PDA

View Full Version : Which of these 2 entered the league with more potential?

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Saw this poll on ESPN and thought it was a solid question. Which one entered the league with more potential (ceiling, expectations, etc.): Yao or Oden. Its a relevant comparison since both are injury plagued.

kArSoN RyDaH
07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
yao had a lot of expectations. i remember the laker houston game was so hyped up (shaq vs yao) it was ridiculous.

HeaTxRipZz
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
lmao i don't even want to speak of these 2 in the same subject. Yao has played 400 more games than Oden

But I will say Yao he came in as the anti-Shaq the Antidote for the big diesel and people hyped up a rivalry between them 2 alot which didn't exactly happen as people thought

Jewelz0376
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Yao was supposed to be a big you build your team around..a cenerpiece...

I think most people figured Oden would be one of the best defensive bigs in the league, but never really be a guy you could throw him the ball and let him go to work in the post and get 30...

So to me its Yao

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
lmao i don't even want to speak of these 2 in the same subject. Yao has played 400 more games than Oden

But I will say Yao he came in as the anti-Shaq the Antidote for the big diesel and people hyped up a rivalry between them 2 alot which didn't exactly happen as people thought

Well its more about initial expectations. I'm not saying we can compare their careers though. The Shaq rivalry was pretty good. I remember Walton (Bill) saying Shaq vs Yao was the greatest bigman rivalry in the history of the game. :)

Beastley8
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I actually think Oden had more expectations. He was the #1 pick over Durant, so that right there put high expectations on him, as many believed Durant could be the next big thing (which he is turning out to be).

Yao had big expectations, but I think being a foreign player kind of gave him a little bit of a break because you just never know how foreign players are going to adapt to the NBA.

That's my take anyway.

nanablvd
07-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Oden hasnt even shown a glimpse of what he can do on the court.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I actually think Oden had more expectations. He was the #1 pick over Durant, so that right there put high expectations on him, as many believed Durant could be the next big thing (which he is turning out to be).

Yao had big expectations, but I think being a foreign player kind of gave him a little bit of a break because you just never know how foreign players are going to adapt to the NBA.

That's my take anyway.

Good point.

I was asking about initially expectations.

R_O_W_E
07-27-2010, 04:25 PM

That's my take anyway.

People thought Durant had a chance to be a bust because he was "soft" and "weak" because he couldn't lift 180lbs. Everyone was not as sold on Durant as you think. What hes doing in the NBA is not what he was doing at Texas. At Texas he was playing in the post at the 4 but showing a great midrange game and long range ability. In the NBA he has become a great perimeter scorer. 6'10 with long arms and a perfect release. If only he could drive the lane and dish.

Yao was supposed to be a big you build your team around..a cenerpiece...

I think most people figured Oden would be one of the best defensive bigs in the league, but never really be a guy you could throw him the ball and let him go to work in the post and get 30...

So to me its Yao

Exactly.

Yao is 7'5. People thought he would come into the league and just be an unstoppable force. A 7'5 C with game. You can basically say hes similar to Ralph Sampson. The difference is Houston had Hakeem in place when Sampson broke down.

Oden was compared to Bill Russell. Hes never had an amazing offensive game outside of finishing around the basket, he was expected to come in and be a force on the boards and around the basket. He still can be that.

Klivlend
07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Well its more about initial expectations. I'm not saying we can compare their careers though. The Shaq rivalry was pretty good. I remember Walton (Bill) saying Shaq vs Yao was the greatest bigman rivalry in the history of the game. :)

That fact that Bill Walton said that takes credibility away from the statement. Bill Walton is like the John Madden of the NBA.

Korman12
07-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't say Yao was the more "hyped" prospect, it's just that he was much more well-known.

Popularity-wise, of course Yao is gonna get more attention, he's 7'6". He was the best player ever from the biggest country in the world, was the first international prospect ever taken #1 overall in the draft.

In terms of a classic, overall NBA talent, Oden was huge, and the best pure prospect to come out since LeBron. You don't get hyped as the "next Bill Russell" for nothing. So in terms of talent, and in game impact, I'll say Oden was more hyped. But popularity-wise, Yao was.

R_O_W_E
07-27-2010, 04:29 PM

He showed some of it last season before getting hurt. People really dont understand he from a physical standpoint is right below only Dwight Howard in terms of athletic ability, strength, size, & build.

Hes going to win a DPOY Award eventually. When he works on his positioning to avoid fouls, hes going to average over 3 BPG maybe even 4 BPG.

R_O_W_E
07-27-2010, 04:31 PM
That fact that Bill Walton said that takes credibility away from the statement. Bill Walton is like the John Madden of the NBA.

Bill Walton is a David Stern puppet. Walton does his best to make everything going on right now seem much more significant from a historical standpoint than it really is.

He'll tell you that LeBron/Kobe is among the greatest rivalries in NBA History. Real fans know it doesn't even exist, only in Stern's dreams.

uws
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
yao baby

Hawkeye15
07-27-2010, 04:38 PM
anyone who would have been picked by all 30 GM's over Durant gets my vote

DCSportsIsPain
07-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Yao. 7'6" players who can do everything are expected to be the next legendary center.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 05:11 PM

haha yea I know.

Lakersho
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
yao had a lot of expectations. i remember the laker houston game was so hyped up (shaq vs yao) it was ridiculous.

...ya, i remember that game. its yao hands down... yao could already play," oden could be, " the next whatever...

MrfadeawayJB
07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Yao easily

richiesaurus310
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
yao

BkOriginalOne
07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Oden has the tool to be on one of the best defensive centers, then he could get an Offensive game and be a terror.
On the other hand, Yao is 7'6 and that is A lot of potential.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
I remember that Oden came in with a lot of hype though. There were many who initially doubted Yao. Oden was suppose to be the next defensive great.

Lakersho
07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
He showed some of it last season before getting hurt. People really dont understand he from a physical standpoint is right below only Dwight Howard in terms of athletic ability, strength, size, & build.

Hes going to win a DPOY Award eventually. When he works on his positioning to avoid fouls, hes going to average over 3 BPG maybe even 4 BPG.

..." IF " he can stay heathy, your right. he's a freak built type of center. And he could really be good with the proper training.mostly footwork and positioning as you said. he shouldn't even be shooting out over 10 to 12 ft. for the first 3 or more years. The knee's and ankles tho , thats tough breaks... hard to gain confidence worring about stuff blowin out...

Raidaz4Life
07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Yao easily, the hype surrounding him was ridiculous. Oden was just another number 1 pick.

thekmp211
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
yao was hyped, but a lot of it was because of his nationality and his unique size.

oden was supposed to usher in the new era of centers. he is as physically gifted as any center in the league, dwight howard included.

thekmp211
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Yao easily, the hype surrounding him was ridiculous. Oden was just another number 1 pick.

wrong. the hype surround oden was so incredible that even durants ridiculous performance and potential could not vault him ahead of oden on draft boards.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
wrong. the hype surround oden was so incredible that even durants ridiculous performance and potential could not vault him ahead of oden on draft boards.

Agree. I remember KD having a sick rookie season, but many still thought Oden would eventually be a better player.

blazerman
07-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Oden was hyped to be the next great ctr, I wish it would come true

Yao well well hyped up with potential but alot of us had the attitude- I have to see it to believe it, because he was a large china man and really no chinese players had dominated the NBA previously. Minus the injury he is a force to be reckoned with.

RaiderLakersA's
07-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Yao, because it was said that he'd be the one ushering Shaq into retirement and becoming the second "most dominant center in the game."

BKNets21
07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I'd give it to Yao considering his size and skill set. The year before he was drafted he averaged 39 ppg and 21 rpg and shot 76% from the field in the CBA playoffs. I know it's only the Chinese league but those numbers are still ridiculous for a 21 year old.

Although Greg Oden was compared by some to Bill Russell before he was drafted, so I think it's pretty close.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Polls show that its very close

serrano275
07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't know about Potential to be honest. But when Yao steped on the stage people thought he was going to be this unstoppable force. Comercials and posters where everywhere, he did not live up to his hype IMO. PLUS he was even bigger in China

So technicaly he had almost 30 % of the world on his shoulders when he stepped on the court. If that aint big then I don't know what is.

S-Dot
07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
This is tough because they thought Yao's global impact on the game of basketball would be great. Not too many people talked about his actual performance.

However, Oden was being compared to the greats. They had specials on ESPN with him sitting with and being mentored by Bill Russell and Bill Walton. I have to say Oden had more potential, especially after he did well against both Joakim Noah and Al Horford in that 2007 Final Four