PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Looking Forward to Free Agency Next Season

JordansBulls
07-26-2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2010/07/25/pacers_banking_on_big_moves_next_summer/?page=full

Free Agents 2011 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11)

Now that “The Decision’’ is done and the five teams that maneuvered salary cap space the past few years to attract premium free agents have nearly finished retooling, Pacers president Larry Bird can prepare for next summer, when his club will be nearly $33 million under the cap.

Bird had hoped his club would luck out in the lottery, looking to change the fortunes of the franchise based on a ping-pong ball. The Pacers were bad enough to land in the lottery but never fortunate enough to land a top pick.

So they selected Fresno State swingman Paul George and then perhaps consummated the steals of the draft with second-round picks Magnum Rolle and Lance Stephenson, given their performances in the Orlando Summer League.

Along with Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, and Tyler Hansbrough, Bird has compiled a talented young core, and next summer the plan is to add a big-name free agent to erase the stigma of the “Brawl at the Palace,’’ which has lingered over the organization for six years.

xmoney328
07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
They are going to over pay for a couple of role players...nobody want to go to Indiana it's boring up their!

Hawkeye15
07-26-2010, 03:46 PM
well most their team is expiring haha, so why wouldn't they be?

S-Dot
07-26-2010, 03:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

Looking at the 2011 side of this link, past Carmelo Anthony, I don't see any "Big" names as far as franchise players. It will be tough for them though I did like the days when Indiana was competing in the playoffs.

mikantsass
07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
They are going after Scalabrine and Adam Morrison. They will then look to acquire Luke Walton, Kirk Hinrich and Luke Harangody.

heattiltheend94
07-26-2010, 04:09 PM
The free agency class of 2011 is great for perfecting rosters, but not rebuilding them.

justinnum1
07-26-2010, 04:12 PM
They should have got lawson.

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 04:12 PM
They are going to over pay for a couple of role players...nobody want to go to Indiana it's boring up their!

This. That is the plan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

Looking at the 2011 side of this link, past Carmelo Anthony, I don't see any "Big" names as far as franchise players. It will be tough for them though I did like the days when Indiana was competing in the playoffs.

Oden
Horford
Conley

I've said this before, but I actually see all 3 ending up as Indiana Pacers next summer. Nothing scares a team more than a small market NBA team who has to overpay young talent in order to sign a "big time" Free Agent.

I see Indiana going "all in" throwing large contracts at each and sitting back to see if Portland, Memphis, or Atlanta will be able/willing to match.

The ChILL
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
They are going after Scalabrine and Adam Morrison. They will then look to acquire Luke Walton, Kirk Hinrich and Luke Harangody.

haha that was priceless...

JordansBulls
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
The sad thing about the Pacers is the best players they ever had were Reggie Miller, Rik Smits, Mark Jackson, Old Chris Mullin, Jermaine O'neal and Ron Artest.
Pretty much never a top 5 player in the league.

boolish
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
free agents are not looking forward to Indiana.

R_O_W_E
07-26-2010, 06:01 PM
The sad thing about the Pacers is the best players they ever had were Reggie Miller, Rik Smits, Mark Jackson, Old Chris Mullin, Jermaine O'neal and Ron Artest.
Pretty much never a top 5 player in the league.

Yep. That also works in their favor because they've never been so bad in which they are put in the position to get one.

It seems like the only way to get a Top 5 player in the league is to be soo bad at one point that they fall into your lap in the top 5 picks.

JordansBulls
07-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Yep. That also works in their favor because they've never been so bad in which they are put in the position to get one.

It seems like the only way to get a Top 5 player in the league is to be soo bad at one point that they fall into your lap in the top 5 picks.

True. Like the Bulls the year before MJ came had the 2nd worst record in the league.

Stunner
07-26-2010, 07:59 PM
I want Danny Granger off the Pacers smh. He should go to the Bulls no homer. He would be a good fit on that team.

dynasty69
07-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I want Danny Granger off the Pacers smh. He should go to the Bulls no homer. He would be a good fit on that team.

every good player should go to the bulls no homer

Jaji
07-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Reggie was my man! IDK if he was a top 5 player or not but I'd be glad to have him on any team. He guaranteed you had a chance to win every game.

ldc62
07-26-2010, 08:10 PM
They certainly shouldn't be looking forward to this season...

Stunner
07-26-2010, 08:11 PM
every good player should go to the bulls no homer

haha funny Knicks, C's,Lakers he would be good on those teams as well, mos def B-Town him and Rondo.

Mplsman
07-26-2010, 08:14 PM
What does (ETO) mean next to unrestricted free agents?

MrfadeawayJB
07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
early termination option?

smith&wesson
07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
who would they get ? that would make them that much better ?

valade16
07-27-2010, 04:09 AM
This. That is the plan.

Oden
Horford
Conley

I've said this before, but I actually see all 3 ending up as Indiana Pacers next summer. Nothing scares a team more than a small market NBA team who has to overpay young talent in order to sign a "big time" Free Agent.

I see Indiana going "all in" throwing large contracts at each and sitting back to see if Portland, Memphis, or Atlanta will be able/willing to match.

Short of something north of a 5 year $60 million contract, I can't see you prying Oden away from the Blazers, he means a ton to our organization and resurgence hopes...

The Panch
07-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Short of something north of a 5 year $60 million contract, I can't see you prying Oden away from the Blazers, he means a ton to our organization and resurgence hopes...

I dont see Oden going to the Pacers, because they have Roy Hibbert at center,and he has proved he can be as good as Oden. I wouldn't mind them paying a little bit more than Tony Parker is worth, we need a point guard. Also wouldn't mind signing Kenyon Martin.

JordansBulls
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Yes he would be a good fit, but it would cost a lot.

IndyFan
07-27-2010, 09:37 AM
pacers have one more thing going for them with the cap space after this season. the NBA CBA is being renegotiated. when it is settles, it is a pretty good bet the amount for player salaries [ie the salary cap] will go down. and it sounds like it will be a hard cap. that means more players available as teams cut salary and fewer bidders. also no bird rights, MLE, BAE and matching for RFA only if you have cap space.

none of these things have to happen. but if the cap is lowered, some of them will happen. teams that have cap space will have a chance to cash in on some bargains.

hopefully. :laugh2:

JordansBulls
07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
pacers have one more thing going for them with the cap space after this season. the NBA CBA is being renegotiated. when it is settles, it is a pretty good bet the amount for player salaries [ie the salary cap] will go down. and it sounds like it will be a hard cap. that means more players available as teams cut salary and fewer bidders. also no bird rights, MLE, BAE and matching for RFA only if you have cap space.

none of these things have to happen. but if the cap is lowered, some of them will happen. teams that have cap space will have a chance to cash in on some bargains.

hopefully. :laugh2:

What do you think they should do with Granger?

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
What do you think they should do with Granger?

In all honesty, if they're having a rough season, I would look to trade him by the deadline. I don't feel a team can win with him as their #1 option. He's a really good player, but not a great one. I wouldn't put him in the same category as small forwards like Melo, LBJ, and KD.

twplanck41
07-28-2010, 09:21 AM
In all honesty, if they're having a rough season, I would look to trade him by the deadline. I don't feel a team can win with him as their #1 option. He's a really good player, but not a great one. I wouldn't put him in the same category as small forwards like Melo, LBJ, and KD.

No but he is on the tier just below them.

twplanck41
07-28-2010, 09:23 AM
They'll never do it because of the negative image and because he would be closer to the trouble he has been linked to, but Zach Randolph would be a good choice for them. He has matured a lot since he was with the Blazers, Clippers, and Knicks.

Bird will never do it because I don't think he wants the chance of Z-bo being closer to home and closer to the men he has supposedly supplied houses, cars, and money for drug dealing to.

BKNets21
07-28-2010, 09:58 AM
We've already seen teams save cap room and then strike out in the FA and end up overpaying role players.

I think that could be Indiana next year. I can't see many players leaving there team saying "I wanna go and play for the Pacers".

R_O_W_E
07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
They'll never do it because of the negative image and because he would be closer to the trouble he has been linked to, but Zach Randolph would be a good choice for them. He has matured a lot since he was with the Blazers, Clippers, and Knicks.

Bird will never do it because I don't think he wants the chance of Z-bo being closer to home and closer to the men he has supposedly supplied houses, cars, and money for drug dealing to.

Zach hasn't matured at all. What are you talking about? Hes playing for a contract. Once he gets an extension/new contract hes going to start being a ******* once again.

R_O_W_E
07-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I dont see Oden going to the Pacers, because they have Roy Hibbert at center,and he has proved he can be as good as Oden. I wouldn't mind them paying a little bit more than Tony Parker is worth, we need a point guard. Also wouldn't mind signing Kenyon Martin.

Hibbert isn't a starting C in the NBA. Sorry to break it to you, hes a solid player but hes not starter caliber.

Why? His size. Hes big, but he is embarrassingly slow. Hes the type of guy you bring off the bench to change the pace, then establish him down low.

Brooklyn Mets
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Paul George, Magnum Rolle, Lance Stephenson, Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, and Tyler Hansbrough are all really good young players who unfortunately have to play in Indiana because they got drafted there.. i just cant see any big name superstars going there especially if a large market team if interested in them as well..

JordansBulls
07-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Paul George, Magnum Rolle, Lance Stephenson, Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, and Tyler Hansbrough are all really good young players who unfortunately have to play in Indiana because they got drafted there.. i just cant see any big name superstars going there especially if a large market team if interested in them as well..

They need a mega star to draft who turns the franchise around.

S-Dot
07-29-2010, 08:26 AM
They need a mega star to draft who turns the franchise around.

Do most people agree that Danny Granger can't be the #1 option on this team for them to succeed?

JordansBulls
07-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Do most people agree that Danny Granger can't be the #1 option on this team for them to succeed?

IMO he is a lesser version of Scottie Pippen and he even wears the same number