PDA

View Full Version : 25 Best Free Agents Available

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
The Free Agency thread is dead. There isn't much Free Agency news going on.

Updated: September 9, 2010

1.Allen Iverson

What can he bring? Iverson can bring you offense, whether for an entire game or in limited minutes he will be taking shots to score points for the unit hes on. Iverson brings toughness, there are few players tougher than him at his position. Iverson also brings ticket sales and interest because of his popularity.

Why is he unemployed? Iverson has been labeled a cancer. There are many questions as to whether he can accept a reserve role on any team without the chance to start. There are also questions about his knees and whether or not he can defend younger players.

Where does he fit? Charlotte(rotational starter)

2. Rasheed Wallace

What can he bring? Rasheed embodies emotional intensity and leadership in the locker room. He'll pick up 3-5 technicals a season but with him on the court he gives it his all and his teammates respond to it. Hes not the same player he once was but he can contribute on the boards as well as knocking down shots from 15 feet and further out. Hes not the greatest defender at his age, but he'll give an effort to keep up when the games matter.

Why is he unemployed? Because Rasheed is currently thinking about retirement although most suggest it seems likely he'll make his return around the All Star Break for 1 last run. Any team that Rasheed chooses to join in January or February obviously would have to be in a Playoff race because on any losing team, Rasheed can easily become a lockerroom distraction.

Where does he fit? Any team in the Playoff hunt who needs a veteran big man off the bench

3. Patty Mills

What can he bring? Mills can bring scoring in numerous ways when hes on the court. Mills can play on the ball playing fearlessly when attacking the basket despite contact, while he can also play off the ball knocking down shots. Hes still very young and can be developed going forward, which could prove to be a steal for numerous teams. Hes also a very good defender and leader as seen by his play in the 2010 FIBA World Tournament.

Why is he unemployed? Hes technically still employed, however if a team wants him enough they can sign him to an offer sheet Portland can choose to match or not. Hes trying to figure out his contract with Portland but chances are he will end up having to play in Europe do to Portland's roster size.

Where does he fit? Any NBA team that wants a young PG for the future

4. Rafer Alston

What can he bring? Alston is a floor general. When Alston is on the court he stabilizes the PG position, although he may not do it with efficient numbers. Alston is a veteran who has gotten close on several teams but has yet to win a Championship. Alston also brings toughness & leadership on the court, not a role model but he wants everyone to play hard.

Why is he unemployed? He forced his way out of 2 teams last season because he didn't like his role or where the team was going. There aren't many contending teams that need a veteran like Alston, thus the teams who could use Alston aren't going anywhere. Alston is an inefficient player.

Where does he fit? Atlanta(reserve), Golden State(reserve). Injuries have to occur on other teams for him to be signed.

5. Earl Watson

What can he bring? Watson is a high character player who can serve as a valuable veteran behind a young PG. He is a good passer, and historically he is a good shooter although the last few seasons say different.

Why is he unemployed? Veteran PG's dont get much interest, he'll be a non-newsworthy signing but he will end up helping a team as a reserve.

Where does he fit? Golden State(reserve), LA Clippers(reserve), Memphis(reserve), Atlanta(reserve), New Orleans(reserve)

6. Flip Murray

What can he bring? Murray brings a veteran presence and an undersized SG who can create his own shot although hes not an efficient scorer.

Why is he unemployed? He is well known in the NBA as a stopgap as a backup SG. He changes teams yearly because he is a replacable player, despite his production.

Where does he fit? Charlotte(reserve), Cleveland(reserve), San Antonio(reserve), New Orleans(reserve)

7. Jarvis Hayes

What can he bring? Hayes is a solid defender and has shown he can be a decent shooter at his position. Hes a consistent player who can serve as a backup SF and do his job well.

Why is he unemployed? Slow market. He hasn't been signed because teams are still evaluating their roster and whether or not they could use another veteran player.

Where does he fit? Charlotte(reserve)

8. Louis Amundson

What can he bring? Amundson has made his craft of choice based on his hustling on both offense and defense. He can give you a good effort on the boards and getting easy baskets on 2nd chance shots on offense, and on defense he can give you a good effort when defending. Amundson's career so far has been based on his good effort to do the little things which has got him from the NBDL into the NBA.

Why is he unemployed? As much as coaches love guys who hustle and do the little things to help a team win, they also expect that player to be able to do something more than that. There are few players who have been able to make a career off of doing nothing but hustling on offense and defense. Usually those hustle players have an offensive game or are shotblockers, but Amundson isnt known for either.

Where does he fit? Warriors(reserve), Hornets(reserve)

9. Earl Barron

What can he bring? Barron is a good hustle player who can grab boards and knock down the 10 footer, which he statistically takes too much. He's a 7 footer and has NBA experience having played 4 years in the league now. If his performance in limited games is a sign of what he can do in an uptempo offense, then he could be great value.

Why is he unemployed? He has been out of the league before and teams just aren't sold on him. He doesn't have a specialty that he brings other than his length at 7'0. His short stint with New York seems to be seen as a fluke with the lack of interest hes received so far. He might've outpriced himself instead of taking any offer available.

Where does he fit? Cleveland(reserve), Atlanta(reserve), Utah(reserve), Spurs(reserve)

10. Larry Hughes

What can he bring? Hughes brings versatility as a guy with a good enough handle to play PG or SG. Hughes has a reputation as being a good defender, although he earned it several years ago.

Why is he unemployed? He has struggled shooting from the field for the last several years and as a Shooting Guard that makes you an unattractive addition. He also has concerns regarding his character which earned him exits from Cleveland, Chicago, & New York as well as being bought out by Sacramento.

Where does he fit? Atlanta(reserve)

11. Rashad McCants

What can he bring? McCants can bring you instant offense at the SG position. McCants has 3 point range but also has the ability to create his own shot. McCants is tough and although he has a reputation for being a poor defender he has shown glimpses of being a good defender if he works at it.

Why is he unemployed? He has a reputation as being a low character player. The perception is that his attitude has gotten him out of the NBA, and a recent ESPN The Magazine (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5383373&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5383373) article sheds some light on it. He has a reputation for being a blackhole on offense that sacrifices offensive sets for him to take shots.

Where does he fit? Golden State(reserve), Charlotte(reserve)

12. Adam Morrison

What can he bring? Morrison can bring you a lot of different things on offense, however he hasn't been able to show it enough in the last 2 seasons with the Lakers. Morrison has had good workouts with several NBA teams where he has shown a great shooting touch. If Morrison learns how to knock down open shots in a NBA game, he can be a good role player.

Why is he unemployed? He hasn't played much in the last 2 seasons in which hes won 2 NBA Championships. Morrison has struggled to transition to the NBA game from college, but in his defense he hasn't gotten much of a chance to improve in game.

Where does he fit? Golden State(reserve), Washington(reserve), Cleveland(reserve)

13. Josh Boone

What can he bring? Boone's best asset is his length. He has shown he can be a productive rebounder as well as a guy who can get putbacks. His length helps him on defense, hes not a great defender but he can disrupt shots when hes around the basket. He showed a lot of promise a few years ago but if he improves his jumpshot he can turn his career around.

Why is he unemployed? Hes a long player with a good wingspan but hes also soft. Hes not a good defender on the NBA level, and that comes to hurt your chances at finding a job. Teams might be worried that hes already topped out as a player, he'll be 26 this year and has had 2 mediocre seasons as a reserve on bad Nets teams. Hes also a horrible FT shooter, which makes him a liability on offense when hes not getting assisted passes to finish at the basket.

Where does he fit? Any team in need of a 6th big man.

14. Jerry Stackhouse

What can he bring? Stackhouse sat 1/2 of the NBA season out before signing a contract with the Milwaukee Bucks where he found his way into their rotation not too long after signing. Stack isn't the same player he once was but he can still put up points on offense with his shooting range and ability to create his own shot. He also can bring a veteran leadership role on any team, he could use the opportunity to transition into an assistant coach while helping young guys on the team improve.

Why is he unemployed? Hes 35 almost 36 years old and although he'd help a young team, he'd also take away a roster spot or minutes for a young guy with more potential. He also is a liability on defense due to his age and lack of lateral agility currently.

Where does he fit? Sacramento(reserve), Washington(reserve), LA Clippers(reserve), Memphis(reserve)

Any suggestions on guys to add?

Jonathan2323
07-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I want Eddie House for the HEAT. He would be deadly on the HEAT.

dnewguy
07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Alston @ no 7? Give me a break.

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Alston @ no 7? Give me a break.

Sounds like an angry Heat fan. You don't like Smush Parker either, right? :cool:

XxigglesphanxX
07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
i think if von waffer gets signed to a team he will be a big surprise i have always loved that guy

J_M_B
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I would love Eddie House, but he's looking for more than the minimum.

netsgiantsyanks
07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
i thought cuttino mobley retired??

heattiltheend94
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Von Wafer was great before he left over seas. Would love to have him. Would like to have House, but I'm being realistic

Jewelz0376
07-26-2010, 04:23 PM
The Heat need to stop messin around and SIGN AI!!!...He's better than that bum Arroyo

XxigglesphanxX
07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Von Wafer was great before he left over seas. Would love to have him. Would like to have House, but I'm being realistic

i wouldnt. he seems like he could do what delonte west did to lebrons mom all over. thats why we got rid of beasley remember! lol

heattiltheend94
07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
i wouldnt. he seems like he could do what delonte west did to lebrons mom all over. thats why we got rid of beasley remember! lol

lol. If we sign him for the minimum, shouldn't be problem. If he messes around we could cut him like we did with Alston

XxigglesphanxX
07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
lol. If we sign him for the minimum, shouldn't be problem. If he messes around we could cut him like we did with Alston

i dont even wanna take that chance lol

Brooklyn Mets
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
roger mason would be a good pick up for the bobcats after losing felton
and this list is terrible by the way

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 04:43 PM
roger mason would be a good pick up for the bobcats after losing felton
and this list is terrible by the way

Thanks.

After I got to 10 I said what the **** am I doing.:laugh2:

TheWatcher34
07-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Adam Morrison the TWO time NBA CHAMPION !!!!!

Caino
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
The Heat need to stop messin around and SIGN AI!!!...He's better than that bum Arroyo

Heat wouldn't want a ball handler like A.I

Brooklyn Mets
07-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks.

After I got to 10 I said what the **** am I doing.:laugh2:

haha i liked the last comment about starbury though

LA_Raiders
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Shaq no team, dang I feel for him, He can come to LA for vets min and come off the bench...

Jewelz0376
07-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Heat wouldn't want a ball handler like A.I

uhhh I don't really understand that post?? A ball handler like AI???

XxigglesphanxX
07-26-2010, 05:58 PM
uhhh I don't really understand that post?? A ball handler like AI???

he would want to take alot of shots and probably lose us some games

magichatnumber9
07-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Very well put together Rowe, I know this took some work.

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 06:04 PM

AI doesn't fit on the Heat anyways unless you're solely talking about the 2nd unit. He would be great as a 6th Man, a guy who carries the 2nd unit while the starters rest. He may not be the same player he once was, but whenever hes on the court he still can bring energy & opposing players still respect his game. AI, Kobe, & Shaq are the "Jordans" of this era of players coming into the NBA. How does some guy born in 1990 know everything about Jordan when they didn't live through it to see it firsthand? These guys coming into the league grew up watching Shaq/Kobe/AI dominate the league in the 2000's.

mikantsass
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Dam what happened to McCants? I thought the guy was gonna be good!

1-4 would be the best FA class in history if this was 2002

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Very well put together Rowe, I know this took some work.

Im bored as ****. When I find something to do, I'm going to look back on me taking the time to do this and :facepalm:

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Dam what happened to McCants? I thought the guy was gonna be good!

1-4 would be the best FA class in history if this was 2002

McCants took himself out of the league. I think McCants/JR Smith/Ben Gordon are on the same level as a player, but McCants' attitude has held him back. He had a chance in Summer League for Cleveland(I might be wrong) and missed out on it without telling them he wasn't going to show up.

Just looking at the NBA it seems like attitude on the court is worse than behavior off the court.

Jewelz0376
07-26-2010, 06:12 PM

When he was in Philly he shot 11 times a game...I don't consider that alot of shots on a Philly team with limited offense..

Klivlend
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
i thought cuttino mobley retired??

He did. And, the article says that. He retired due to health concerns (heart). He is trying to make a comeback. Did you read the post? It's all there.

Duncan = Donkey
07-26-2010, 10:33 PM
lol, what a terrible list.

Lou Amundson should be on the list somewhere between 9-13.

Duncan = Donkey
07-26-2010, 10:35 PM
actually its a good list. Lou however should definetley be in the 9-13 area.

Lake_Show2416
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
shaq no team, dang i feel for him, he can come to la for vets min and come off the bench...

indeed!!

koreancabbage
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
i like how possible teams are all the contenders LOL

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
i like how possible teams are all the contenders LOL

The bad teams roll with young talent over vets. Thats the way the league works.

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
lol, what a terrible list.

Lou Amundson should be on the list somewhere between 9-13.

actually its a good list. Lou however should definetley be in the 9-13 area.

Honestly, what team(s) do you see Amundson helping?

There is no market for undersized hustle C's.

Mikey Roxx
07-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Amundson could realistically help out any team; they'd just have to play him to his strengths. No, he's not the most efficient on offense (although with the right distributing...), but if you need someone to bring energy, play hard defense, block, and grab rebounds, Lou's your man.

Duncan = Donkey
07-27-2010, 12:13 AM

His not a center. He is a PF who can play center.

To answer your question though. Lou could help every team in the league. He's a a good defender, great shot blocker, good rebounder, high energey/great locker room guy. Who wouldnt want a guy like that?

So there's no market for a guy like Lou, someone who was an important peice to a WCF Fianls team. But there is a market for Earl Barron, Kwame Brown, Josh Powell, Cutino Mobley, Marbury and Adam Morrison. Come On.

OA SLAY
07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Amundson could realistically help out any team; they'd just have to play him to his strengths. No, he's not the most efficient on offense (although with the right distributing...), but if you need someone to bring energy, play hard defense, block, and grab rebounds, Lou's your man.

The Chicago Jazz should have a look at him if they have any $$$ remaining

iFYouSeekAmy
07-27-2010, 01:03 AM

:confused:

------------

I'd love to see Von Wafer back.

NBA-GMaster
07-27-2010, 07:33 AM
You forgot these guys Josh Boone,Louis Amundson,Jerry Stackhouse, Michael Finley,Rodney Carney, Ime Udoka,Joey Graham,Damien Wilkins, Mikki Moore, Fabricio Oberto, Collins' brothers, Chris Quinn, Marcus Williams(PG),Sasha Pavlovic,and Kyrylo Fasenko(will sign w/ Jazz)..

NBA-GMaster
07-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Teams with a salary cap to sign those players:
Kings 17M, Nets 14M, Wolves 13M, Clippers 9M, Thunder 8M, Cavs 8M, Bulls 7M, Knicks 4M..

NBA-GMaster
07-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I would like to see Tmac,Shaq and AI play to a contender team(s) this upcoming season..
Tmac = Bulls,Celtics,Heat,Lakers,Magic or Thunder..
Shaq = Celtics,Hawks,Mavs or Spurs..
AI = Blazers,Heat,Lakers, or Nuggets..

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Helck of a comeback R O W E...nice thread.

Steelers23_06
07-27-2010, 08:19 AM
shaq as number one give me a break! i would rather have josh howard anyday. one thing i did like about the list was hughes on the celtics i think he would be a wayyyy better fit than shaq. and i hope tmac goes to the heat he deserves a ring so fricken bad u kno.

RelaxedFan
07-27-2010, 09:37 AM
How long till Adam Morrison ends up with the Wolves and Darko/Beasly?

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
How long till Adam Morrison ends up with the Wolves and Darko/Beasly?

Is this an attempt at saying Beasley is a bust, because he surely isn't right now.

Heater4life
07-27-2010, 10:03 AM

:laugh2:

Never thought about it, your right!

JOSKOMANG4
07-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Earl Watson signed with the Bulls?? Or is that CJ Watson? ehh

JOSKOMANG4
07-27-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm big on Josh Howard prediction to the Hornets!

C) Okafur
PF) West
SF) Peja
SG) J.Howard
PG) CP3

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Earl Watson signed with the Bulls?? Or is that CJ Watson? ehh

CJ watson

iam brett favre
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
:puke:
shaq at #1? really? i wouldnt take him on veteran minimum

HouRealCoach
07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Adam Morrison to the Warriors!

R_O_W_E
07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
:puke:
shaq at #1? really? i wouldnt take him on veteran minimum

Shaq is #1 because realistically hes the only guy who can come in and make an immediate impact wherever he goes. Size is very important in the NBA and he could bolster a teams front line. Howard and T-Mac would be the obvious #1/#2 if they weren't injured.

R_O_W_E
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
His not a center. He is a PF who can play center.

To answer your question though. Lou could help every team in the league. He's a a good defender, great shot blocker, good rebounder, high energey/great locker room guy. Who wouldnt want a guy like that?

Because he is the most replacable type of player in the NBA. An undersized hustle guy is a position that can be duplicated every draft. Lou doesn't have an offensive game, you're expecting him to transition from being a hustle player in an uptempo offense to finding a job as a hustle player on a team that plays at a different pace. That just doesn't happen. If Lou had any sort of offensive game to rely on, he would've been signed.

So there's no market for a guy like Lou, someone who was an important peice to a WCF Fianls team. But there is a market for Earl Barron, Kwame Brown, Josh Powell, Cutino Mobley, Marbury and Adam Morrison. Come On.

Yes.

Josh Powell just signed today with Atlanta. He barely played in LA, but he has shown he has a better offensive game than Amundson. That means he, unlike Amundson can project to either a slow half court game built around establishing the post or in an uptempo offense. If Amundson was as valuable as you are suggesting him to be, the Suns wouldn't have drafted not just 1 but 2 guys to take his minutes in the front court.

Hes an undersized hustle guy. There was a reason hes been stuck in the NBDL until Phoenix gave him an opportunity, its because he is not skilled enough to play in the NBA at his size. Hustle guys are great, but teams replace them easily. Often times teams sign young hustle bigs with the hope they develop on offense. Im not saying Lou is a bad player, I'm just saying in this league built around size he has a low chance of finding steady work in the league. This is why Lou isn't listed. This is why Singleton isn't listed either. Lou might even get a contract, but I doubt he will get any significant minutes this season.

R_O_W_E
08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
bump.

stejay
08-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Delonte West to the Heat.... pleeeeaaaasssseee lol

MTLGW
08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
i think rasheed wallace will be a good fit for the lakers. He could be that robert horry type player and hit the critical three's and lakers will not always rely on kobe to take those critical shots. Its too predictable for Kobe to take the last shot and hence defenders always swarm at him when he takes the last shot. With wallace and kobe, you will have two dangerous threats when taking the critical last second shot.

stejay
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
i think rasheed wallace will be a good fit for the lakers. He could be that robert horry type player and hit the critical three's and lakers will not always rely on kobe to take those critical shots. Its too predictable for Kobe to take the last shot and hence defenders always swarm at him when he takes the last shot. With wallace and kobe, you will have two dangerous threats when taking the critical last second shot.

except, where would he play? We have enough backups, unless Walton leaves, frees up room for a salary, and Rasheed comes, leaving Odom to fill in at backup SF.... I dont know. All I do know is, unless Walton leaves, I wouldnt have Rasheed anywhere near LA.... Add to that he has retired... doesnt look too good for the old prediction

R_O_W_E
08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
except, where would he play? We have enough backups, unless Walton leaves, frees up room for a salary, and Rasheed comes, leaving Odom to fill in at backup SF.... I dont know. All I do know is, unless Walton leaves, I wouldnt have Rasheed anywhere near LA.... Add to that he has retired... doesnt look too good for the old prediction

Yeah I dont see him going to the Lakers anytime soon. They still have Caracter as well.

If a team like Charlotte is making a run it would be a great fit.

Venomous88
08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Soon it will be time to add Dampier to that list.

stejay
08-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah I dont see him going to the Lakers anytime soon. They still have Caracter as well.

If a team like Charlotte is making a run it would be a great fit.

Exactly, thats what I was getting at. Plus, he wont be going nowhere... he retired.

R_O_W_E
08-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Soon it will be time to add Dampier to that list.

Yep.

Size matters in the NBA. Dampier definetly will be up there, he can add some depth to someones front court. Probably Miami.:D

R_O_W_E
08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Exactly, thats what I was getting at. Plus, he wont be going nowhere... he retired.

He hasn't officially retired. Hes in semi-retirement.

Same thing has happened with other guys like Webber & PJ Brown to name recent ones.

MiamiWadeCounty
08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Yep.

Size matters in the NBA. Dampier definetly will be up there, he can add some depth to someones front court. Probably Miami.:D

sheed could be a nice fit for the toward the end for the heat. he is better and has more experience than big z. the problem is that their are already like 4 centers for us.

NBA-GMaster
09-01-2010, 12:15 AM
I would love to see Sheed on Pistons.. and AI to Charlotte..

Celtic AL
09-01-2010, 02:59 AM
the c's are concidering signing Larry Huges but also looking to give Tony Gaffney a shot st the final roster spot

Celtic AL
09-01-2010, 03:00 AM
sheed could be a nice fit for the toward the end for the heat. he is better and has more experience than big z. the problem is that their are already like 4 centers for us.

i dont see it

Celtic AL
09-01-2010, 03:11 AM
As for Von wafer he will be a solid signing for the c's

asandhu23
09-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Warriors are trying to get Amundson. He was supposed to sign last week but :shrug:

Celtic AL
09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Cross Dwest from the list!

R_O_W_E
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Here we go.

Updated.

IHeartNY
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I just realized Morrison got NBA Champion twice, by just doing ... yeah, nothing. What a life ...