PDA

View Full Version : Dave Bush

TheBomb255
07-27-2010, 06:04 PM
The fact that no one is talking about acquiring him is pretty pathetic. Teams are looking at Ted Lilly, Edwin Jackson etc, but yet no one is interested in Dave Bush? Sure, he's 5-8 and has a 4.27 ERA, but if you look at his numbers, he could very well be 7-6 or something along those lines.

Dave Bush has 13 QS's in 20 starts. To compare that number, Oswalt has 15 QS's in 20 starts.

In June, Bush had a 3.41 ERA. In July, he has a 3.81 ERA, and that includes a pathetic start in Pittsburgh.

Is there any reason why teams aren't more interested in him?

As Doug Melvin said yesterday:

"I get a kick out of teams talking about all of these other pitchers, and [Bush] has more quality starts than all of them," general manager Doug Melvin said. "He's pitched as well or better than some of these names I hear on the trade front.

Bush is a very good pitcher, that get's really no good recgonization. He isn't an all-star, but he'll eat you innings, and give you quality starts.

whitesoxfan83
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
His WHIP is also over 1.50 and he is having the best season of his career...

I wonder why no teams are calling...

whitesoxfan83
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
This is just like the Bautista thread but with a pitcher instead of a hitter.

brewersfan729
07-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Is there any reason why teams aren't more interested in him?

His peripheral stats are terrible, his stuff is terrible and he won't garner any compensation picks after the season which means a team can't recoup some of the value they give up.

redwhitenblue
07-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, it helps that 13 of his runs given up this year are unearned. That lowers his ERA from 5.3 to 4.27. He really doesn't pitch more than 6IP either.

GeekInThePink
07-27-2010, 06:21 PM
This is just like the Bautista thread but with a pitcher instead of a hitter.

Bautista is leading the league in home runs, how is a pitcher having a career year (not ranked really in anything) like a hitter who's having a career year who's top 10 in a lot of offensive stats :facepalm:

redwhitenblue
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Bautista is leading the league in home runs, how is a pitcher having a career year (not ranked really in anything) like a hitter who's having a career year who's top 10 in a lot of offensive stats :facepalm:
Both are anomaly's.

It's pretty damn clear, unless you're just kidding yourself, that Bautista isn't likely to continue his power surge much longer. He still can't hit for average but his OBP isn't much higher either. In fact, nothing about Bautista has changed much except for his power numbers. To believe that he can continue that is ignorant (just as believing Bush can continue to keep his ERA down with his current peripherals is ignorant)

GeekInThePink
07-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Bautista has been hitting ever since he's started for the Blue Jays last year, to believe his power is just going to go away is ignorant and comparing him to Matt Bush is stupid

mark1125
07-27-2010, 06:28 PM
At his very best, Bush is a #5 pitcher. Most of the time, he is a spot starter/long reliever. As many have said, look at his periphial numbers.

redwhitenblue
07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Bautista has been hitting ever since he's started for the Blue Jays last year, to believe his power is just going to go away is ignorant and comparing him to Matt Bush is stupid
Bautista hasn't been hitting ANY differently since "starting" than he did the previous 6 seasons except that his power spiked this year. His average is still low, his OBP is still similar to last year and in the good, not great range. The only difference is the power surge (hmm...surprisingly, another Toronto player had a power surge this year too, Alex Gonzalez, I guess he's a good bet to continue as well).

I truly pray Toronto holds onto Bautista and passes up several offers. I'd LOVE to watch him 'continue' his flukey power surge.

Kelly Gruber
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Both are anamoly's.

Who the hell is "anomoly" and why do Bautista and Bush belong to him/her/it?

redwhitenblue
07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Who the hell is "anomoly" and why do Bautista and Bush belong to him/her/it?
Christ, corrected spelling, sorry ma'am.

Jamiecballer
07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
4 million is too much for mediocre bush.

Sick Of It All
07-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Because people have had it with guys named Bush.

B-Nizzl
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Frankly, Dave Bush isn't good enough for the Brewers starting 5, why should he be good enough for a contender....this is coming from a Brewers Fan. I see what you are saying though with him being better than Edwin Jackson and not getting ANY attention.

Dmac
07-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Indeed. Good thing nobody mentioned Matt Bush. Whoever the hell that is.

Crucis
07-28-2010, 12:52 AM
His peripheral stats are terrible, his stuff is terrible and he won't garner any compensation picks after the season which means a team can't recoup some of the value they give up.

Actually, the lack of compensation picks should make the cost to acquire Bush lower, since the very presence of those picks for free agents drives up their value. This is why Scott Downs' relative value on the trade market is so high ... because the Jays think that as a Type A free agent, he could be worth a 1st round pick and a sandwich pick... and they are demanding similar value for Downs to compensate for the loss of those picks.

However, for an unrated free agent, the very lack of those compensation picks should significantly reduce the player's value in many circumstances.

hgtiger32
07-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Frankly, Dave Bush isn't good enough for the Brewers starting 5, why should he be good enough for a contender....this is coming from a Brewers Fan. I see what you are saying though with him being better than Edwin Jackson and not getting ANY attention.

yeah no kidding, i want him out of the brewers rotation...lol he'll either be really good or really bad when he pitches...mostly really bad...

brewersfan729
07-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Actually, the lack of compensation picks should make the cost to acquire Bush lower, since the very presence of those picks for free agents drives up their value. This is why Scott Downs' relative value on the trade market is so high ... because the Jays think that as a Type A free agent, he could be worth a 1st round pick and a sandwich pick... and they are demanding similar value for Downs to compensate for the loss of those picks.

However, for an unrated free agent, the very lack of those compensation picks should significantly reduce the player's value in many circumstances.

I know. I said teams aren't going to give up what it takes to get Melvin to trade him because they can't get a compensation pick for him after the season.