PDA

View Full Version : Yao might quit if foot doesn't heal

PC
07-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Yao might quit if foot doesn't heal

BEIJING -- Houston Rockets center Yao Ming is considering quitting basketball after next season if he doesn't fully recover from his lingering foot injury.

In comments to Chinese state media Monday, Yao sounded far from optimistic about his future and also made a rare criticism of China's national basketball program.

"If the foot injury does not heal next season, I might choose to call it quits," he said.

Yao turns 30 in September and missed last season following foot surgery. He is set to return to the Rockets after deciding not to opt out of the final year of his five-year contract, which will pay him $17.7 million next season.

Though he has said his recovery was going well, the Rockets have signed 7-foot veteran Brad Miller to share the work at center.

Yao, who was in China for charity events and remains wildly popular in his country, all but ruled out playing in the 2012 London Olympics.

"The chance is very small," the 7-6 center was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency. "The foot injury will not allow me to play so many games anymore. Like I said before, I will quit the national team and the sport one day. It's what happens to every athlete."

Without Yao, the national team has played lackluster ball, including an embarrassing home loss to Iran in the final of the Asian Championship last year. Yao attributed the poor showings to China's focus on the 2008 Beijing Olympics and neglect of development teams and the country's professional league.

"We are paying for what we didn't do leading up to 2008. We skipped the development of a reserve team and the CBA league and focused only on the national team and the Olympics. It's like you are killing the goose that lays the golden egg," he said. "I'm 30. As an athlete, I am not the future of China basketball anymore."

Source (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5413279)

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Wow...did they have to use the word quit? He has the credibility where he can just retire. I feel bad for Yao. He was a great talent plagued by injuries.

FOBolous
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
nooo :(

uws
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
yao is awesome, i hope he doesnt quit. he's a great draw for the rockets and I think a good guy/a quality example of how to play the game

bahama0811
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
At this rate Yao won't be able to walk when he retires. His feet are so bad, you gotta feel bad for the guy.

tdunk21
07-27-2010, 12:08 PM
if yao does call it quits...will the rockets get a disabled player exception?

arkanian215
07-27-2010, 12:13 PM
No. His contract is up after this season.

Russell_Roberts
07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
mite as well grab paul and okafor

td0tsfinest
07-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Man, that sucks. Yao is truly a great player when he's not hurt. People just put too much load on the guy. Carrying both the Rockets and the Chinese National team prove to be too much.

blastmasta26
07-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Man, that sucks. Yao is truly a great player when he's not hurt. People just put too much load on the guy. Carrying both the Rockets and the Chinese National team prove to be too much.
Definitely, I feel bad for him.

GeekInThePink
07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
is the great wall of China really going to fall? :O

Russell_Roberts
07-27-2010, 12:23 PM
yao is a good player. i hate to see 7'6 go to waste. he just now found hisself and now he gone

nanablvd
07-27-2010, 12:24 PM
it's hard for tall guys to last for 10+years in the league.

jdmd3
07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Too bad. He was really a good player & a great class act. Would be nice to see him win a championship.

clehmun
07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
would people still offer him a MAX contract?
i remember arguing with some posters about how not many teams would offer yao ming another max contract at this point. i'd like to know if this article changed their opinions.

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Interesting; people have got to respect that he won't stay just for another contract and a chance to win a ring. That sucks though because I'm sure a contender would sign him just for the minimum. Class act and shoo in for the international HOF.

RocketsRule
07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
:sigh:

Hopefully he can fully recover.

20GoodTimes20
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

??? :facepalm:

To name a few; Kareem Abdul Jabaar, Shaquille O'neal, Bill Russell, Rik Smits, Mark Eaton, Chuck Nevitt, Shawn Bradley, Manute Bol...all these guys had atleast 10 years in the league and they are some of he tallest to ever play the game.

20GoodTimes20
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
^^^not to mention, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon...the list goes on. Injuries happen to and shorten the careers of players of all shapes an sizes.

Mplsman
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Tough to lose a franchise guy like him especially a former #1 pick.

20GoodTimes20
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
I'll say this..

when they are committed to the national team every year since they were 16...yes it is.

knicksfan42
07-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Yao Ming Considers Retirement Due to Foot Injury

Yao Ming's retirement from basketball might be getting close. Yao Ming discussed retirement on Monday, fearing his foot injury might be too severe for him to get back to full strength on the court. Ming had to sit out
the 2009-10 NBA season after having surgery on his foot, and it's looking like he might fear that it hasn't fully healed since then.

According to ESPN, Yao made comments to the Chinese state media on Monday that included, "If the foot injury does not heal next season, I might choose to call it quits", and "The foot injury will not allow me to play so many games anymore. Like I said before, I will quit the national team and the sport one day. It's what happens to every athlete."

This is not great news for the Houston Rockets, who have invested quite a bit of time and money into developing Yao Ming into a great NBA player. He had a couple of great years for Houston, but was only able to play in 481 games out of the eight years that he was in the NBA. That comes out to about 20 games per season that he missed (on average), and it was clear that he was getting worn out on the court.

Despite his commitments to the NBA, Yao was always willing to play for the Chinese National Team, leading them for awhile, and putting even more strain on his body over that time. This could have been a contributing factor to his body breaking down, and might get blamed for why he has been hurt so much in the end. He also isn't the only member of the Houston Rockets who was frequently injured either, as they had to suffer through the many injuries of Tracy McGrady as well.

For the 2010-11 NBA season, Yao will still be the highest-paid player on the Houston Rockets, but it will also be the final year of his current contract. His salary sits at about $17.7 million, which is more than $6 million more than the nearest salary (Kevin Martin at $11.1). Losing Yao for yet another season would be a huge negative for the Rockets, but management has been working hard at putting together a younger team that can lead them for the next few years. With players like Jordan Hill and Aaron Brooks, there is still reason to think that the Rockets will be good again without Yao.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5626970/yao_ming_considers_retirement_due_to.html?cat=14

(The article has two pages, I only posted page 1)

So what do you guys think; should Yao call it quits and retire? Also, how do the Rockets fans here feel about the possibility of Yao retiring?

wesso2008
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Man, that's really unfortunate. Yao easily is one of the top...if not THE top center in the NBA. I feel for him and the fans of Houston if he's forced to retire.

Showmeyourtds
07-27-2010, 03:13 PM
They probably don't feel too good lol. Yao is pretty much the cornerstone of that team and would've been the piece to put them as a legit contender in the west this year. I feel really bad for their fanbase because I always enjoyed a healthy Yao and what he brought to the table.

HoopsDrive
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
That's so unfortunate... a healthy Yao is easily one of the top centers in the league, quite possibly the best.

Best of luck to him, hope he can come back and play again.

SA5195
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
That sucks. And he's only 29. Damn.

ManRam
07-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow. Really sad news.

I mean, if he can't play at a level he wants to play at...well...that's always a sucky thing to deal with coping with.

Retire? I don't think he should or will. He's going to be 30 this year...he's still got some time left.

OA SLAY
07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
He has never been healthy and never accomplished anything. Sure hes a good offensive threat but who wouldnt be at 7'6, on defense he is a pylon. I hate how everyone praises this guy when he would of been another Bradley/Bol if there was any true talent at his Position. At 7'6 there is no comming back from multiple ongoing injuries. Whats there to consider give it up!

uprightciti
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
rocks on the rebuild

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
rocks on the rebuild

how so? They have a solid team right now.

Geargo Wallace
07-27-2010, 03:52 PM
man I'm gonna cry like I saw a double rainbow

truplayer199
The title of the thread is misleading.

TheWatcher34
no wonder with that kind of body. call it a career, man!

97NYer
07-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Best of luck to Yao.

jhood
07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
That's upsetting to hear - but I guess that's what happens 2 Giants

Fmaranesi
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
sucks for yao, hopefully he doesnt quit

drama1386
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
that sucks. I think it would've been nice if he could've gotten a ring before his career ended. arguably the top C in the league when 100% healthy.

Matrix3132
07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
He has never been healthy and never accomplished anything. Sure hes a good offensive threat but who wouldnt be at 7'6, on defense he is a pylon. I hate how everyone praises this guy when he would of been another Bradley/Bol if there was any true talent at his Position. At 7'6 there is no comming back from multiple ongoing injuries. Whats there to consider give it up!

Classy comments during Yao's hard times.

When healthy, Yao is a great player and more importantly, was always classy, professional, humble, and a great teammate. Best of luck to him in the future, whether he's able to play or not.

Lakersho
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
...sucks ,but at 7' 6" and all the body weight alot of strain on the feet. good luck, think you'll need it big boy. no sence in being hobble the rest of his life...

lostmymind
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
This is sad :(

OA SLAY
07-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Classy comments during Yao's hard times.

When healthy, Yao is a great player and more importantly, was always classy, professional, humble, and a great teammate. Best of luck to him in the future, whether he's able to play or not.

Im sure he will be fine. Hes not being senteced to death or reading this Fourm.

Matrix3132
07-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Im sure he will be fine. Hes not being senteced to death or reading this Fourm.

Anyone who dedicates their life to something and external factors disallow them to quit on their own terms is a mild tragedy. Of course he will be fine and never be reading this forum but I still felt like someone should call out your jacka$$ remarks.

ManOnFire
07-27-2010, 04:37 PM

remember a guy by the name of Shawn Bradley? around the same height as Yao, but nowhere near the same level....so NO....not everyone would be a threat at that height. If everyone had ur mindset of "giving it up"....u may not have ur precious Amare.:facepalm:

SouthSideRookie
07-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Im not sure what Yao you've been watching but the Yao ive been seeing is as efficient as any bigman in the league when he gets touches,not to mention hes one of the best freethrow shooters in the NBA. Did Bol and Bradley make all star games! Btw his defense is what the Rockets soarley missed last year. Theres a reason why people who know basketball are pickings the Rockets to challenge for the West now that Yao is back!

Reyes6
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I hope he continues playing. His style of play can have him playing until 40 if healthy.

Trouble87
07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
thats sad news but he played a lot of basketball for China & The Rockets.... maybe they shouldn't have let him do all the world basketball

still1ballin
07-27-2010, 04:48 PM
poor guy

nanablvd
07-27-2010, 04:49 PM
it's a humble way of saying he will try his best to prolong his career.

MrfadeawayJB
07-27-2010, 05:15 PM
This is very unfortunant. Yao Ming is a beast when healthy, but injuries with feet seem to effect bigs more than guards...good luck Yao!!!

Baller1
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Poor guy. Best of luck to him.

JPHX
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
thats tough. :(

John Walls Era
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I really hope hes healthy next year. Yaos one of those nice guys who I want to see win a ring before its all said and done.

dodie53
07-27-2010, 05:40 PM
too bad for Yao and the rox

TEXASTITAN
07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
would people still offer him a MAX contract?
i remember arguing with some posters about how not many teams would offer yao ming another max contract at this point. i'd like to know if this article changed their opinions.

He's not done yet......Theres still a scheduled meeting between the Rockets vs Lakers in this years playoffs and were reloaded for round 2 injuries or no injuries.

8kobe24
07-27-2010, 05:44 PM
There's still time, maybe that foot will heal just in time for the season and he can give it one more shot. But if not, then that sucks...always known as one of the good guys in the NBA. Good luck to him.

SC1211
07-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Guys, don't take this out of context like BSPN has done. I'm sure a reporter asked him what he would do if he re-injured his foot or he couldn't play properly, and he responded that he would probably retire if that were to happen.

NOWHERE IN THIS ARTICLE DOES IT SAY HE IS BEHIND SCHEDULE FOR HIS RECOVERY, NOR DOES IT SAY THAT HIS FOOT ISN'T HEALING.

He is on schedule to start training camp, and has been optimistic about coming back.

Don't buy into ESPN trying to make a story out of nothing.

brandt
07-27-2010, 06:28 PM
They probably don't feel too good lol. Yao is pretty much the cornerstone of that team and would've been the piece to put them as a legit contender in the west this year. I feel really bad for their fanbase because I always enjoyed a healthy Yao and what he brought to the table.

Yes, but why continue to not only frustrate himself year after year by continuing to get hurt, but the fans too? It's probably best for everyone, if he retires. He's been hurt every year since he joined the league. It will be sad to see him leave if he does. But I think every fan in any sport at one time or another, has experienced the frustration of someone getting hurt, and then their team's season suddenly being over. Him leaving will free up a lot of money for the Rockets'.

I don't think his foot is hurt again. From what I understand, he will be ready by the time the season starts. He is probably just concerned because that's like the third time that foot has gotten injured.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
actually^ he hasn't been hurt every year since 02.just the past 3.when healthy he's the most dominant big.

To the guy saying just quit.you're a moron.if everyone thought like that then the rockets would be striking out in free agency like the knicks and over pay someone like amare

The rockets have a good team and when yao plays well they will shock the world.

Its nice though to all the people hoping forthe best.thanks.we as houston fans appreciate it.well be ready this year.

RaiderLakersA's
07-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Tough break for Yao. Really was hoping to see him do well in the NBA and establish a legacy. If he chooses to retire, so be it. Given his height, he's bound to have health issues as he ages anyway. Best to walk away from the game while he can still walk and not further risk his health.

Gators123
07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Ouch, I feel bad for the guy.

BKNets21
07-27-2010, 07:24 PM
I really hope Yao can come back next year and be a 20/10 guy.

He's one of my favorite players in the league and he seems like a real nice guy off the court as well. Doesn't deserve to be this unlucky with his injuries.

Hellcrooner
07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
im sorry to hear that.I knew his role would be liited and may fall down to maybe 15 and 8 in 24 mpg but reting='? never thought it was so bad.

iggypop123
07-27-2010, 08:39 PM
why does the title say quit and not retire?