will be a quick trade to find another scorer with brad miller at center. Either way this team isn't going away not this year there's too many assets in play for this team to tank.

AWC713
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM
one thing that should also be noted is how well they play AS A TEAM.

the rockets hustle their tails off. even without yao and tmac, even with nothing to play for. they play their hearts out, and they do it every night.

this is a resilient group of players, and they mesh very well together. they've got great chemistry, and the roster as a whole is VERY deep.

the rockets may not be a top 5 team in the league, but they have one of the top 5 rosters FROM TOP TO BOTTOM

pg- brooks/lowry
sg- martin/budinger(will surprise a lot of people)
sf- battier/ariza
pf-scola/hill/patterson
c-yao/miller/hayes

that's a very deep roster, with little talent drop off.

the rockets may not contend for the title, but it's not out of the question that they do.

20GoodTimes20
07-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Does anyone realize Yao may be playing the 'game', as well, with the media. He may not want to say he's feeling great so that if he underperforms(10pts5rb), the world will cut him slack. If he comes out 18-9..people all saying wow, Yaos playing better then we thought. But who really knows..

Bottom line: healthy/productive Yao - 2-5 seed, nightmare matchup for anyone in the playoffs. Unhealthy/less productive Yao - 6seed-out of playoffs.

TEXASTITAN
07-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Yao has been doing drills and moving very very well here in Houston so i mentioned that earlier that mabye him offering to quit if things didn't work out was a way for him to #1 put pressure on the Chinese national team and #2 lower the expectations when he does return. But all signs that they have shown on the media here in Houston point to him having a very strong year but im not worried either way. Like i said whatever we don't have by the trade deadline were going to go get.

dre1990
07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
IMO anyone can make the playoffs int the west besides the wolves

iggypop123
07-27-2010, 10:00 PM
they are deep but have all their chips on one player: yao.

Iceman05
07-27-2010, 10:33 PM

RONNIE Brewer was traded in the middle of the season last year. Al is essentailly a younger version of Booz, but will probably play C, which give Milsap (a potential 15/10 guy) more mins. Korver only avg 5 shots a game, so his loss wont be significant. And a healthy Kirilenko should make this the 2nd best team in the west.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Playoffs for sure!

Sports Illustrator
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
They are a very defensive minded team and as we all know, defense wins games for sure. I also feel that the coach did a very good job in preaching defense, so a lot of credit should go to him as well.
However, I am going to go on record in saying that the Rockets looked better when they had Carl Landry on the team versus having Martin, Jeffries and Hill (even though on paper, the trade didn't make that big of a difference).

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 10:53 PM
RONNIE Brewer was traded in the middle of the season last year. Al is essentailly a younger version of Booz, but will probably play C, which give Milsap (a potential 15/10 guy) more mins. Korver only avg 5 shots a game, so his loss wont be significant. And a healthy Kirilenko should make this the 2nd best team in the west.

Yeah welcome to my swype keyboard on my phone.but yeah.he was big for y'all.milsap is a beast. Korver was more important than five shots when he spread the floor and the chances of kirikenko and okur healthy at the same time rarely happens.not to mention kirelinko is emo half the season and in sloans dog house the rest of the time. 2nd is hoping nothing goes wrong which could be said if nothing went wrong for houston dallas, denver, and okc.so second seed is just as much realistic for jazz as the rockets.

NYYCowboys
07-27-2010, 10:59 PM

Jordan Hill= the next Mikki Moore

ChiSox219
07-27-2010, 11:01 PM

This

mynameismo
07-27-2010, 11:01 PM
They have underrated players. Great GM and a 7'6 guy who is great when healthy.
They'll surprise many teams this season.

DerekRE_3
07-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Same old story with Houston. Lots of talent, lots of question marks because of injury concerns.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 11:06 PM

If I were a knicks fan I'd hope for that too since we took a number 8 pick from y'all for tmac.hair yes but skill.not close.you forget. Jordan hill can actually put the ball in the basket occasionally.

NYYCowboys
07-27-2010, 11:22 PM
If I were a knicks fan I'd hope for that too since we took a number 8 pick from y'all for tmac.hair yes but skill.not close.you forget. Jordan hill can actually put the ball in the basket occasionally.

Guy woulda been picked in the the 20s in this years draft. I saw him play extensively in the summer league and with the Knicks for the first part of the season, and he is so raw, and he's got such a passive personality that I don't think he will ever reach his potential. Every time he got on the floor he looked completely lost, and would just stand on the outside and brick jumpers, and although everyone said he was a good defensive player in college he had a hard time guarding anyone in the pros. The only part I'm mad about in that trade is giving up the pick in 2012 and the swap in 2011 although I wouldn't be surprised if the swap didn't matter (not because the Knicks are better but because the Knicks could make the playoffs in the East and the Rockets might not in the tougher west).

SpectrumDweller
07-27-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm really glad someone made this thread because I was thinking about the Houston Rockets earlier today. I think they have the potential to be a top 4 team in the west. When healthy, they have as much depth as any other team and they have smart players and a smart coach. The one thing they've lacked in years past when Yao got hurt was a legitimate center that could come in and play starter minutes. Mutombo was a glorified coat rack by the time he retired. Brad Miller is a player who could easily play 30 productive minutes a night. They also added Patrick Patterson in the draft who is a well coached, four year college player and have Jordan Hill for the full season. They have solid defensive players in Ariza, Lowry, and Battier as well as plenty of scoring from Brooks and Martin.

Yao/Miller/Hayes
Scola/Hill/Patterson
Ariza/Battier
Martin/Buddinger
Brooks/Lowry

That depth is hard to beat on most teams in the west. If they can stay healthy, they could be a dangerous team.

D-Amazins
07-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Yes but so does every other team Minus the Heat.

20GoodTimes20
07-27-2010, 11:40 PM

You dont know what youre talking about my man. This just isn't true. They are a loaded team who won 42 last year without Yao. With the experience, continued improvements and addition of miller...they could and should win atleast 45 games...and that's without Yao.

smuffins353
07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Rockets are gonna be sick next year.......look out

20GoodTimes20
07-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Sorry man, I somewhat misread your post. Didn't mean to go into attack mode

20GoodTimes20
07-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Rockets are gonna be sick next year.......look out

No doubt

Duncan = Donkey
07-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Yer their a good team, they should make the playoffs.

Aaron Brooks is overrated though.

Crzycjunx76
07-28-2010, 12:08 AM

Tells me he is finally getting tired of the Chinese national team pressuring him to continue playing in all of their international tournaments and he is trying to get them off his back.

Jordan Hill = mid season trade fodder

Depth helps a team tremendously but what could really help this team is the abundance of trade chips(both expiring contracts, draft picks, and talented youth) available to them to make a move in season.

If Yao is healthy before the deadline I would not be surprised to see the Rockets at the biggest buyer on the market. If Yao goes down there is a lot of talent and useful trade chips to begin the rebuilding process with.

OH and as for "power rankings" and pre-season predictions... WHO REALLY CARES?!? None of it matters, none of it makes a difference. It is not like this is a college sport where we use polls to determine who gets to play for the championship, this is the pros... you win, you get a shot at the title, you lose you dont. A bunch of "experts" making (poorly) educated guesses has no bearing on what happens, and people concerned about respect need to realize that the respect of strangers does not add or subtract value to what it is you accomplish (or fail to accomplish). Besides I am sure there are other professions that get the same slack but if someone claiming to be an "expert" in their field was wrong as much as the talking heads on ESPN and the other sports media outlets they would stop being considered "experts" really quickly.

siralex
07-28-2010, 12:12 AM

what?

okay, just to clear things up a bit.

1. the rockets were 42-40, which would have gotten them the 8th seed in the worthless east last year (the power may be shifting this year, that remains to be seen,im going on things that happened and not things that might). this without any star, any high profile player, and basketball played the way the game was meant to be played - selfless, team-oriented ball.

2. the mavericks and the cavs should win championships before any of their fans come on here and rofl or facepalm the rockets chances at a playoff berth. both organizations are, thus far, at best, historical afterthoughts in the nba, and at worst, two of the most rediculed and disrespected teams in league history.

3. the championship lives in los angeles. again, im not going to speak about hypotheticals, because the proof is in the pudding, and that lakers team is still the team to beat, not only in the west, but in the entire league. can the rockets take them to the limit? who knows? they certainly need yao back healthy to have any kind of a chance, though.

4. i can assure you that other nba teams do not underestimate the rockets the way some of you proported nba fans do. i only wish they did, though.

MrfadeawayJB
07-28-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure how they will do, but they are in the playoff discussion. Houston has transitioned from a defensive minded team to a ball club that can just fill it up. When you can score you always got a chance to win.

IversonIsKrazy
07-28-2010, 12:22 AM
The thing is that it ALL depends on Yao. The 8th spot for West will be fun to watch. With suns, and rockets, and also young teams like Grizzlies, Kings, Clippers, and the rest of the conference except T'Wolves, it'll be fun to see. It all depends on Yao, but on my predictions, I have them 8th seed next year.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Lol @dallas and cleveland fans...

I have rockets higher than 8th. You can't classify them with those teams last year that missed play offs.only other team I ser on the rise is memphis.clippers have talent but I just can't see it.

FOBolous
07-28-2010, 01:50 AM
The thing is that it ALL depends on Yao. The 8th spot for West will be fun to watch. With suns, and rockets, and also young teams like Grizzlies, Kings, Clippers, and the rest of the conference except T'Wolves, it'll be fun to see. It all depends on Yao, but on my predictions, I have them 8th seed next year.

The Rockets had a winning record this past season and contended for the 8th spot of the playoffs all the way till the end of the season. are you telling me the return of Yao is not going to make any difference by saying Rockets would still only contend for the 8th spot even after Yao return?

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 02:08 AM
^^^ my point exactly.thanks for clarifying

yanksknicksgmen
07-28-2010, 02:22 AM
If Yao comes back and plays like the yao before the injuries which I dont see happening, They will be a really good team. I say they finish 4-7. Lakers Thunder Mavs are all better, and Utah will be real good too

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Since when did thunder become so good? They took the lakers to six last year.the rockets tookthe lakers to seven two years ago.without yao

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Since when did thunder become so good? They took the lakers to six last year.the rockets tookthe lakers to seven two years ago.without yao

When they took the Lakers to 6 competitive games. Oh, and they have a young superstar in KD and a potential all-star in Russell Westbrook. They have a young team, poised to make noise. I'm not sure if people are stamping them as the #2 team in the West though.

Houston will be fine. The reason people aren't talking about them is because they're nothing special. They have a great chance at making it back to the playoffs, but so do many other teams that aren't receiving praise.

pebloemer
07-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Personally I think they will be better than last year even IF Yao DOESN'T come back.

Additional of Miller, Patterson, development of Hill and better chemistry after Kevin Martin has training camp and season with the squad leads to a better result in my mind.

bostncelts34
07-28-2010, 08:56 AM
1 Lakers
2.Dallas
3.Portland
4.Thunder
5 Denver
6. Utah
7. Spurs/Houston/Memphis
8. Spurs/houston/Memphis

wow..after doign this.. i feel like the west has got extremely weak, after the lakers, there are 4 teams i would take out east before the next in the west. As someone previously mentioned...2-8 is kind of a mumbo jumbo.

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 09:03 AM
1 Lakers
2.Dallas
3.Portland
4.Thunder
5 Denver
6. Utah
7. Spurs/Houston/Memphis
8. Spurs/houston/Memphis

wow..after doign this.. i feel like the west has got extremely weak, after the lakers, there are 4 teams i would take out east before the next in the west. As someone previously mentioned...2-8 is kind of a mumbo jumbo.

I think Phoenix will make the playoffs and the Clippers have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs. Houston is right in th mix as you stated though.

bostncelts34
07-28-2010, 09:10 AM
I think Phoenix will make the playoffs and the Clippers have a legitimate chance at making the playoffs. Houston is right in th mix as you stated though.

Yea you are right. i would throw clippers right in their in the mix with memphis and such.

TheWatcher34
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
nice speech where is the fanfare ????

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
When they took the Lakers to 6 competitive games. Oh, and they have a young superstar in KD and a potential all-star in Russell Westbrook. They have a young team, poised to make noise. I'm not sure if people are stamping them as the #2 team in the West though.

Houston will be fine. The reason people aren't talking about them is because they're nothing special. They have a great chance at making it back to the playoffs, but so do many other teams that aren't receiving praise.

Well a lesser version of these rockets took the lakers to seven so that makes them good as well? Yes kd is top four players in the game and r.w.is fixing that broke shot but that doesn'tput them so high up there.

The rockets are nothing special? Winning 22 games in a row or finishing with a 42-40 record in the west without their best player is nothing special?

Well in that case, what team is special since the rockets definitely aren't special with their brand of hustle and play hard team play every night?

ballpd05
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Well a lesser version of these rockets took the lakers to seven so that makes them good as well? Yes kd is top four players in the game and r.w.is fixing that broke shot but that doesn'tput them so high up there.

The rockets are nothing special? Winning 22 games in a row or finishing with a 42-40 record in the west without their best player is nothing special?

Well in that case, what team is special since the rockets definitely aren't special with their brand of hustle and play hard team play every night?

You're only special if your a title contender. Houston isn't one, but they will be solid. With Brooks, K-Mart, and Scola they have a solid team, with a healthy Yao they may be a force. Thats a big if.

Kevin Durant is good enough that he will always be one or two players away from a title contending team. That and there are some serious athletes and young players on OKC who should only get better.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
You're only special if your a title contender. Houston isn't one, but they will be solid. With Brooks, K-Mart, and Scola they have a solid team, with a healthy Yao they may be a force. Thats a big if.

Kevin Durant is good enough that he will always be one or two players away from a title contending team. That and there are some serious athletes and young players on OKC who should only get better.

So you're telling me the thunder are title contenders where as the rockets aren't?

Name me a team that has won because of one superstar?i bet you can't.

And just for fun...name ten players on the thunder off the top of your head.

uws
07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
the rockets will be in the playoffs, but not a force to beat the lakers or thunder

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Well I for one respectfully disagree with the majority of nba fans and I feel houston is ready to compete for a title especially if we upgradefor someone like a danny granger before the deadline.

smuffins353
07-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Thunder are trash.....KD cold though

lakers are extremely overrated....kobe is just a beast

Rockets are 1 star away from becoming a dynasty

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Are those baked muffins you're eating?

imarocketsfan
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
1. Lakers
2. Mavs
3. Nuggets
4. Thunder
5. Rockets
6. Jazz
7. Blazers
8. Spurs

ballpd05
07-28-2010, 01:38 PM
So you're telling me the thunder are title contenders where as the rockets aren't?

Name me a team that has won because of one superstar?i bet you can't.

And just for fun...name ten players on the thunder off the top of your head.

Thats what I said. Kevin Durant is good enough that the Thunder will always be just one good player away from contending.

I'm not saying they are title worthy, but the Thunder have some serious firepower in Westbrook and KD. They also have a slew of young athletes such as Sefolosha, Jeff Green, Serge Ibaka (who is my favorite out of the bunch), and James Harden.

There is reason for the excitement in OKC.

Not trying to hate on the Rockets, but nobody is talking about them because they will probably finish somewhere between 5 and 9 in the West. I think the Lakers, Utah, SA, Dallas, Portland (assuming they stay healthy) and possibly Thunder all are likely to finish higher. The Rockets are in that class with Memphis, New Orleans, and Phoenix where they are low seeded playoff teams are outside looking in.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Thats what I said. Kevin Durant is good enough that the Thunder will always be just one good player away from contending.

I'm not saying they are title worthy, but the Thunder have some serious firepower in Westbrook and KD. They also have a slew of young athletes such as Sefolosha, Jeff Green, Serge Ibaka (who is my favorite out of the bunch), and James Harden.

There is reason for the excitement in OKC.

Not trying to hate on the Rockets, but nobody is talking about them because they will probably finish somewhere between 5 and 9 in the West. I think the Lakers, Utah, SA, Dallas, Portland (assuming they stay healthy) and possibly Thunder all are likely to finish higher. The Rockets are in that class with Memphis, New Orleans, and Phoenix where they are low seeded playoff teams are outside looking in.

To say there's excitement in the thunder and not the rockets is ignorant.chase bud might just be more athletic than any of those players you just named.sefolosha is for defensive purposes.jeff green is a stud.harden can be good.ibaka is very much raw talent very well to becoming really nice

I can argue you all day how the rockets can be excited about alot of things.heck..even the wolves have things to be excited over.

And the teams capable of finishing better than the rockets I don't argue with.but I do argue that in a seven game series the rockets could beat any one of those teams and if healthy can give the lakers a run for their money.the lakers are too long for the thunder.
like I said...i won't argue with you but the rockets have very much to be excited for and its nba Fans like you that get shocked when the rockets fly under the radar and beat teams you just mentioned or take the lakers to seven games.

jrodmesche
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
lol not with soft big men like scola and yao starting for yall lmao u guys are gonna gt thrown around like ragdolls in the middle

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Dude I really think you're looking at this as a Rockets fanatic moreso than from a total NBA perspective.

That lesser version took them to Game 7 in 2009. And the 22 game win streak happened in 2008. You're bringing up thing from 2-3 seasons ago. As of 2010, they're nothing special. They will be more than likely in the playoffs. What more do you want us to say about them?

IDB Josh M
07-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Can I buy some pot from you?

smuffins353
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
lol not with soft big men like scola and yao starting for yall lmao u guys are gonna gt thrown around like ragdolls in the middle

the heat are the last ones that need to talk about soft big men....

Z & Bosh????????

LMAO

smuffins353
07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Are those baked muffins you're eating?

naw they are special you can only get them in the H

dude admit it when Kobe was out last year the Lakers were average at best. He makes that team, without him they are fighting for the 6th-8th seed.

smuffins353
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Can I buy some pot from you?

no i got something better it's called reality son

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Dude I really think you're looking at this as a Rockets fanatic moreso than from a total NBA perspective.

That lesser version took them to Game 7 in 2009. And the 22 game win streak happened in 2008. You're bringing up thing from 2-3 seasons ago. As of 2010, they're nothing special. They will be more than likely in the playoffs. What more do you want us to say about them?

I don't wasn't you to say anything but you're saying as of 2010 like its happened already or like you see the future.and I promise you I'm more of an nba fan than you think.people have then not making the playoffs and everyone just discounts them until their team gets handled by them.we'll see what happens.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Z & Bosh????????

LMAO

Haha.you beat me to it. +1

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM

dude admit it when Kobe was out last year the Lakers were average at best. He makes that team, without him they are fighting for the 6th-8th seed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are trying to say that with Yao back at 30 years old and a bad foot, Houston goes from not in the playoffs to championship contenders? I'm not a Kobe fan, but I can't see how he is involved with this. :confused:

smuffins353
07-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are trying to say that with Yao back at 30 years old and a bad foot, Houston goes from not in the playoffs to championship contenders? I'm not a Kobe fan, but I can't see how he is involved with this. :confused:

that's exactly what I'm saying.

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't wasn't you to say anything but you're saying as of 2010 like its happened already or like you see the future.and I promise you I'm more of an nba fan than you think.people have then not making the playoffs and everyone just discounts them until their team gets handled by them.we'll see what happens.

The 2010 season has happened. Rockets weren't in the Playoffs. I like rick Abdelman. He's a great coach. If it weren't for Phil Jackson, he would have 2-3 rings. At best, Yao comes back, but i doubt he will be the same Yao; the injury is pretty bad. People have them contending for a playoff spot in the West, which is fair. As of July 28, 2010, do you think they're title contenders?

Da Knicks
07-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Z & Bosh????????

LMAO

Damn you beat me to it and Scola is not soft.

1. Lakers (Too much size in the middle) :(
2. Mavs (need a better sg to really compete) ;)
3. Spurs (splitter will make a big difference):clap:
4. Thunder (Durant is the real deal) :)
5. Nuggets (Melo nuff said) come to ny:mad:
6. Blazers (Roy will lead this team) :D
7. Suns (Nash and Hill are still balling) :p
8. Grizzlies (Gay has to produce now with the contract) :confused:

JPHX
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Still alot of power in the west. I just dont see the rockets taking one of those eight spots.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
The 2010 season has happened. Rockets weren't in the Playoffs. I like rick Abdelman. He's a great coach. If it weren't for Phil Jackson, he would have 2-3 rings. At best, Yao comes back, but i doubt he will be the same Yao; the injury is pretty bad. People have them contending for a playoff spot in the West, which is fair. As of July 28, 2010, do you think they're title contenders?

Let me make myself more clear.the 2010-2011 hasn't happened.so yes I feel they can contend.you don't have to agree.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Still alot of power in the west. I just dont see the rockets taking one of those eight spots.

And then you'll be proved wrong.especially if you think suns finish before rockets.

Ware_Spencer
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Brooks: Great player but not a great Point guard. He needs to become a pass first point guard. And take better shots. That would improve the Rockets dramatically. But it probably won't ever happen. Shoots a low percentage.

Martin: Great scorer. Needs to take better shots but he is great at getting to the free throw line. Shoots a low percentage

Ariza: Will shoot a better percentage next year because he wont' be the go to guy now. He will be the role player which he is best at. Still will shoot in the low 40's.

Scola : Great PF. He is still a Role player (very good one). But he is never dominant down low. But you can't complain about what he brings.

Yao/Miller: Yao is so questionable right now. And Miller has no low post game. And he isn't somebody known for protecting the paint.

I think the Rockets will make the playoffs for sure actually. But the they won't be above the 4 or 5 spot. Unless somehow Yao comes back to 20 and 10 and 2 blocks. But that is very unlikely.

The Rockets really don't have a playmaker on the team. The whole team is all shoot first. That creates a problem. They also have 3 guys on the floor that barely shoot over 40 percent. You can't contend or even be a legit playoff team when that happens.

They are 6-8 spot in the playoffs. But if Yao can't comeback healthy than they won't make the playoffs.

By the way the Jazz are better than they were last year. Worse case is they are the same. You do have a good point about the Suns. But you have to also realize the Hornets will be better next year just because Paul will be healthy. And the Warriors will surprise some people. Curry & Lee will be great at the Pick and Roll if they use it. And Dorrell Wright could be a candidate for Most improved. Good defender and underrated outside shooter.
They also will have there Center back and healthy to play next to Lee.

JPHX
07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
And then you'll be proved wrong.especially if you think suns finish before rockets.

Dude thats just my opinion. Suns get counted out every year. But at least we have the wins to back it up. The rockets hopes are pinned on a healthy Yao, and according to whats being said, after a year off hes still not healthy. Its not like i said the rockets sucked, they're a good team. I just said their maybe too much competition for them to grab a playoff spot. Oh and BTW, we swept you guys last year. :)

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Dude thats just my opinion. Suns get counted out every year. But at least we have the wins to back it up. The rockets hopes are pinned on a healthy Yao, and according to whats being said, after a year off hes still not healthy. Its not like i said the rockets sucked, they're a good team. I just said their maybe too much competition for them to grab a playoff spot. Oh and BTW, we swept you guys last year. :)

Very good points.and steve nash and lebron are the only mvps w/o a ring.wait.have y'all won any? Didn't think so.

Y'all also just lost amare and amundson.see who gets,swept this year :)

Klivlend
07-28-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm with you. I think people should be talking about the Rockets more. I think they make the playoffs for sure. If Yao is healthy they could do some serious damage. That is a huge IF, though. I hope he cane make it through June

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Very good points.and steve nash and lebron are the only mvps w/o a ring.wait.have y'all won any? Didn't think so.

Dirk, Allen Iverson, Karl Malone, and many other MVPs don't have rings. Also, the Suns lost Amare, but they have made moves to keep them in right in playoff contention...Hedo, Childress, and Warrick will play well with Nash. Robin Lopez is getting healthier too.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm with you. I think people should be talking about the Rockets more. I think they make the playoffs for sure. If Yao is healthy they could do some serious damage. That is a huge IF, though. I hope he cane make it through June

That's all I'm saying.and it is a HUGE IF. I'm so glad some people see whatI'm saying.

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM

There were times where they played well without Kobe. Are they going to win a title without him, no but take out the franchise player from any squad and they wont win the title.

And the Thunder are definitely NOT garbage!!!

smuffins353
07-28-2010, 03:19 PM
There were times where they played well without Kobe. Are they going to win a title without him, no but take out the franchise player from any squad and they wont win the title.

And the Thunder are definitely NOT garbage!!!

being a lakers fan, who would you rather face in a 7 game series?

the Oklahoma City Thunder
or
the Houston Rockets (w/ a healthy Yao) ?

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM
being a lakers fan, who would you rather face in a 7 game series?

the Oklahoma City Thunder
or
the Houston Rockets (w/ a healthy Yao) ?

Next season, I'd say the Rocket's. Why, you ask. The Rocket lost some solid defensive role players and yes Yao, makes them better but the Thunder can only get better this year and I love the way they play.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Dirk, Allen Iverson, Karl Malone, and many other MVPs don't have rings. Also, the Suns lost Amare, but they have made moves to keep them in right in playoff contention...Hedo, Childress, and Warrick will play well with Nash. Robin Lopez is getting healthier too.

My fault.i meant active players.so I guess dirk and a.i.too.since someone is looking to direct me at ever thing I say.ok...

Nash is the ONLY MVP to never play in the finals.

JPHX
07-28-2010, 03:23 PM

What does that have to do with anything? Your making a reference to a rockets team of more than 10 years ago? The argument is of the current rockets team and they have done squat. at least the suns HAVE an MVP and have been able to translate that into playoff wins. Plus with the addition of Turkoglu, Warrick, and Childress to already one of the deepest squads in the league that just made the WCF and your saying the rockets are gonna sweep the suns? :eyebrow: Come on man be realistic.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Next season, I'd say the Rocket's. Why, you ask. The Rocket lost some solid defensive role players and yes Yao, makes them better but the Thunder can only get better this year and I love the way they play.

Who'd we lose?

ntat
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
And you put a face palm why? I'm simply trying to see what other peoples opinions are regarding the houston rockets.leave it to someone being a mavericks fan to do something like this.

no ur not, u started a thread thats the 3rd one in a week so u could make a statement about them. cuz u wanted to keep talking about them.

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Who'd we lose?

Well first you've lost your mind and the Rockets lost Carl Landry, a very solid defensive player.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
What does that have to do with anything? Your making a reference to a rockets team of more than 10 years ago? The argument is of the current rockets team and they have done squat. at least the suns HAVE an MVP and have been able to translate that into playoff wins. Plus with the addition of Turkoglu, Warrick, and Childress to already one of the deepest squads in the league that just made the WCF and your saying the rockets are gonna sweep the suns? :eyebrow: Come on man be realistic.

I nowhere in my post said they'd sweep the suns.i said well see...y'all added some people but for y'all to say the rockets won't get in is ignorant.like I said...we'll see.

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
My fault.i meant active players.so I guess dirk and a.i.too.since someone is looking to direct me at ever thing I say.ok...

Nash is the ONLY MVP to never play in the finals.

I'm not trying to direct you bro. I respect that you have your opinion, and that you support your Rockets faithfully.

I just think your points don't translate into why others should think the Rockets are title contenders in the West today, which I'm guessing is the point of this thread. Right?

astrosmaniac
07-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Brooks: Great player but not a great Point guard. He needs to become a pass first point guard. And take better shots. That would improve the Rockets dramatically. But it probably won't ever happen. Shoots a low percentage.

Martin: Great scorer. Needs to take better shots but he is great at getting to the free throw line. Shoots a low percentage

Ariza: Will shoot a better percentage next year because he wont' be the go to guy now. He will be the role player which he is best at. Still will shoot in the low 40's.

Scola : Great PF. He is still a Role player (very good one). But he is never dominant down low. But you can't complain about what he brings.

Yao/Miller: Yao is so questionable right now. And Miller has no low post game. And he isn't somebody known for protecting the paint.

I think the Rockets will make the playoffs for sure actually. But the they won't be above the 4 or 5 spot. Unless somehow Yao comes back to 20 and 10 and 2 blocks. But that is very unlikely.

The Rockets really don't have a playmaker on the team. The whole team is all shoot first. That creates a problem. They also have 3 guys on the floor that barely shoot over 40 percent. You can't contend or even be a legit playoff team when that happens.

They are 6-8 spot in the playoffs. But if Yao can't comeback healthy than they won't make the playoffs.

By the way the Jazz are better than they were last year. Worse case is they are the same. You do have a good point about the Suns. But you have to also realize the Hornets will be better next year just because Paul will be healthy. And the Warriors will surprise some people. Curry & Lee will be great at the Pick and Roll if they use it. And Dorrell Wright could be a candidate for Most improved. Good defender and underrated outside shooter.
They also will have there Center back and healthy to play next to Lee.

see thats where i feel people are wrong. the jazz have always had a great pick and roll duo. ALWAYS. its the staple of a sloan team. jefferson can't run one effectively. they'll have to change their entire offensive gameplan to account for jefferson's skill set. that will certainly take time to adjust too, which could lead to falling in a hole in the standings early on

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
no ur not, u started a thread thats the 3rd one in a week so u could make a statement about them. cuz u wanted to keep talking about them.

If you say so...stalker

JPHX
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
I nowhere in my post said they'd sweep the suns.i said well see...y'all added some people but for y'all to say the rockets won't get in is ignorant.like I said...we'll see.

How is that ignorant? The rockets were 42-40. Eight wins out of the final 8th spot. And what have they done to improve? Brad Miller?

smuffins353
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Well first you've lost your mind and the Rockets lost Carl Landry, a very solid defensive player.

your trippin, Landry is not defensive player first off. We still have Battier & Ariza who are two of the top defensive players in the league fyi. Yao coming back makes us one of the top defensive teams again.

All this talk is gay, I can't wait til' the season starts so the Rockets can silence all the naysayers.

astrosmaniac
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM

landry on defense was ok. he wasnt anything special. he was very similar in his first year or two to what hill was last year defensively. i think with a full offseason with jack sickma and our other bigs coaches, i think hill's defense will be greatly improved this year. theres also the fact that a 7'6" guy will help on defense in the post, even if its just taking up space and altering shots

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm not trying to direct you bro. I respect that you have your opinion, and that you support your Rockets faithfully.

I just think your points don't translate into why others should think the Rockets are title contenders in the West today, which I'm guessing is the point of this thread. Right?

The point was to see other peoples opinions.i respect your opinions.i just disagree.nothing personal.i choose to talk about then because I don't feel theyre addressed.no ha and everythings all good

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
your trippin, Landry is not defensive player first off. We still have Battier & Ariza who are two of the top defensive players in the league fyi. Yao coming back makes us one of the top defensive teams again.

All this talk is gay, I can't wait til' the season starts so the Rockets can silence all the naysayers.

Houston's got a very good team but so does most of the west. Sacramento is going to be nothing to sneeze at this year. But, none of this matter's in the playoff's. Other than Boston OKC played us the best in their first year in the playoff's.

TEXASTITAN
07-28-2010, 03:40 PM

It's the same surgery big Z had a few years back and he's been fine since. Reserve your judgement for gametime like i said lets take your comment and lets say yao falls on his face fine. Should that happen were just going to go out and trade for the scoring we lost in the form of carmello,paul,granger thats the X factor with this team. We have what it takes in the form of picks and players to get just about any deal done we have to do so whatever were lacking by the trade deadline were going to get. This team is 100% in it to win it this year the owner is about 10 mill over the luxury tax and doesn't mind paying it we have the bet GM in the league and this is the year Houston shows everyone what this team is about. They have experience with the Lakers in the playoffs and won't be shorthanded when they face them this time their year is now you mention Yao being over 30 well Kobe's knees aren't getting any better and he's over 30 so LA is going to fall sooner or later and everyone who is a basketball fan knows a 3 peat is the toughest to get and they are more likely to fall in the playoffs this year.

TEXASTITAN
07-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Houston's got a very good team but so does most of the west. Sacramento is going to be nothing to sneeze at this year. But, none of this matter's in the playoff's. Other than Boston OKC played us the best in their first year in the playoff's.

The west was good last year and this team still won 42 games without Yao or Tmac so with Yao back in the lineup you can't deny they won't win over 42games. They should be at the 55 win mark with Yao back and playing with Kmart for a whole year which should put them at the 1 through 3 seed in the west.

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
It's the same surgery big Z had a few years back and he's been fine since. Reserve your judgement for gametime like i said lets take your comment and lets say yao falls on his face fine. Should that happen were just going to go out and trade for the scoring we lost in the form of carmello,paul,granger thats the X factor with this team. We have what it takes in the form of picks and players to get just about any deal done we have to do so whatever were lacking by the trade deadline were going to get. This team is 100% in it to win it this year the owner is about 10 mill over the luxury tax and doesn't mind paying it we have the bet GM in the league and this is the year Houston shows everyone what this team is about. They have experience with the Lakers in the playoffs and won't be shorthanded when they face them this time their year is now you mention Yao being over 30 well Kobe's knees aren't getting any better and he's over 30 so LA is going to fall sooner or later and everyone who is a basketball fan knows a 3 peat is the toughest to get and they are more likely to fall in the playoffs this year.

Yea, but he ain't dead yet therefore I like our chances. However, I will say this: This year is going to be the toughest year in the last ten years to get to the finals.

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Big Z has been fine? No offense, but have you seen how immobile he is? LeBron has added like 3 extra years to his career.

I really can't speak on the whole trade thing you brought up. Never thought of them trading for Melo or CP3. I'm not sold that Granger would make them a title contender.

With their current rosterm I see them as a playoff team, nothing more than that in my opinion though.

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
The west was good last year and this team still won 42 games without Yao or Tmac so with Yao back in the lineup you can't deny they won't win over 42games. They should be at the 55 win mark with Yao back and playing with Kmart for a whole year which should put them at the 1 through 3 seed in the west.

I'm sorry but I just think that Yao being healthy is a big question mark much like Andrew Bynum.

I told my nephew about two years ago that the Rockets should trade Yao and TMac while they had trade value. Imagine how good they would be right now with more firepower.

You could have gotten at least one very good player for Yao. And for TMac a solid role player (Two years ago).

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
And the other rockets fans have spoken.

Frezhnitz
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
i say they can make playoffs but not win a ring.

FOBolous
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Landry has NEVER been known for his defense. He's known for his ability to score and his athleticism.

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Landry has NEVER been known for his defense. He's known for his ability to score and his athleticism.

I guess I was wrong however, I do remember him playing pretty good D against us when the series went to seven games. Also, Aaron Brooks is a flat out stud that doesn't get enough hype in the media.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Sorry I don't value your opinion of what you think about me because we have different opinions over basketball.leave it to a lakers fan to start talking some sort of noise.

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry I don't value your opinion of what you think about me because we have different opinions over basketball.leave it to a lakers fan to start talking some sort of noise.

Well, with the "lost your mind" comment I was just kidding. However, if you take it that serious that's your choice.

Htownballa1622
07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, with the lost your mind comment I was just kidding. However, if you take it that serious that's your choice.

Well my bad.i didn't know you were joking.hard to tell over computer w/o face or a j/k after it.no harm done.

USMCLaker
07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Well my bad.i didn't know you were joking.hard to tell over computer w/o face or a j/k after it.no harm done.

I never talk smack online or on Xbox Live because I'm not a coward. Any smack talk on PSD is strictly for fun.

Jewelz0376
07-29-2010, 12:54 AM
It seems like nobody is talking about the Rockets as a contender in the West... I don't know if its cuz everyone assumes Yao won't stay healthy or what, but with a healthy Yao they have a nice squad....AB was a near all star, Scola is a nice fit with Yao...they added Kmart to give them perimeter scoring...and they still have Ariza & Battier....Budinger played well last year too..

If Yao stays healthy I think this team can def finish 2nd in the west...

IDB Josh M
07-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm pretty sure there is another Rockets thread; in the rockets forum AND in the NBA forum. Please go there ...

IN BEFORE CLOSE!

xbrackattackx
07-29-2010, 01:01 AM
It wouldn't be that comfortable too.

LeWade>Kobe
07-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Yes people are sleeping on the Rockets. If Yao stays healthy they will be an excellent team top 3 in West IMO

B.JenningsMVP
07-29-2010, 01:19 AM
No, people are sleeping on their beds

Wade>You
07-29-2010, 01:20 AM
It seems like nobody is talking about the Rockets as a contender in the West... I don't know if its cuz everyone assumes Yao won't stay healthy or what, but with a healthy Yao they have a nice squad....AB was a near all star, Scola is a nice fit with Yao...they added Kmart to give them perimeter scoring...and they still have Ariza & Battier....Budinger played well last year too..

If Yao stays healthy I think this team can def finish 2nd in the west...What difference does it make who's a contender in the west? The Lakers are still going to win the west, so there's no true contenders out there.

Hellcrooner
07-29-2010, 01:24 AM
if Kevin and Yao can play 82 games ( plus some some more in may) yes people is :

But doubt it hapens

Avenged
07-29-2010, 01:26 AM
The West is full of "contenders" as is already, nobody is sleeping on them, it's just that there's contenders from about 1-9 seeds. The Rockets will certainly make the top 5 out West if they ALL can remain healthy.

JayHunter
07-29-2010, 01:26 AM
they will be a nice team to watch

FOBolous
07-29-2010, 02:09 AM
it makes no sense for people to say the Rockets only will contend for the 7th or 8th spot in the West after Yao returns cause the Rockets already did this past season without Yao

Penetra8r
07-29-2010, 02:14 AM
I think Yao will be retired before the Rockets climb into the thick of things in the West.

John Walls Era
07-29-2010, 02:18 AM
Yes I think they are. Even without Yao they should be a playoff team.

Nets fan 93
07-29-2010, 02:19 AM
No, people are sleeping on their beds
This.

Cano24
07-29-2010, 02:21 AM
there is a better chance the Nets win it all next year than Yao and Kevin Martin playing in all 82 games next year

tdunk21
07-29-2010, 02:51 AM
:bs:

stop this campaigning and talk when the team actually performs ......till then stop with this :bs:

nanablvd
07-29-2010, 02:58 AM
ROckets are definitely a sleeper depending on Yao's status.

Jewelz0376
07-29-2010, 03:06 AM
What difference does it make who's a contender in the west? The Lakers are still going to win the west, so there's no true contenders out there.

Yea people said the same about the Cavs during the regular season last year....Look obviously the favorites are the Lakers everyone1 knows that, but nothing is for sure until it happens...With a healthy Yao the Rockets can def give the Lakers a run which makes them "contenders"

HakeemTheDream
07-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Glad to see some Rockets love. I remember Rockets beating Lakers 2 games without Yao in the playoffs a couple of years ago. With Yao healthy, they can definitely contend, this is a top tier organization in many ways.

mistrghetto
07-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Definite sleepers but like everyone said...it all depends on Yao. Lets hope he can stay on his feet

Cano24
07-29-2010, 03:30 AM
if they want to be sleepers they better do better than Hakeem and Kenny did on Pros vrs Joes

LTBaByyy
07-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Were the rockets ever a top 3 team in the west with a healthy yao?

Not trying to be funny but just asking, so i dont see why a healthy yao would make this team top 3

John Walls Era
07-29-2010, 03:52 AM
if they want to be sleepers they better do better than Hakeem and Kenny did on Pros vrs Joes

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm watching it right now: Granted NBA legends were much older and in worse shape.

Not trying to be funny but just asking, so i dont see why a healthy yao would make this team top 3

Overall this would be Yao's best team. The Tmac years were great, don't get me wrong, but they were never this solid IMO.

LTBaByyy
07-29-2010, 03:54 AM
They didnt make the playoffs last year? is that team really solid w/o yao??

all they added was the dude from kentucky and brad miller

I can see if they made the playoffs with a top 5 seed last year then i would prob give props

but i havent seen anything yet so ill wait til they play instead of saying with yao they will be title contenders (top 3 in west) thats a bit too much to say right now

JiffyMix88
07-29-2010, 04:09 AM
with a healthy team they are contenders.

JiffyMix88
07-29-2010, 04:10 AM
They didnt make the playoffs last year? is that team really solid w/o yao??

all they added was the dude from kentucky and brad miller

I can see if they made the playoffs with a top 5 seed last year then i would prob give props

but i havent seen anything yet so ill wait til they play instead of saying with yao they will be title contenders (top 3 in west) thats a bit too much to say right now

yeah but they also added hill and martin at the trade deadline

Chronz
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM

No but that was due to the competition at the time, now you only really have to worry about the Lakers with everyone else declining and the up and comers still unknown at this point. Put it this way, if I could transport some of the Rocket teams of the past in todays Western Conference theyd easily finish as the #2 seed.

Increidble
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Hahaahahn THEY SUCK

king4day
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
The reason people are sleeping on them is because it's never a matter of "they'll be good if Yao is healthy". It's "They could be good if Yao is healthy, but since he's never had a fully healthy season, there's no reason to think things will change following what could have been a career ending foot injury."

But IF he were to have his first (serious) injury free season, then the Rockets are title contenders.

SouthSideRookie
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Dude thats WAY MORE REALISTIC than the Knicks finishing with "50" wins LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SouthSideRookie
07-29-2010, 12:46 PM

So you're saying the Thunders bigs are better than the Rockets??? And what solid defensive players did they lose?

SouthSideRookie
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
What does that have to do with anything? Your making a reference to a rockets team of more than 10 years ago? The argument is of the current rockets team and they have done squat. at least the suns HAVE an MVP and have been able to translate that into playoff wins. Plus with the addition of Turkoglu, Warrick, and Childress to already one of the deepest squads in the league that just made the WCF and your saying the rockets are gonna sweep the suns? :eyebrow: Come on man be realistic. Sounds just like a Jazz, Dallas fan, having an MVP in their team is good enough for them cause they've come to the reality that they are second fiddle to other greats that are winners. Man it feels good to win Rings!!!!! LOL

Htownballa1622
07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Hahaahahn THEY SUCK

See how up until now no one responded to your dumb comment.get outta here with that garbage.i could easily be like "ha ha your mom sucks"but we're here to talk basketball.way to show how dumb you are:cool:

DoJoTheSlasher
07-29-2010, 02:48 PM
New Here!!!

I am a Mavs fan and while I do think we are the 2nd best in the West and could contend this year, the Rockets with Yao are contenders as well. I think we would win in a 7 game series but I would not want to play them. HOU/DAL games are always fun to watch too.

1. Lakers
2. Mavs
3. Blazers
4. Jazz
5. Rockets (if yao is healthy, if not then they are like 8th)
6. Thunder
7. Nuggets
8. Spurs

The West is even better than last. Amare and Boozer left but so many teams got better.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
New Here!!!

I am a Mavs fan and while I do think we are the 2nd best in the West and could contend this year, the Rockets with Yao are contenders as well. I think we would win in a 7 game series but I would not want to play them. HOU/DAL games are always fun to watch too.

1. Lakers
2. Mavs
3. Blazers
4. Jazz
5. Rockets (if yao is healthy, if not then they are like 8th)
6. Thunder
7. Nuggets
8. Spurs

The West is even better than last. Amare and Boozer left but so many teams got better.

I agree with you thinking the mavs are the second seed in the west but imo they're built for regular season.in the playoffsi see them losing to teams that have inside scoring.i feel they rely on dirk to score too much.

Also I do like what they did by re signing haywood and picking up chandler and yes.dallas houston games are FUN to watch.

mets77
07-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Yao ming!!!!!!

USMCLaker
07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
So you're saying the Thunders bigs are better than the Rockets??? And what solid defensive players did they lose?

You sound like my girlfriend trying to twist around everything I say. So if you're going to sound like her then get in the kitchen and make me something to eat.

No, what I said was that the Thunder are not garbage and that other than Boston they played us the best in the post-season this year.

As far as the defensive stuff you gotta go back and read young buck that conversation has been resolved.

BlazingJ
07-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree with those rankings cept i would switch jazz and nuggets.

1. Lakers
2. Mavericks
3. Blazers
4. Nuggets
5. Rockets
6. Thunder
7. Jazz
8. Spurs

DoJoTheSlasher
07-29-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree with you thinking the mavs are the second seed in the west but imo they're built for regular season.in the playoffsi see them losing to teams that have inside scoring.i feel they rely on dirk to score too much.

Also I do like what they did by re signing haywood and picking up chandler and yes.dallas houston games are FUN to watch.

The thing that kills more than anything is lack of help. Dirk always shows up for every game except the few Finals games and GS which he was triple teamed but what player besides the Legends play perfectly? Example: The past three years Terry, Kidd, Marion, Howard, Dampier, and all of the role players were pretty much awful besides the one or two games they played well. This year I am hoping Kidd doesn't try to score alot but just run the offense. I expect Butler to have a big year (near all star) because he now has a full year and is in a contract year. I think Roddy is an absolute STUD and could be very good this year. Haywood and Chandler is the best defensive C duo in the NBA imo. My big sleeper besides Roddy of course, is the Man I am named after lol. I think Dominique Jones if Carlisle gets his head out of his ***, will be a very good asset to this team. We also added Mahinimi who is a bench warmer now but we added so much size. Also TIm Thomas is most likely coming back and he is a valubale bench player. We aren't the favorites but I could see us playing game 7 in LA in the WCF this year (most likely loss......).

If Terry gets a lesser role and just hits some shots here and there and marion devotes his full play to lockdown D, this would be perfect.

Htownballa1622
07-29-2010, 03:32 PM
The thing that kills more than anything is lack of help. Dirk always shows up for every game except the few Finals games and GS which he was triple teamed but what player besides the Legends play perfectly? Example: The past three years Terry, Kidd, Marion, Howard, Dampier, and all of the role players were pretty much awful besides the one or two games they played well. This year I am hoping Kidd doesn't try to score alot but just run the offense. I expect Butler to have a big year (near all star) because he now has a full year and is in a contract year. I think Roddy is an absolute STUD and could be very good this year. Haywood and Chandler is the best defensive C duo in the NBA imo. My big sleeper besides Roddy of course, is the Man I am named after lol. I think Dominique Jones if Carlisle gets his head out of his ***, will be a very good asset to this team. We also added Mahinimi who is a bench warmer now but we added so much size. Also TIm Thomas is most likely coming back and he is a valubale bench player. We aren't the favorites but I could see us playing game 7 in LA in the WCF this year (most likely loss......).

If Terry gets a lesser role and just hits some shots here and there and marion devotes his full play to lockdown D, this would be perfect.

I definitely agree with you on alot.i like what they've done.i like the two centers.kidd is awesome.that french guy is a stud.i think he should see the floor more than jj did.if caron plays well, dirk is dirk, marion comes back better almost like phoenix days,i do like the mavs to go deep. I wouldn't mind a classic 4-5 dallas houston series to see who plays l.a. problem is.i expect it to look like this.

1.lakers
2.mavs
3.nuggets
4.rockets
5.jazz
6.thunder
7.spurs
8. Blazers

Verbal Christ
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
wow, a rockets thread going 12 pages? that must be a first on PSD. its never boring to read the level of insight from all the professional analysts on here 'the rockets have too many injuries therefore they will suck' really going out on a limb with that one arent ya sport? ... 'mutumbo was nothing more than a glorified coat rack' that was probably the single most ridiculous and irresponsible line in the history of this site, go back and watch some games and more importantly the 22 game win streak and then go back to cbs sportsline or wherever the hell you came from ... pretty please. Aaron Brooks overrated? yeaaa i guess anyone can win the most improved player award, but just cuz he's short they gave it to him right? led the league in 3's by the way, but i guess 3 point shots are overrated too. LUIS SCOLA IS SOFT? geeeeez why do people post without watching some games?? that guy is an animal, for his lack of athleticism he produces at a great clip especially since the landry trade last year (carl was great but some people on here are making him out to be some kind of allstar - which he is not) one of you geniuses even has the grizzlies over the rockets? how funny is that. Yet another brilliant thinker wants to throw in a rib about a near 50 year old Olajuwon/Kenny on pro's vs joe's, seriously? walk to the mirror, open your eyes wide and slap the piss out of yourself, then proceed to watch tape of Dream from 1981-1999 and shut up.

on to next year. this team as assembled has some of the leagues most efficient players at their positions in kevin martin,yao ming,kyle lowry ... they get to the line,hit their free throws and control the tempo of the game. last year was a learning experience and everyone knew that, yet most of these same analysts on here swore to death that the rockets would be the laughingstock of the league, which they were not. there is alot to be said for chemistry, and this team plays great together, they got away from playing defensive minded basketball but thats what you get when you trot out the smallest starting center in the history of the NBA (chuck hayes 6'6) even in a bizarro situation that yao isnt ready to go brad miller can run adelman's system very well from the high post and he will keep the team afloat until the mid-season blockbuster this team is positioning itself for. please keep sleeping on the rockets as is the norm around here cuz its gonna be fun next year ... and yao's comments in china are being misconstrued .. he doesnt want to play for china national basketball anymore, he wants to focus on closing out his NBA career in good form so he's going to say whatever he can to get out of that 'obligation' -- those commy S.O.B's ... yao will play around 30 MPG and give us around 18/10 which is fine by me considering we arent in need for scoring, just the presence of the big guy back in the paint will provide the boost that was lacking last year. keep up the intellectual talk all you 'NBA' fans ... smoochies.

LTS
07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I see them in the playoffs

Htownballa1622
07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
wow, a rockets thread going 12 pages? that must be a first on PSD. its never boring to read the level of insight from all the professional analysts on here 'the rockets have too many injuries therefore they will suck' really going out on a limb with that one arent ya sport? ... 'mutumbo was nothing more than a glorified coat rack' that was probably the single most ridiculous and irresponsible line in the history of this site, go back and watch some games and more importantly the 22 game win streak and then go back to cbs sportsline or wherever the hell you came from ... pretty please. Aaron Brooks overrated? yeaaa i guess anyone can win the most improved player award, but just cuz he's short they gave it to him right? led the league in 3's by the way, but i guess 3 point shots are overrated too. LUIS SCOLA IS SOFT? geeeeez why do people post without watching some games?? that guy is an animal, for his lack of athleticism he produces at a great clip especially since the landry trade last year (carl was great but some people on here are making him out to be some kind of allstar - which he is not) one of you geniuses even has the grizzlies over the rockets? how funny is that. Yet another brilliant thinker wants to throw in a rib about a near 50 year old Olajuwon/Kenny on pro's vs joe's, seriously? walk to the mirror, open your eyes wide and slap the piss out of yourself, then proceed to watch tape of Dream from 1981-1999 and shut up.

on to next year. this team as assembled has some of the leagues most efficient players at their positions in kevin martin,yao ming,kyle lowry ... they get to the line,hit their free throws and control the tempo of the game. last year was a learning experience and everyone knew that, yet most of these same analysts on here swore to death that the rockets would be the laughingstock of the league, which they were not. there is alot to be said for chemistry, and this team plays great together, they got away from playing defensive minded basketball but thats what you get when you trot out the smallest starting center in the history of the NBA (chuck hayes 6'6) even in a bizarro situation that yao isnt ready to go brad miller can run adelman's system very well from the high post and he will keep the team afloat until the mid-season blockbuster this team is positioning itself for. please keep sleeping on the rockets as is the norm around here cuz its gonna be fun next year ... and yao's comments in china are being misconstrued .. he doesnt want to play for china national basketball anymore, he wants to focus on closing out his NBA career in good form so he's going to say whatever he can to get out of that 'obligation' -- those commy S.O.B's ... yao will play around 30 MPG and give us around 18/10 which is fine by me considering we arent in need for scoring, just the presence of the big guy back in the paint will provide the boost that was lacking last year. keep up the intellectual talk all you 'NBA' fans ... smoochies.

I 100% agree with you.everything you said was perfect.not tryna sound on your nuts but youre right and these are my same views.thank you.

Bishnoff
07-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Rockets are more than decent, even without Yao. They have a lot of depth and young guys who will blossom over the next few seasons. They've added a great prospect in Patterson and Miller is a solid vet. With Martin for an entire season, they should win at least 50 games.

SouthSideRookie
07-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Anyone who has watched Rocket ball lately would totally agree !!!

Jeff559
07-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Its possible, they could finish anywhere from 4-10 in the west.

Blazers#1Fan
07-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I definitely agree with you on alot.i like what they've done.i like the two centers.kidd is awesome.that french guy is a stud.i think he should see the floor more than jj did.if caron plays well, dirk is dirk, marion comes back better almost like phoenix days,i do like the mavs to go deep. I wouldn't mind a classic 4-5 dallas houston series to see who plays l.a. problem is.i expect it to look like this.

1.lakers
2.mavs
3.nuggets
4.rockets
5.jazz
6.thunder
7.spurs
8. Blazers

so portlands a 8th seed didnt they sweep the thunder and beat went 2-2 with LA only teams that gave portland trouble all year was the suns and now they wont even make the playoffs, your blinded portland was injured most of the year last year now there all healthy and we added players and lost webster and.. Rudy(and will pickup a player)

1.Lakers
2.Mavs
3.Blazers
4.Nuggets
5.Jazz
6.Thunder
7.Spurs
8.Rockets

Htownballa1622
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
so portlands a 8th seed didnt they sweep the thunder and beat went 2-2 with LA only teams that gave portland trouble all year was the suns and now they wont even make the playoffs, your blinded portland was injured most of the year last year now there all healthy and we added players and lost webster and.. Rudy(and will pickup a player)

1.Lakers
2.Mavs
3.Blazers
4.Nuggets
5.Jazz
6.Thunder
7.Spurs
8.Rockets

Don't get offended.i just don't see them being great losing webster and fernandez.plus they get no low post scoring which is key in west.don't get your feelings hurt and put the rockets eighth.and nuggets are better than portland imo.this wasn't even a thread about portland.so before you get upset at me.be upset with your management for selecting oden before durant.

HakeemTheDream
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM
The west is so tough it's hard to make an accurate prediction, even the most minor of injuries can change the whole picture because several teams will have very similar records. One think I can tell y'all for sure though, win differential is a pretty decent indicator of future success and Mavs had a pretty bad one last season while Jazz had a very good one - so the only prediction I'm gonna make that isn't obvious is that Mavs will place 4-8 and Jazz will place 1-4. And lets face it Mavs fans, Jason Kidd is going to be 38 next year, that's old as ****.

S-Dot
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Dude thats WAY MORE REALISTIC than the Knicks finishing with "50" wins LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never mentioned the Knicks getting 50 wins.

Htownballa1622
07-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I never mentioned the Knicks getting 50 wins.

Do you think they can win 50?...also
Do you think they will win 50?

S-Dot
07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Do you think they can win 50?...also
Do you think they will win 50?

As much as I would like for that to happen, I seriously doubt it. We'll win between 40-45 at most.

Htownballa1622
07-30-2010, 06:54 PM
I see.i think they'll surprise some people.obviously they struck out with lebron but I feel they're making right moves.they just need to stop offering horrible contracts. Jared jeffries got 7 mill!?