PDA

View Full Version : Team USA Will Cut 4-5 Players After Vegas, Who Will Be Cut?

goblazers7
07-24-2010, 05:57 PM
USA Basketball's training camp in Las Vegas will end Saturday night with an intrasquad game at the Thomas & Mack Center.

The roster will be trimmed sometime after that before Team USA reconvenes in New York next month for the World Championships to be held in Turkey Aug. 28-Sept. 12.

"We have time on our side in terms of selection," USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Friday.

"We're still talking about 14 or 15 going to New York. Names could change a little bit based on today and based on what we see tomorrow night, because we're giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. If there are any close calls we may even take an extra guy. We'll see."

Read more: http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/68325/20100724/team_usa_will_cut_4_5_players_after_vegas/#ixzz0udhOe9II

Found-----------------http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=5405704

I think Westbrook, McGee, Gordon, Green, and Robin Lopez.

Chauncey Billups
Tyson Chandler
Stephen Curry
Kevin Durant
Tyreke Evans
Rudy Gay
Eric Gordon
Danny Granger
Jeff Green
Andre Iguodala
David Lee
Brook Lopez
Robin Lopez
Kevin Love
O.J. Mayo
Lamar Odom
Rajon Rondo
Derrick Rose
Gerald Wallace
Russell Westbrook

kozelkid
07-24-2010, 06:01 PM
There have been rumors that Westbrook is actually one of the locks along with Rose, Billups, Durant, Rondo and Odom.

David Lee is definitely out cause of the injury unfortunately.
Evans has also been battling some ankle injury I think, so he might be out.
Robin Lopez is probably out when you got brook and Chandler.
And I agree with you on Jeff Green and McGee as well.

phlp_bj
07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
i see the following players making it:

PG: Rajon Rondo/Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook
SG: Chauncey Billups/Stephen Curry
SF: Kevin Durant/Danny Granger
PF: Lamar Odom/Kevin Love/Jeff Green
C: Tyson Chandler/Brook Lopez

goblazers7
07-24-2010, 06:05 PM
There have been rumors that Westbrook is actually one of the locks along with Rose, Billups, Durant, Rondo and Odom.

I also heard Rob was still battling/recovering the injury he had last playoffs?
I forgot to take Lee out of the list... and Evans might of taken himself out of the running to make the roster.
Steph Curry? I think USA needs his shooting

phlp_bj
07-24-2010, 06:05 PM
btw the mods will close this thread because you can't post from real gm. so i suggest you change the link to the following: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=5405704

goblazers7
07-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Brook Lopez>Ty Chandler

phlp_bj
07-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Brook Lopez>Ty Chandler

ya either could start. i just listed them in the depth chart. i think tyson is a better rebounder though

SA5195
07-24-2010, 06:09 PM
McGee, Gordon, Green, Robin Lopez.

:shrug:

goblazers7
07-24-2010, 06:13 PM
ya either could start. i just listed them in the depth chart. i think tyson is a better rebounder though

No worries. and thanks for the warning. You think Jeff Green will have a shot at making this roster?

kozelkid
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I'd like to think they take Eric Gordon and Mayo. Both great shooters.
Curry is a great shooter as well, but I'm not sure if he's physical enough as a 2. And he certainly won't be able to beat out Rose, Rondo and probably Westbrook (if he's indeed a lock).

Hawkeye15
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I would be very surprised if Love doesn't make it. He plays like an international PF.

goblazers7
07-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I would be very surprised if Love doesn't make it. He plays like an international PF.

Kevin Love is one of the best upcoming rebounding bigs. I think he'll thrive in international play because of his shooting and rebounding

jimm120
07-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I think it'll be

1. Odom
2. Robin Lopez
3. Green
4. Gordon

and if they decide to keep the "veteran" precense of Odom, replace him with Iguodala or Chandler.

The LOCKS, imo, to the team are

PG Westbrook - Rose
SG Wallace - Gay
SF Durant
PF Love
C B. Lopez - Lee

Those are the only LOCKS that I find.

goblazers7
07-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I think it'll be

1. Odom
2. Robin Lopez
3. Green
4. Gordon

and if they decide to keep the "veteran" precense of Odom, replace him with Iguodala or Chandler.

The LOCKS, imo, to the team are

PG Westbrook - Rose
SG Wallace - Gay
SF Durant
PF Love
C B. Lopez - Lee

Those are the only LOCKS that I find.

Love the Sig, but Chaunceys a lock.

homestarunner93
07-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I would hope Tyson Chandler would be one, he's beyond horrible.

Chateamsfan
07-24-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't think Granger will make it ahead of Gerald Wallace.

zambo4president
07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Jeff Green, Robin Lopez, Rudy Gay, David Lee and one of Gordon or Curry. Curry's undersized that doesn't help him.

phlp_bj
07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
No worries. and thanks for the warning. You think Jeff Green will have a shot at making this roster?

i think jeff green or rudy gay both have a shot just because they can play multiple positions. wallace is good, but not sure if he can play pf. we lack height this time around. we only have odom/brook/love/chandler

masalex1205
07-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Wow Tyson Chandler has a shot at making this team, he sucksssss

kozelkid
07-24-2010, 06:40 PM

So do most of the centers trying out for this team. Hopefully only Lopez makes it like when Howard was the only true center in 08. Lopez, Love and Odom are the only true big man that this team needs. Well I guess Wallace too, but I view him more as a wing player even though he's bound to play the 4 in the international game.

MiamiWadeCounty
07-24-2010, 07:47 PM
i see kevin durant and derrick rose getting the boot
they just lack the skills needed to compete at a high level

35th&Shields
07-24-2010, 08:00 PM

Good joke.

REALLYYYYY?
07-24-2010, 08:18 PM

lol

arkanian215
07-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Brook Lopez>Ty Chandler

I read somewhere that it's likely that Brook may get cut. Supposedly Coach K needs a rebounder, defender and a guy to run pick and rolls and not be much of a scorer. Also Brook had mono and lost a ton of weight so he might need to go home.

Tisoykeis
07-24-2010, 08:20 PM

If that is the depth chart, there is a big time drop off in talent and no-where near a Dream team this time around. I would be surprised if the US wins the tourney with that roster.

Lacks good bigs at the 4 & 5 positions and very little 3 pt shooting.....Rose and Durrant will have to carry this team.

goose15
07-24-2010, 08:45 PM
McGee, Gordon, Green, Robin Lopez.

:shrug:

this

bigsams50
07-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Sucks guys like Howard, Wade, Bron and Bosh arnt playing. I mean this is for you freakin country.

On another note, hopefully Crash can make it. I think his rebounding and defense should give him the edge over a guy like Granger.

arkanian215
07-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Team USA Blue vs White is on right now!!!!
Go watch!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

NBA-GMaster
07-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Robin Lopez and David Lee had pulled their names out on the USA team due to their injury..

THE MTL
07-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Wasnt their articles about how Tyreke Evans expected to be cut and how Tyson Chandler is the best center on the team.

Mochalman
07-25-2010, 03:03 AM
Wasnt their articles about how Tyreke Evans expected to be cut and how Tyson Chandler is the best center on the team.

yea there is, just read it about an hour ago actually. evans will be cut due to super depth at the guard position and chandler is basically the only center next to brook lopez and someone i've never heard of.

granted this isn't going to be team usa's actual team. once the olympics start getting closer, all stars will join the team.

kylem4711
07-25-2010, 03:07 AM
goron had 16 points in 25 min going 4-7 from the three and had 2 steals. thats exactly what he needed to do. hopefully they keep him.

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Sucks guys like Howard, Wade, Bron and Bosh arnt playing. I mean this is for you freakin country.

On another note, hopefully Crash can make it. I think his rebounding and defense should give him the edge over a guy like Granger.

They aren't supposed to play. This is done has been done many times in the past for FIBA world championships. The big guys play in the Olympics. Along with likely a couple of players from this team to be added.

If that is the depth chart, there is a big time drop off in talent and no-where near a Dream team this time around. I would be surprised if the US wins the tourney with that roster.

Lacks good bigs at the 4 & 5 positions and very little 3 pt shooting.....Rose and Durrant will have to carry this team.

Eh, I think that talent still trumps any other country. The bigger concern is chemistry though.
I kinda like this team better because there is a far more obvious pecking order as opposed to the Redeem team that had trouble knowing who should carry that team come crunch time in the Spain game.

i think jeff green or rudy gay both have a shot just because they can play multiple positions. wallace is good, but not sure if he can play pf. we lack height this time around. we only have odom/brook/love/chandler

Well considering Wallace played a lot of PF during the season if I'm correct, I think he'll be fine. I mean the dude was one of the leading rebounders.

ldc62
07-25-2010, 03:09 AM
How did Robin Lopez make it? I can name like 10 young guys that are better than him.

kozelkid
Also after the games Gordon and Mayo had, I really hope they both stay. Lopez needs to go though. His game just doesn't fit the international game. Low post scoring simply isn't as valued in the international and he isn't as good of a rebounder as Chandler or Love, nor as good of a defender. Well he's better than Love, but Love being a good 3pt shooter makes him very valuable.

abe_froman

there arent a great amount of good young centers in the league right now(this past draft will probably change that though),ny told amare he couldnt play,lee is injured...so really who's left?

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 03:10 AM
How did Robin Lopez make it? I can name like 10 young guys that are better than him.

Very few centers in this league, and fewer who were interested.
I mean you got Howard was in the Olympics so you can count him out.
Yao, both Gasols, Noah, Kaman and Bogut play for other countries.
Bynum has injuries too often.
And all of a sudden you are left with Robin Lopez.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Why Jeff Green??? He's a really nice player and I think they will keep him on... Who was shocked by the way Billups played though? That performance could make him a candidate for staying home for sure.

asandhu23
07-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Game scorebox: http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/showcase_box_score__2010_07_24.html

robdizzle3
07-25-2010, 03:12 AM
I also heard Rob was still battling/recovering the injury he had last playoffs?
I forgot to take Lee out of the list... and Evans might of taken himself out of the running to make the roster.
Steph Curry? I think USA needs his shooting

I couldnt agree more with that. It was funny seeing all of those bricks being thrown up and most were wide open, but everytime Steph shot, the team would get up and raise their hand and he would nail it. We need shooting.

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Why Jeff Green??? He's a really nice player and I think they will keep him on... Who was shocked by the way Billups played though? That performance could make him a candidate for staying home for sure.

Jeff Green was terrible. Took so many poor shots. He's definitely gone. He's versatile, but he just isn't a nearly good enough shooter.

Billups played poorly, but he also has seniority. I'm willing to bet he starts at the 2, ALA Jason Kidd (well except he started at pg).

Odom was terrible and looked completely out of shape. I really hope he doesn't make it even though he has seniority. He really shouldn't qualify as a center.

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 03:14 AM
I couldnt agree more with that. It was funny seeing all of those bricks being thrown up and most were wide open, but everytime Steph shot, the team would get up and raise their hand and he would nail it. We need shooting.

My only issue with Steph is his size at the 2. I definitely would take Gordon and Mayo before him. Then again I'd also take Steph over Westbrook, but apparently reports suggest that Westbrook is a lock. :shrug:

robdizzle3
07-25-2010, 03:17 AM
My only issue with Steph is his size at the 2. I definitely would take Gordon and Mayo before him. Then again I'd also take Steph over Westbrook, but apparently reports suggest that Westbrook is a lock. :shrug:

I agree with the size, but we do need shooters and he seems to be the only knockdown shooter instead of Durant and Granger a bit.

Mochalman
07-25-2010, 03:19 AM
id take curry over 3/4 of the roster already.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Great sig Mo!!!

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 03:22 AM
I agree with the size, but we do need shooters and he seems to be the only knockdown shooter instead of Durant and Granger a bit.

Gordon, Chauncey and Mayo?
Like I said though, I'd take Curry over Westbrook.

robdizzle3
07-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Gordon, Chauncey and Mayo?
Like I said though, I'd take Curry over Westbrook.

I get with Chauncey, but Mayo and Gordon arent as effecient. I dont think we need Westbrook. Westbrook is just like Rondo and Rose IMO, well the type of players they are. Choose who you would rather want and Westbrook wouldnt be chosen. Pick Curry instead, because he gives you something different, as you said.

As for Green, we really dont need a tweener, because we have some of those guys already and he's not that good at anything really, that the guy's he's trying to beat out dont have.

ellesmeire
07-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Game scorebox: http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/showcase_box_score__2010_07_24.html

if I were to rate the top 5 based on today's game...it would be

1. KD
2. Rose
3. Gay
4. Mayo
5. Iggy

DreStylez
07-25-2010, 04:26 AM
My 12 Man Roster:
Rose/Curry
Billups/Gordon
Igoudala/Granger
Durant/Gay/Wallace
Chandler/Odom/Love

-I don't have Rondo on here because he turned the ball over a lot today and he isn't much of a scoring threat from the perimeter, a shot he needs to take a lot, since in Euro basketball they prevent the drive due to constant collapsing of the zone
-I preferred Gordon over Westbrook since he is more of a scoring threat as well and he looked really good from the 3pt line today. It was a toss up between Gordon and Mayo but I picked Gordon
-I picked Wallace over Green because he is a better rebounder than Green plus he is a better scorer
- I had to have Granger on here as well since he can play the 2,3, and 4 same goes with Gay, Durant, and Igoudala.
-Igoudala has a 3pt shot now!
-Love looked great today and he's perfect for Euro basketball with his 3pt range
-Chandler didn't looked too bad. He's a little late at times during defense sequences. Horrible Free Throw Shooter!
-Odom needs to stop taking 3pt shots PERIOD! They played him at center since he could bring the ball up after a rebound, which I liked, but he shot too much from the 3!

Venomous88
07-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Who'd I like to see cut from the team

Mayo, Odom, McGee, Gordon or Green

Venomous88
07-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Who I expect to get cut

Evans (ankle injury), McGee, Lopez (horrible game today), Granger (also a horrible game and is competing with Wallace who is a better rebounder and defender).

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-25-2010, 05:29 AM

This. Definitely this.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Gordon had an amazing game today. No way he gets cut so quickly. He was knocking down the threes with ease which is exactly what this team will need since we will face the zone 95% of the time. Same with Mayo, he was also shooting lights out, but i think he will eventually get cut because i think he will shoot it a too much.

Black24Momba8
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Tyson Chandler no offence
Tyreke Evans no jumper
Jeff Green to many great players same spot
David Lee Odem can do more
Robin Lopez Brook is better
Gerald Wallace Iggy is a better option

arkanian215
07-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Love was really impressive. He can definitely play without having to be fed the ball and works the glass like his life depends on it. Him and Chandler should be top 2 in the C depth chart.

Krzyzewski
"We don't need our big guys to be scorers. We need our big guys to be shot-blockers, rebounders and screeners."

Mplsman
07-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Lee(injury), R Lopez, Mcgee, Green, Evans(injury)

NBA-GMaster
07-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Lee, Lopez and Evans are definitely out due to injury..
Gordon,McGee and Green will be cut.. 15 remaning left..

Durant, Rose, Iguodala, Gay and Billups will surely be in the USA Team..

Billups/Rose/Rondo
Iguodala/(Curry or Westbrook or Mayo)
Durant/Gay
Granger/Wallace/Odom
Chandler/(Lopez or Love)

NBA-GMaster
07-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Billups/Rose/Rondo
Durant/Gay
Granger/Wallace/Odom
Chandler/(Lopez or Love)

Comparing from the USA redeem team:
Durant = James
Iguodala = Bryant
Rose = Wade
Rondo = Paul
Gay = Redd
Chandler = Howard
Granger = Anthony
Billups = Kidd
Odom = Boozer
Wallace = Prince
Love or Lopez = Bosh
Curry or Westbrook or Mayo = Williams

kozelkid
07-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Billups/Rose/Rondo
Durant/Gay
Granger/Wallace/Odom
Chandler/(Lopez or Love)

Comparing from the USA redeem team:
Durant = James
Iguodala = Bryant
Gay = Wade
Rose = Paul
Rondo = Williams
Chandler = Howard
Granger = Anthony
Billups = Kidd
Odom = Boozer
Wallace = Prince
Love or Lopez = Bosh
Curry or Westbrook or Mayo = Redd

I actually think Rose will have more of the Wade role. I just have a feeling they will start Rondo over Rose cause of seniority.

if I were to rate the top 5 based on today's game...it would be

1. KD
2. Rose
3. Gay
4. Mayo
5. Iggy

Honestly, I thought Iggy had the best game. KD and Gay had WAY too many TOs. They really shouldn't be handling the ball as much as they did. I understand that Durant is the best, but he really has to let the pg's handle the ball more. He's trying to do too much early on and really should only be looking to take over come crunch time.

I get with Chauncey, but Mayo and Gordon arent as effecient. I dont think we need Westbrook. Westbrook is just like Rondo and Rose IMO, well the type of players they are. Choose who you would rather want and Westbrook wouldnt be chosen. Pick Curry instead, because he gives you something different, as you said.

As for Green, we really dont need a tweener, because we have some of those guys already and he's not that good at anything really, that the guy's he's trying to beat out dont have.

They are just as good 3pt shooters... The fact that they are also bigger and stronger helps as well.

Tyson Chandler no offence
Tyreke Evans no jumper
Jeff Green to many great players same spot
David Lee Odem can do more
Robin Lopez Brook is better
Gerald Wallace Iggy is a better option

Chandler is definitely staying. I can't stress it enough, low post scoring isn't nearly as valuable in the international game. In 08, you hardly saw anything from Howard in the offensive end. His true value was on defense and rebounding. And out of the centers on this team, Chandler is definitely the best in that department, and offensively he'll likely at most be the recipient of alley oops which I'd also say he's the best at out of this group. Plus he has prior experience.

Russell_Roberts
07-26-2010, 07:35 AM
rose will start over rondo.. and i know mayo wont be in there

hans dolo
07-26-2010, 08:47 AM
cut iguodala