PDA

View Full Version : How come yao ming never gets any credit?

Htownballa1622
07-25-2010, 04:02 AM
All day I've been seeing posts how " yao isn't good.bogut is better.oden will be better.after shaq, all true centers will be gone."all these posts I disagree with.other than freak injuries, why does yao never get any credit?

Mochalman
07-25-2010, 04:11 AM
he hasnt done much besides get injured

ajsulli1919
07-25-2010, 04:15 AM
If yao were to play all 82 games and average a double double, he would for sure get some love. I just don't like when he will play like 15-20 games, start for the all star team, things like that because in years past when he has started, other players have deserved it over him. This year, if he played at least 70+ games, averaged a double double, and his team got out of the first round....I think he would get a lot of love, he's just got to stay healthy for a full season.

jmtapia
07-25-2010, 04:15 AM
There was a ton of hype around Yao. People were just waiting for him to develop that killer instinct but instead he got hurt. If he is able to stay healthy he is a great talent and top 3 center in the league.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-25-2010, 04:18 AM
There was a ton of hype around Yao. People were just waiting for him to develop that killer instinct but instead he got hurt. If he is able to stay healthy he is a great talent and top 3 center in the league.

This^

Who says Oden or Bogut is better?!? When healthy, Yao is better than both of them any day in my book! His hook is nearly unblockable.

Heater4life
07-25-2010, 04:19 AM
injuries, how can I say hes better than the other guys if he hasnt been playing?

bholly
07-25-2010, 04:23 AM
I hate these threads. Every time there's a conversation here about centres the usual agreement is that a healthy Yao and Dwight are at the top, and that there are a handful of other guys who have the potential to maybe be included in that group. How much more love do you want him to get? No current player has absolute universal praise - you can't be upset as soon as a few people disagree.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-25-2010, 04:25 AM
I hate these threads. Every time there's a conversation here about centres the usual agreement is that a healthy Yao and Dwight are at the top, and that there are a handful of other guys who have the potential to maybe be included in that group. How much more love do you want him to get? No current player has absolute universal praise - you can't be upset as soon as a few people disagree.

Agreed, I mean the guy leads the All-Star vote every single time, healthy or not.

jmtapia
07-25-2010, 04:27 AM

on the basketball court LBJ does....

bholly
07-25-2010, 04:36 AM
on the basketball court LBJ does....

Maybe, but what I'm saying is that a lot of people still argue that Kobe is better or say that he can't win when it matters, or say they just don't like him, and then LBJ fans start threads complaining that everyone who says those things is a 'hater' and that he doesn't get nearly as much love as he deserves. The fact that the same thing happens even with the reigning MVP just solidifies my point.

abe_froman
07-25-2010, 04:43 AM
how doesnt he get credit,he's consensus top 2 center in the league

and no james doesnt get universal praise on the court,never has

Dallas Tx4Life
07-25-2010, 04:44 AM
how doesnt he get credit,he's consensus top 2 center in the league

and no james doesnt get universal praise on the court,never has

LOL! You gotta quit lying to yourself. That statement is so dumb.

BIGBREED
07-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Because he's always writing checks!

YAO- "can I write a check?"

knicksfan23
07-25-2010, 05:31 AM
personally i hate yao but he would have beed good if he wasent injured all the damn time....asian sensationnnn

Blazers#1Fan
07-25-2010, 05:54 AM
LOL! You gotta quit lying to yourself. That statement is so dumb.

are you jokin lebron doesnt get praise like that nobody liked the guy last season and nobody will like him this year....KOBE is far more superior in praise

YAo is one of the best centers in the game if he was healthy all season he'd be #1

Enemey
07-25-2010, 05:58 AM
When Yao's healthy he is a TOP 2 Center alongside Dwight.

Jaji
07-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Racism

justinnum1
07-25-2010, 11:40 AM
People keep on forgetting about him because he is always injured.

zambo4president
07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Yao's a great big man when he's healthy

Avenged
07-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Injuries, plain and simple.

I don't agree Bogut is better though, talk about really overrating a player.

GodsSon
07-25-2010, 12:16 PM

This

nikeking711
07-25-2010, 12:22 PM
because he is never around and always injured..

BaustinSali08
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah I agree with what everyone is saying. You can't really make an argument for how good someone really is if they are constantly injured. I think what Yao has done for the NBA is already memorable. He is the first real Asian star that the NBA has and I am sure has made the NBA millions of dollars through merchandise, but his influence has also allowed teams to go to China to have pre-season games to try and create more hype for the NBA in China. Opening the doors to the forbidden kingdom is one that can have a lot of positive effects for the future of the NBA.

zambo4president
07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Injuries, plain and simple.

I don't agree Bogut is better though, talk about really overrating a player.

Yeah Bogut's gone from underrated to highly overrated in the past few months.

Mplsman
07-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Because he is 30 and hasn't played in 2 years...

DerekRE_3
07-25-2010, 12:39 PM
When Yao is healthy he's the best Center in the game. Problem is he hasn't been healthy lately.

djlamer
07-25-2010, 12:43 PM
i think its because hes asian and america is racist.
i agree that yao is probably the best center in the game right now if not close to it. dudes freaking 7'5 man!! now that hes taken a whole year off, hes gonna be a challenge,

omdigga
07-25-2010, 12:50 PM
yao gets plenty of credit.

i think chris kaman is an awesome center who doesnt get any credit. my theory is because he is funny looking. but hes got skills. the guy was an allstar, but hardly gets mentioned when best centers are being talked about.

netsgiantsyanks
07-25-2010, 01:03 PM
yao is good when hes not injured. but hes been injured too much for me and most of us to consider him a good center in the nba.

Brooklyn Mets
07-25-2010, 01:15 PM
yao is an all star when healthy..

tall, long arms, shot blocker, good post defender and low post scoring threat, and has a good outside shot..
but hes not talked about becuse he doesnt play..

Htownballa1622
07-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I said and I quote.other than freak injuries.yao doesn't get credit.and yes when healthy he's the best center imo.and maybe I should have re worded that.its not the credit because all star games mean nothing.its the respect that when healthy he is the best center.because of this, people always overlook houston.and for people who hate threads like this.don't read or write on them.I've mostly heard the answers injuries.i asked other than injuries....

MickeyMgl
07-25-2010, 02:37 PM
All day I've been seeing posts how " yao isn't good.bogut is better.oden will be better.after shaq, all true centers will be gone."all these posts I disagree with.other than freak injuries, why does yao never get any credit?

I'd like to see the post that begins with "Yao isn't good." That's not a smart person.

fadedmario
07-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Because he sucks and his team has never done anything.

Htownballa1622
07-25-2010, 02:46 PM
I'd like to see the post that begins with "Yao isn't good." That's not a smart person.

I honestly don't remember what thread it was in.but I saw it.that's why I thought wow! Yao gets no respect.i understand he's had two major leg/foot injuries but for about five years he was the most consistent center in the league.and the best imo.i am from houston so maybe I am a little biased but I just know he when healthy is worthy of all stars and respect.and I think I remember now...it was in the thread about sg being the dying position behind center.

Htownballa1622
07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Because he sucks and his team has never done anything.

I shouldn't even reply to you seeing as how the pistons wasted money on villanueva and gordon and had one of the worst second overall pick in history of the nba draft in darko.if you think yao sucks, you haven't watched the same player as me.

kmoneyjuice
07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
yeah wierd, with all his playoff wins and nba championships

Dallas Tx4Life
07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
I shouldn't even reply to you seeing as how the pistons wasted money on villanueva and gordon and had one of the worst second overall pick in history of the nba draft in darko.if you think yao sucks, you haven't watched the same player as me.

Ignore him, he's just bitter about being a Lions fan...

Anyone that knows anything knows that Yao Ming does not suck.

Htownballa1622
07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Ignore him, he's just bitter about being a Lions fan...

Anyone that knows anything knows that Yao Ming does not suck.

Haha thanks.

And the next persons argument means alot.wheres dwights ring? Wheres lebrons?i love lebron as a player but the fact is.yao gets hated on.

grega1976
07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
yeah wierd, with all his playoff wins and nba championships

you're a ****in moron... I guess John Stockton and Karl Malone sucked too huh... so does Nash, Dirk, LeBron, Barkley, etc... Dumbass!

Sandman
07-25-2010, 02:58 PM
because he never plays.

and only true center left? what about Gasol and Howard?

lakersfan01
07-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Because he hasn't done anything! Even when he's healthy, he gets tired rediculously fast. Comically so lol. I would like to see him get healthy and play well, but he gets no respect cuz he is never conditioned enough and isn't tough. He is the biggest monster in the game but never plays like it. He's always bent down with his hands on his knees. He will earn respect if he can lead his talented team to a championship.

RedSoxFan2434
07-25-2010, 03:27 PM
who's saying yao isn't good???? lol

he's great jus always injured

Hawkeye15
07-25-2010, 03:29 PM
um, he does get credit as arguably the best center in the NBA when healthy. But the dude didn't play all of last year, and may never again play like we have all seen him play before. You can't include a player in center rankings who didn't even play last year. So now it is up to him to not only play, but play BETTER than Dwight, Bogut, Bynum, etc, before he can re-assume the top perch in center rankings. My money says that won't happen. Yao will probably give the Rockets 65 games or so, and be a 17/8 center. I think injuries have just taken him apart. Its too bad, but everyone knew what they were getting when they drafted a 300 lb man who plays 12 months a year due to international commitment. Only a matter of time before those feet start giving him issues

HabsFan87
07-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Because he's always injured would be my guess to less exposure then others, as well as barely speaking english...

HabsFan87
07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
He could always promote a pizza joint, look at the joys and wonders if did for Turk in Toronto haha.

Htownballa1622
07-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Because he hasn't done anything! Even when he's healthy, he gets tired rediculously fast. Comically so lol. I would like to see him get healthy and play well, but he gets no respect cuz he is never conditioned enough and isn't tough. He is the biggest monster in the game but never plays like it. He's always bent down with his hands on his knees. He will earn respect if he can lead his talented team to a championship.

Funny because he gets tied so quick to where nobody on the lakers can guard him.

iFYouSeekAmy
07-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I use to love the Yao vs Shaq match-ups in Yao's earlier career. Really competitive.

now it's not even funny; 2 even slower guys.

lakersfan01
07-25-2010, 03:42 PM
you're a ****in moron... I guess John Stockton and Karl Malone sucked too huh... so does Nash, Dirk, LeBron, Barkley, etc... Dumbass!

Lebron has played just 7 seasons, and mentioned in the same sentence with those guys? Wow.

I'm tired of the argument that Lebron didn't have the supporting cast. Are you kidding me? The cavs got everyone they could including shaq and jamison. They had the best record the last 2 seasons! Hard to win when your "Queen" chokes in the big games. I knew they were going to lose to the Celtics when Lebron started the "My elbow hurts". He was making excuses before they even faced the Celtics. When he missed shots, he would hold his elbow. I remember kids in school used to do that. I didn't think an nba "superstar" would do that haha but yep, the "Queen" did!!! Hilarious. How's the elbow Lebron? You can't live up to the pressure!!! Kobe had serious injuries, and he DOWNPLAYED them! Lebron made up an "elbow injury" for an excuse to lose!!! Then the coward ran to Miami for an easy championship, hoping Wade can win him a championship. Lebron obvious afraid to be the guy. "Elbow injury" haha. Lebron's legacy.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
lmao at everyone saying Yao isn't at least the #2 center when he was healthy. He had just as good of paint protection as Dwight Howard, based off his size alone, he was able to keep opposing team's out of the paint. If you didn't double team him in the post, he scored at will. Sure he had his faults. He was terrible putting the ball on the floor, and big men that could get away from the basket and shoot gave him issues. But Yao was a terrific center

Hawkeye15
07-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Lebron has played just 7 seasons, and mentioned in the same sentence with those guys? Wow.

I'm tired of the argument that Lebron didn't have the supporting cast. Are you kidding me? The cavs got everyone they could including shaq and jamison. They had the best record the last 2 seasons! Hard to win when your "Queen" chokes in the big games. I knew they were going to lose to the Celtics when Lebron started the "My elbow hurts". He was making excuses before they even faced the Celtics. When he missed shots, he would hold his elbow. I remember kids in school used to do that. I didn't think an nba "superstar" would do that haha but yep, the "Queen" did!!! Hilarious. How's the elbow Lebron? You can't live up to the pressure!!! Kobe had serious injuries, and he DOWNPLAYED them! Lebron made up an "elbow injury" for an excuse to lose!!! Then the coward ran to Miami for an easy championship, hoping Wade can win him a championship. Lebron obvious afraid to be the guy. "Elbow injury" haha. Lebron's legacy.

how did this stupid arguement come up? Everyone will see how awesome LeBron's cast was this year when they win 25 games. Why not wait until the results are shown on how strong that cast was, because we are going to get the opportunity to find out.

GreatMustachio1
07-25-2010, 03:46 PM
hes tall. thats a good asset

TEXASTITAN
07-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Because he plays in Houston and were always overlooked and his health has had an issue as well. But with this being a contract year for him and him looking for a 5-6 year deal if he never plays a full season again i believe this year he will. Everyone is going to sleep on Houston like always until they play us and get beat even the Lakers are going to have trouble with this team come playoff time.

OA SLAY
07-25-2010, 03:59 PM
who the %uck is yao ming:confused:

Baseballcb95
07-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I take a healthy Yao over a healthy Howard. That being said, if im starting a franchise, im starting it with dwight.

Htownballa1622
07-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Because he plays in Houston and were always overlooked and his health has had an issue as well. But with this being a contract year for him and him looking for a 5-6 year deal if he never plays a full season again i believe this year he will. Everyone is going to sleep on Houston like always until they play us and get beat even the Lakers are going to have trouble with this team come playoff time.

I know you're a houston fan and I still 100% agree

RCarlson85
07-25-2010, 04:25 PM
It's all about the injuries as far as I'm concerned. He was healthy for his first 3 seasons, but since then has been injured big chunks of every season except for one. Guys that are as big as he is usually have problems with their knees and ankles. His most recent problem is his fractured foot. Who knows if he will ever come back and be healthy. His foot might not be able to take the weight of his body. I think tall guys like him just aren't going to have long NBA careers.

SANDBURG23
07-25-2010, 07:24 PM
If he stays healthy he'll get alot of love in the FA market next year. NY maybe Amare,Ming & Carmelo up front.

Raph12
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Yao healthy and at the top of his game is damn near unstoppable 1v1, the problem is, that scenario is rare for him.

barreleffact
07-25-2010, 10:41 PM
he's very slow and often injured. it has nothing to do with the market he plays in, nor the skills he possesses and everything to do with the injuries he has amassed. he will quickly be a non factor in all likelihood shortly after he returns because he is too big and too frail for an 82 game season.

in contrast dwight howard has missed about 5 games total for his career. thats why he gets noticed. in the nba you have to play and it really is that simple. tmac used to be a beast too and now he is just another oft injured former star. the list goes on an on for players like that.

ultimately, ppl want to see players like him succeed. grant hill is the biggest proof of that in this time, but grant's injuries were far less drastic than yoa's in the sense that yao will nvr weigh less than 300 lbs and wont shrink. he'll not trying to knock on wood but i wouldnt be surprised if his feet become as bad as kenny georges one day

HoopsDrive
07-25-2010, 10:48 PM
When healthy, no center is better offensively than Yao and the only guy that I'd ponder in choosing would be Howard. Plus, he's a cash cow like no other.

jackdawson
07-25-2010, 10:53 PM
How do you deserve any credit when you can't sniff the court for almost 2 years?

I agree, when he is 100% healthy he is the best center hands down.

Sadds The Gr8
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
he plays like 2 games a year...and last year was the first time he ever got outta the 1st round...then what happens the 2nd round? INJURY.

JordansBulls
07-25-2010, 11:15 PM

Because he hardly ever plays.

20GoodTimes20
07-26-2010, 12:31 AM
I understand most of these doubts about Yao, but I think he'll surprise many of you this year. This is a revamped improved team from what he played on a couple years back. Most notably AB, Scola, and even Hayes, showed what this team could do without him. This gives Adelman the option to occasionally sit him for rest and recovery. Also, no back to back unless a 'big' game. The new guys playing with him; Martin, Budinger, Miller, Hill, Patterson all are going to benefit from playing with Yao. Barring a major setback he's on track to be back for to the season opener. Even at 80%, his presence makes this team a contender. If he gives them 65 games and is healthy for the playoffs, watch out.

20GoodTimes20
07-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Not to mention, houstons the deepest team in the league, in my opinion. great scenario for Yao to comeback too. He'll probably win comeback player of the year

SouthSideRookie
07-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah i guess some people just havent been watching lately, tell me, what team can accomplish what this Rockets squad has done without their 2 main stars or go to players. I would almost guarantee that if both star players and go to's were to go down from any team in this league that it would be the end of the season for them. The Rockets took the Lakers to 7 without Yao and Tmac, last year they finished with an above .500 record in the western conference.

JOSKOMANG4
07-26-2010, 10:32 AM
When Yao is Healthy, he's a top 3 center in the NBA. But due to injuries, he's unreliable.

twoearl
07-26-2010, 10:55 AM

^^^^ This. Wake me up when Yao actually plays Two straight seasons of basketbally. It's like the old saying goes "out of sight, out of mind".

97NYer
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I still think he's the best center in the league when healthy, but we know how often he is healthy.....

TEXASTITAN
07-26-2010, 07:13 PM
7 Time Allstar and the biggest game changer in the NBA when he plays. Center is the weakest position in the NBA and he's arguably the best in the league when he's healthy. Yao is in a contract year and who doesn't play hard or stay healthy in a contract year? I believe that no matter what he's on the court most of the season and the playoffs because it hurts his value in free agency if he's not. He will play and dominate and Houston will challenge LA this year like they did not too long ago.