PDA

View Full Version : Can the Knicks win 50 games if they reach their potential?

Boston Faithful
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Amare Stoudemire is healthy, posts career numbers.
Danilo Gallinari plays near All-Star level.
Raymond Felton gets 16-17 and 8.
Anthony Randolph makes steady progression towards an All-Star level.
Ronny Turiaf proves to be a great defensive complement to Amare.

Azuibuike, Mozgov, Chandler, Toney Douglas and Bill Walker turn out to be a decent bench.

Do they reach 50 wins?

blastmasta26
07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
If they reached their potential, yes. But that's not gonna happen this year.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
probably too early

Chronz
07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
From a purely offensive/statistical level, the switch of Amare for Lee wouldnt net you much of a difference. But there are 2 prevailing thoughts that give hope to NY fans, 1 is that Amare is actually a better defender than Lee, the 2nd is that Amare didnt play to his potential for the first half of the year. His production once he got back into game shape was significantly different. If you consider that his potential then you guys are a playoff team for sure.

scutch11
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Id say give it a year, probably closer to 45 this year, give or take a couple wins

Weezy
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Its going to take time for us because of all the roster changes. Only 3 players are still on the team who were on the team last year all year around: Gallo, Chandler and Douglas. (excluding Eddy Curry of course who played very limited time).

Hawkeye15
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
From a purely offensive/statistical level, the switch of Amare for Lee wouldnt net you much of a difference. But there are 2 prevailing thoughts that give hope to NY fans, 1 is that Amare is actually a better defender than Lee, the 2nd is that Amare didnt play to his potential for the first half of the year. His production once he got back into game shape was significantly different. If you consider that his potential then you guys are a playoff team for sure.

what kind of effect will Amare suffer though, without Nash's screen and roll ability?

Jays Claw
07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
If the Knicks play up to their potential, 45-50 wins seems reasonable.

sunnydayin'zona
07-27-2010, 02:15 PM
what kind of effect will Amare suffer though, without Nash's screen and roll ability?

he wont. when amare has had to play in games without steve, he makes up for not having a playmaker by being the main offensive force.

i thought doubting amare's ability to score himself was over...apparently not.

in the one game without steve nash last season, against the thunder, amare put up 30 points, ending the thunder's 9 game win streak.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2010, 02:16 PM
No they can't. In the east they should but it's still a D'Antoni team meaning no defense. Just like his old Suns they'll never be able to get multiple stops when they need them.

I see them beating up on the bottom dwellers, and getting pummeled by good teams. About .500 seems fair.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
he wont. when amare has had to play in games without steve, he makes up for not having a playmaker by being the main offensive force.

i thought doubting amare's ability to score himself was over...apparently not.

in the one game without steve nash last season, against the thunder, amare put up 30 points, ending the thunder's 9 game win streak.

that is too small of a sample size to tell me how the overall effect of Steve Nash not being there will effect Amare. I am waiting on Chronz's reply. Dragic played in the same offense, therefore the team they played that one game scouted Phx, and played them the same way they would have.

gmckenziejr82
07-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I say there is a possibility. When 40-45 wins can get you a playoff spot in the east, anything is possible.

yanks19791024
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I say we win 45 games

Bellz
07-27-2010, 02:20 PM
As a knicks fan I think we get around 41-45 wins good for 6-8 in the east.

PC
07-27-2010, 02:21 PM

I do believe Amare can create his own offense but even if it's not as good as I think it is, Felton is one of the top PGs to run the pick and roll with.

As for the question, I think 50s a reach but it's certainly possible. I think we'll end up with around 45 but again anything's possible

J_M_B
They can get pretty close to it, but closer to 45 wins.

thekmp211

he is a dominant one on one player in his own right. he will still get his numbers without nash.

i also think felton will have a very surprising year under d'antoni, whose style is pretty much the anti-Larry Brown. he has the skills to be a good pick and roll point guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronz

i know statistically lee and amare were essentially a wash but i do think he will prove to be an upgrade. he was a better player in the 2nd half, and his athletic abilities are far superior to Lee. I think he will be a more dynamic player on both ends of the floor.

amare will probably grab a ton of rebounds, because he is going to be stranded down low. similar to bosh last season, whose rebounds spiked in large part because the other big men on the team could not bang down low. hopefully he can stay healthy.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2010, 02:23 PM
^ I simply want to hear Chronz's answer, no offense. I am not claming Amare will fall off the planet, he is too talented. I would just like to hear the reasoning behind Chronz's statement.

uws
07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
yes they absolutely can. but they never will because we have the worst coach in the NBA

thekmp211
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
^ I simply want to hear Chronz's answer, no offense. I am not claming Amare will fall off the planet, he is too talented. I would just like to hear the reasoning behind Chronz's statement.

**** YOU MAN IM SMART TOO!!!

its cool. so do i.

Redbull
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking around 42-45 wins sounds about right.

Beltrans Mole
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
50 wins? As a Knicks fan, I'll believe it when I see it. This organization has been irrelevent for a full decade now...and it's hard to me to have faith when our big free agent summer of 2010 was landing Amar'e and Felton.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 02:38 PM
They'll win close to 44 games.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2010, 02:48 PM
**** YOU MAN IM SMART TOO!!!

its cool. so do i.

haha, naw, he made the intial statement, and I value his evaluations more than almost anyone else .

97NYer
07-27-2010, 02:51 PM
So you're saying we start Felton, Gallo, Randolph, Amar'e, Turiaf? 4 guys 6'10 or over?

tbomlad
07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
38 wins if they reach their potential.

Slimsim
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
truthfully i would be happy to see the big 40 in our win column this year.

GMEN4EVER
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Realistically they'll win 40-45 games this year, barring an injury to Felton or Amar'e. But, if they all reach their realistic max potential for this year then yeah, they could certainly win 50 games this year. It's not a strong conference, and they'll force a lot of bad match ups on teams trying to defend them. So 40-45 wins and a 7 or 8 seed, with 50 or so wins and a 5 or 6 seed if the players you named all hit those marks. One thing is for certain, they'll be a hell of a lot of fun to watch, every bit as much as it was to watch the Suns all those years, and maybe even slightly more so.

TaylorMays
if they reach their potential then the rockets have a good shot at a top 5 pick

HeaTxRipZz
I think they sky is the limit if Amare and Felton can step up as true leaders on the team. Amare because he is older and Felton has to be able to run this offense and tell guys where to be and how to help. I'm thinking around 40 if Felton does what I think he will and Gallo continues to prove himself. If they play to full potential I'd say 48-50. But Leadership is the big part here it is for any good team

MrfadeawayJB
07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
No, not this year

nanablvd
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
The key is Gallinari's development and Felton-Amare chemistry. If both bode well for the team a 45-win season is very reasonable. Amare used to thrive big time in run-and-gun offense. The East get stronger for a couple of teams but the rest in the East are still very weak compared to the average West.

knicksfan42
07-27-2010, 03:12 PM

Azuibuike, Mozgov, Chandler, Toney Douglas and Bill Walker turn out to be a decent bench.

Do they reach 50 wins?

Even with all that, provided Turiaf starts, no they won't reach 50 wins.

Yanks All Day
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't see the vast improvement in the Knicks this year that everyone else does. 29 and 53 last year was bad, and I see their record being better, but 50 wins? David Lee averaged 20 and 12 last year. Harrington averaged 18 and 6. Last year, Amar'e averaged 22 and 7 and is notorious for not playing defense or rebounding. Lee was a great rebounder, and I really don't see anyone on the Knicks' roster who can grab rebounds consistently. Offensively, the Knicks will be better, but defensively, I believe they got worse. 35-47 I would give this team.

abe_froman
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
somewhere in the 40's,i'll say 40-45 w's

RedSoxFan2434
07-27-2010, 03:16 PM
no 30-35 wins at best

Sadds The Gr8
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
hell no. they'll be better than us though.

eagles715
07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
raymond felton has never once averaged over 15 points a game..now hes supposed to have 16 or 17 plus 8 assists..thats a little ambitious i think

HeaTxRipZz
07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't see the vast improvement in the Knicks this year that everyone else does. 29 and 53 last year was bad, and I see their record being better, but 50 wins? David Lee averaged 20 and 12 last year. Harrington averaged 18 and 6. Last year, Amar'e averaged 22 and 7 and is notorious for not playing defense or rebounding. Lee was a great rebounder, and I really don't see anyone on the Knicks' roster who can grab rebounds consistently. Offensively, the Knicks will be better, but defensively, I believe they got worse. 35-47 I would give this team.

I see you feed off statistics alot. That is something you can use but can't solely use as a basis of determining how a team will do. Amare bring other aspects that Lee doesn't have. Plays more D, has an actually post presence offensively and defensively. He averages over a block per game. Harrington literally ball hogged don't know how that's a big loss to honest about it. I'm glad hes gone and he played little to no D. Our only real defesive weapons last yr were Gallo, Wil and Jeffries before he was traded. Now we got Amare who stats even shows that, AR whos got pretty good potential, Turiaf known for energy and rebounds.

All in all you have to actually watch these players and see what they bring not hit up NBA.com or ESPN and check on stats because they never tell the whole story. Now if they some how had a stat on how good in the post they are on both ends and other intangibles I'd be all for it but they don't

Also not sure where you get your number but amare averaged 23.1 ppg 8.9 rpg

GMEN4EVER
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Their defense got worse? Are you kidding me? Felton is a very good defensive point guard, way better than Duhon. Azubuike is a solid 2 guard defensively. Amar'e is a better defender than Lee, who is literally the worst defensive big man in the NBA. We added a lot of athleticism and length this year, two things that bode well for a defensive improvement. Yanks all day you have no idea what you are talking about. Amar'e averaged 22 and 7? Really? Try 23 and 9. He's a far better rebounder than Harrington was. We're losing a bit of rebounding at the center position, but gaining a huge amount of it at PF. And Randolph averages 11.2 rebounds per 36 min, i'd say that's pretty good rebounding.

Drunk Kosar 19
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
yea they can win 50 games if they sign Lebron in 2017

uws
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
i think this really hinges on a coaching change.

if we pushed mike D out and brought in a good coach, we could get these guys up to their potential and make a little noise.

Right now everyone on the team is going to put up good stats (cuz of the huge minutes they will be responsible for) but the team will not come out on top or ever breach the 50 win plateu until Dbag is gone

Purple&Gold24
07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
maybe 40ish games. not sure though...

dnl123
07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Amare won't post career numbers without a guy named Nash giving him easy buckets all day long.

lvlheaded
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
I think 45 wins is possible but I believe that they still need a year to develop and one more star player till they can be a 50+ win team

Yanks All Day
07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I see you feed off statistics alot. That is something you can use but can't solely use as a basis of determining how a team will do. Amare bring other aspects that Lee doesn't have. Plays more D, has an actually post presence offensively and defensively. He averages over a block per game. Harrington literally ball hogged don't know how that's a big loss to honest about it. I'm glad hes gone and he played little to no D. Our only real defesive weapons last yr were Gallo, Wil and Jeffries before he was traded. Now we got Amare who stats even shows that, AR whos got pretty good potential, Turiaf known for energy and rebounds.

All in all you have to actually watch these players and see what they bring not hit up NBA.com or ESPN and check on stats because they never tell the whole story. Now if they some how had a stat on how good in the post they are on both ends and other intangibles I'd be all for it but they don't

Also not sure where you get your number but amare averaged 23.1 ppg 8.9 rpg

Oh wow I was actually looking at his 2010 playoff stats. My bad on that one. That's where the 22 and 7 came from. Sorry.

But no I watched most Knicks games last year. They weren't that great at all last year, and I don't think losing Lee and bringing in Amar'e is a difference of 20 wins. Felton is a good defensive guard, yes, and he is an upgrade over Duhon, but how does he run the pick and roll with Amar'e? Does Gallinari continue to progress? Does Randolph actually live up to his potential, which has seemed to elude him thus far? Too many questions right now to say they will win 50 games.

mjqusoldier
07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
yes we can easily win 50 games. we got much better defensively with our new faces. Randolph is capable of blocking alot of shots and Felton, Turiaf, and Azubuike are proven good defenders in this league. And yes i can easily see felton averaging 17+ a game because Larry browns system isnt meant for the pg to score much and he doesnt give them alot of freedom. Felton has a huge arsenal of tricks to score and will become a top pg in the league in this system
+

dnl123
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
yes we can easily win 50 games. we got much better defensively with our new faces. Randolph is capable of blocking alot of shots and Felton, Turiaf, and Azubuike are proven good defenders in this league. And yes i can easily see felton averaging 17+ a game because Larry browns system isnt meant for the pg to score much and he doesnt give them alot of freedom. Felton has a huge arsenal of tricks to score and will become a top pg in the league in this system
+

homer.

HeaTxRipZz
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh wow I was actually looking at his 2010 playoff stats. My bad on that one. That's where the 22 and 7 came from. Sorry.

But no I watched most Knicks games last year. They weren't that great at all last year, and I don't think losing Lee and bringing in Amar'e is a difference of 20 wins. Felton is a good defensive guard, yes, and he is an upgrade over Duhon, but how does he run the pick and roll with Amar'e? Does Gallinari continue to progress? Does Randolph actually live up to his potential, which has seemed to elude him thus far? Too many questions right now to say they will win 50 games.

Very true I can agree there are alot of question marks to say we can get 50 wins. I do think we will be much improved though. The success of the team will come down to Gallinari and Randolph though that is for sure as well as Wilson Chandler. I don't believe Amare and Felton can hold it down themselves but they will bring some more wins

ROCKETMAN34
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Anything can happen with this team. But to hope for 50 wins?? Not goingto happen. As said in a few posted they will pound the weak teams but get pounded by the stronger teams. You have a some decent players but to have them mesh and play well as a team?? I dont see it and you know at some point there will be an injury to someone. Anyway I hope you get 20-30 wins because we have the Knicks pick and that will be handy in the future.

GMEN4EVER
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
The problem with basing what we saw last year of the knicks and what that means for their future success this season is it has no bearing at all. They have 2 regular returning rotation players, Chandler and Gallo. That's it. TD got some minutes, but he was not a regular in the lineup till the end of the year.

Here's a list of guys who we can expect to get regular rotation minutes this year that were not a part of the team before: Felton, Azubuike, Randolph, STAT, Turiaf, and most likely Mosgov. That's two thirds of the regulars being completely new players. So stop basing any arguments on anything the team did last year, we have the most completely different team in the league this year outside of the Heat. Oh, and all 3 of the returning guys are 24 and under, aka they're still in the part of their careers where people typically are still improving their game.

NyPicks
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Why does everyone jump on Felton saying he cant improve his stats in Mike D's offense and they bow down to Nash who became a two time MVP in Mike's offense. Nash was a third team all league guy instantly became much improved under Mike. He averaged 16 and 8 in Dallas and in PHX it went to 18 and 11. So why cant Felton jump from 14 and 7 (what he averaged the the 2 prior years to this last one to 16 and 9. Not that big of jump when you go from playing with Okafor in the middle to Amare.

NyPicks
07-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Anything can happen with this team. But to hope for 50 wins?? Not goingto happen. As said in a few posted they will pound the weak teams but get pounded by the stronger teams. You have a some decent players but to have them mesh and play well as a team?? I dont see it and you know at some point there will be an injury to someone. Anyway I hope you get 20-30 wins because we have the Knicks pick and that will be handy in the future.

So can we say that about any team ie: the celtics have no shot at getting back to the finals this year because at some point there will be an injury to someone.

Matrix3132
07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Kind of a pointless thread because OF COURSE THEY CAN. Every team in the nba has the talent/potential to be a 50-win team but its easier said than done. I've heard former coaches/players of most professional sports say that the biggest difference between the best and worst players in the league has less to do with talent/potential and more to do with bball iq, coaching, and the luck of being in the right situation to succeed. So ya, the stars could align for anybody but its kinda rare.

Tony_Starks
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Im not really too impressed with Felton. He had Crash on the wing who's pretty good off the ball and yet his assist weren't that hot. His stats might get inflated under Mike's offense, similar to D Lee, but I can't really see him as a difference maker.

I look at Douglas actually as the difference maker. If he can really push Felton for that starting spot and step his game up they will be a problem. He's more athletic and has a better J than Felton IMO. Could even lead to possibly playing them both in the backcourt at times....

thekmp211
07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
haha, naw, he made the intial statement, and I value his evaluations more than almost anyone else .

dont blame ya. dude knows his stuff. i will stand by my assessment, though, for what it's worth.

JPHX
07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
After he signed a max deal, Amare's due for a surgery. Hey! It happend to us. :(

dRa1niNg_ 3s
07-27-2010, 05:26 PM
nope they'll win around 28-33 games dont see much of an upgrade from last season..

knicks09
07-27-2010, 05:26 PM
raymond felton has never once averaged over 15 points a game..now hes supposed to have 16 or 17 plus 8 assists..thats a little ambitious i think

He's never played in a run and gun system now

knicks09
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
nope they'll win around 28-33 games dont see much of an upgrade from last season..

Are you kidding me ? We won 29 games last year with a much worse roster and you expect us to win that much with a better roster ?

mets77
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
hopefully playoffs

TEXASTITAN
07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Knicks will be a lottery team for Houston for the next 2 years and as a Rockets fan i thank you. Your not getting to 50 wins this year or the next in all probability.

Atownballa5
07-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Nopeeeee

Giaps
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I think it largely depends on the 2 young guys; Gallinari and Randolph. Both have star potential so if they improve then they have a solid 4 in Amare-Felton-Gallinari-Randolph

stoopboy45
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
somewhere in the 40's,i'll say 40-45 w's

I'm with you. 40-45 is still a tremendous improvement over last season. Remember I think they said the Knicks lead the league in losses by 5 or fewer points last year with the team they had then. A made basket here and a stop there and they could have won 35 with that team.

The only way I see them winning 50 is if another MAJOR player is added...a.k.a. CP3 or Melo.....and I don't see that happening right now.

Oh, by the way I am a lifelong Knicks fan too. Unlike some others I am a realistic as to what our possibilities are. Now....two years from now....50 wins is doable...with the right moves and development.

NYY 26 to 7
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Knicks will be a lottery team for Houston for the next 2 years and as a Rockets fan i thank you. Your not getting to 50 wins this year or the next in all probability.

The Rockets are way worse off than the Knicks. Especially if Yao is done. There will be no switch in draft picks.

We will not reach our potential this year. Maybe the year after but 2 years with this young core we should really be seeing what can happen... if they are kept together. They have to rely on sharing the ball and being a cohesive TEAM.

Also people who still try and hate on Amar'e or say losing Lee and gaining Amar'e is a wash are insane or have never watched the two play. Lee does not have the ability to take over. Lee never would command a double team and open up other players. He is way worse on D than Amar'e. He is a better rebounder and any comparision but that should not even be made. Watching the two they are not on the same level.

Gideon
07-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Talk about a wishful thinker! Knicks will have over 40 wins if things go wrong and easily get 50 if they reach their potential. Also, the knicks aren't finished with their trades. You better believe by next summer we are grabbing one if not both CP3 and Melo and only Knicks haters can't really see that happening and I'm one of the Knicks fans who knew we weren't getting Lebron.

stoopboy45
07-27-2010, 05:49 PM

You wish!!! They are definately a 40-45 win team in the East.

Korman12
07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
There's not enough info to tell me how well this team may or may not end up doing. I have my doubts though.

stoopboy45
As a Knicks fan my realistic season is getting the 8th seed and knocking off the Heat in the 1st round..........but I'd settle for playing them tough and losing in a close final series game!!!

Write it down baby!!!!!!!

nycsports2
def... i say 40-45 this yr tho

dRa1niNg_ 3s
07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=NYY 26 to 7;14320590]The Rockets are way worse off than the Knicks. Especially if Yao is done. There will be no switch in draft picks.

QUOTE]

Pshhh how so the Rockets ARE way better than the knicks in every position, even without Yao i think they can win more games than the Knicks (hopely that doesnt happen). But if they do end up getting CP3 and Melo then ur a real threat, which i doubt they do get either of them. Heres to helping out the Rockets with lottery picks we truely thank ya'll.

MSG34
07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Let's just get to .500 basketball, I'd be happy with that from this group in the first year. Although I do believe the future is promising given the salary cap flexibility and young prospects.

HeaTxRipZz
07-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Pshhh how so the Rockets ARE way better than the knicks in every position, even without Yao i think they can win more games than the Knicks (hopely that doesnt happen). But if they do end up getting CP3 and Melo then ur a real threat, which i doubt they do get either of them. Heres to helping out the Rockets with lottery picks we truely thank ya'll.

lmao it really sounds like much wishful thinking on your end. Knicks are far from that team that consisted of sorry players like Mardy Collins, Malik Rose, Tim Thomas, Chris Duhon, JEROME fn JAMES, Dan Dickau, a Old Fred Jones.....god maybe I should stop i almost threw up in my mouth.

If the knicks can win 23-33 games with alot of these either over the hill or clear bum players I'm sure they will be better off with young potential talent and 2 proven starters in Felton and Allstar Amare. Heres to wishful thinking though for the rockets just sorry for u that it won't exactly go that way

GeekInThePink
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
No chance, the Knicks are terrible and everyones overrating them

TheWatcher34
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
that's a stupid question. wait and see.

mjqusoldier
07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
homer.

positive thinker and an optimist

dimedrpr
07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is hilarious. If you are a Knick fan, you should be thrilled if they win 35 games this year. They won't be able to stop ANYONE.

HeaTxRipZz
07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is hilarious. If you are a Knick fan, you should be thrilled if they win 35 games this year. They won't be able to stop ANYONE.

Someone doesn't know much

mjqusoldier
07-27-2010, 06:17 PM
i dont even knpw why people make threads about Ny teams anymore. Everyone is going to hate no matter what because our city is way better than theirs...

TaylorMays
07-27-2010, 06:22 PM
the rockets wont have to swap picks? how the **** can you seriously think the knicks will win more games than the rockets?

B.JenningsMVP
07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
73-9

grega1976
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
35 wins tops.. they are garbage and have ZERO bench...

BkOriginalOne
07-27-2010, 06:29 PM
They can win 46 games max.

Jeff559
07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
What is describe in the post falls more under the classification of wet dream rather than a team reaching its potential. Knicks will be lucky to play .500 ball

JRisdabest
07-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Ummmmm...no. I say maybe 38

Hokysfan
07-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Haha is this post even seriouse.. And someone can even argue that they can?.. I had a dude tell me they would be a 5 seed in east

Ragan
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
i dont even knpw why people make threads about Ny teams anymore. Everyone is going to hate no matter what because our city is way better than theirs...

It's not hate it's logic. The Knicks won 29 games last year. You really think they made enough improvements over last year's team to get 21 additional wins? 21?!?! That's 72% more wins than last year! That is absurd. Not to mention the original poster has Danilo Galinari and Anthony Randolf as all-star hopefuls and Ray Felton averaging well over his career best #s...

Don't get me wrong, for the first time in a LONG time it seems like they are heading in the right direction. They will definitely be better than last year and challenge for a playoff spot, but I dunno if they win 40 games, much less 50.

Da Knicks
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
lol I cant believe I read through all of this but im a realist and im hoping for a 45 win season but, anything can happen. The subtraction of Harrington, House, Duhon, Jeffries, Robinson, Hughes is greater than almost all the additions. Too many black holes.

brandt
07-27-2010, 06:41 PM
They'll be lucky to win 40.

dtmagnet
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't think they can win 50 games playing at their best, but yes to playoffs.

jdmd3
07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
No, East is pretty stacked now.

vinsanity15jp
07-27-2010, 06:55 PM
nets will win fifty before the knicks will

blazerman
07-27-2010, 06:55 PM
35 to 38 wins!

BlkProphet79
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm more curious why a Celtics/KG fan would be making a thread about the Knicks in the first place. In the last 5 days, the only noteworthy news has been the CP3/N.O. situation. I do not see the point of this thread.

scutch11
07-27-2010, 07:00 PM
the knicks arent gonna win 50, but to say they have not DRASTICALLY improved over last year is just plain ridiculous.

getting rid of players like duhon, harrington, hughes, etc...all either black holes on offense, none can play d, and duhon is just completely inept...these are all extreme additions by subtractions

felton is a huge upgrade, im not saying hes gonna be an all-star but freaking duhon averaged 11 and 7 in this system, felton played this system in college for a nat'l championship, hell be fine.

we have actual role players now in azubuike, turiaf, chandler, etc.

gallo and AR should thrive with constant playing time for the first time.

i saw someone say we have no bench, honestly our depth is probably our biggest strength right now.

i dont care about stats, amar'e is a HUGE upgrade over dlee, theres a reason one got the max contract and one didnt.

knicks are going to win at least 40 games, but not 50. i cant believe people are saying this team is no better than last years...if you watched last years team on a regular basis, then youd know :facepalm:

Ironman5219
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Simply put: NO

knickerbockerny
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Im a big time Knicks fan but I don't see 50 wins in our future. The team is still a young team. The back to back games and the west coast swings will get the better of the Knicks. They basically switch Lee production with Amares, which really equals no net gain and added Felton, who is coming off his worst season.

Realistically I see 40-44 wins. The Knicks would need an all-star coming out party type of season from either Chandler or Gallinari, maybe both, and Amare also having a career MVP type of year to even think about 50 wins. These guys are going to have to really want it!

ari1013
07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
44-38 and the 7-seed.

Slimsim
07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Knicks will be fine. Some people just hating on the Knicks because their team ain't done ****.

justinnum1
07-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Your not asking about this season are you? If you want to know if the Knicks can win 50 games this season, now way. Maybe 40-45 games...which should be enough to get 7 or 8 seed.

knickerbockerny
07-27-2010, 07:12 PM
If Donnie Walsh and the Knicks would of had a better offseason 50 wins would have been somewhat realistic.

After the signing of Amare and Lebron deciding to go to Miami, the Knicks should have resigned Lee for 12 mil per.

The Knicks should have bought a late first rounder, or traded their seconds to get one, (because late first rounders where being traded like wild fire) and drafted Dominique Jones or Jordan Crawford to play the shooting guard position.

A line-up consisting of

C- Amare Stoudemire
PF-David Lee
SF- Wilson Chandler
SG- Dominique Jones
PG- Toney Douglas

6th Man Danilo Gallinari

would be better suited to make noise in the East. But whatever!

howierose
07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
50 games?? This team looks good but 50 games is a lot to ask for. I would be happy with 40, that would be good enough to get into playoffs as a 5th seed and maybe not have to play magic, celtics or heat in the 1st round

vinsanity15jp
07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
nets will win fifty before the knicks

justinnum1
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
If Donnie Walsh and the Knicks would of had a better offseason 50 wins would have been somewhat realistic.

After the signing of Amare and Lebron deciding to go to Miami, the Knicks should have resigned Lee for 12 mil per.

The Knicks should have bought a late first rounder, or traded their seconds to get one, (because late first rounders where being traded like wild fire) and drafted Dominique Jones or Jordan Crawford to play the shooting guard position.

A line-up consisting of

C- Amare Stoudemire
PF-David Lee
SF- Wilson Chandler
SG- Dominique Jones
PG- Toney Douglas

6th Man Danilo Gallinari

How were they going to buy a first round pick when they were trying to clear cap space for 2 MAX? Draft is before FA.

justinnum1
07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
50 games?? This team looks good but 50 games is a lot to ask for. I would be happy with 40, that would be good enough to get into playoffs as a 5th seed and maybe not have to play magic, celtics or heat in the 1st round

:facepalm: You think NY winning 40 games will get you the 5th seed?:eyebrow:

The following teams will likely have better records than the knicks...
-miami
-orl
-bos
-atl
-chi
-mil

NY will be fighting with 3 or 4 other teams for the 7th or 8th seed.

scutch11
07-27-2010, 07:19 PM

A line-up consisting of

C- Amare Stoudemire
PF-David Lee
SF- Wilson Chandler
SG- Dominique Jones
PG- Toney Douglas

6th Man Danilo Gallinari

i dont agree with this at all... we stockpiled a lot of assets with the lee trade and felton/mozgov signings, and a frontcourt of amar'e and lee with no turiaf to back them up would possibly be the worst defensive frontcourt of all time

Ray_R
07-27-2010, 07:20 PM
41-41 Lots of IFs

GonnaFlyNow
07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
The knicks suck

BKNets21
07-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Not 50 wins but they might sneak the playoffs.

I think a big part of it depends on the play of Anthony Randolph. If he's given the chance to shine and fills his potential, the Knicks could shock a load of people.

SouthSideRookie
07-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Guys did the Knicks just aquire Chris Paul???? please let me know asap!! link also

jusscallmez
07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
If the Knicks start the season with what they have now, then I see them winning 38-41 games. Nothing more.

Nets fan 93
07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
an above average starter in Gallo and an allstar wont even come close to 50 games imho. 40 games is more like it. they have too many role players, not enough starpower

knickerbockerny
07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
How were they going to buy a first round pick when they were trying to clear cap space for 2 MAX? Draft is before FA.

I don't know the exact numbers, but since the salary was higher than expected they would have had a extra 1-2.5 mil left over after signing two max contracts. The 20th pick makes a little less than 1.2 mil. The Knicks knew this.

I believe all along they had intentions to select Andy Rautins and Landry Fields. Rautins did play for Syracuse, Mike D's Olympic coaching buddy Jimmy Boeheim coaches there. Mike D is good for those type of favors. Anyone remembers Coach K's favorite Chris Duhon. SMH

scutch11
07-27-2010, 07:34 PM
The knicks suck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLIhckAwmM

:35 secs

knickerbockerny
07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
i dont agree with this at all... we stockpiled a lot of assets with the lee trade and felton/mozgov signings, and a frontcourt of amar'e and lee with no turiaf to back them up would possibly be the worst defensive frontcourt of all time

Look at the current Knick front court? Is that any good. Turiaf is only good in spurts, how would he react playing major minutes? Mozgov is a pure question mark as of now.

David Lee and Amare are not bad defenders. David Lee got exposed last year because of the wings he played with. Tracey McGrady and Gallinari lacked the speed to keep wings in front of them. Chris Duhon could not guard your average point guard.

That right there left David Lee with two decisions, constantly leave your man open to score while help defending at the rim, or don't always help defend so you could keep yourself from fouling out and help the Knicks out on the offensive end. Because the Knicks needed his offense he choose the second option.

A defense is only as good as there front line defenders, guards and wings.

As with Amare, I rarely seen him constantly get worked.

HeaTxRipZz
07-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Cap was already cleared for the knicks I think you probably meant to say they were saving that cap because a high first round pick would have been deducted from the cap space once announced

SouthSideRookie
07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
The Rockets are way worse off than the Knicks. Especially if Yao is done. There will be no switch in draft picks.

We will not reach our potential this year. Maybe the year after but 2 years with this young core we should really be seeing what can happen... if they are kept together. They have to rely on sharing the ball and being a cohesive TEAM.

Also people who still try and hate on Amar'e or say losing Lee and gaining Amar'e is a wash are insane or have never watched the two play. Lee does not have the ability to take over. Lee never would command a double team and open up other players. He is way worse on D than Amar'e. He is a better rebounder and any comparision but that should not even be made. Watching the two they are not on the same level.

Have you been watching the NBA lately????? Maybe if you have you would of witness how the Rockets took the Lakers to seven games in the playoffs two seasons ago without Yao for 4 of those games and how last year they had a .500 record(42-40) without Yao, in the western conference. I'll put anything on it that if the Rockets MINUS Yao play a seven game series vs the Knicks, we would still win. Its no secret that any team that has Mike D as a head coach is a team will will play NO defense, you add the fact that Amare is on the roster and it just makes it that much worse. Amare is one of the worst rebounding bigs that there is, and a bad defender. Theres a reason why the Rockets are very high on those picks we got from NY.

HeaTxRipZz
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Have you been watching the NBA lately????? Maybe if you have you would of witness how the Rockets took the Lakers to seven games in the playoffs two seasons ago without Yao for 4 of those games and how last year they had a .500 record(42-40) without Yao, in the western conference. I'll put anything on it that if the Rockets MINUS Yao play a seven game series vs the Knicks, we would still win. Its no secret that any team that has Mike D as a head coach is a team will will play NO defense, you add the fact that Amare is on the roster and it just makes it that much worse. Amare is one of the worst rebounding bigs that there is, and a bad defender. Theres a reason why the Rockets are very high on those picks we got from NY.

lol someone is getting a bit ahead of themselves.......worst rebounder but hes oddly ranked at 17th on nba.com under rebound leaders how is that possible for a bad rebounder? I also don't think a bad rebounder can average 9 a season

masalex1205
07-27-2010, 08:19 PM
nope

SouthSideRookie
07-27-2010, 08:29 PM
lol someone is getting a bit ahead of themselves.......worst rebounder but hes oddly ranked at 17th on nba.com under rebound leaders how is that possible for a bad rebounder? I also don't think a bad rebounder can average 9 a season

Why is it that he only averaged 5 reb a game in the playoffs then in most of those series, I saw the games and he basically gets dirt kicked in his face against good bigs, you can try and be as optimistic as you want to be, but alot of fans agree that the max the Knicks game him is a way overpaying for him.

knicks09
07-27-2010, 10:59 PM
nets will win fifty before the knicks will

:facepalm: You guys can't even win 15 games

JordansBulls
07-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Do they reach 50 wins?

I hope they do. I'd love to see us play them in round 1.

netsgiantsyanks
07-27-2010, 11:38 PM
:facepalm: You guys can't even win 15 games

we'll see about that.

netsgiantsyanks
07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
lol I cant believe I read through all of this but im a realist and im hoping for a 45 win season but, anything can happen. The subtraction of Harrington, House, Duhon, Jeffries, Robinson, Hughes is greater than almost all the additions. Too many black holes.

:clap: a knicks fan that actually makes sense.

NYYCowboys
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
I would be shocked if we won 50 games. I like the young core we are developing, and maybe 50 wins won't be so farfetched in 2012....

koreancabbage
07-28-2010, 12:08 AM
50 games? you guys should be expecting around a .500 record.

the Knicks aren't that good- the only thing that is decent is Amare- but vastly overrated.

Randolph and Galinari are talented but streaky and are nice complimentary players.

John Walls Era
07-28-2010, 02:28 AM
If Knicks win 50 games then give Dantoni COTY.

KnickFanSince91
07-28-2010, 03:31 AM
only if we get to play the nets 50 times...

I expect about 45 wins next season. People will realize what a lot of knicks fans have noticed about David Lee and will see that Amar'e really is much better than Lee. Felton will give us a double double and the bench will actually be productive. Of course we're going to lose games but we will win more than we flop. Anybody saying that we'll be lucky to win 30, 35 games is just talking out of their arse.

Btw...the Rockets did not look so great once Landry left and they are not in better shape than the Knicks. I'm 90% sure we will have a better record than Houston.

John Walls Era
07-28-2010, 03:38 AM

I expect about 45 wins next season. People will realize what a lot of knicks fans have noticed about David Lee and will see that Amar'e really is much better than Lee. Felton will give us a double double and the bench will actually be productive. Of course we're going to lose games but we will win more than we flop. Anybody saying that we'll be lucky to win 30, 35 games is just talking out of their arse.

Btw...the Rockets did not look so great once Landry left and they are not in better shape than the Knicks. I'm 90% sure we will have a better record than Houston.

Where did this come from? Knicks play in a much weaker conference (still).

Actually Knicks fans might see that Amare is actually much worse than Lee in the system they run. Lee is a much better facilitator and shooter.

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 03:47 AM

You just lost all credibility with that prediction, we didnt have Landry or Yao last year and in the western conference, tell me who finished with a better record than the Knicks?????????????????? Yeah I bet ya'll predicted the same thing in 94 huh!!!!!

KnickFanSince91
07-28-2010, 03:54 AM
You just lost all credibility with that prediction, we didnt have Landry or Yao last year and in the western conference, tell me who finished with a better record than the Knicks?????????????????? Yeah I bet ya'll predicted the same thing in 94 huh!!!!!

You lost all credibility if you think the Knicks from last year are anything like the Knicks going into this season. You wont have Landry and Yao (u don't really think he's going to play a full season, do u?) this season either but the Knicks have drastically improved. Knicks will be better than the Rockets. Book it.

Knicks21
07-28-2010, 03:56 AM
we'll see about that.

K Coming from a knicks fan, a little based but is Avery Johnson, Travis Outlaw, Morrow, Favors, Farmar really worth 38 games? I mean compared to the knicks you havent improved as much, which is why i find it hard to understand with your young roster how u are going to beat knicks to 50 games.

Knicks21
07-28-2010, 03:57 AM
You lost all credibility if you think the Knicks from last year are anything like the Knicks going into this season. You wont have Landry and Yao (u don't really think he's going to play a full season, do u?) this season either but the Knicks have drastically improved. Knicks will be better than the Rockets. Book it.

:clap:

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-28-2010, 03:59 AM
not a chance

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 04:06 AM

Still an average team, the only reason they will improve in wins is because of the terrible eastern conference, its easy to have improved from last year. Compare rosters and tell me the Knicks are better, you can even NOT include Yao, tell me whos better. If the Knicks are better why is it that people who know basketball agree that the Rockets are one of the deepest teams and will be a contender in the West!

KnickFanSince91
07-28-2010, 04:08 AM
Where did this come from? Knicks play in a much weaker conference (still).

It came from the fact that the rockets were slightly under .500 after the big trade and they'll prob be around there all of next season. Unless Yao gets a steel foot, they haven't improved at all, while the knicks got better at each and every position.

Actually Knicks fans might see that Amare is actually much worse than Lee in the system they run. Lee is a much better facilitator and shooter.

:laugh: I don't think you've spent much time watching David Lee actually play. Some of you cats make it seem like Lee is the Rookie of The Year and multi year All Star from the stronger conference and not the other way around. Lee was good, but not great. Amar'e is great and explosive. F--- what the stats say, the two aren't in the same league.

MacFitz92
07-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Orlando, Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Miluakee are all better than them for sure.

I wouldn't be suprised if they snuck into the playoffs, but 38-42 wins seems more likely. 50 wins is very unlikely.

The East has gotten better, but the West is still better, and if you think 50 wins is a 7-8 seed in the East you are wrong ;).

John Walls Era
07-28-2010, 04:15 AM
It came from the fact that the rockets were slightly under .500 after the big trade and they'll prob be around there all of next season. Unless Yao gets a steel foot, they haven't improved at all, while the knicks got better at each and every position.

:laugh: I don't think you've spent much time watching David Lee actually play. Some of you cats make it seem like Lee is the Rookie of The Year and multi year All Star from the stronger conference and not the other way around. Lee was good, but not great. Amar'e is great and explosive. F--- what the stats say, the two aren't in the same league.

Its not like players stop improving. I think Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin should be better.

Seasons far from beginning, so we will just wait and see if Amare is really going to lead the Knicks into the playoffs. I thought Lee was a solid player for the Knicks; not saying hes better, but he was the main facilitator for them last year.

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 04:16 AM
You're in for a Huge dissapointment with Amare, like a Knick fan posed the question," why does everyone think that Amare got a max deal and Lee didnt, theres a reason why" well I guess the Knick front office are geniuses and every other GMs are idiots huh? Ohh wait, we should give them the benefit of the doubt, afterall they are not known to give out stupid contacts!

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 04:17 AM
Its all good, I heard the same delusional garbage in 94, it doesnt suprise me.

KnickFanSince91
07-28-2010, 04:24 AM
Still an average team, the only reason they will improve in wins is because of the terrible eastern conference, its easy to have improved from last year. Compare rosters and tell me the Knicks are better, you can even NOT include Yao, tell me whos better. If the Knicks are better why is it that people who know basketball agree that the Rockets are one of the deepest teams and will be a contender in the West!

Who are these people saying they are going to be a contender? Seriously...ask yourself what have they done to become better than OKC, SA or POR? I won't take anything away from the rockets because they play tough defense and really play team basketball but be realistic...they are an average team who over achieved to 42 wins and will be average again.

Look at the current Knicks roster compared to the Rockets and look at the stats. We are the better team. I'm not saying we're going to win 50 games or even finish higher than 7th in the East but I'm saying the knicks have more talent and will win more games than the rockets. The knicks will be a playoff team and the rockets will not.

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Who are these people saying they are going to be a contender? Seriously...ask yourself what have they done to become better than OKC, SA or POR? I won't take anything away from the rockets because they play tough defense and really play team basketball but be realistic...they are an average team who over achieved to 42 wins and will be average again.

Look at the current Knicks roster compared to the Rockets and look at the stats. We are the better team. I'm not saying we're going to win 50 games or even finish higher than 7th in the East but I'm saying the knicks have more talent and will win more games than the rockets. The knicks will be a playoff team and the rockets will not.

Ariza was our main go to when the season started, when we aquired Martin in the deadline both Ariza and Brooks went back to their accustomed slots. Ariza is not a number 1 or 2 option but we were forced to use him as one because of injuries, this year hes gonna be playing the role that he played for the Lakers when played with them and this year he will just be like a 5th option if even that cause of how deep we are in every position

KnickFanSince91
07-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Its not like players stop improving. I think Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin should be better.

Seasons far from beginning, so we will just wait and see if Amare is really going to lead the Knicks into the playoffs. I thought Lee was a solid player for the Knicks; not saying hes better, but he was the main facilitator for them last year.

I like Aaron Brooks and I'm sure he'll improve. He's a good player and I respect his game. I do think Kevin Martin has hit his ceiling though. What I mean is he's good but he's as good as he's going to get. Plus dude never manages to play a full season.

The thing with Lee is that we had to run the offense through him by default. Our PG's were terrible and we had cats like Harrington and Bender having a who-can-turn-the-ball-over-shoot-bad-threes contest. :facepalm:

Lee was the number 1 option and playing for a big payday so he just put up his best career numbers. I don't see that happening for him out there in GS and now that we have better players, we won't miss him

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 04:33 AM
So I would say that considering that, we had a good season since we finished with a record above .500(42-40)

KnickFanSince91
07-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Ariza was our main go to when the season started, when we aquired Martin in the deadline both Ariza and Brooks went back to their accustomed slots. Ariza is not a number 1 or 2 option but we were forced to use him as one because of injuries, this year hes gonna be playing the role that he played for the Lakers when played with them and this year he will just be like a 5th option if even that cause of how deep we are in every position

What? :laugh:

How the hell is Ariza the 5th option when only two other cats on ur squad can score in double digits? You traded for Melo and CP3 and didn't tell anybody?

I'm gonna leave you alone after this one because you, sir, are out of your mind.

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Actually anyone from our starting 5 can go for 20 at any given time

SouthSideRookie
07-28-2010, 04:40 AM
Scola, Yao, Kmart, Brooks and Ariza, tell me, cant any one of them go for 20!, I said a 5th option IF THAT

im ur fatha
07-28-2010, 05:22 AM
no probably 2 years

knicksfan23
07-28-2010, 06:09 AM
felton
azibuke
chandler
gallo
amare

that should be the starting lineup
dont start randolph? wtf

knickfan33
07-28-2010, 06:33 AM
50...not sure.

But the east is now the stronger confernce, 40 wins may get you the 6 seed.
I haven't been this pumped for Knick basketball in a long time, I have always believed that the "Big Men" in this league win championships( last decade Shaq,Duncan,WallaceX2,Garnett,Gasol) but that being said you do need the clutch guy, and thats what the knicks are missing, they have all the weapons to upset teams, go far, but we are not going to get beyond the ECF, if we get that far.
However i do believe we are now within the top 4-6 teams in the east.

PS. the only X factor would be Gallo, if he can be that lights out shooter, that go to guy in the last postion, we have a legitimit contenders shot.... but thaty remains to be seen.

knickfan33
07-28-2010, 06:37 AM
felton
azibuke
chandler
gallo
amare

that should be the starting lineup
dont start randolph? wtf

WTF... knicks line upn early in the season will be screwed up... jsut to keep Amare happy at the PF... but once he realizes we need him at center it will change..... our best players and optimum line-up.... is
Felton/Douglas getting 20 minutes a game, even sometimes meaning him at 2
Wil/Walker
Randolph
Gallo
Amare.....

Gallo and randolph are inter-changeable in this line-up depending on matchups... but the league is built on athletic SF's these days and randolph has the speed and body to guard them.

knickfan33
07-28-2010, 06:40 AM
PS. if rautins ends up being NBA ready this season and cna give us some solid minutes at the 2, it makes us so much better, and yes i know how good Fields looks in summer league. BUT ITS SUMMER LEAGUE...and the outside shot, and clutch shot is what we are missing from that SG postion.

29$JerZ
07-28-2010, 07:28 AM
I expect 41 - 46 wins to be honest, that should ensure a 7th/8th seed.
Anyone who thinks NY didn't get better is foolish.

In
Amar'e
Felton
Randolph
Turiaf
Kelenna

Out
Lee
Duhon
Harrington
Sergio

That's a huge difference from what we had last year. 50 are for elite teams or very good offensive/teams. I say 40-46 will likely be our win total if we stay healthy and Mike stays true to his system. No more half court.

ewing
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM

They got worse defensively? Are you kidding. Thats actually were the greatest improvement is. They went from being a team with no length, little athletism, and bunch of uninspired expirings to a super long super athletic young group. The Knicks went from probably the worst shot blocking team i've ever seen in NBA to one of the better shot blocking teams in the league. They will also be able to switch all over the place. They will give up points b/c they will push push push but the D will be a lot better

Jack_Meoff
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
I think we can be an above .500 team with all the upgrades we have.....

ON ANOTHER SUBJECT, can anyone tell me what we could expect from Mozkov, the Center from St. Petersburg, Russia??

mpickup
07-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Maybe 50 games if this happens:

New York? Well the Knickerbockers may actually be able to put together the best trade of the three teams mentioned. How about some young folk, with some proven skill and some strong growth potential? Here's the package then: New Orleans receives Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Anthony Randolph, Eddy Curry's expiring deal and several future draft picks - while sending out their disgruntled all-star PG and also shedding James Posey's remaining years on his deal.

http://www.nbadaily.net/mainstory.cfm?articleid=108

The Miami Cheat
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
i would say 40-45 wins

GMEN4EVER
07-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Guys, the thread states can they win 50 games if...and lists a bunch of unlikely yet somewhat attainable projections for several players, basically saying can they win 50 if 6 guys on their team have the best season possible under some sense of realism. If that happens, absolutely they'd win 50 games. But you can say the same thing about any team that's built to be a .500 team. If everything goes right for those teams, they win 50 games or more. Right now the knicks are a .500 team, maybe slightly higher. If everything goes right this year they could win 50, but don't hold your breath on that one, they're very unlikely to reach 50 wins this season.

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I expect 41 - 46 wins to be honest, that should ensure a 7th/8th seed.
Anyone who thinks NY didn't get better is foolish.

In
Amar'e
Felton
Randolph
Turiaf
Kelenna

Out
Lee
Duhon
Harrington
Sergio

That's a huge difference from what we had last year. 50 are for elite teams or very good offensive/teams. I say 40-46 will likely be our win total if we stay healthy and Mike stays true to his system. No more half court.

I agree. With our current roster, we will be in the 40s with our wins

greek miami hea
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
They can get pretty close to it, but closer to 45 wins.

this

Demetra
07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
One word! Danillo Calinnari!
The Felton, Amare, Randolph, Azabuike addition for the Duhon, Lee, Jeffries, Hughes subtraction is a 7-10 games improvement, but this brings you up, the most, to 39 wins. It is Danillo's improvement, confidence, endurance, assertiveness and health that can make up the difference.
And to those "Knicks?" fans who trash D'Antoni......I am sorry guys but I have to inform you that your basketball IQ is the neiborhood of Stephen Marbury.

uws
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
PS. if rautins ends up being NBA ready this season and cna give us some solid minutes at the 2, it makes us so much better, and yes i know how good Fields looks in summer league. BUT ITS SUMMER LEAGUE...and the outside shot, and clutch shot is what we are missing from that SG postion.

are you seriously putting weight on rautins? he's literally the WORST player out of the entire NBA draft. he will never EVER be an NBA player, he will NEVER be a solid player. he is so horrible and I think the worst draft pick in the history of the NBA, he has zero athletisism, zero passing ability, zero ball handling ability, zero defensive IQ, gives ZERO effort on the court - he never runs, and he "has an outside shot" well guess what!? I know tons of kids on the parks in NYC knocking down shots all day, they dont miss one, but guess what THEY ARE NOT NBA PLAYERS.... that was a bit of a rant but seriously if you expect rautins to ever contribute to this team in the future or especially now, you are out of your mind. the kid sucks.

uws
07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
One word! Danillo Calinnari!
The Felton, Amare, Randolph, Azabuike addition for the Duhon, Lee, Jeffries, Hughes subtraction is a 7-10 games improvement, but this brings you up, the most, to 39 wins. It is Danillo's improvement, confidence, endurance, assertiveness and health that can make up the difference.
And to those "Knicks?" fans who trash D'Antoni......I am sorry guys but I have to inform you that your basketball IQ is the neiborhood of Stephen Marbury.

that makes no sense. Dantonis system is one of a kind, and it one of a kind sucks. Every other coach in the NBA would tell you that, but they dont talk trash on one of their own, however, i dont have that same standard. What you are saying is every NBA coach must have a low bball IQ because they havent converted to mikes system yet. gtfo

Dantoni is a cancer, he is a joke, he cant develop players, he is stubborn, and he doesnt put the best line up out on the court because of his stubborness. He also is on a power trip and has more input in the front office than any coach in the league, donnie walsh is his puppet and its ridiculous. Dantoni is a glorified offensive assistant on a power trip. Now we can get in to his offensive and defensive schemes. If you actually knew anything about basketball coaching you would know that adjustments on offense and defense are part of the game. However, dantoni doesnt do these things. He runs his system and if it doesnt work he runs it more. Since his PHX days he has been out coached by everyone he faces, especially in playoff series.\

if you think dantoni is a good coach, you are obviously the one with zero basketball IQ

Brooklyn Mets
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
i think we can get about 10 more wins this year compared to last year.. we lost a handful of close games last year that could sway in our favor this year.. we revamped our entire roster with players that fit our system.. young guys willing to SHARE the basketball unlike Harrington Nate Hughes etc

Russollini
07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
The Knicks are about an 8 seed right now.....I think a good year makes them a 6 or 7. East Pecking order will be:

1, 2 or 3 (not to start a riot lol)
Heat
Orlando
Boston
4. Atlanta
5 and 6
Bulls
Milwaukee
7. Charlotte
8. Knicks

I actually think the Cavs could sneak into the 8th spot with the Knicks going to 7 and the Cats falling out. The Cavs have a shot only because the rest of the league flat stinks and I do not see any other team really making a move.

ackar
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
i am seeing 40 to 45

Russollini
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
that makes no sense. Dantonis system is one of a kind, and it one of a kind sucks. Every other coach in the NBA would tell you that, but they dont talk trash on one of their own, however, i dont have that same standard. What you are saying is every NBA coach must have a low bball IQ because they havent converted to mikes system yet. gtfo

Dantoni is a cancer, he is a joke, he cant develop players, he is stubborn, and he doesnt put the best line up out on the court because of his stubborness. He also is on a power trip and has more input in the front office than any coach in the league, donnie walsh is his puppet and its ridiculous. Dantoni is a glorified offensive assistant on a power trip. Now we can get in to his offensive and defensive schemes. If you actually knew anything about basketball coaching you would know that adjustments on offense and defense are part of the game. However, dantoni doesnt do these things. He runs his system and if it doesnt work he runs it more. Since his PHX days he has been out coached by everyone he faces, especially in playoff series.\

if you think dantoni is a good coach, you are obviously the one with zero basketball IQ

I would not call it a Joke. It is only made for the regular season, and in the playoffs, where D matters, he has none

netsgiantsyanks
07-28-2010, 10:42 AM
K Coming from a knicks fan, a little based but is Avery Johnson, Travis Outlaw, Morrow, Favors, Farmar really worth 38 games? I mean compared to the knicks you havent improved as much, which is why i find it hard to understand with your young roster how u are going to beat knicks to 50 games.

young athletic talent=win. mike d'antoni=not win. :p

netsgiantsyanks
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM

seriously though, if it works out well, the most i can see the nets get this season is about 37-40 wins. i never said we were going to get 50 wins this season. i never said the knicks weren't going to win 50 games this season. i said we'll see about it.

chris34
07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
If all stars alligned than anything is possible but given the fact that this was a 29 win team a year ago, NY fans should be happy with 38-41 wins and the 8 seed in the east.

justinnum1
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I hope the knicks get the 8th seed...1st round Miami-NY would be nice.

GMEN4EVER
07-28-2010, 11:23 AM
People still bashing on Mike D's coaching style eh? Gatta love that one. He posted consistent 50 win seasons in a tough western conference and the man is the worst coach in the league? These past two years he had terrible players, who were not good fits with one another to boot. Plus they didn't fit in with his style of play. The past two years he was not supposed to win a lot, that changes this season. Now it's time to start getting into the playoffs.

Oh, and enough with the he doesn't care about defense. His teams in Phoenix were average to above average defensive teams, get a grip on reality. They were rated lower in total defense because of the high pace his teams played at. When you correct for pace, his team's defensive efficiencies were at or above league average most of the years he was there. They weren't great, but they weren't horrible either. In fact, the current suns team is actually worse at defense statistically.

He can only win in the regular season? Right...same goes for everyone else outside of Greg Popovich, Doc Rivers, and Jackson. 90 percent of the coaches in the league haven't won a title, it's the NBA, not the NFL. This is not a league built for parity, so only a few coaches are going to win titles. It's not Mike D's fault he went up against a great dynasty for years (spurs) and had issues beating other dominant teams in their peak years. And he had some really bad luck in losing some of those series as well.

He's not the best coach in the league, but he is a good coach. There's nothing wrong with that. And his offensive coaching abilities are borderline outstanding. Defensively he's mediocre, but hey, if he was so great at everything he probably wouldn't have ended up with the knicks two years ago anyways.

scutch11
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM

we would get smoked lol...but it would be TONS of fun seeing lebron come into the garden for two playoff games, i would love to see if the fans could get to him

ballpd05
07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
The Knicks don't have good enough guards to be a 50 win team.

RCarlson85
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Not this year, they still don't have a solid enough squad around Amare.

Mr. Koobs
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
are you seriously putting weight on rautins? he's literally the WORST player out of the entire NBA draft. he will never EVER be an NBA player, he will NEVER be a solid player. he is so horrible and I think the worst draft pick in the history of the NBA, he has zero athletisism, zero passing ability, zero ball handling ability, zero defensive IQ, gives ZERO effort on the court - he never runs, and he "has an outside shot" well guess what!? I know tons of kids on the parks in NYC knocking down shots all day, they dont miss one, but guess what THEY ARE NOT NBA PLAYERS.... that was a bit of a rant but seriously if you expect rautins to ever contribute to this team in the future or especially now, you are out of your mind. the kid sucks.

I've seen you go through similar rants about Rautins in the Knicks forum.

Did he run over your puppy or something? :p

45 wins this season.

50+ next season.

I will never understand all the hate that New York receives.

Wait, no, check that, I guess I do.

Nets fan 93
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Those are the additions we added to Lopez, Lee, and Harris. Travis will thive in this system. Ho much did the knicks really improves? getting roleplayers in turaif, Azu, and randolph. getting felton was a +. You gained Amare but you lost David AND Harrington. The nets didnt lose anyone imprtant besides yi. but we gained favors so it is all good. We got role players that actually fit in with Devin and Brook. A lot of the nets losses last season were close games, we just couldnt hit shots. we had terrible shooters like hassell or CDR. now we have Morrow, Outlaw for clutch shots. Farmar is pretty underrated too.

29$JerZ
07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Those are the additions we added to Lopez, Lee, and Harris. Travis will thive in this system. Ho much did the knicks really improves? getting roleplayers in turaif, Azu, and randolph. getting felton was a +. You gained Amare but you lost David AND Harrington. The nets didnt lose anyone imprtant besides yi. but we gained favors so it is all good. We got role players that actually fit in with Devin and Brook. A lot of the nets losses last season were close games, we just couldnt hit shots. we had terrible shooters like hassell or CDR. now we have Morrow, Outlaw for clutch shots. Farmar is pretty underrated too.

Harrington would score but took the dumbest drives/3's which costed us a lot of leads and led to losses. He is an addition through subtraction move.

Losing Lee hurts but Amar'e is more than Capable of doing a better job here than Lee.

NJ is not going to be a bad team next year, they actually hired a coach now so I expect them to compete more compared to last year but overall your biggest additions are a coach and a rookie PF even though Outlaw is a solid SF.

I don't see NJ having a better record than NY unless Harris comes back to all-star form. It wouldn't surprise me too see both teams fighting it out for the last 3 slots in the playoffs. Both have good talent and aren't as bad as they were last year.

GOON MUSIC
07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
No they can't. In the east they should but it's still a D'Antoni team meaning no defense. Just like his old Suns they'll never be able to get multiple stops when they need them.

I see them beating up on the bottom dwellers, and getting pummeled by good teams. About .500 seems fair.

yeah considering D'antoni only won 60 games twice and 54+ 2 more times

if obviously impossible for d'antoni to win 50 with his style of play

Tony_Starks
07-28-2010, 05:45 PM
yeah considering D'antoni only won 60 games twice and 54+ 2 more times

if obviously impossible for d'antoni to win 50 with his style of play

I think he won all those games with the best point guard in the league back to back MVP, a lightning fast backup pg, a couple of allstar power forwards, a "most improved player," an up and coming all star in the making shooting guard, an all defense player, and lights out 3 point shooters off the bench.

Um..... yeah, has one of those things now.......

SouthSideRookie
07-29-2010, 05:52 AM
If many are predicting the Bulls to win 50+ how the hell are the Knicks winning 50 !!!!!!!!

What?
07-29-2010, 06:37 AM
For those saying D'antoni won 50+ games a bunch of times. Thats a joke that team was the most talented team in the league. They had Joe Johnson who not a all-star yet was a very good shooter and a great defender, Nash was at the time 2 time MVP, Amar'e knees were at a 100% and no injury problems, Marion was a top 5 pf, Barbosa was a lighting fast spark off the bench, Diaw lockdown defender. Honestly you could have a monkey coach that team and they would win 50+.... Clearly that Suns team greatly underachieved with him coaching they should have one at least one championship.

As to the question knicks will win between38-42 as long as Amar'e stays healthy 45 will be over achieving 50 would be Amar'e MVP

phizics44
07-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Knicks will win 50 games. I can't speak for Chicago. I'm not impresed by the moves they made. They signed a lot of average players. I know they wish they had Stoudemire instead of Boozer. If y'all keep sleeping on the knicks we will have a better record then bulls to. I can't wait to play the bulls aned the bucks they are so overrated.

Knicks21
07-29-2010, 06:56 AM
young athletic talent=win. mike d'antoni=not win. :p

Mike D'antoni: 60 plus win twice, 54 plus win twice. Mike D'antoni=Win

What?
07-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Knicks will win 50 games. I can't speak for Chicago. I'm not impresed by the moves they made. They signed a lot of average players. I know they wish they had Stoudemire instead of Boozer. If y'all keep sleeping on the knicks we will have a better record then bulls to. I can't wait to play the bulls aned the bucks they are so overrated.

I will sig bet you right now the knicks don't win 50 games

Edit: didn't read the rest of the post I'll also throw into the bet the Bulls will win at least 5 more games then the knicks

Knicks21
07-29-2010, 06:58 AM

Bulls are good, but the BUCKS OMG are so overated they have two good players in Bogut (WOOOOOOOOOO AUSTRALIA) and Jennings. I agree as well, everybody hates the knicks and i dont know why.

Evolution23
07-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Yes the Knicks can absoloutly win 50 games this season.

1. Felton is a great Pick and Roll player, which will help lead to great production from Amare.

2. The Knicks got rid of all their black hole players. (Harington, Nate, etc..)

3. The continued development of Gallo. Getting more touches because of the lack of the black holes.

4. Randolph could easily be a double double guy plus more as he proved in the last month of the season. Hes also a good defender who is versitile and can shoot. Hes great for a D'antoni ball.

5. Good energy players like Turiaf , Azabuke and Toney Douglas will lead to great production and Defense from the bench.

All in all its more likely the Knicks will win 42-45 games but don't be so quick to take them out of the 50 win picture.

SluggeR
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
44-45 Wins would be wonderful.

Chronz
07-29-2010, 04:06 PM
i know statistically lee and amare were essentially a wash but i do think he will prove to be an upgrade. he was a better player in the 2nd half, and his athletic abilities are far superior to Lee. I think he will be a more dynamic player on both ends of the floor.

amare will probably grab a ton of rebounds, because he is going to be stranded down low. similar to bosh last season, whose rebounds spiked in large part because the other big men on the team could not bang down low. hopefully he can stay healthy.
Agreed

I do believe Amare can create his own offense but even if it's not as good as I think it is, Felton is one of the top PGs to run the pick and roll with.

As for the question, I think 50s a reach but it's certainly possible. I think we'll end up with around 45 but again anything's possible
Disagree, Felton is subpar in PnR play IMO. Hes a defensive stud and a guy you can count on in the clutch (if you believe in that sort of thing), dont know much about his intangibles but given his quickness and the pace Charlotte used to play at pre-Brown, Im assuming he can push tempo.

Still measuring a players PnR ability is sketchy analysis. I could be wrong but based on what he did in Charlotte hes only really a threat for himself, and even then hes not great. He does shoot a reasonable %(.47) but when he cant get a shot off, he turns it over 17.8% of those possessions. Considering his low assist rate thats an unacceptable figure.

High PnR are basically useless because he cant abuse defenders that go under the screen (Shot 4/6 ALL Year).

Then again it depends on your standards. I suppose hes an upgrade on say Rafer Alston.

Chronz
07-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Probably about as much as Nash's abilities will fade without Amares dual Pop/Roll abilities.

Both are one of a kind in what they do, its no coincidence they are the best PnR tandem of all-time.

Ok maybe not as much as Nash, but I dont think it would be a drastic difference. Theyve been together so long that we cant look at what Amare did before Nash showed up as a barometer.
We can look at their Player Pair #'s with a reasonable sample size. Thats a good place to start, and even then youd assume the average NBA team has a better Starter than whatever backup Amare had with him. Just dont count the years Pre-MF. That was a different Amare and my guess more dependent on Nash.

cheetos185
07-29-2010, 04:51 PM

thats if you guys get the first seed :)

vinsanity15jp
07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
the nets will win 50 before the knicks

Da Knicks
07-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Is this you Prokorof?:confused:

scutch11
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM

im pretty sure this has been said before, and its still not true

nets won 12 games, signed outlaw and petro

outlaw and petro do NOT = 38 wins...more like 3

Frankroc_MIYAYO
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Do they reach 50 wins?

The Knicks will definitely win 50 Games!

In 2 seasons. (1st = 25 Wins 2nd = 25 Wins) Go New York!

Bartlee23
07-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Is there anyone on here that is not a New York homer who actually believes that New York will win 50 games ? Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to win 50 games ? 12 teams in the NBA won 50 games or more last season and 8 of them came from the West. New York in all reality would be VERY lucky to finish .500. I don't understand where picking up Amare and a couple of very average players makes your team a 50 win team ? They would be very lucky as well to make the playoffs with the team they currently have.

effen5
07-29-2010, 06:24 PM

:facepalm:

Most people in Chicago would have had Boozer over Amare

1) Bosh
2) Boozer

3) Overpay Amare