PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine what STAR player plays for which franchise on All-Time Teams?

JordansBulls
07-23-2010, 07:48 PM
When determing All-Time Franchise Teams and it's players how do you determine what player will play for what Franchise?

Example:

Kareem was probably at his Best with Milwaukee and he won a title with them.
He was still great with LA, but not as good as he was in Milwaukee but he won more with LA. So on an all time team, does he go to Milwaukee or LA?

Moses Malone played great with Houston, won 2 MVP's and took his team to the finals.
He played with Philly as well and won a title and 1 MVP

So for him, would he be considered on the Sixers team or the Rockets all time team?

Kevin Garnett was at his peak with Minny, won league MVP and was a consistent MVP candidate. Went to Boston and won DPOY and a title. So for him, is he on the Celtics all time team or the T-Wolves

Those are just some examples, but how do you decide on if a player is on one all time team vs another one?

still1ballin
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Mike James

abe_froman
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
why cant he be considered both?

DCSportsIsPain
07-23-2010, 07:50 PM
In the cases of the players you mentioned it would be the teams of which they chose to enter the Hall Of Fame as members.

ldc62
07-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Jordan - Wizards
Barkley - Rockets
Pippen - Trailblazers
Shaq- Magic
Malone- Lakers

gbrl
07-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Mike James

this is a good way to start off all threads :laugh:

JordansBulls
why cant he be considered both?

Because if it is a tournament why would they be allowed on both?

djlamer
In the cases of the players you mentioned it would be the teams of which they chose to enter the Hall Of Fame as members.
thats a good idea

i was thinking about which team he retired on should be his team.
or maybe where he won the most at

MiamiWadeCounty
07-23-2010, 08:02 PM
the player could choose either one or possibly both

GeekInThePink
07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
mike james

+1

Jaji
07-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I saw a few years ago someone made an All-time Hawks team and Rasheed Wallace was the starting 4 :laugh2:.

bholly
07-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Because if it is a tournament why would they be allowed on both?

Because any such tournament is completely hypothetical anyway, so you can make the rules however you like?

I say they can be on both, but you only can count how good they were when they were on that team. Eg Milwaukee's starting centre could be '1969-75 Karem/Lew' while LA's could be '1975-89 Kareem'. I don't see a problem.

JordansBulls
07-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Because any such tournament is completely hypothetical anyway, so you can make the rules however you like?

I say they can be on both, but you only can count how good they were when they were on that team. Eg Milwaukee's starting centre could be '1969-75 Karem/Lew' while LA's could be '1975-89 Kareem'. I don't see a problem.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/features/nbaLineup?page=lineup/mil

They should have listed Kareem on the Bucks.

And not on the Lakers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/features/nbaLineup?page=lineup/lal

DCSportsIsPain
07-23-2010, 10:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/features/nbaLineup?page=lineup/mil

They should have listed Kareem on the Bucks.

And not on the Lakers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/features/nbaLineup?page=lineup/lal

That's BSPN. They can't even get it right by accident.

Much better source:
BR (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/abdulka01.html)

Hellcrooner
07-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Most success.

Most years Played

if the teams are tied in years team where got mroe succes.

if tyed in succes team he layed closer to retirement.

if tied stil and player left on bad terms with one of them goes to the other team.

Shaq = Magic basing on this ( only because he left on abd terms in lakers)

Kareem = Lakers.

Wilt = Warriors

and so on.

Hellcrooner
07-24-2010, 01:09 AM
funny thing is laker s all time roster if you get rid of positions would look something like

6,9 magic at Pg and then 4 centers Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq.

If you go by "players who played by position" its like Magic, Kobe(finally earned over west this year),Worhty, Gasol, Kareem.

or shoudl gasol be in Memphis roster==????'

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
funny thing is laker s all time roster if you get rid of positions would look something like

6,9 magic at Pg and then 4 centers Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq.

If you go by "players who played by position" its like Magic, Kobe(finally earned over west this year),Worhty, Gasol, Kareem.

or shoudl gasol be in Memphis roster==????'

good point

I think it goes by where most of their media fame came from personally.

king4day
07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Years with the team, loyalty, and team success. Player success is important as long as the team succeeds as well.
I don't see Bosh being considered an alltime raptor as the teams were never that successful.

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Years with the team, loyalty, and team success. Player success is important as long as the team succeeds as well.
I don't see Bosh being considered an alltime raptor as the teams were never that successful.

With their team's short history though, he, Vince, and maybe even T-Mac could be on their all time team.

JordansBulls
07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
With their team's short history though, he, Vince, and maybe even T-Mac could be on their all time team.

Yes, and please no Hakeem on the Raptors. Posters always put him on that team for an all time team.

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, and please no Hakeem on the Raptors. Posters always put him on that team for an all time team.

God no....I'd rather see Antonio Davis. Who would be on the Grizzlies though?

GeekInThePink
07-27-2010, 12:18 PM
this is a good way to start off all threads :laugh:

+1

JordansBulls
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
God no....I'd rather see Antonio Davis. Who would be on the Grizzlies though?

Gasol for sure and then just name 4 other guys.

S-Dot
07-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Gasol for sure and then just name 4 other guys.

1. Jason Williams
2. O.J. Mayo
3. Rudy Gay
4. Shareef Abdur-Rahim
5. Pau Gasol

Chronz
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Most success.

Most years Played

if the teams are tied in years team where got mroe succes.

if tyed in succes team he layed closer to retirement.

if tied stil and player left on bad terms with one of them goes to the other team.

Shaq = Magic basing on this ( only because he left on abd terms in lakers)

Kareem = Lakers.

Wilt = Warriors

and so on.
Wilts end in San Francisco was comparable to Shaqs end in LA. They still retired his #, your insane if you think this keeps Shaq out of his rightful place among LA's best.

JordansBulls
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Wilts end in San Francisco was comparable to Shaqs end in LA. They still retired his #, your insane if you think this keeps Shaq out of his rightful place among LA's best.

Yeah, I don't see how you don't retire Shaq's number in LA. 3 titles, 3 finals mvp's, scoring title and league mvp.

Hellcrooner
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
never said i wouldnt retire shaqs number.

but if i have to chose only 1 center for alltime lakers roster id rather take mijkan or kareem.

as for gasol on gfrizz roster.....yea he is their pbets player e ver but also he is the best PF ever to play for lakers ( SOrry but kar malone in a all time lakers roster makes the same sense than jhakeem in toronto or ewing in orlando/seattle)

ALL_i-Do_is-Win
07-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Jordan - Wizards
Barkley - Rockets
Pippen - Trailblazers
Shaq- Magic
Malone- Lakers

Did you just say Jordan to wiz? rly? wth? hahaha :facepalm:
someone has issues

IrespectNumber3
07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't understand the question, One star player for 2 franchises can be on both All-Time teams.

If the question is simply what team of franchise a player should represent then that's simpler then you may think. It's the team he played for which he is known for, which he was most successful for. There is only 1 or 2 players who are Hall of Famers in the last 2 years which it can truly go either way. For example.

Charles Barley Suns/Sixers

Kevin Garnett will always be a Celtic. Boston will retire his jersey. Despite he made more accomplishments in Minnesota he reached ultimate notoriety when joining the Celtics.

Shaq Lakers hands down.

Tracy Mcgrady Magic
Vince Carter Raptors as much as he hated them.

S-Dot
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't understand the question, One star player for 2 franchises can be on both All-Time teams.

If the question is simply what team of franchise a player should represent then that's simpler then you may think. It's the team he played for which he is known for, which he was most successful for. There is only 1 or 2 players who are Hall of Famers in the last 2 years which it can truly go either way. For example.

Charles Barley Suns/Sixers

Kevin Garnett will always be a Celtic. Boston will retire his jersey. Despite he made more accomplishments in Minnesota he reached ultimate notoriety when joining the Celtics.

Shaq Lakers hands down.

Tracy Mcgrady Magic
Vince Carter Raptors as much as he hated them.

That KG one is tough. Alot of people still asssociate him as the Timberwolves franchise. He won an MVP there too. That's a tough call.

Chronz
07-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I don't see how you don't retire Shaq's number in LA. 3 titles, 3 finals mvp's, scoring title and league mvp.
Yup

never said i wouldnt retire shaqs number.

but if i have to chose only 1 center for alltime lakers roster id rather take mijkan or kareem.

as for gasol on gfrizz roster.....yea he is their pbets player e ver but also he is the best PF ever to play for lakers ( SOrry but kar malone in a all time lakers roster makes the same sense than jhakeem in toronto or ewing in orlando/seattle)
Thats not the point, the issue is, if the team is willing to retire him, then what makes you think they wouldnt put him on this hypothetical team?

mRc08
07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
it basically should just go by who they want to represent in the HOF. Granted, not every player goes into being in the hall of fame, but when we are talking "all time greats" for a particular team, then usually those players are in the hall.

Hellcrooner
07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
btw there are player who will et their number tretired in multuple teams.

shaq will get it in orlando, lakers and maybe even heat.

kg both in wolves and celtics.

if e verything goes as planned james will be retired in cleveland and miami.

and i gues s a gasol hanging in both lakers and grizz is not out of the question

JordansBulls
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Personally I think you should have to play at least 3 years with a franchise to qualify. Just for comparison's sake a players 3rd year in the NBA he is considered a veteran.