PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea: Choo for Romero

hlhiii
07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Just an idea. Choo can play RF and Snider can move to left. Bautista takes 3rd if he stays. It gives us a good 1-2 punch with escobar and choo. Both with good speed, power and OBP. I know a lot of people are high on Romero but his career whip is 1.43 and he wears down as the season goes along. We might have to add someone to sweeten the deal, perhaps an emaus or d'arnaud. This is just an idea I had so don't kill me for it if you dont like.

BlueJayCarter
07-25-2010, 07:19 PM
I would not want to trade Romero first off. He is young and he has alot of talent already, and has not reached his full potential. I would trade Marcum and possibly Emaus for Choo but not D'Arnaud as (he is from Halladay trade: needs to get better than A level).

I would probably want one or two prospects from Cleveland as well before I pulled the trade.

Marcum, Emaus

Choo + prospect or two.

idrinkpepsi
07-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Choo is 28 and is required for some military service:

South Korea has mandatory military service for men and Choo is required to serve about 2 years before he turns 30 in 2012. The government gives de-facto waivers to athletes by requiring them only to serve 4-week long basic military training under limited circumstances, which Choo missed several times. In addition, the South Korean government does not allow an individual to give up their citizenship to avoid military service.

as per Choo's wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-Soo_Choo#Military_Service)

Romero is 25 and still has some potential, I wouldn't even do that straight up without Travis D'Arnaud or Emaus. I mean sure the service is not a big deal but he is three years older then Romero and at a position that we have sort of locked in for a little while (Lind, Lewis, Snider, Wells, prospects) It's not worth it in my opinion.

B2theRY
07-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Just an idea. Choo can play RF and Snider can move to left. Bautista takes 3rd if he stays. It gives us a good 1-2 punch with escobar and choo. Both with good speed, power and OBP. I know a lot of people are high on Romero but his career whip is 1.43 and he wears down as the season goes along. We might have to add someone to sweeten the deal, perhaps an emaus or d'arnaud. This is just an idea I had so don't kill me for it if you dont like.

Sounds like youre a cleveland indians fan.

I wouldnt do that deal.
The jays will have money
and when the time is right you buy your hitters.

nithanyo
07-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I wouldnt touch romero as we dont have much good proven pitching contrary to popular belief.

If we were to get Choo i would send gregg off to south korea for the military service in place of Choo lol

ramz.n
07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
I wouldnt touch romero as we dont have much good proven pitching contrary to popular belief.

If we were to get Choo i would send gregg off to south korea for the military service in place of Choo lol

they do kind of look similar

idrinkpepsi
07-25-2010, 08:14 PM

:laugh:

Macedonian
07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Just an idea...
2010 Blue Jays Trade Idea Thread (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430568)

The Slave
07-25-2010, 11:51 PM
No thanks. Choo isn't bad but Romero is more valuable to us going forward.

The_905
07-26-2010, 12:20 AM
The most ridiculous trade idea i have ever heard in my life. What is wrong with you? This is clearly a joke..

hlhiii
07-26-2010, 01:44 AM
No this is not a joke. Choo is one of the most underrated players in the game just look at his stats. Having thought about it and read your responses, I would do this deal straight-up Romero for Choo without question. Romero to me is a good pitcher but not a number 1 ace. Personally, I think he's a 3 right now with a chance to be a 2. Choo is a .300/.390/.490 hitter. We don't have a single one of those on our team. But the Sox and Yanks have about 10 of them combined. Take a look at this line-up for next season.

SS Escobar
RF Choo
3B Bautista
CF Wells
DH Lind
LF Snider
2B Hill
1B Wallace
C Arencibia

BlueJayFanDan
07-26-2010, 02:09 AM
I would not trade Romero for many outfielders and Choo is definitely not on the list of outfielders I would be willing to get in return for Romero.

The Slave
07-26-2010, 02:38 AM
No this is not a joke. Choo is one of the most underrated players in the game just look at his stats. Having thought about it and read your responses, I would do this deal straight-up Romero for Choo without question. Romero to me is a good pitcher but not a number 1 ace. Personally, I think he's a 3 right now with a chance to be a 2. Choo is a .300/.390/.490 hitter. We don't have a single one of those on our team. But the Sox and Yanks have about 10 of them combined. Take a look at this line-up for next season.

SS Escobar
RF Choo
3B Bautista
CF Wells
DH Lind
LF Snider
2B Hill
1B Wallace
C Arencibia

Ricky is a very talented pitcher who is still touching his potential. He's got higher upside than a number 2, but that's just my opinion. I think calling him a number 2 is safe, but he's a consistent change up away from possibly becoming a number 1.

Choo is certainly talented, but he's not worth giving up a potential top of the rotation lefty for.

statquo
07-26-2010, 02:50 AM
how about we don't trade romero.

Lawtonis
07-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Although this seems like a ridiculous trade idea........ Choo is a nice little player but not worth one of the most valuable players ( age+skill+potential) . Also, due to the fact Choo might have to go into the military in South Korea, it makes him one of the least tradeable players around. Moreover, with the increased tensions between north and south korea and the US intervenstion.......... Choo might get the call for arms soon.....

I give you props in taste in baseball players, but a wtf??? for trading romero.....

mike_noodles
07-26-2010, 08:30 AM
I like Choo, but not for Romero. If we could package up a couple of or other pitching prospects that the tribe were interested in then maybe. For example, if we were able to give up two of Purcey, Rzepcinski, Mills, Ray.

Big Hurt
07-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I like Choo, but not for Romero. If we could package up a couple of or other pitching prospects that the tribe were interested in then maybe. For example, if we were able to give up two of Purcey, Rzepcinski, Mills, Ray.

So if we were to give up say 2 minor league low ceiling guys you would be OK in receiving an all star OF talent?
I wonder if Cleveland would be so inclined?

The_905
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM

SS Escobar
RF Choo
3B Bautista
CF Wells
DH Lind
LF Snider
2B Hill
1B Wallace
C Arencibia

Our OF is more then adeqaute as is, especially with Snider on his way back up, so why would we trade our most vauable asset for a position that is pretty much locked up?

hlhiii
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't think the OF is locked up at all. Snider still has to prove himself in the majors and Bautista is not a guarantee.

I think a lot of people are overrating Romero. I think he's good but no way do I think he'll be an ace. I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Asham
07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
instead of Romero lets give them Drabek

broncosfan_101
07-26-2010, 05:09 PM
If Boras isn't Choo's agent, and there was no issue of military service, this is a no-brainer. Especially with our starting pitching being as deep as it is throughout the system. Because of those 2 things, I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger, but make no mistake guys, Choo's a borderline top 10 OF in the game today.

Twitchy
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Choo's a terrific player but I wouldn't trade Romero for him. Romero's been a top 15 pitcher this year, and I'd go as far as to say he's been the 6th best guy in the AL.

When you figure in age, club control, and productivity, Romero's the better player. Young, cheap, top of the rotation pitchers are significantly more valuable than corner OF's.

That being said outside of Snider the Jays OF is a weakness. Wells hasn't done much outside of April and Lewis is a nice stopgap LF but the Jays should be looking to upgrade over him when they're ready to compete.

The Jays do have some pitching depth but few of them have Romero's talent, and even fewer are likely to perform like he is now. We'd be lucky if one of the guys in the minors pitched this well. Most of them are mid rotation starters IMO.

nithanyo
07-26-2010, 05:49 PM
We should have gotten Haren. Marcum + Mills + possibly litsch

Arizona got robbed in their deal with LA

broncosfan_101
07-26-2010, 06:09 PM
We should have gotten Haren. Marcum + Mills + possibly litsch

Arizona got robbed in their deal with LA

I've been thinking this all day. Seems like they would have been fine with a package of Litsch (Saunders), Alvarez (Skaggs) Accardo/Purcey (Rodriguez) and Tepera (Corbin). He's definitely worth that package, and isn't overpaid over the next 2 years either.

Very odd situation in Arizona...

Twitchy
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I've been thinking this all day. Seems like they would have been fine with a package of Litsch (Saunders), Alvarez (Skaggs) Accardo/Purcey (Rodriguez) and Tepera (Corbin). He's definitely worth that package, and isn't overpaid over the next 2 years either.

Very odd situation in Arizona...

Haren wanted to stay on the west coast. Still they should have been able to get a better deal.

ChacinCologne
07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
um no

we have enough OF and OF prospects coming up.

hlhiii
07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
um no

we have enough OF and OF prospects coming up.

who exactly?

I think Choo would be an excellent move.

You can argue me on the Romero part of the deal but if you can find a way to get Choo on this team, he would trump all the options we have in the OF.

Again as noted previously, his agent is boras and the military service is a concern but I'd still go after him if Cleveland is listening.

The_905
07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
who exactly?

I think Choo would be an excellent move.

You can argue me on the Romero part of the deal but if you can find a way to get Choo on this team, he would trump all the options we have in the OF.

Again as noted previously, his agent is boras and the military service is a concern but I'd still go after him if Cleveland is listening.

Ya everyone already knows how you feel.

You're only one defending the idea.. take a hint it's a terrible idea, let it go.

broncosfan_101
07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
who exactly?

It shouldn't surprise anyone if Snider-Mastroianni-Thames is the outfield to kick off the 2012 season, and don't sleep on Adam Loewen.

You're only one defending the idea.. take a hint it's a terrible idea, let it go.

Not true, I also think that as players in a vacuum, Choo > Romero. Situations considered, I'd still discuss this potential transaction with my front office.

The_905
07-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Lol I stand corrected, make that only two people on the thread defending the idea.

Look, why would we trade away our best pitching asset who is only 25 years old for a player 4 years older then him at a position of little need?

I am not disputting the fact that Choo is a great player it's just not prudent to make that trade for a rebuilding team that is still a couple years away.

wamco
07-27-2010, 11:16 AM
I'd shoot higher than Choo. He is a nice player and all, but not one I think will hold up his value for more than the next 2 seasons.

Where is wells in this 2012 OF situation?

The_905
07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I'd shoot higher than Choo. He is a nice player and all, but not one I think will hold up his value for more than the next 2 seasons.

Where is wells in this 2012 OF situation?

our starting CF making 22 mill a year..

bomber0104
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I think overall, Choo is a better player than Romero. However, when you consider all the variables, Romero is more needed for the time being

mike_noodles
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
So if we were to give up say 2 minor league low ceiling guys you would be OK in receiving an all star OF talent?
I wonder if Cleveland would be so inclined?

Well I'm saying that I wouldn't give up Romero, Drabek or Cecil to get him, if they wanted any of our other pitchers, I would let them fly.

DiPasquale7
07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Well I'm saying that I wouldn't give up Romero, Drabek or Cecil to get him, if they wanted any of our other pitchers, I would let them fly.

I wouldn't move Morrow either.. and I'd be very hesistant with Marcum.

I'd try and base a package around Rzep or Litsch, a reliever and two mid prospects:

Litsch, Jansenn, Cooper, ?.. They'd probably need more though

Asham
07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't move Morrow either.. and I'd be very hesistant with Marcum.

I'd try and base a package around Rzep or Litsch, a reliever and two mid prospects:

Litsch, Jansenn, Cooper, ?.. They'd probably need more though

If the first name they hear is litsch, they'll probably just hang up the phone

DiPasquale7
07-27-2010, 01:13 PM
If the first name they hear is litsch, they'll probably just hang up the phone

Probably.. Unless you give them a ton of quantity mid-level for 1 quality OF player..

DubbyDubbs
07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Choo is one of my favourite outfielders in the league but I have to say im not down for trading Ricky at all. Hes only going to get better and better

hlhiii
07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't get all this love for Romero. If I'm being truthful, I think he's overrated. I'm not hating on him but I think Cecil and Marcum are better than him, and the stats back it up. I think he's an excellent number 3 right now.

Twitchy
07-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't get all this love for Romero. If I'm being truthful, I think he's overrated. I'm not hating on him but I think Cecil and Marcum are better than him, and the stats back it up. I think he's an excellent number 3 right now.

I would be very interested in hearing what stats show that Cecil and Marcum have been better than Romero. Because as far as I'm concerned he's been significantly better than those 2.

Asham
07-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Honestly outside of Marcum possibly being a #2, everybody in the jays rotation is a #3 starter

BlueJayCarter
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Morrow has the potential to be a #2 or even an ace. He has uber talent. Last several starts have shown that, if he can just keep control of his walks.

Asham
07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
As much as I like Morrow, I still see him as a very good middle rotation starter

nithanyo
07-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Romero is the only true number 2 right now. Morrow is a close second. With Cecil and Marcum having stuff to be good mid rotation guys. Now all we need is an Ace.... Is halladay available??

Rochesta
07-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Drabek might become an ace or 1A type guy. And Twitchy said in another thread that Romero has been a top ten AL pitcher this year.

nithanyo
07-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Drabek might become an ace or 1A type guy. And Twitchy said in another thread that Romero has been a top ten AL pitcher this year.

You cant project an ace from the minors. Unless your names is starsburg you are not projected to be an ace coming up through the minors....

When a pitcher like Haren comes up at a fairly cheap price you jump all over that

scotttube
07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm sure someone else mentioned this but Choo is almost untradable because of his required military service. It's such an uncertainty that nobody would take on. He could be gone 2011-2012 or 2012-2013.

broncosfan_101
07-28-2010, 01:59 AM
I would be very interested in hearing what stats show that Cecil and Marcum have been better than Romero. Because as far as I'm concerned he's been significantly better than those 2.

+1

As much as I like Morrow, I still see him as a very good middle rotation starter

I can see how a 26 year old with a 10 K/9, a significantly reduced walk rate and increased groundball rate in his first full year as a starter projects as a middle rotation starter. Wait a minute...no I don't. The kid has ace potential.

Drabek might become an ace or 1A type guy.

Yea, in AAA maybe. In the big leagues., very very unlikely.

wamco
07-28-2010, 07:38 AM
I can see how a 26 year old with a 10 K/9, a significantly reduced walk rate and increased groundball rate in his first full year as a starter projects as a middle rotation starter. Wait a minute...no I don't. The kid has ace potential.

I thought from the get go that he has AJ Burnett potential with potentially better health. For me, the fact that he is still trying to put it all together at 26 takes some of the luster off him for ace potential.

JaysFan87
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
^^^kinda cant blame the guy for the organization not knowing what to do with him and bouncing him back and forth between starter and reliever. But i can see the skepticism....

Manatoo
07-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Assuming that the military service isn't a problem and they manage to lock him down to a long-term deal, then yeah i would do it in a heartbeat.. Choo has been one of the most underrated player for years now.

adab
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Not real keen on Choo. Good player, but not worth giving up Romero or Marcum for. Why would the Jays need another OF when they have a good situation there. The only way they move a guy like Marcum or Romero is if they get something like the Roberto Alomar of 3B.
When the Jays got Alomar from SD in the Fred McGriff & Tony Fernandez for Joe Carter & Alomar trade, they new Carter was a perenial 30HR/100RBI guy with a decent glove. They also understood that Alomar was a slick gold glove to be at 2B. To say that they had any idea he'd develope into the player he became is a stretch.
The Jays have a a real nice thing going on at all positions, but 3B is a disaster area. Hill will hit. He could quite conceivably up his BA 20 nor 30 points before the year is finished and have 20-25 HR by year's end. John Buck and Jose Molina are holiding down the fort until JP Arcencibia makes the jump to the majors. As soon as the Overbay leaves (FA or trade) the Jays will bring up power hitting prospect Brett Wallace. At SS, they have Yunel Escobar proving the hype not an exageration and eventually they'll bring up Cuban defecter, Adeiny Hechavarria, when he's ready in a couple of years.
In the OF, they have a glut of good players. In fact, they could put Jose Batista at 3B and all could work outr well. The only problem is they'd miss his cannon of an arm in RF.

The_905
07-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Yunel will play 3B when Hech is ready for the bigs. I say in 2-3 years this will happen so we only need a 3B for a couple years, I hope AA doesn't trade away an asset like Ricky for a tempory fix at the 3 bag. This team just needs time. All the pieces are in place except for a legitimate closer but that can come from the farm system so why rush the rebuild process?

JaysFan87
07-28-2010, 01:16 PM
^^^its a more likely that Hill would move to third and one of escobar or hech moves over to second.

the_lazy_man
07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Choo for Romero:S?S?S?S?S?S?S:confused::confused:

My scrotum contracted upon hearing of this thread/idea.

Abdul Mutalib
07-29-2010, 09:07 PM
"The wind whispered "Bautista" in Washington last night and Strasburgs shoulder tightened up and he went on the DL."
"Tornadoes are not mother nature, they are the wind gust from Jose Bautista swinging his bat! "
"Jose Bautista is so awesome that Justin Bieber mentions him in a Tweet just to gain followers."
"Sportsnet had to create a new channel because the previous 4 couldn't all contain the power of Jose Bautista."
"Jose Bautista's paperboy in the off-season is Nick Swisher...and Bautista doesn't even tip him. "
"Jose Bautista once struck a pitcher out while at bat and then offered him 72 virgins as condolence."
" Strasburg missed his start on Monday cuz even he wanted to pitch around Bautista. "
"Theres no more 1st,2nd or 3rd base in Relationships anymore its now called Going Bautista!

"A single hair from Jose Bautista's beard could cure male pattern baldness forever. "
"Jose Bautista is so strong when he tried to inject steroids the needle went "**** THAT!""
"Usher wrote the song "OMG" in inspiration of Jose Bautista."
"The MLB is now called Major League Bautista because no one is in Jose Bautistas League."
"Scientists prove there is no global warming, it was just Jose Bautista warming up his arm."

wamco
07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
pretty proud of that post, eh?

hlhiii
07-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Choo for Romero:S?S?S?S?S?S?S:confused::confused:

My scrotum contracted upon hearing of this thread/idea.

You probably don't even know who choo is.

It's a no-brainer if you look at each individual player. Things get complex when you look at choo's situation.

A career .880 OPS vs. an AJ Burnett type pitcher. There both good but I'll take choo any day of the week.

Halladay
07-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Why oh why would we deal our best young pitcher when we're rebuilding for a 28 year old outfielder who puts up slightly above average stats for his position. Guys like Choo are pretty easy to find in free agency where as guys like Romero are the opposite.

Halladay
07-30-2010, 02:34 AM
You probably don't even know who choo is.

It's a no-brainer if you look at each individual player. Things get complex when you look at choo's situation.

A career .880 OPS vs. an AJ Burnett type pitcher. There both good but I'll take choo any day of the week.

He's 28 and a career OPS of .880 is very good however; given his position it's not worth dealing a pitcher like Romero for. In baseball this is how it works in a nutshell: Hitters, especially outfielders hold little value. Outfielders tend to be pretty good hitters and are always available. Supply and demand. The demand isn't high. Pitchers, especially starters hold the most value of any position without question. Supply and demand again. There's very little supply where as the demand is extremely high. Even when we had the best rotation a few years back we were still shopping for more and more pitching. It's hard to come by.

hlhiii
07-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Why oh why would we deal our best young pitcher when we're rebuilding for a 28 year old outfielder who puts up slightly above average stats for his position. Guys like Choo are pretty easy to find in free agency where as guys like Romero are the opposite.

.880 slightly above average? Nobody on the jays is in that neighbourhood period.

hlhiii
07-30-2010, 12:06 PM
He's 28 and a career OPS of .880 is very good however; given his position it's not worth dealing a pitcher like Romero for. In baseball this is how it works in a nutshell: Hitters, especially outfielders hold little value. Outfielders tend to be pretty good hitters and are always available. Supply and demand. The demand isn't high. Pitchers, especially starters hold the most value of any position without question. Supply and demand again. There's very little supply where as the demand is extremely high. Even when we had the best rotation a few years back we were still shopping for more and more pitching. It's hard to come by.

I get how supply and demand works. But look at the trend in baseball and the jays specifically. They have been able to get great service from many of their pitchers. From romero to cecil to marcum to mcgown to litsch to rzepscinsky to morrow to the next one they bring up. Pitching has been a great equalizer in baseball this year and if the trend continues, hitting will be more valuable. And especially when you are in the AL East you have to have at least 5 or 6 guys who are able to OPS over 800. Look at the Sox, Yanks and Rays. How many bucks, lewises, encarnacions, overbays, (hills, linds this year) do they have in their lineup? Barely any. We have to many of these average ball players. We can't be happy with their average performances. One could only imagine where this team might be if rios and rolen were still here and having the years they are having this season. Jays would be in the thick of the wild card race. You need big bats in the AL East and as of now they don't have one big bat that is guaranteed to be a consistent all-star. Not even one. Their competition has numerous.

Manatoo
07-30-2010, 03:16 PM

uhhhh he is in the peak of is career, put up a 5 WAR season last year with a career .382 wOBA....