PDA

View Full Version : Mat Latos

baseballguru3
07-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I had no idea who this guy even was until I looked at the era leaders.... and he's only 22???

SD fans wanna rep their guy a little here and tell us what he's like now and what his potential is?

Zmaster52
07-24-2010, 11:40 AM
He's a developing ace

:shrug:

RedSoxFan2434
07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
He's sick i dropped him in Fantasy in April. I'm a huge baseball (Red Sox) fan neva herd of this guy till my friend told me about him.

Rad_Racing
07-24-2010, 11:51 AM
He tore up the A and AA last year (I think) and found himself getting starts by mid-summer, he had a few bad games, but showed great potential. Padres had pretty high expectations for him this year...I'm guessing they didn't expect this though.

zambo4president
07-24-2010, 03:50 PM
There's no such thing as a Padres fan:laugh2:. I lived in SD for the last 6 years up until 3 weeks ago and the town hates that team, all bandwagon fans now. Latos is beast though, he is fortunate to be pitching at Petco Park one of the biggest pitcher's parks in the MLB. Latos was their top pitching prospect so this isn't some average joe story, he was supposed to be tearin it up.

moshy2
07-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Ive been expecting him to cool down and he just hasnt yet. Dont think they can continue to ride him into october but hes having an incredible year so far

Diesel44
07-24-2010, 04:15 PM
There's no such thing as a Padres fan:laugh2:. I lived in SD for the last 6 years up until 3 weeks ago and the town hates that team, all bandwagon fans now. Latos is beast though, he is fortunate to be pitching at Petco Park one of the biggest pitcher's parks in the MLB. Latos was their top pitching prospect so this isn't some average joe story, he was supposed to be tearin it up.

Well I've lived here my whole life and been a fan through both the good and bad years and know many Padre fans the same as me. I don't know what this transplant is talking about. I tolerate transplants here in SD all the time, but I won't tolerate them mouthing off. We hated the former owner for unloading some players but thats it. There are always bandwagon fans when you start winning anywhere, just like there are always the hardcore fans. By the way, like Peavey when he was here, Latos's away numbers are better than his Petco Park numbers.

whitesoxfan83
07-24-2010, 04:17 PM
The most impressive thing is that he is actually pitching just as good on the road...

ahoda
07-24-2010, 08:17 PM
He's sick i dropped him in Fantasy in April. I'm a huge baseball (Red Sox) fan neva herd of this guy till my friend told me about him.

If it makes you feel better hes a big Red Sox fan so don't be surprised if you see him play there at some point in his career, but he does love it in SD and his fiance is from San Fran so he will most likely stay on the West Coast as much as possible

iggypop123
07-24-2010, 08:26 PM
petco park?

Gigantes4Life
07-24-2010, 08:31 PM
petco park?

I'm sure that's the reason he has a K/BB rate over 3.

idrinkpepsi
07-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Even without Petco Park factored in he has been fantastic this year.

Giants&Phils
07-24-2010, 08:47 PM
He's having a great year, has good stuff.

t327
07-24-2010, 09:03 PM

The Chargers are much more beloved, but the Padres still have a decent fan base. Maybe not as "good" as others but there are die-hards just like any other team. Certainly, nobody in San Diego hates the Padres...unless there are transplants from SF or LA (which there are). I was one of them for 5 years.

Ian.
07-24-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm sure that's the reason he has a K/BB rate over 3.

Yeah. The batter's eye is so far away that pitchers can't tell if the incoming pitch is a ball or strike. Duh.

Gigantes4Life
07-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah. The batter's eye is so far away that pitchers can't tell if the incoming pitch is a ball or strike. Duh.

No that's not it. San Diego has special winds that makes balls go over the strikezone at good times, and dive out when the batter swings.

It's called science.

Batters are also distracted by the women.

PhillyLuver
07-24-2010, 09:22 PM

I've lived in SD my whole life and there are a ton of great Pads fans here..

Latos is great though

The Final Boss
07-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Flash in the pan.

Ian.
07-24-2010, 09:46 PM
No that's not it. San Diego has special winds that makes balls go over the strikezone at good times, and dive out when the batter swings.

It's called science.

Batters are also distracted by the women.

Oh, my mistake.

Flash in the pan.

Yep. Nevermind his legit peripherals!

zambo4president
07-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I've lived in SD my whole life and there are a ton of great Pads fans here..

Latos is great though

Yeah but your like 13 PL, there's not much of a fan base, and of course I didn't literally mean there is no fans, I guess few fans would have been more appropriate.

Gigantes4Life
07-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Flash in the pan.

:laugh2:

Right, he's lucked into striking guys out and avoiding the base on balls.

CleetMcGheet
07-24-2010, 10:46 PM
He's got electric stuff. He's only had one really bad outing (against Florida, if I remember correctly) where he gave up like 7 runs or something. The Padres are planning on limiting his innings to avoid injury, which could hurt them in the playoff race

PhillyLuver
07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Yeah but your like 13 PL, there's not much of a fan base, and of course I didn't literally mean there is no fans, I guess few fans would have been more appropriate.

I'm two years younger than you man, I think the fans here are pretty loyal here. Not an awesome baseball market, but they support the team.

yuoke
07-25-2010, 12:44 AM
There's no such thing as a Padres fan. I lived in SD for the last 6 years up until 3 weeks ago and the town hates that team, all bandwagon fans now. Latos is beast though, he is fortunate to be pitching at Petco Park one of the biggest pitcher's parks in the MLB. Latos was their top pitching prospect so this isn't some average joe story, he was supposed to be tearin it up.

So Padres=Heat

CleetMcGheet
07-25-2010, 01:38 AM

I don't even know of many bandwagon fans here... Most people just don't give a damn about the team. Bandwagoners for the Chargers is a whole other story though

Your Name Here
07-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I've got him at $1 in both of my keeper auction leagues. Which is pretty goddamned awesome.

Ian.
07-25-2010, 01:45 AM
I've got him at $1 in both of my keeper auction leagues. Which is pretty goddamned awesome.

Yeah, I drafted him in a league where players are assigned dollar values for their rank before the season and we're given a bunch of different lengths to assign to specific players. He cost me $1 and I used one of my 6 year contract lengths on him.

robdizzle3
07-25-2010, 01:49 AM
I dont think there are many Pads fans on this board. Ive been in their side of the forum and not too many people are in there. Latos looks to be a very good pitcher. He throws harder than I thought he is and knows how to locate.

Your Name Here
07-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I drafted him in a league where players are assigned dollar values for their rank before the season and we're given a bunch of different lengths to assign to specific players. He cost me $1 and I used one of my 6 year contract lengths on him.

I'm not nearly that lucky.

One league simply raises the salary by $1 for each year he's kept, with no limits to length. So by the time Latos retires, I could still be paying him under $20. (I've got Andrus at $2 and J Upton at $9 this year as well)

The other league raises the salary by $3 each year, with a 3 year max before they are thrown back into the auction pool. So $1 this year, $4 next, and $7 the year after that, and then I'll have to let him go.

GoatMilk
07-25-2010, 02:01 AM
he has patchy tattos on his arms

t327
07-25-2010, 03:51 AM
he has patchy tattos on his arms

Almost as ugly as Kershaw's patchy pube-beard.

Yankees Suck
07-25-2010, 04:19 AM

What?

bolts4ever
07-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Huge pads fan and Latos is the best pitcher on the best pitching staff in baseball statistically. Pitches like a vet fastaball 95, changeup, slider, curveball. Latos Should have been an all-star .

we dont gloat much in San Diego well lay low and see you after we quietly win the division. lol... but really the padres are a big surprise localy as they are nationally so everyone is still weary. But I think were a very good team.

SFGiants
07-25-2010, 05:51 AM
:laugh2:

baseballguru3
07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
latos moves into top 5 for cy young!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/cliff_corcoran/07/26/cy.young/index.html

Padres Son
07-28-2010, 11:24 AM

WTF does it matter what the fanbase is like? The thread is about a pitcher on the Padres. You have nothing to add except that the fanbase sucks (false) and that Latos is lucky he's pitching in PETCO (also false)? You are not needed or wanted here.

To the topic at hand: Latos is the real deal. His fastball is consistent at 94-95 and can get it up to 97-98 with movement. He's got a good slider and curve and if he can improve his change a little bit, he'll be unhittable. He's still a young kid and had some issues with maturity while he was in the minors, but he's made a real effort to "grow up" and act like professional and has done a great job so far.

The only real weakness I've seen from him so far is mental. If he's throwing a good game and hangs one out over the plate that gets hit for a double, you can see that his mind is still on that pitch when he's facing the next batter. Then he's more likely to give up another hit because he's not focused. He needs to learn how to forget about his mistakes and just get back to his pitching.

But, yeah, hopefully he's going to be the Pads ace for many years to come.

Pinstripe pride
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
he;s going to be something specail. guys a beast right now