PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft FINALS - (1) Nets vs. (3) Jazz

Westbrook36
07-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This second round match-up features the 1st seeded New Jersey Nets versus the 3rd seeded Utah Jazz. The Nets have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Nets Lineup:

PG: Chauncey Billups/ Mike Conley
SG: O.J. Mayo/ Rodrigue Beabois
SF: Lebron James/ Tracy Mcgrady
PF: David West/ JJ Hickson
C: Birdman/ Darko Millicic

Nets Write-Up:

Nets Final Write Up!

Nets
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Mike Conley
SG: O.J. Mayo/ Rodrigue Beabois
SF: Lebron James/ Tracy Mcgrady
PF: David West/ JJ Hickson
C: Birdman/ Darko Millicic

Jazz
PG: Steve Nash / Eric Maynor
SG: Thabo Sefalosha / Eddie House
SF: SF- CJ Miles / Morris Peterson
PF: Dirk Nowitzki / Juwon Howard
C: Marcus Camby / Anderson Varajao

PG: Chauncey Billups vs. Steve Nash: This is an interesting match up. Nash is the better player IMO. But I donít know by how much. Nash and Billups are both 2 of the better PGís to have played the last decade. Billups has had more success winning while Nash has had more individual success. Nash is better offensively and Billups is better defensively. I think both would function fairly well getting the shots they wanted and creating nicely for there teams. Iíll give Nash the edge to him being a tad better.

Advantage: Jazz

SG: O.J. Mayo vs. Thabo Sefalosha: Thabo is a pretty stellar defender while Mayo is a pretty stellar offensive player. Thabo is just garbage on O, he averaged 4.5 PPG in the playoffs. So Mayo being a below average defender doesnít really hurt us in this match up, I would say at best Thabo puts up around 6 points a game. Mayo will play Thabo all game. I think they intend to put Thabo on Lebron, which is fine with me because I donít know if there were too many teams Lebron played better against then the Thunder. The fact that Thabo is not even a threat on O and that Mayo will probably have a below average defender on him in Miles seems like a pretty obvious win to me.

Advantage: Nets

SF: Lebron James vs. CJ Miles: Lebron has it pretty easy in this series in all honesty. Miles averaged 15 PPG in the playoffs last year against Denver, against a much weaker defender in Melo. Jimbob has brought that up every match up but against Lebron I think CJ is at best a 10-12 PPG scorer in this series. Miles only averaged about 10 a season during the season so my prediction seems about right. Ok and now my explanation of why Lebron has it easy in the series. Though Thabo is a very good defender he was not very effective at stopping Lebron during the regular season. Against OKC Lebron put up a ridiculous stat line of 40.5 PPG, 9 APG, 8 RPG, .52FG%, 0.61 3PT%, 2.5 SPG, 1 BPG. Lebron really seemed to have his way with the Thunder. And with Camby in the middle I might expect the numbers to drop a tad but probably not much. Camby also wont reduce that ******** 3PT %. Lebron seems to have his best match up of the entire playoffs. He has the easiest defensive job so far and what appears to be a solid offensive match up.

Large Advantage: Nets

PF: David West vs. Dirk Nowitzki: Dirk is my favourite player all time . . . He is the better player here. (Ironically Nash is my 2nd favourite player.) Dirk and West will probably both end up playing D on the opposing C as neither is a quality defender and both are pretty good offensive players. West has a nice match up whether Dirk or Camby plays on him. Camby will have to defend a mid range jumper from West and play him off the block which isnít his greatest strength. And Dirk just isnít very good on D. Camby might push West a bit on O down low but a 36 or 37 year old Camby who averaged 7 PPG last year isnít going to damage us much. I think Camby at best puts up 8.5 PPG. Birdman will play Dirk probably all game and will be helped with the occasional double team via west. I donít expect them to shut down Dirk but Birdman will disrupt his shots, make some big blocks and will keep Dirk human. I think its save to say Dirk puts up 25-28 PPG but will probably shoot a lower percentage. Jazz get the advantage with Dirk being greater then David but I think we will manage this match up fairly well.

Advantage: Jazz

C: Birdman vs. Marcus Camby: Camby is probably the better player but not by much anymore. Theyíre both relatively useless on offence and both more about D. Birdman is more versatile though he makes more big plays I think that will be nice to have, nothing dents a superstars confidence like a big block. Camby if he guards West will probably be playing uncomfortably out of position and if he guards birdman it doesnít really matter because Birdman isnít an offensive threat. I honestly donít see a clear advantage here. Based on match ups or just in general now I think you could make a case either way.

Advantage: up to you

Bench: I donít even think this is a question. It has been mentioned many times by GMís who played the Jazz or just voters that this bench has 0 fire power and would be pretty ineffective. Varajao, and Mo Pete as its two best players bring almost nothing offensively. Varajao brings some nice D but thatís about it. Maynor/ House/ Mo Pete would all have very hard times slowing down my bench scorers in Conley, Beabois, and T-mac. I felt like my starting 5 had the edge already but my bench IMO clearly tips the scale my way.

Huge Advantage: Nets

Summary: There are 3 clear reasons why I think I win this series age, scoring, depth. Age, Camby 37, Nash 37, Dirk 33, now thatís great for experience purposes but I think we can all agree with the exception of maybe Dirk all 3 players are out of their prime or on the edge of their prime years. I donít know how this team would do in the Finals against young scorers like Mayo, Lebron, West. Scoring, My team could seriously average 105- 115 PPG in this series. Lets say Nash gets some solid points and 18 PPG this series, Iíll be generous again and say Dirk puts in 28, add 6 from Thabo, 10 from Miles, and maybe 8 from Camby. Thatís 72ish PPG at best with me being generous? Then add in the fact that the bench boasts almost no scoring, and the fact that there 3 best players are over 32 and will need to take some time off as now they played 82 games + 3 playoff series. I think this team just doesnít have the firepower to stay close. I think the Cavs were the better team defensively, and even though they had no #2 scorer they had 5-7 guys who could put up double-digit points on a regular basis. How is a worse defensive team with only 3ish guys putting up double digits going to keep up to my team who has 4 guys in the starting line-up who averaged over 16 PPG? Depth- they already have problems putting up points and now they have very limited firepower coming off the bench. Conley, Beaubois, Mcgrady are all capable double-digit scores. Even Hickson put up 8.5 in 20 min last season. The Jazz did a great job putting together arguably the best duo in the redraft. But I just donít see them being able to carry the team offensively. On top of my other reasons I also have home court advantage. The East teams were clearly better this year, most Power Rankingís had the Warriors as #1 in the West and they were usually #5 in the overall rankings, Jazz usually were in the 5-7 range league wide. I think Nets win in 5 as Dirk and Nash would steal at least 1.[/QUOTE]

Jazz Lineup:

PG: Steve Nash / Eric Maynor
SG: Thabo Sefalosha / Eddie House
SF: SF- CJ Miles / Morris Peterson
PF: Dirk Nowitzki / Juwon Howard
C: Marcus Camby / Anderson Varajao

Jazz Write-Up:

point guard- Steve Nash has played a huge part in our run to the finals, and we expect him to come up big again in this match up. Due to Lebron demanding so much of the ball on offense, bringing it up the floor, creating his own offense whilst creating for others, Chauncey's effectiveness on this team wont be as big as his effectiveness on the Nuggets/Pistons over the years. I can see him just being reduced to a jump shooter, primarily there to spread the floor for Lebron and not run the team that he's so used to doing. Nash has all the freedom in the world to run our team, which is why he will control this match up, and the series IMO. With the Nets not being the best defensive teams, Steve will be able to cut through their defense like a knife through hot butter, you can just see all the easy lay ups he will get now. Especialy with no big defensive presence in the middle clogging the lane. Bar Birdman's strong weak side defense there will be no resistance.

Wings- We've gone the whole way to these finals losing every wing match up we've had, and thats no different here. Lebron James is the best player involved in this series, all we can do is make it tougher for him. We have decent interior defending to protect our rim, aiming to keep the King out of the paint as much as possible. We have premier perimeter defending in Thabo, to throw at Lebron or to take his team mates away and isolate him. OJ Mayo, like Chauncey, will not be as effective on this team as he is for Memphis either. In Memphis he's in a system where he can throw shots up and inflate his stats. Here he will have a strict role, and is he mature enough to stay disciplined? He will be reduced to a jump shooter as well, you really think Lebron will allow him to create his own offense and run his own plays..in the finals? Exactly, slim chance. CJ Miles had an encouraging playoffs in real life, averaging 15 points throughout, hopefully he can take Lebron on abit at the other end and tire him slightly. Overall we will probably lose the wing battle. I can see their starting wings getting 40ppg while ours should get around 25ppg. Again, I'm confident we can make this up in other areas quite comfortably.

Bigs- This is where we control this series, factoring in Steve Nash's passing ability and playmaking I think this is where the series is won. Dirk Nowitzki again should be able to get all the offense he wants against David West, whose as soft as they come at power forward. Dirk could easily average the most points in this series. The Nets have no decent post defending. He will probably argue that Birdman is a great defender, when in reality he is a great shot blocker, but a lousy defender as we saw in the playoffs. He looked run down in the first round in real life, I doubt he has enough in the tank to be as effective in the finals. David West gets the same role as Jamison got on the Cavs. He'll quietly get them 10-15 a night, but never really hurt you or help take heat off Lebron. We will have Camby guarding him as well, who himself is a long, athletic shot blocker, an ideal match up for us. Once again Dirk has nobody to guard, so he can stay fresh for the offensive end. We could even stick Dirk on West and have Camby free to go for blocks/double team Lebron down low.

Bench- Pretty average benches, I'd give ourselves the advantage with our back up big man being better than their starting center in Anderson Varajao. He will once again join our starters in a 3 big rotation. Their two best bench players are both point guards, hurting their effectiveness. Bench battle looks pretty even.

Overall his team has some big names, but I just dont see it being efficient enough to help Lebron win it all. Lebron has already proved he couldnt win it all with a similarly built squad (though his teams have had more inside than this team), and those same problems will arise in this series. They have absolutely 0 inside presence, we will crush them on the rebounds. In the playoffs the rebound battle is always so huge, we should be able to control that in this series and get extra possessions with ease. At the end of the day, when its crunch time its Nash+Dirk v Lebron. I just think we have too much for the King.

kozelkid
07-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Bottom line. Defense wins championships. Both teams have the firepower, but defensively, Camby and Varejao are far better than anything Nets got.

Ebbs
07-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Bottom line. Defense wins championships. Both teams have the firepower, but defensively, Camby and Varejao are far better than anything Nets got.

Clearly lebron didn't make an all NBA defensive team or anything :rolleyes:

RocketsRule
07-24-2010, 10:35 PM
For some reason I feel Billups is Nash's kryptonite, finally a good PG to stand in his way. Gotta take the Nets in a close series.

jimbobjarree
07-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Nash and Dirk baby. Vote Jazz.

Lebron's 25, he'll have loads more chances to win it all

Ebbs
07-24-2010, 10:52 PM

Haha

ManRam
07-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Give LeBron that supporting cast and it's game over for the league.

The Nets, and I think they'd beat every playoff team in 6 games or less.

njnets
07-24-2010, 11:01 PM
gthe jazz have dirk and nash: GREAT PLAYERS. the rest of the starting lineup: average. the wings can shoot and play some D, and camby is good defender. besides varejao, i think the bench is horrible.

the nets have bron. shooters in billups and mayo. west on O. birdman is weak, not gonna lie. but he will be fresh considering that darko will probably get a lot of minutes. neither guy is great so keeping them fresh is the best for them. tmac RB and hickson is very nice off the bench.

so, as i have said all along, i am not a fan of the jazz. not enough depth. bench is too weak imo and i think the old legs will get to them.

nets win

Ebbs
07-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Give LeBron that supporting cast and it's game over for the league.

The Nets, and I think they'd beat every playoff team in 6 games or less.

Thanks man appreciate it.

I feel that way too he has so much firepower to help him out.

defender4m
07-24-2010, 11:25 PM
nets have this one and win the championship

Bucsfan
07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
jjazz all the way!

ManRam
07-25-2010, 12:06 AM

Jimbo...

Nash and Dirk were teammates, and they never did ****.

zambo4president
07-25-2010, 12:12 AM
The Jazz big men have a large advantage over the Nets, man this one would be a battle I see a 6 or 7 game series here. Chauncey's the guy to slow down Nash if anyone, Chauncey's got the finals experience, Nash doesn't. Im a defensive minded guy but the Jazz just aren't gonna be able to put up the kinda points Mayo and Bron are gonna produce, especially on the 2nd unit, it's pretty weak. LeBron's got quite the team around him, Chauncey Billups Mr. Clutch himself, O.J. Mayo one of the bright spots at SG for the NBA's future, the guy can fill it up, West sucks but he'll still put up double digits, Birdman's not gonna do much with the ball but it's his defensive presence that makes him a factor here. I just don't see the Jazz being able to pull this one out. Congrats ebbs you built a great team, Nets get my vote.

jimbobjarree
07-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Jimbo...

I know, but now theyre on my team, which means they rape

zambo4president
07-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I know, but now theyre on my team, which means they rape

Can't argue with that logic:shrug:

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Clearly lebron didn't make an all NBA defensive team or anything :rolleyes:

You build your defense from inside out. Birdman for 20mpg isn't going to cut it.
Lebron is a PERIMETER defender. Great defensive teams have great big men defenders, end of story.
And I don't give a rat's *** about the "all NBA teams". Don't mean ****. If they did, Lebron certainly wouldn't have had the second most votes last year for simply his chase down blocks.

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Jimbo...

That was also way back when... they've matured a lot since.
Bottom line though, they also never had as good interior defense either. That will be the difference.
Sure, Lebron has more offensive weapons than he ever had, but he was always part of great defensive teams and people seem to forget that. Varejao is definitely a top 5 big man defender in this league.

MacFitz92
07-25-2010, 02:05 AM
I was about to vote for the Nets, but c'mon! Dirk and Nash, had to vote Utah.

Whomewhome
07-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Jazz have an aging PG with no real backup. Nets don't really have a frontcourt

Frontcourt Advantage: Jazz
Backcourtt Advantage: Nets

LeIdiot, LeBroom or whatever that moron's name is makes the Nets just a tad better

jetsfan89
07-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Can't argue with that logic:shrug:

I easily could

jimbobjarree
07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
having birdman as his only real center costs him more dearly than me having CJ miles starting. Its just having the name of Lebron on his team blinds people from seeing that. We will crush inside+ on the boards.

Redbull
07-25-2010, 01:50 PM
IMO the Nets are a much better team, the Jazz offense is terrible and if Dirk has a bad game I just don't see how they can win.

Nets in 5, the Jazz would probably win one at home.

king4day
07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I disagree with "Bench = Nets: Large advantage"

I think McGrady's name is why that was stated but we're not talking former allstar TMac. Conley and Darko are useless. Varejao is more established than Hickson but I still like JJ here.
Advantage...yes.
Huge...no

gbpackers12
07-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Nets would win this matchup.

netsgiantsyanks
07-25-2010, 02:38 PM
nets win this matchup.

JAZZNC
07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
I think that the starting 5 would be in favor of the Jazz but the bench is a big question.

The stars on both teams are choke artists so I can't really say that either will "carry" their respective teams.

The Jazz have two legit STARS where the Nets only have 1 and their post scoring/D is atrocious.

Jazz in 7.

swaddell13
07-25-2010, 03:05 PM
IMO the Nets are a much better team, the Jazz offense is terrible and if Dirk has a bad game I just don't see how they can win.

Nets in 5, the Jazz would probably win one at home.

aw come on give em atleast 6 games :P

Super.
07-25-2010, 04:12 PM
LeQueen has way too much support

Ebbs
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Wow I'm way to happy about winning an online game.

greg_ory_2005
07-25-2010, 06:25 PM
roddy buckets baby!

Ebbs
07-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks to everybody in the redraft especially RR, WB, and Kaka for running it. This Feels Awesome!